Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

It was decided among the residents of Bag End that a picnic in the Party Field was just the thing. Rose managed to supply huge amounts of veal and ham pie, cold ham and chicken, boiled eggs, salad, crusty bread, butter, milk, lemonade, fruit pie, jam, cake and any number of other items. The children fetched and carried and ran about willingly, packing baskets and keeping the tiny ones out of the kitchen.

       While these preparations were taking place, Frodo, Sam, Legolas, Aragorn and his cousins went to the stables, to muck out and groom the ponies and horses and turn them loose in the paddock. Gil-galad, Aragorn's great black horse, was enjoying his holiday. He gambolled and kicked up his heels and raced round with the hobbit ponies.

       "Silly beast," said Aragorn with deep affection in his voice.

       Limlight nudged Frodo and huffed in his ear, Bill shoved his tongue into Sam's pocket, and Molly upset the water pail.

       "I have had one bath today, my little lady," said Legolas with a soft laugh, mopping water off his boots. "You are a very naughty girl."

       "She certainly is," Sam agreed. "You have to watch her, 'cos she'll creep up on you and bite you in the backside!" Molly managed to look completely innocent, despite this slur upon her character. Her tail swished lightly as she munched some sweet grass and pretended that Sam was talking about another animal altogether.

       Tarondor patted Frodo's pony. "He is a magnificent animal. I saw Shadowfax once, when Mithrandir visited Eriador. This one has a look of Shadowfax - the arch of his neck and the way he carries himself."

       Borin, Gimli's stout little bay, bounced up and butted Aragorn, who laughed and patted him gently. Legolas smiled as Arod cantered over and groomed his small friend. Strider was busy rolling around in a patch of clover-rich grass.

       When all was done, they returned to Bag End to find the picnic ready and a group of over-excited little hobbits bouncing on the steps. Shouldering baskets and bags, everyone made their way down the Hill and into the Party Field. Rose spread cloths under the Party Tree and they began to lay out plates and cutlery.

       "Here come Uncle Merry and Uncle Pip!" Frodo-lad raced over, followed by his siblings, and the two tall hobbits were dragged towards the picnic site.

       Merry dropped neatly on to the rug. "I see you've all been dosed to the eyebrows! Your cure, Aragorn, or the Gaffer's?"

       "The Gaffer's. And most effective it was too."

       Pippin swung Rosie-lass up on to his shoulders. "That stuff gives you a smack round the head though."

       "I admit I was unprepared for the heat. I thought my head was about to explode."

       "I used somewhat intemperate language - and in front of a lady too!" said Faramir, still flushing with embarrassment at the memory.

       Rose shrugged. "Shouldn't worry about it. I'm a farmer's daughter with four brothers. I've heard worse. You should have heard what Jolly said when a cow stood on his foot once!"

       Everyone exploded into sudden laughter. "Rose, your candour is delightfully refreshing. I confess that most people try to protect my sensibilities these days. Why they assume I have never heard a profanity, I shall never know." Aragorn turned a giggling Merry-lad upside down. "And if I visit somewhere special they primp and fuss - everywhere is painted and whitewashed, the privy has red velvet all over it, and people spend far too much time bowing and scraping."

       Pippin grinned. "You mean Fro didn't decorate the privy with crimson velvet? How very remiss of him!" He clicked his tongue.

       "Firstly, we didn't know the King would be visiting, and secondly I can't imagine anything sillier!" Frodo laughed.

       "I try to tell people that I was a Ranger and have stayed in all sorts of places, from palaces to hovels and slept in ditches as well as canopied beds, but no-one seems to listen."

       "You're the High King - you could probably feel a pea through twenty mattresses or something," said Pip.

       "Now we all know I can sleep anywhere - on a clothesline, I believe Sam says. I would neither know nor care if there was a pea under one mattress, let alone twenty! And a privy is a privy, however you disguise it."

       As they sat talking and laying out the picnic, other hobbits began creeping into the Party Field to join them. Little groups began setting out their own blankets and unpacking bags. Sam's sister May arrived with her five children, and she had persuaded Ivy Sandyman to accompany her. Violet edged closer to Ellie and was soon sitting next to Gimli and gawping up at Legolas. Tully Noakes greeted everyone cheerfully, having left his dogs to watch over his flock. He brought his family to be introduced and to chuckle about the previous evening's entertainment. His daughter and daughter- in-law rolled their eyes. Prudence's daughter, little Columbine, was brought forward. She was a pretty child with light brown curls and a ready smile. One arm was withered but she did not try to hide it.

       "So you are Columbine? I heard that you were very pretty." Aragorn examined the limb casually.

       "And I also hear that you want to be a shepherd, like your grand-da." He squatted on his haunches to be nearer the ground and less intimidating.

       "Yes, sir. I like looking after the sheep. Grand-da says I'm a.........natural." She glanced at her grandfather, who laughed and patted her.

       "I'm sure you are. I hear that Doctor Porto has given you some exercises, to help your arm?"

       "Oh yes, and I can move it now - a bit." She lifted her arm and moved the hand slowly out to the side and back again."

       "She's very good about doing them too, my lord," Prudence assured the tall Man who was taking such an interest in her daughter. "Doctor Porto said the King himself devised them."

       "That is true, for he is a healer and works often in the Houses of Healing in Minas Anor. He learned how to heal from our father, Lord Elrond of Rivendell," said Elladan.

       "And the hands of the King have the power to heal also," added Elrohir. "I remember a similar case in the North, years ago, when our father helped a young man. He was able to use the arm quite well in time, and he was older than your daughter."

       Prudence and Cotman smiled in relief at this news. They could feel hopeful about their daughter's future.

       "Fancy the King doing such things! The kings in storybooks just seem to sit about on a throne all day," added Dulcie.

       Aragorn threw back his head and laughed very heartily. "That would bore this King to tears! He enjoys healing, and gardening - and cooking too, when he has the time. Meeting officials and ambassadors and reviewing laws and hearing criminal cases and going to war take up much of his time."

       "I reckon being a king is a bit like being a shepherd," Tully observed. "He has to look after his people the way I look after my flock. They all need looking after but some are sweet and obedient and do as they're told and some are stubborn old besoms who need a poke with a stick afore they'll do anything!"

       Aragorn almost lost his balance he was laughing so hard. "Now that is probably the best and most down-to-earth description of kingship I have ever heard!"

       Frodo was giggling helplessly. "Perhaps we should alert the King to this?" he managed.

       "Definitely," Gimli grunted. "If he hasn't already found out. And some of his most stubborn subjects are certain hobbits not five miles away!"

       "Not to mention Dwarves who never do as they're told," murmured Legolas, ignoring the smirks from the hobbits and the Rivendell twins.

       More greetings signalled the arrival of Sam's brothers and their families and Rose's brothers. The Party Field was filling up as energetic and hungry little hobbitlings began to play together while they waited for the food to appear. The mallorn approved of this because her swollen buds rustled and the silver branches swayed. Legolas rested his hand on the trunk, feeling the life force which connected all living things. No wonder this tree was so happy, surrounded by love and laughter and happy hobbits.

                                                                          ************

       Lazing around, full of food and comfortable, the visitors watched the younglings play. Someone brought a ball and a game of kick-ball began. Aragorn watched nostalgically.

       "Kick-ball! I haven't played that for over eighty five years!"

       "Often whole villages play each other - it can get quite rowdy sometimes," said Merry.

       "A hundred or so hobbits trying to knock each other senseless while chasing a ball round the market square! The worst is Rushock playing Nobottle, because they hate each other! And if a team from the Southfarthing comes up here there's always fisticuffs." Pip nibbled a piece of cheese.

       "I'm afraid my father banned it in Gondor, because it interfered with sword and archery practice," said Faramir thoughtfully. "Thankfully the King rescinded this and any small court or open area is often used by a group of lads with a ball and time to spare."

       "Lalia hated the game," said Frodo. "She was always trying to presuade Ferumbras to forbid the Shire-folk to play it but he knew better than that. Besides, he enjoyed watching - and was known to have a wager on the result sometimes!"

       Pippin nodded. "Didn't Lalia declare it to be.............," he adopted a falsetto voice, "............'a game of beastly fury and extreme violence!' Silly old bat!"

       Tarondor and Faramir were looking at each other. "What about a game? Two teams of mixed Men and hobbits - and Elves if they wish to join us."

       "An excellent suggestion, cousin!" Aragorn was on his feet. "Faramir shall captain one team and I shall take the other if I may. We shall pick teams."

       Aragorn and his cousins formed the heart of one team, with Faramir, Beregond and Bergil on the other. To everyone's astonishment, Frodo bounced up, removed his jacket and announced that he would take part. After a few moment's dumbfounded silence Aragorn claimed him for his team.

       "In that case you'll have to have Sam as well, because he won't take on Frodo or dispossess him of the ball," Merry pointed out.

       The Elves smiled indulgently and sat on the sidelines while Gimli volunteered to oversee the game. "Of course we Dwarves play kick-ball, laddie," he told a surprised Legolas. "Using an Orc head if we can get one! Young Dwarves need to let off steam, just like young hobbits."

       Merry and Pip joined Faramir. Ham and Hal Gamgee stepped up with their brother and Tom Cotton, while the other Cotton lads stood beside Faramir. Cotman Carter went with them and Totty Noakes volunteered for the Lord Thorongil's team. Wives and children moved around to allow them plenty of room and Jeb Sandyman strolled across from the Mill with his family and young Teddy. Within minutes both had joined in, goals were marked out and the game began.

       The Men were careful, making allowances for the smaller size of the hobbits. This proved a grave misjudgement, since the hobbits opted for low cunning and dirty tricks, and astonished their larger opponents with their speed and skill. Halfred Gamgee was a broad and bulky hobbit but he could twist and turn like an eel. He darted past Faramir and Beregond and kicked the ball past Bergil for a goal.

       "Come on, Uncle Estel!" Frodo-lad yelled, as the dark-haired Man ran the length of the field, dodging some determined tackling along the way. Then Jolly Cotton darted in and took the ball off Aragorn's toe without breaking his stride. Rose sniggered to herself - she would love to see her brother's face when he learned just who he had robbed of the ball!

       Nibs Cotton passed the ball to Jeb Sandyman and he managed to avoid Teddy's lunge before passing the ball back to Nibs, who kicked the ball as hard as he could. Halboron leapt for it but it was travelling too fast. Honours were now even.

       The children provided noisy vocal support, shouting for 'their' team. Even the lasses were screaming and waving, the excitement proving infectious. Frodo managed to whisk the ball away from Faramir and began to run, glancing up to see where his team-mates were. Spotting Sam, he lofted the ball up and over. Sam jumped and headed it neatly past Bergil, to the delirious admiration of the little Gamgees.

       "Sam-dad! Sam-dad's the best!"

       The battle commenced once more and surged to and fro. Everyone threw themselves into it with even greater enthusiasm. Merry finally managed to squeeze through the defenses, Pip tracking him and calling for the ball. Merry calculated his chances and pushed it quickly towards his cousin. Pippin flew past Tarondor and hoofed it into the goal.

       The match was declared an honourable draw and everyone flopped down for a rest and a drink. Frodo was grinning and everyone looked thrilled to see him.

       "Well, tall brother, how did you enjoy that?" Frodo stretched out on the blanket, hands clasped behind his head.

       "It was great fun - though I must say I am shocked to find that hobbits are willing to trip their opponents! And that was a very smart move of yours, Master Jolly. You were much too fast for me." He filled a mug with ale and passed it to the blushing hobbit.

       Rose leaned in to Sam. "I wonder if there's a punishment for taking the ball off the High King?"

       "Wonder what Jolly will say when the Thain reveals Lord Thorongil's real identity?"

       "He'll have visions of being taken back to Gondor in chains!" Rose giggled.

       "I suppose some of the tyrants in the past might have done that, but I can't see Strider going into a rage because he was beaten fair and square. He seems to find it amusing."

       May's children - Sam, Tilbert, Salvia, Hobson and Teasel - and Marigold's three - Tomson, Wilcome and tiny Lily - joined their Gamgee cousins around the guests. Lily, eighteen months old, greeted baby Pip with a sticky hug and then advanced on Aragorn.

       "Hug?" she said, holding out her arms.

        "Of course, my sweetling." The Man lifted her into his lap and cuddled the affectionate infant, unconcerned about the jam-covered fingers and face.

       "'m Lily!" she announced, tilting her face up to look into the kind grey eyes, her small brows lifting in query.

       "I'm your Uncle Estel." He smiled down at her as she yawned. "That's right, my little one. Close your eyes and dream awhile."

       Marigold looked worried. "I hope she's not being a nuisance, my lord."

       "Not in the least. A lap full of sleepy little hobbit is the most delightful thing. She's a lovely little lass, Mistress Marigold."

       Faramir turned to Sam. "So what is planned for your birthday tomorrow?"

       "Lots of surprises, so I'm told. I think Merry said something about an archery demonstration - you've never seen hobbit archers in action, have you?"

       "No, and I'm really looking forward to it. We know that hobbits are skilled with the bow and it will be interesting to see the contrasting styles of Men, Elves and hobbits."

       Merry joined them, munching a slice of pie. "Shire history says that we sent a band of archers to the aid of the last King of Arnor - King Arvedui - but it is said that none returned. We shall of course be willing to send aid our King Elessar should he require it."

       Aragorn smiled. "I'm sure the King hopes he will never need to ask. The peace in the North is a great joy to him."

       "Even Angmar has been quiet. They largely destroyed themselves in civil strife, and the remainder are too impressed by the help they received from the Shire to wage war." Tarondor lit his pipe.

       Five years previously there had been famine in Angmar, due to poor leadership and fighting between the leading factions. Aragorn had received troubling reports and had written to the Shire for their advice. Paladin, Saradoc and Will Whitfoot met with other Shire worthies, heads of families and the chief farmers and it was agreed to send grain to the starving. The ordinary folk in Angmar were humbled by this gesture and overthrew their warring leaders, and peace had finally settled on that troubled land. The new leaders asked that their country be taken under the protection of the Reunited Kingdom and the Steward of Arnor, together with a couple of Pippin's adventurous Took cousins, travelled there to advise on farming. Most people had forgotten the old skills, being forced to move about in order to scratch a living and avoid the continuous conflicts.

       "Have you been there lately?" Sam asked the Steward.

       "I have, and it is heartening to see the land coming back to life. The harvest last year was a good one and they were able to manage without outside aid. Settled areas and proper crops mean stability and barns for the grain. And now that cats are not shunned as harbingers of evil, the rodents are no longer taking the grain."

       Pip laughed. "Cousin Isumbrand really lost his temper when he saw how badly animals were treated. He gave them all a real dressing-down and told them the best thing everyone could do was take in a cat. No wonder their grain supplies were ravaged."

       Tarondor grinned at the memory of the scornful hobbit snarling angrily at the people of Angmar. "Attitudes are changing. The rat corpses and the undamaged grain seem to have convinced the people that cats are to be encouraged. Many of the strays have homes, every farmstead and settlement has two or three and even the wild cats find a bowl of milk left out for them."

       "I should think so!" said Frodo. He pointed to the edge of the Party Field, where Rufus and his mother were sitting together.

       Baby Lily slumbered in the arms of Lord Estel, her dark gold curls spread over his arm. Pip lay in his basket watching the clouds, Merry-lad claimed Bergil as a pillow and the other childen were racing round the mallorn. The afternoon slipped by and May's husband arrived, followed by Mr and Mrs Cotton and their daughters-in-law with a wagon full of food.

       "I thought you might like a break from cooking, Rosie love. If you gentlemen don't mind us butting in?"

       "Not at all, dear lady. Mistress Rose has told us that her culinary skills were learned from you, and this is a wonderful treat for all of us. I hope we have not inconvenienced you?" Tarondor kissed Mrs Cotton's hand and bowed.

       The tables intended for the party were set up and the food set out. The Men and Elves helped, to the astonishment of many hobbits. Rose's sisters-in-law gawped as the Steward of Arnor, his brother, his cousin and three Men of Gondor arranged tables and unloaded the cart. Blossom, Nibs Cotton's young and timid wife, had begun by staring at the Men in terror, but this was gradually replaced by a look of besotted admiration. She watched the Lord Thorongil as he shepherded the children to sit down and saw to it that the little ones were supplied.

       "Is that King of yours anything like his cousins, Rose?" she whispered.

       "Very like. Those Northern Men are a handsome bunch I must say."

       "I don't suppose they do the washing-up though," said Nibs confidently.

       "That's just where you're wrong, baby brother! The King himself does washing-up, and if it's good enough for the Heir of Elendil it's good enough for you, my lad!" She giggled at the almost comic dismay settling on Nibs' honest features.

       Mrs Cotton was standing by the wagon, laughing with the Captains. Merry and Pip were involved in one of their silly conversations and Lily Cotton was treating them like a couple of daft lads.

       "Get along you impudent pair! Mister Meriadoc, you're distracting me so that Mister Peregrin can sneak round and grab one of those pasties! Don't think I don't know what you're up to!" She shooed the grinning twosome back to the Party Field.

       "You have met your match in the women of the Cotton family," Frodo said. He and Halboron had been back to Bag End to fetch a keg of ale and some wine.

       The entire group settled down to eat. Frodo smiled to see the flowing conversations, even between Blossom and Aragorn. She had once said she would be too terrified to speak to the King yet there she was, chatting away as though she had known him for years. Violet Sandyman was sitting next to Legolas and seemed to be recovering from her initial shyness. Her mother was listening to Bergil's tales of life as a guard of the Citadel, young Lily and her brothers were seated near the Twins, and Mr Cotton was discussing farming with Faramir. Gimli and Beregond had commandeered the ale keg and were sharing with Hal and Ham Gamgee and the Cotton menfolk. All the Free peoples united in friendship. Sauron would be appalled to see such harmony and to learn that all his schemes had come to naught.

 

I've been rather naughty here and taken some liberties wih famous people from English history. King Edward II banned football because it interfered with archery practice, but this must have lapsed because Henry VIII did much the same. One of Henry's contemporaries, Sir Thomas Elyot, declared it to be ".........full of beastlye furye and extreme violence!" Nothing much has changed!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List