Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

Aragorn woke refreshed and eager to explore. A light tap on his door as he was musing, and Frodo entered, carrying a tea tray.

       "Did you sleep well, my dear friend?"

       "Better than ever. Must be something in the air here in the Shire - and all the food too. Arwen will see there is much more of her husband when he returns, I fear."

       "Nonsense! You'll wear it all off, just like Pip." Frodo set the tray on the bedside chest.

       "So Gandalf slept in here? Must have been the only time he had an undisturbed night's sleep - he spent so much time travelling, riding, sleeping under hedges or in his cart. He must have been supremely grateful for those times in the Shire, enjoying the peace, not having any more demands on his time than meals and a stroll into the village."

       "You sound rather wistful, my dear Strider. Is kingship as onerous as I fear?"

       "Not onerous exactly, but now I am a king I am not allowed to forget the fact very often. This trip is proving benficial - it reminds me of my life as a Ranger - and I hope I shall be allowed to get my hands dirty and help Sam in the garden, and play with the children, and be disgracefully drunk and kick up my heels, like the horses last night."

       "I think we'll allow you to do all that. It will do you good to behave like a hobbit. You're an honorary hobbit anyway, you know that?"

       "I am extremely flattered, my friend." Aragorn finished his tea. "I do not want to spend too much time idling, pleasant though it is. A bath, if I may, and breakfast, and time with you and the children."

       "We have two bathrooms now, and Gimli's friends came and saw to all the plumbing, so we have hot water from the water tank behind the stove. Come with me and I'll show you. The bath is a good size so you shouldn't feel too cramped."

                                                                            ************

       The kitchen appeared to be the hub of activity in Bag End. Beregond was feeding little Pip, Bergil was helping to cut Merry-lad's bread and butter and little Rosie was sitting on Rufus' cushion with the cat in her lap, holding his dish while he licked up creamy porridge.

       "Hello, my little maid. You must be Rosie-lass?" Aragorn crouched to look under the table, anxious not to frighten the child. He need not have worried. She smiled, gently eased Rufus off her lap and crawled out.

       "Uncle Estel? Ellie said you were here. Are you hungwy?" She held out her arms and happily allowed him to lift her, showing no alarm at finding herself more than six feet off the ground.

       "Yes, I rather think I am. Have you met your other uncles yet?" he asked, sitting down with the tiny hobbit lass in his lap.

       She nodded vigorously. "Leg'las 'n' Gimli 'n' Bewegond 'n' Bergil......," she popped her finger into her mouth and thought hard,. "................ummmm..........."

       "I do not think you have met me yet," murmured Faramir, sitting beside Aragorn. "I am your Uncle Cirion, and there's Tarondor and Halboron, and the Twins - Elladan and........?"

       "Elwohir?" Rosie ventured, leaning over to hug another new-found uncle. "Are you here for Sam-dad's birfday?"

       "We are indeed. We would not miss such a special occasion, and we have travelled a long way." He stroked the cat, who had hopped on to the bench beside him and was gazing up with a particularly searching look.

      Rose was performing miracles at the stove, producing platefuls of perfectly cooked bacon, eggs, sausages and mushrooms with her usual calm. Aragorn realised that she was the still point around which everything and everyone revolved. She had as much power in her own realm as Galadriel had held over Lothlorien.

       "Pip, my little lad, you have grown since we saw you last." Aragorn held out a hand to the baby, who crowed with delight and grabbed his fingers.

       "He still has a fine appetite," Beregond observed. "I don't remember Bergil clearing his dish like that when he was that age. Pip never spat anything at me once!"

       Rose chuckled. "Most of us know better than to waste good food, even at that age. Mind you, Ellie used to spit cabbage at me, I must admit. I think that's because small children find cabbage and the like rather bitter. She wouldn't eat sprouts either but now she likes them."

       "Spwouts? Pfffft!" muttered Rosie-lass, much to everyone's amusement.

       "No I never liked them as a child either. They tasted terrible and my mother used to get cross but Adar just said it was natural for children to dislike them and that I would grow to like such things."

       When everyone had a full plate, Rose lifted Merry-lad from his high chair and allowed him to greet the visitors properly. He toddled round to meet everyone and then ambled back to Bergil and climbed on his lap.

       "He's taken a shine to you. Just be prepared that he might wander off and come back minus his clothes at some point." Rose smiled. "My twin brother, Jolly, did that too."

       "Is that his real name or just his disposition?"

       "His given name is Wilcome after Da's brother, my uncle Will, but he's always been called Jolly. He was a very happy baby and I was a grump."

       "I find that very difficult to believe, dear Rose." Aragorn smiled down at little Rosie, who had settled beside him and was devouring her own breakfast at quite a rate.

       "Slow down, miss, or you'll have a tummy-ache," said her mother, filling a third teapot with hot water. "Now, I'm taking requests for tonight's dinner, so if you can think of anything you'd like to try, tell me."

       Bergil looked eager to speak, but politely deferred to his King and Steward. Rose thought he looked like Pip when he was bursting to say something, leaning forward in his seat, fidgeting.

       Aragorn smiled. "Whatever you cook will be superb, but I think young Bergil has a request and I'm sure it is one we agree on."

       "Beef and kidney pudding?" the young man said hopefully.

       "Ah! I thought you might want that, as Sam mentioned it in Gondor. Right - beef and kidney pudding it is. You can help me if you like - we'll start directly after lunch."

       "Where is Sam? And Legolas and Frodo?"

       "Up at the stables, seeing to the horses. Have you met Frodo's new pony? King Eomer sent him as a Yule gift. He's a bit high-spirited but adores Frodo and is very good with the children."

       "Yes, he's magnificent. How wonderful that Frodo is strong enough to ride him. He could never have done so at one time."

       The door opened, and voices sounded in the passage as the others trooped in. Frodo and Sam washed their feet in the garden room before entering the kitchen, and Rose grinned.

       "As you can see, they're well-trained," she giggled, dishing out breakfast for the new arrivals.

       Frodo's hair was sticking up in odd ways and Sam hastened to explain.

       "Limlight decided Frodo hadn't had a good enough wash this morning and decided to give him another! Groomed him very carefully, he did."

       Legolas gave a light-hearted laugh. "Yes, and then Arod joined in! You should have seen them carefully washing Frodo's face and hair."

       "They seem to have done a very..........er..........thorough job," murmured Aragorn, and no one laughed harder than Frodo.

                                                                          ************

       "Now Sam, we have a gift for you. We know that Frodo received gifts on his actual birthday last year, but that was in Gondor. We understand that, in the Shire, it is not considered polite to give gifts on the day but they can be given before. Is that correct?" Elrohir asked.

       "That's right. Hobbits consider that only close kin usually give gifts and they're given before the day - or at least before the party. Otherwise it looks as though they're paying for the party and that is just not done."

       Elladan and his brother beckoned him outside, and everyone followed, curious to know what the gift could be. In the garden was a long box, which Sam had noticed the Twins carrying slung between their horses on the ride from Bree. There was a large blue ribbon round it now.

       "We have looked after these as tenderly as we could, opening the box to give them air in the evenings. Half the gift is from us and half from our Daeradar."

       "Lord Celeborn? Well that's very kind of him, I'm sure. I would hardly expect a great Elven lord to know it was Sam Gamgee's birthday, much less send a gift."

       "Stop selling yourself short, Sam," said Aragorn with a smile. "The birthday of one of the Ring-bearers, a pre-eminent citizen of Middle-earth, is no small matter."

       Sam opened the box, handing the ribbon to Ellie, who stood beside him. When he lifted the lid he saw that there was a lot of packing.

       "Open that end first," said Elladan, who seemed quite excited for an Elf. "Those are from us."

       Sam pulled the straw away from one end, and gasped in surprise. "Elven lilies! Look Frodo! Elven lilies from Rivendell - your favourites! Oh they're beautiful. They have to go under Frodo's window."

       Young Fro leaned forward to have a closer look, bewitched by the sight of Elven lilies. He had heard his father talk about them, their bright colours and intoxicating perfume.

       "Thank you both. I never dreamed I'd be growing lilies from Rivendell in these gardens."

       "There are fifty plants, five of each colour. They should grow well in a sheltered area."

       "The plants at the other end of the box are from Daeradar."

       The removal of all the straw revealed fifty more small pots, each with a tiny plant in. Sam peered at them; he had seen then before but for a moment he could not identify where. Then he cried out in surprise and pleasure.

       "Elanor! It's the sun-star of Lorien! Ellie, it's your name flower, my lass. But these have never been seen outside Lothlorien. They only grow there and in the Blessed West."

       Ellie squealed and ran to look. There were no flowers but there was something dainty and other-worldly about the little plants which made up for the lack of golden flowers.

       "The same could be said of the mallorn, but the Lady gave one to the Shire," Aragorn reminded Sam.

       "They flower in Winter in Lorien, but Daeradar says they might do something different here, as the winters are colder. Perhaps late Summer and Autumn?" Elrohir smiled at the children. "I see young Master Gamgee is already a gardener of note."

       "Daeradar sent a letter, explaining why he has sent these. Here we are." Elladan produced a letter from the pocket of his tunic and handed it to Sam, who looked quite overwhelmed. He opened the fine silk envelope and began to read but was too moved by the content to continue. He handed the letter to Aragorn and wiped his eyes. The King took the sheet of paper and read aloud:

       My dear Master Samwise,

        I hope that the occasion of your birthday will be a very happy and joyous one, and I am sorry that I cannot be there to see it. I thought long and hard about what I could send to you, for you are a rare and special individual. There is nothing you crave, for you have all that is important to you - a loving wife, beautiful, healthy children and the brother of your heart healed and happy - all your treasures, and a garden to tend. You have never desired more than this, and no-one is more deserving of all that he has.

       The only fitting gift for a gardener is more plants, and the sun-star should be seen by those who appreciate beauty. The time of the Elves is over, but a mallorn is now blooming in the outer world, and I felt that the elanor should also be seen by many. There is no better land than the Shire, for hobbits are the future guardians of all that is green and good in the world, and there is no finer guardian among hobbits than yourself.

       I do have another reason for gifting these to you. In your land, when a young girl weds, it is traditional to wear a garland and carry a posy of flowers, and if, as so often happens, the lass has a flower name, then those garlands and posies would include her name-flower. Your daughterElanor is young yet, and will not wed for many years, yet she will be called 'the Fair' because of her beauty, and when she weds it is only right that she should wear and carry the flower whose name she bears. If these are planted now, there should be plenty to adorn her on her wedding-day, and I hope I may be there to see them.

       Have a very happy birthday, keep your treasures close to you and know that you will always have the admiration and respect of

       Celeborn.

       "Oh my!" Rose wiped her eyes. "Bless the dear soul!"

       "How kind and thoughtful - we must all thank him," Frodo murmured, blinking back the tears.

       "Aye. I must write to him - you two are going back to Rivendell?" Sam asked. The Twins nodded.

       "Can I write to Lord Celeborn too?" Ellie whispered. "He sounds so very kind and I'd like to thank him."

       "I'm sure he would be honoured and delighted to receive a letter, Elanorelle," said Aragorn, holding the child close. "Just make sure you invite him to your wedding."

       "And who will the groom be, I wonder?" Frodo said, a mischievous smile on his lips. "A certain distant fifth cousin from Greenholm?"

       Ellie snorted and stuck her nose in the air, but she could not hold in her giggles or be angry with her uncle. "He might be - one day! He's not as silly as most boys, and he doesn't mind if I beat him at games."

       "What's this?" cried Legolas. "A swain already? I shall inspect this lad to see if he is good enough for my little Elanorelle."

       "His name's Fastred, and he's a very sweet lad. Dotes on Ellie, carries her things and makes daisy chains for her, even when the other lads tease him for it." Rose smiled. "He's a bit like Sam, and a bit like Frodo too - likes his books and loves walking."

       "Speaking of walking - shall we go and greet the mallorn? You wanted to see her and find out how hobbity she has become." Frodo addressed the Twins, and everyone began to make their way down to the party field. Rose went inside to see to baby Pip and Merry-lad, Fro went with the adults, and Ellie and Rosie accompanied them as far as New Row, where they were planning to call on their Aunt May and play with their cousins and Violet Sandyman. Little Violet, Cousin Teasel, Tansy Bunce and Ellie were now firm friends and Violet was less nervous than she had been on her arrival less than two months previously.

       May and Ivy Sandyman gawped at the sight of the group of Men and Elves and a Dwarf who strolled down the Hill. Ivy felt quite panicky, remembering the ruffians, but May calmed her.

       "Sam and Mister Frodo are with them and they're laughing. Prince Legolas is there too, and the Twins from Rivendell. They're the Queen's brothers, you know. I don't know who those Men are but they ain't ruffians, that's for sure."

       "Prince?!" Ivy squeaked. "That Elf is a Prince? Oh my stars!"

       "Aye. His father is none other than King Thranduil of Mirkwood - the Greenwood I should say now. You must remember him from old Mister Bilbo's stories - he locked up the Dwarves and they had to escape. One of them was Lord Gimli's father, Gloin, but Gimli seems best friends with the Elf now. They go everywhere together." She waved to her brother. "Party guests, Sam?"

       "Aye, you nosey minx! I thought Daisy was the curious one of the family. Yes, surprise guests, all arranged by Merry and Pippin. May I present the Steward of Arnor, the Lord Tarondor, and his brother, Lord Halboron. The very handsome gentleman in the dark blue is their cousin, the Lord Thorongil, and the other very handsome gentleman is the Lord Cirion, from Gondor. This scamp is Bergil, a young Captain in the City Guard of Gondor, and the older gentleman is his father, Captain Beregond of the White Company of Ithilien. You remember him - Pip killed the troll who was threatening his life, and was flattened by it. Legolas and Gimli you know, and the Twins, Lords of Rivendell. These two ladies are my sister May, and Mrs Sandyman."

       "Ladies. The pleasure is all ours," Aragorn murmured as they curtseyed to him and his cousins. "Mistress May, Sam tells me that you are the most like your mother, in looks and manner. I do wish I could have known her - she sounds a very sweet and motherly woman."

       "Yes, my lord, she was. I'm like her to look at but I don't know if I have her patience. Rose is strangely like her in that way."

       "Mrs Sandyman, I am pleased to meet you. We saw your husband briefly, while we were in Bree."

       Ivy was surprised to find herself answering firmly and without fear. "I expect he was drunk, my lord. I'm sorry to say he usually is. I hope no-one thinks too badly of me for leaving him."

       "Not at all," said Aragorn gently. "You stayed far longer than many would have done. The effects on your children were becoming detrimental, and your first duty as a mother is to them. You did the right thing, I'm sure. I hope we shall see you at the party?"

       "Yes, my lord. I wasn't sure at first, but Master Samwise insisted, and the children are eager to attend."

       "I'm sure they're looking forward to it. I know we are."

       "Indeed. I have heard much of hobbit parties and have long wished to see one for myself," said Tarondor.

       May chuckled. "I hope you don't all end up with sore heads, my lords."

                                                                          ************

       The mallorn would flower on Sam's birthday. The buds were fat and ready to open, waiting only for that special day. The bright gold of the flowers would look like flame when lit by the morning sun, almost as if the tree were on fire.

       Legolas rested his hand on the bark of the mallorn and felt the tree's presence. He smiled and bade the others to feel it, and the Twins and Aragorn touched the bark reverently.

       Aragorn had learned to feel the life force of trees while a child in Rivenedell. In Lorien the trees had a melancholy, a seeming awareness that the time of the Elves was fading. This tree retained an inherited memory of that, which lingered on the edges of knowledge, but this mallorn drew nourishment from the rich, loamy soil of the Shire. A joyous upwelling of pleasure seemed to fill the sap; this tree witnessed cheerful parties and bucolic celebrations, when the hobbits adorned her branches with ribbons, danced around her and poured cider or ale round her roots as they shared their happiness with her. Small children slept beneath her shady branches and on special occasions she was decorated with lanterns and gifts.

       "You are right, Legolas. She does have a hobbity heart." The branches rustled above him and one branch bowed so low it brushed his face, despite the fact that there was little wind.

       "She knows who you are," said Frodo softly. "Sometimes, on very hot days, the branches move to cool us without any breeze at all."

       Frodo-lad patted the tree and gave her a quick hug, which prompted much rustling of the buds.

       "Hello, my beauty," said Sam, and Aragorn felt a rush of awareness in the tree as the little gardener's voice reached her. A sound seemed to ring around the Party Field, of rushing streams and tumbling waterfalls, and he wondered if the tree was laughing in greeting to the one who planted and tended her.

       "She is happier than those in Lorien," said Elladan. "This is what they must have been like when they were first planted, in Ages long ago."

       "Also she is young, although much larger than I would have expected for one not twelve years old. There is mischief and joy there. She feels much loved by the hobbits."

       "They come from far and wide to see her. She is the wonder of the Shire." Sam sounded like a proud father. "On the day of the party we'll decorate her with lanterns and ribbons. We'll put out the tables and everyone will bring food. Frodo's organised an open air kitchen, just like Mr Bilbo had for his eleventy first, though I don't think we're having a pavillion like he had."

       "You are confident about the weather then?" said Faramir, walking round the tree and looking up.

       "Oh yes, it's always nice for Sam's birthday. It wouldn't dare be otherwise," Frodo teased.

       They wandered back to Bag End for elevenses, and this gave the visitors an opportunity to examine the place properly. The magnificent smial took up the whole of the Hill overlooking Hobbiton. The great oak tree which grew on top had survived Sharkey and his ruffians, and the gardens had been replanted. As well as flowers, there were orchards, a walled kitchen garden for vegetables and soft fruit, and behind the Hill were fields and paddocks for the horses. The garden was a riot of Spring colour and fragrance, mostly from the wallflowers, and the round green door swung wide as they approached.

                                                                          ************

       An exploration of Bag End, both inside and out, took up the time before lunch. Aragorn thought it the most perfect place he had ever seen, with a peace which rivalled the Last Homely House. They saw the orchard, and the place where Lotho's remains had been found the previous year. Young plum trees grew there now, new leaf growth appearing already.

       They visited the stables, to be greeted by the horses and ponies. Bill nudged Sam's pockets and snickered when an apple was produced. Gimli's pony was obviously very fond of the Dwarf and that affection was returned, although Gimli was always scrupulous in addressing Arod in friendly terms. The large horse and the stocky little pony spent much time together and seemed to have developed a bond as strong as that of their riders.

       Lunch was a riotous and informal affair, taken in the garden. Aragorn could not recall feeling as free since before the Quest, and he could tell that the others shared his thoughts. They ate salad and cold meat, fresh-baked bread and good local cheeses, and Rose brought out treacle tart for dessert. Tales were swapped and pipes smoked as they sat in the sunshine. Rufus trotted under the table from one to another, scrounging scraps. He was a hobbity cat and positioned himself under the table between the baby's and Merry-lad's high-chairs because that was where the most food fell.

       "Rufus, you are shameless!" Frodo laughed, chopping cold chicken for the cat. Rufus looked at him with wide-eyed innocence and pretended to wash his paw.

       "I think you'd better have my birthday gift now, Sam my lad," said Gimli, and disappeared into the smial. He was soon back, holding out a box. Sam opened it carefully and the children crowded round to see what the Dwarf had given their father. It was a set of hand tools for the garden - trowel, small fork with tines which gleamed and looked very sharp, and a pair of rose clippers with the finest edges Sam had ever seen.

       "They're superb, Gimli! Just the right size and almost made for me, as it were."

       "They were made for you, lad. Last time I was here I drew a line round one of your gardening gloves and took the paper with me. I made these in my workshop, and the grip should be perfect for you."

       "I shall treasure these all my life, Gimli. Thank you so much!"

       "They should last a lifetime. When I make something I make it to last." Gimli waited until young Fro's attention was elsewhere and handed Sam a smaller box, which contained a matching set for the child, and would be Sam's birthday gift to his son. Sam smiled his thanks and signed that he would settle up later.

       They all helped with the washing-up, which amused Rose, to see so many Men and Elves scrambling to carry plates and cups, to wash and dry and put things away in cupboards and carry sleepy little hobbits to their afternoon naps. When all was done, Sam, Aragorn and the Elves went out to place the new plants in the garden. Frodo would have gone with them but Sam told him firmly to rest awhile, and he sighed, recognizing that set of Sam's chin. He took a book and went to sit on top of the hill, in the shade of the oak tree. Gimli took Beregond and Faramir for a tour of Hobbiton and district, with Ellie and Fro in tow, and Aragorn's cousins went for a stroll to the Mill.

       Bergil rolled up his sleeves and prepared to help Rose in the kitchen. He was curious to know how she would cook the amounts needed for such a large gathering.

       "Bless you, I have plenty of large basins. Always prepared, that's Rose Gamgee!" She fetched a crock of flour from the baking pantry and suet from the ice cellar and began to chop the beef and kidney.

       "But where will you cook the puddings? Four big basins - they'll need four saucepans and if the stove is full of those, how will you cook the other vegetables, and the potatoes?" The young man was very puzzled.

       "All in good time, my young Captain. Can you wash mushrooms and chop onions?" He nodded and she directed him to find plenty. "You'll find that if you keep the top end on the onions, instead of cutting it off, that they'll be kinder to you."

       He was surprised, but had to admit that it seemed to work. He chopped them quite finely and then dealt with the mushrooms, cutting the larger ones but leaving the tiny ones whole.

       "Excellent! I can see you'll make a good cook - and a good husband some day, I don't doubt!" Rose chuckled to see him blush. "Are you courting yet? I won't tell your da." She winked conspiratorially.

       "There is a young lady I have taken a liking to - as you're already spoken for, Mistress Rose."

       "Get along with you! Pretty, is she?"

       "Very. She thinks I'm an idiot though."

       "I daresay all lasses think that about lads at one time or another." Rose buttered four enormous basins. They would have been large by the standards of Men; to a hobbit they were huge. Baby Pip could have been bathed in one.

       "How do I get her to notice me?"

       Rose paused and pondered the question. "Be fascinated by her conversation, and let her know how kind you are."

       "I wish I was as dashing as some of my friends. They have no touble finding lasses to talk to."

       "Ah, but are they the sort of lasses you would like to spend time with? I'll let you into a little secret, my lad. Most women - and I think it is probably the same for the race of Men as with us - would rather have a gentle heart than a pretty face. Not that you aren't handsome, but we tend to see beneath the surface. A kind heart and a thoughtful disposition will achieve far more than all the swagger in the world. Take her a bunch of flowers - doesn't have to be ten feet high. A simple bunch of wildflowers and a question about whatever she is interested in will go a long way. I think I fell in love with Sam when he started spoutin' poetry."

       "I'll remember that. Thank you." He watched as Rose began to chop the suet very finely. When she was satisfied she seasoned the flour and added it to the suet, then mixed it with water until it was sticking together. She turned the ball out onto a floured board and rolled it out very thinly, then lined the basins.

       "Now we add the meat, the seasoning and a pinch of herbs, and the onions and mushrooms." She piled quantities of everything into each basin and added a mix of water and a little dark ale, plus a little flour for thickening. Then she rolled out the rest of the suet pastry, less thinly this time, and made lids for each pudding.

       Bergil buttered four rounds of kitchen paper and these were placed on the top and smoothed half way down the sides before being tied with string. He placed his finger on the knots and Rose smiled at him. She took four spotlessly clean cloths and wrapped each basin, knotting these two or three times, then took Bergil by the hand and led him into the scullery/wash-house.

       "Now, this is where we cook the puddings. The fire is lit and the water in the copper is boiling. This is where I normally do the washing. See those holes either side in the brick, inside the hole, above the water? That's where this goes." She took up a long metal rod and showed his how it fitted into the holes. "We tie the puddings on the pole and then fit it in place. The puddings will be suspended above the boiling water and we put the lid on so they cook in the steam. This frees up the stove for the potatoes and veg, and leaves the oven clear for other things, such as bread, pies and cakes."

       "That is so clever! I'm sure I'd never have thought of that." Bergil carried the pole back to the kitchen and they double-knotted the cloths and threaded them onto the sturdy metal pole.

       "Sam taught me a good few knots. Most of his family are rope-makers, so he knows all about it. His uncle Andy, and his eldest brother, Ham, are both ropers in Tighfield."

       "I think Sam knows a great deal about everything. He is an excellent woodcarver and a fine cook, as well as being a gardener and a healer, particularly for livestock." Bergil carried the heavy pole, now bearing the four basins like odd fruit, into the wash house and fitted it into its slots. Rose put the lid in place and dusted her hands.

       "There! I reckon we deserve a little rest now, then I'll rope in those Elves and a lord or two to do the veg."

                                                                          ************

       Aragorn was digging in the orchard, making small holes for the elanor plants, which had been well watered and were now being gently patted in. Sam felt they would grow well in the shade of large trees and the soil in the orchard was full of leaf litter and good compost.

       The King was enjoying himself. He liked to help in the herb garden at the Citadel but to be in the gardens of Bag End, his back warmed by the sun and his nostrils full of the fragrance of early blossom, was to experience something of the life of the hobbits. He and Sam were singing the Lay of Luthien as they worked, and from the side of the smial, the three Elves joined in as they planted the lilies under Frodo's window.

       Up on the roof of Bag End, Frodo was humming with the singers. His book lay open beside him and he was tickling Rufus as the cat sprawled across his knees. As he looked down into the garden he saw Tarondor and Halboron and called to them.

       "Why don't you come and join me. I'd welcome the company and we have not had time to become acquainted." He patted the grass and they climbed up and flopped beside him.

       "So this is where you lived with your uncle - cousin, I should say?" Tarondor scratched Rufus behind the ear.

       "I came here often with my parents, and after they died I came to stay for a few weeks. When I was twenty one, he adopted me officially as his heir and brought me to live with him. I loved Esme and Sarry and I enjoyed my life at Brandy Hall, but I truly felt I belonged here. I still went to visit my other family at the Hall and Great Smials but this was my home. I wasn't expecting to inherit everything - I just loved Bilbo and wanted to spend time with him, learning from him, going hiking through the Shire and having adventures. No one was more surprised than me when he left me everything, but I was saddened that he had to leave in order for me to do so. I would have traded every penny just to have him back. The Ring took him from me too, really."

       The Men both felt compelled to place a reassuring hand on the slight hobbit's shoulders and bestow a comforting squeeze. Frodo smiled at them and cocked his head to listen to the singing.

       "But I have a large family. Sam and Rose have pulled me back from the brink many times and have surrounded me with so much love. It is almost as though they are my parents now."

       "I would think being looked after by those two remarkable hobbits must be quite an experience," Halboron murmured.

       Frodo laughed. "Oh yes. Not to mention being disciplined by a hobbitess with a tea towel and a talent for finding the most sensitive part of the ear!"

       Below, the singing had stopped. Rose's voice, firm but insistent, was heard saying, "Right. I want some volunteers to help with the vegetables. Who knows how to peel potatoes? And if you don't know after a couple of thousand years I reckon it's time you found out!"

       "This," said Tarondor in an almost imperceptible whisper, "I have to see!"

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List