Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

6th Astron 1430 SR

Aragorn was surprised to see Bag End's front door wide open. Frodo grabbed his hand and almost dragged him out, where the Elves were already gathered.

       "Now turn to your left," Frodo said.

       Aragorn turned and looked down the Hill and gasped. He had seen mallorn trees before but this was such a special tree in a special place. The mallorn's buds had opened to greet the morning sun and the tree looked as though its crown was on fire. Against the backdrop of the Shire with its lush green meadows, brown ploughed fields and the delicate green of new leaf in the woods, the white of blackthorn blossom and bright yellow forsythia, the deep gold of the mallorn was especially vivid. She seemed to have grown, even since the previous day, and her silver-white boughs lifted to salute the morning.

       "She always flowers for Sam's birthday," Frodo said softly.

       "The only mallorn west of the mountains and east of the Sea. She is beautiful." Aragorn saluted the tree with great respect.

       "Here is another beauty," said Elladan, gesturing towards the magnolia tree in the garden, its great creamy-pink trumpets open to celebrate the day.

       Faramir, Beregond, Bergil and the King's cousins joined them on the path. Never having seen such trees before they were overwhelmed by the sight of the golden fire which ringed the mallorn's crown like a halo.

       "I thought Ithilien was beautiful but the Shire is perfect," murmured Faramir.

       "One can only imagine what a whole forest of mallorns would look like," said Tarondor.

       Nibs arrived with the milk just then, and everyone went into the kitchen. Sam strolled down the passage from the nursery with Merry-lad on his shoulders.

       "Your tree is blooming, Sam," said Bergil.

       "Aye. She's a rare beauty."

       "Talking about me again, Sam?" Rose enquired, her eyes twinkling.

       "Always, Rosie, my love." He ducked as she swatted him lightly with a tea towel. "Is that any way to treat your husband on his birthday?"

       "It is when he starts lavishing more attention on his trees than on his wife," she said archly. "Not to mention telling bare-faced fibs!" She bounced out of the room with a chuckle.

       Breakfast was a cheerfully chaotic feast, punctuated with much laughter and merriment. When the last plate was washed and put away they all trooped into the parlour and brought out their birthday gifts.

       "Sam, this comes with love and respect for your courage, common sense and love." Aragorn handed over a large package. "I believe Arwen has added something too."

       Sam pretended to feel the parcel, turning it in his hands while the children groaned and fidgeted. When he felt he could not keep up the charade any longer, and his offspring were all begging him to open it, he did so. Inside was a silk waistcoat in a deep green embroidered with silver leaves, and a large book in blue leather. Sam read the title page and looked up, his face shining with delight.

       "A book of healing!"

       "The Master of the Houses' own book, Sam. I had it copied with his blessing."

       "This is wonderful - all the herbs and their uses. Thank you, my dear Strider." He embraced Aragorn.

       "It is my pleasure - and there will be more surprises before the end of the day."

       Faramir handed over a box. "This compliments the other gift, Sam. You'll be able to set up your own healing garden now."

       The box contained seeds and small cuttings from many of the healing herbs used in Gondor and Ithilien, as well as some which only grew in the North and had been brought from Rivendell by the Twins. Sam was thrilled and honoured and could hardly wait to begin planting his new treasures.

       Beregond and Bergil presented him with a magnificent new saddle and bridle for Bill. There was a statue of Bill in gold, from Eomer, which delighted Sam very much. Tarondor and Halboron were apologetic that they had not brought gifts.

       "Bless you, how could you? You didn't even know you were coming here until you arrived at the Pony. Anyway, we don't worry much about receiving gifts on our birthdays here in the Shire. Your gift is your being here with us."

       Legolas had brought fine beech and silver birch saplings from the Greenwood. The graceful trees were his father's favourites and he knew Sam admired them too.

       There were some fine new shirts from Rose and assorted little items from the children. Frodo's gift was a pocket watch, not unlike his own, with a chain. Gimli had made it and brought it with him.

       "To go across the Mayoral tum, Sam," he teased.

       "When I was a little lad I used to look at that watch of Mister Bilbo's and wonder what it would be like to have one." Sam put his thumbs in his weskit pockets and laughed.

       "Ah yes, that is most impressive," said Legolas and everyone agreed.

                                                                          ***********

       By the time they reached the Party Field preparations were well underway. Cooks from several Shire inns had begun to set up kitchens, others were unloading barrels from carts. On the far side of the field the Tooks and Brandybucks were arriving.

       "Uncle Estel!" a small voice cried, and Persimmon hurtled across the grass and threw herself at Aragorn. She wrapped her arms tightly around his calves and beamed up. "You've growed !"

       He laughed and swung her into his arms. "I doubt I've grown since you last saw me, Mistress Mischief!" He did indeed look very tall and noble in a dark blue velvet tunic embroidered in silver thread with the White Tree and seven stars. His suede boots and breeches were the same colour and his hair was lightly braided at the sides in the Elven style.

       Everyone smiled to see the Man with the little hobbit lass. Within minutes he had attracted more and could be seen walking around the Party Field with a following of younglings. Baby Lily squealed when she saw him, crawling across the grass at a rate and sitting on his boots until he picked her up. When he sat down he completely disappeared as they all clambered over him and settled for a story.

       Frodo chuckled. "They won't want him to leave. And I must say it's nice to see someone else buried under bouncing hobbitlings for a change!"

       Rose and her mother were arranging plates of cold meat, cheeses, bread, butter and other assorted edibles, assisted by the Elves and young Bergil. In the kitchen area there was intense preparation, with cooks scurrying about, chopping and mixing ingredients.

       Sam, wearing his suit from Gondor, was at the entrance to greet his guests and hand out the gifts. There was something for everyone and the children were amazed by the wonderful things. Young Will Sandyman received a beautifully carved pony which Sam had made. The lad was eager to work with the animals and had already developed a knack of dealing with them. For Teddy there was a carved hiking stick, as the older Sandyman lad enjoyed walking round the Shire when he was not busy at the Mill. The stick was decorated with skillfully carved flowers and animals. For Violet there was a toy rabbit, which pleased her immensely, and for Lily a pretty necklace of blue and green glass beads. The present for Ivy Sandyman had been in the mathom room - a footstool with a lid, and inside were all manner of sewing materials, silks, cotton reels and everything else the seamstress might require. She was overwhelmed. Little Columbine Carter was totally enraptured by the large toy lamb she had been given. She embraced Sam and then trotted round showing her mathom to everyone.

       Sam's brothers and sisters were all present, with their families. Daisy appeared to have taken charge of everyone and was keeping the children under control.

       All six Men were touched and honoured to be presented with beautifully carved hobbit bows. Gimli was delighted with his tankard and for Legolas there was a large selection of seeds and Shire plants to take back to Ithilien.

       The Men decided to take the opportunity for a little sword practice in the field next door. Pip went in to spar with the Lord Thorongil while Merry did the same with Faramir, watched with approval by their fathers and many other Shire hobbits. Eglantine was more than a little alarmed to see her son exchanging blows with the tall Man but Paladin assured her that Pippin was a very capable opponent.

       Tully Noakes looked on in admiration. "That is a magnificent sword, I must say."

       "You'll never see a finer one than that," murmured Frodo, standing alongside Tully and leaning on the fence.

       Young Hobson, Will and Teddy and many other teens and tweens were watching open-mouthed. Their opinion of the Men was growing and their respect for the Captains knew no bounds.

       Pip dodged, ducked low and nipped in under Aragorn's arm to aim triumphantly at his chest, only to have his sword whisked out of his hand and sent flying across the grass.

       "Blast it!" he cried, laughing. "You always do that to me, my lord."

       Aragorn clasped Pip's hand. "Fighting with you has forced me to be much more inventive, my dear friend. You have learned much since those days in Hollin - and so have I." He returned Pip's sword, hilt first, and Pip bowed as he took it.

       Tarondor and Halboron took turns to try their luck with their cousin and certainly their fighting styles were similar. Faramir and Beregond sparred together with their usual familiarity and Bergil and the hobbits spent some time practising together.

       Hyacinth Bracegirdle stared at Frodo with a glazed look in her eyes. He was wearing the forest green silk velvet suit made for him by Queen Arwen, with the cream silk weskit embroidered with small gold flowers. He blushed and shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny and sighed in relief when he saw Aragorn advancing.

       "Ah, Mrs Bracegirdle, may I introduce the Lord Thorongil and his cousins, Lord Halboron and the Steward of Arnor, the Lord Tarondor."

       The formidable lady curtseyed, her eyes widening by the minute. Frodo withdrew, leaving her fluttering and simpering as the Men bowed.

       "I see what you mean about the 'Gap of Rohan'!" Faramir murmured, to snorts from Merry and Pip.

       "I'm sure Aragorn will cope. Oh dear, I hope he will. We might have to mount a rescue."

       When their stomachs reminded them that food was required they returned to the Party Field for a combined Second Breakfast and elevenses. The smell of cooking from the large kitchen area was making everyone hungry but they contented themselves with ham and egg pie, sandwiches and cakes, washed down with lemonade or ginger ale. The children begged for more stories and Faramir told them of brave Captain Boromir of Gondor, while Pippin told them about Bilbo Baggins and his meeting with Smaug.

       It was Elanor who saw the old Man first. He was wandering down the lane from the direction of Overhill, past Bag End and clearly making his way towards the Party Field.

       "Who's that? Men aren't allowed in the Shire without permission, are they, Da?"

       Merry smiled and winked at his father. "It's alright, Ellie-girl. That Man has permission to enter."

       Frodo rose and looked hard at the figure. The old Man was tall, bearded and dressed in dusty brown robes. He looked vaguely familiar, or rather he looked much like another old friend. Several birds fluttered around him and a squirrel sat on his shoulder. Rufus and his mother were walking beside him too.

       "It can't be.................but.....it is...... It must be Radagast!"

       "A wizard!" cried Frodo-lad, leaping up. Other children looked equally excited when they heard this, although some were disappointed that Gandalf the Grey had not put in an appearance.

       "Merry, you and Sara knew he was coming?"

       Merry nodded. "He arrived at the Bridge the day after you left. Uncle Pal and Da invited him to come. He knew somehow that there was to be an important celebration. He stayed one night at the Hall and then made his own way here. Said he wanted to take a good look at the Shire on his way."

       "Greetings, my friends. I hope I am permitted to visit you and give my good wishes to Master Samwise on such an important occasion?" Reaching the gate, the wizard bowed to the byrding.

       "Mister Radagast sir, you are more than welcome. We have never met but I know you were Mister Gandalf's friend, and any friend of his is a friend of ours." Sam held out his hand and the wizard clasped it.

       Frodo stepped up and welcomed the guest. "Gandalf always spoke of you with great affection. You remain in Middle-earth willingly?"

       Radagast bowed. "I am honoured that Gandalf mentioned me. He was the greatest of us and deserves praise and honour and his return to the West. I am also honoured to meet you, Frodo Baggins, for there was no-one in Middle-earth whom Gandalf admired and loved more. Yes, I remain willingly, for there are hurts to heal and lands and creatures who need me yet. Gandalf's great task was to inspire the Free Peoples against Sauron, but perhaps mine is to heal the damage which Sauron caused." He looked at Aragorn and bowed deeply. "My lord King," he said quietly, "I see the Shirefolk do not yet realise who you are. I shall keep silence also but I rejoice to see you again."

       "Again?" Frodo echoed, curious.

       Aragorn smiled as they walked across the grass to sit on a bench. "In my wanderings over many years I sometimes met with Radagast as well as with Gandalf, although I was never sure if he knew who I was."

       "Not at first. Just as well, since I might have revealed you to the traitor Curunir. I still curse myself that I betrayed Gandalf to him inadvertantly, old fool that I am!"

       "I'm sure Gandalf never blamed you for that. Saruman deceived him too, as he deceived all except the Lady Galadriel. She alone seemed to discern that he was departing from the path he was supposed to tread."

       Sam introduced Rose and the children, and soon Radagast was supplied with a mug of ale and the pipeweed jar, while Marigold fetched pie and crusty bread and butter. Rufus sat at the wizard's feet and Sweet Pea curled up on his lap.

       "I see why Gandalf was so fond of the Shirefolk and so keen to pay regular visits!"

                                                                          ***********

       After lunch the archery demonstration began. Butts had been set up in the adjoining field and everyone produced their bows. Bergil was surprised when Esme joined them.

       "Oh! I had no idea that the ladies of the Shire were expert archers."

       "I was born a Took, my dear, and ever since the time of Thain Ferumbras the Second the women of the family have been taught to defend themselves and the Tookland. The Thain's younger brother, Bandobras the Bullroarer, advised him that they should."

       Everyone was surprised when Frodo returned from a trip to Bag End carrying his own bow.

       "You have a bow?" Aragorn asked. "I had no idea you were an archer."

       "So you think I'm a clumsy incompetent unable to hit a cow's backside with a shovel?" Frodo enquired with a mischievous twinkle. "Sara taught me to shoot when I was no more than twelve or thirteen."

       "Of course we don't think you're clumsy. I just never realised you knew how to use a bow. I'd have given you mine in Moria if I'd known! You are ever full of surprises, my dear hobbit. Is it Bilbo's?"

       "No, it belonged to my father. Not that I've ever killed anything with it. I only ever used it on targets. You know me, I could never kill a living thing. I haven't even touched it for about twenty years but when Merry mentioned this I began to practice again - secretly so Sam didn't notice."

       "And you'll still do better than me," muttered Merry ruefully. "I'm useless at archery."

       "Rubbish! There is nothing wrong with your skill as an archer. You just lose patience too quickly like the impetuous Brandybuck you are."

       The Elves shot first, making the whole thing look ridiculously easy. Legolas found the centre of the target most often, and was applauded loudly by the hobbits. The Men were also very skilled, and the Lord Thorongil was easily the most graceful although Lord Halboron was slightly more accurate. The hobbits astonished everyone. They were business-like in their approach but ruthlessly effective. The large group demonstrated individual marksmanship and then formed a square. The first row fired, then dropped to their knees to allow the second row to fire over their heads. This continued until the last column had released their arrows, then their commander, the Thain, called out and the front row stood up and fired again.

       Faramir applauded. "I should not like to be on the receiving end of that storm of arrows."

       "Indeed not," Aragorn agreed. "They are well-organised and very efficient. No wonder King Arvedui wished for their services. Hobbits continue to surprise us it seems."

       Paladin looked pleased. He had been drilling the Shire-muster for weeks for this event. "If we wish to, we can fire the arrows skywards, so they come down like hail behind enemy lines.Those ruffians certainly didn't hang around when we started firing!"

       Merry, Pip and Frodo acquitted themselves well when it came to the individual shooting. Merry decided to free his competitive Brandybuck side and was furious when his second shot hit the outer circle. His mortification was increased when his mother hit the centre with all three shots, although to her credit she had been trying not to.

       "Mer's so competitive," Pip confided in a loud whisper to Frodo, who grinned.

       "I'd noticed! I beat him at tiddleywinks when he was seven and he threw all the counters into the river. If he'd been bigger I'm sure I would have gone in as well!"

       Sam looked fit to burst with pride when Frodo scored almost as many points as Esme, and even Merry laughed and hugged his cousin and his mother.

       "Don't you go overdoing things now," Sam admonished as Frodo sat down and poured himself a glass of ginger ale.

       "I won't, Sam dear. But I am enjoying myself so much!"

       "I'm glad to hear it. That's the best birthday present I could have."

                                                                          ************

       Finally dinner was announced and the children, fresh from a nap, led the way to the tables. The feast was truly memorable - mushrooms with garlic and herbs, leek and potato soup, roast beef and goose, roast and boiled potatoes, stuffing, chestnuts, carrots, cauliflower, batter puddings, followed by trifles, fruit cobbler and sticky toffee pudding. The Men admitted themselves defeated long before the hobbits declared all corners to be full.

       "I'm leaving some space for the birthday cake," said Tarondor, patting his stomach and leaning back.

       "We also have things to do," Aragorn reminded him, and one by one the Men slipped away.

       Radagast and Frodo sat together, talking of the Ring, Gandalf, Aragorn and Frodo's recovery.

       "I have no doubt that Gandalf helped you. He loved you more than any other being in Middle-earth, and he must rejoice to know you are healed and happy in the Shire."

       "I know it was no dream. I felt Gandalf's presence, as surely as I feel you here now."

       "As Olorin the Maia he is able to move in all planes of existence to some extent, and was able to project himself to the wilderness in which you were trapped." The old wizard stroked Rufus, who sat beside him on the bench, and the cat arched his neck and purred, his eyes mere slits through which he observed his surroundings.

       The children sat around drowsily, too full of food to play for a while. Dusk descended slowly and the lanterns in the Party Tree were lit. Sam poured a libation of ale around the roots of the mallorn with an Elven blessing.

       Suddenly there was a strange noise, a crackling followed by a loud bang. Children jumped and lasses squealed. Myriad coloured stars sparkled in the sky, lighting the land below in vivid silver and gold.

       "Fireworks! Stars and glory! I wanted the children to know what Mister Gandalf's fireworks were like and my wish has been granted," Sam cried. He gathered his family about him and they followed the path of the bright stars.

       "Happy birthday, my dear Sam!" Aragorn called. "They may not be as good as the ones Gandalf brought for you but I hope you enjoy them."

       Brilliant reds, blues and purples exploded around and above them. The hobbits soon recovered from the initial surprise and were soon cheering and applauding for all they were worth. Pip and little Lily watched intently, smiling and cooing, and the others clapped each one. There were dazzling fountains of colour, huge eruptions and showers of brilliance, accompanied by pops, whistles and loud claps which sounded like thunder.

       When the display ended Aragorn returned to his seat, where Sam embraced him. "Thank you so much, dearest Strider. The little ones have always wanted to see fireworks."

       "My pleasure, Sam. Did you like them, Mistress Elanor?"

       "Oh yes, they were lovely! Thank you for bringing them, Uncle Estel."

       There was a sudden hush and many of the lanterns were extinguished. An excited buzz ran round the Party Field and the cake was carried in by the Twins, with Merry and Pip leading the way. The cake looked magnificent, covered in white and yellow sugar icing and decorated with fifty candles, all blazing away.

       "Come on, Sam, take a deep breath!" Pip shouted.

       Sam did as he was told and blew the candles out in one go, to exuberant cheers. Then he took a large knife and cut the cake, which was then whisked off by the cooks, to be sliced and served to the eager guests.

       "Mmm!" said Aragorn. "Rose, this is your best yet! And you iced it, Mistress May? It really is superb."

       Tarondor agreed. He and his brother were most impressed by their first sample of Rose's famous fruit cake. All the guests munched happily and toasted the Mayor's health, as well as that of the two blushing cooks.

       Frodo banged on the table with the gavel. "My friends, honoured guests........we have all gathered here to celebrate Sam Gamgee's birthday. He must realise by now that he is dearly loved by everyone. He is a loving husband, a doting father, a caring and conscientious Mayor, the finest gardener in Middle-earth and the bravest and most loyal friend in Arda. Sam, my dear, dear friend and brother, I hope this has been a special birthday. You are the most special person and you deserve only the very best. Happy birthday, dearest. We love you."

       "Happy birthday!" called the assembled company.

       Thain Paladin rose. "Friends, fellow hobbbits and honoured guests, I should like to say a few words. I first met young Samwise Gamgee when he was a lad, helping his father in the gardens at Bag End. He was quiet and a little shy but he certainly knew his onions - and his taters! Bilbo Baggins assured me that not only was Sam a fine gardener but Frodo's most loyal friend. Bilbo spoke truly, for Sam braved the fires and horror of Mordor to protect and care for his master. Since their return he has married and is now the father of five, and he has nurtured and cared for them and for Frodo, as well as caring for everyone in the Shire in his role as Mayor. He has more native common sense than anyone else I know, and we are lucky to have him. Happy birthday, Mayor Samwise!"

       Sam blushed a little but he rose, bowed and thanked everyone very simply. "This has been the best birthday I've ever had - surrounded by my family, my dearest friends, and with Mister Frodo well and healed. Thank you all."

       Paladin glanced at Aragorn, who nodded almost imperceptibly. "I do have one announcement to make, my friends. We have been delighted to welcome our guests and to share food and ale and pipeweed with them. I am reliably informed that they have enjoyed themselves - indeed anyone who was in the Green Dragon two nights ago can testify to that! However, two members of the party have been here under assumed identities - not, I hasten to add, for any sinister purpose but because they wished to see us as we are, behaving naturally. Had you known their true identities you would have all been on your best behaviour, and that would never do!" He waited for the laughter to die down. "The Man you know as the Lord Cirion is actually Prince Faramir, Steward of Gondor......."

       Gasps ran round the Party Field at this revelation. Several hobbits bowed to a smiling Faramir.

       Paladin continued. "The Lord Thorongil is also known by other names. The children have called him Uncle Estel, and indeed this is one of his many names. Estel he was named by the Elves. Thorongil he was in Rohan and Gondor long ago, and our Travellers were introduced to him as Strider, but at birth he was named Aragorn and he is now our Lord King Elessar. Greetings, Your Majesty, and welcome to the Shire."

       The stupefied hobbits all fell to their knees but Aragorn waved them back into their seats.

       "My dear friends, we have eaten and drunk together, played kickball, and sung outrageous songs. We are tied by the bonds of friendship and love, and as I once said to our beloved travellers, you bow to no-one."

       Persimmon tugged at his boot. "Are you weally the King? Where's your cwown?"

       "The crown of Gondor is very large and heavy, and much too big to carry with us. In Arnor there is no crown, just a single jewel on a circlet............"

       "Which I took the liberty of bringing with us," said Faramir. He handed the Elendilmir to Tarondor, who placed it on the King's head. "There! Now you see your King."

       Jolly Cotton gazed at the Man, so full of kingly dignity, and glared at his brother-in-law and his unrepentant sister. "You knew he was the King! And you let me steal the ball away from him yesterday! How could you, Sam?"

       Sam allowed his mirth to spill over. "You should see your face! You're not going to be flung into the Lockholes you know. Strider don't mind - he praised you for it, didn't he?"

       "I'd never have done that if I'd known," said Jolly.

       "Exactly!" said Aragorn, who had overheard the conversation and was very amused. "Which is why I wnated to meet you all simply as Thorongil. The children don't mind, do you?" he enquired as the little ones crowded round.

       They smilingly shook their heads. "Can we have another story, Uncle King Estel?" they chorused.

       "You see? Gandalf was right - everyone should spend some time with hobbits." Everyone laughed to see their King sitting on the grass beneath the mallorn, covered in little hobbitlings, singing, playing counting games and telling tales.

       Gasps caused everyone to look up: the western sky was lit up by showers of shooting stars, gold, silver and bronze.

       "I think my good friend Olorin has decided to send a birthday gift of his own, Master Samwise," murmured Radagast.

       "Gandalf!" whispered Pippin, smiling tearily as he watched the flares of light, which seemed to take on familiar forms - golden trees, dragons, horses, elven boats, and one enormous burst which looked exactly like a mushroom. The hobbits cheered themselves hoarse.

       The display lasted almost half an hour and left everyone thrilled and delighted. It had been the perfect end to a perfect day, they agreed as they finally drifted away, many shyly embracing the King and his fellow guests.

       "No wonder you laughed so hard at what I said about kingship, my lord," said Tully as they stood together, smoking and sipping ale.

       "You were very wise and perceptive, Master Noakes. Kingship is a lot like that, and sometime people do need a prod or two before they can be persuaded to co-operate."

       "I hope you've enjoyed your birthday, Sam?" said Legolas.

       Sam's smile stretched from ear to ear. "I have that," he said softly.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List