Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

Following another splendid breakfast, Frodo went to his room to pack. When he returned to the gathering in the Great Hall he realised that Aragorn was missing.

       "I think he went out through the side door," said Saradoc.

       Frodo walked along the wooded path. The gate had been left open so he knew he was going in the right direction, and soon he spied the tall, dark-haired figure at his parents' grave. Not wishing to intrude, Frodo stood behind a tree, but he could not help hearing the murmured voice of the King as he talked softly to the two hobbits he had never met.

       "We shall all look after Frodo. He is as a brother to me, and shall never want for anything. If I gave him the entire Gondorian treasury it could never be enough for all he has done. I hope you are proud of him, for he is the most selfless individual I have known." He stroked the weathered wooden marker with its simple inscription. "You gave such a gift to Middle-earth. Thank you."

       As he stood, Aragorn saw Frodo and held out his arm to embrace the hobbit.  "I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to come here and think. I felt I had to thank them for the gift of their son, on behalf of all Middle-earth."

       Frodo was surprised to find himself weeping at this. There were times when he still felt guilty for not giving up the Ring voluntarily and he was often startled and embarrassed by the love and admiration others had for him. He knew that Aragorn's love for him was genuine and he was grateful, although he often felt he did not deserve such devotion from this noble Man.

       "Oh Frodo, my dear, dear friend. There is no need for you to feel guilty. Gandalf told you that no-one could have resisted it at that point. You did all you could, and everyone knows that. No-one reproaches you and you should never reproach yourself."

       "I know." Frodo wiped his eyes. "It is false pride really, as Gandalf said. After all, if the great and the good were unable to conquer it, what hope did I have? Why should I be different?"

       "Sam, Merry and Pippin did conventionally heroic things. They fought enemies they could see. You were battling something unseen but it was able to probe your mind and affect you in ways their foes did not. You held out far longer than I would have done."

       "It's just...........I don't always feel worthy of all this love. It's rather overwhelming sometimes."

       "Why don't you let me be the judge of that. I do not give my love lightly, and I say you are worthy. Your parents know that too." He crouched and enfolded the hobbit in his arms. "We all feel guilt, Frodo. I feel very guilty, and I know Gandalf and Elrond did too."

       "Why should you - or they - feel guilty? You did your duty and Gandalf was here, there and everywhere, doing what had to be done and looking after Pip, saving Faramir, confronting Sauron's forces."

       "We all regretted the fact that we could not relieve you of that burden. We all saw what it was doing to you and could do nothing about it. I felt so powerless, and I could not allow the Ring to know how I felt. Gandalf warned me that the Ring would work on me through that guilt if I showed the slightest fraction of weakness. I feared you would hate me for leaving you to cope with it. I know that Gandalf was worried you would reproach him for it when you awoke."

       "Had you taken it I would still have desired it, and hated you for taking it from me. And it would have changed and corrupted you, or Gandalf. No-one could have risked that, which is why I left the company. It worked on me by showing me how I could heal the damage to the whole of Middle-earth and even promised to restore a King in Gondor. It also tried to set me against Sam in the hope he would tire and turn back."

       Aragorn threw back his head and laughed. "It could never imagine a loyalty like Sam's! I should imagine it grew more and more exasperated at the stubborn Gamgee character!"

       Frodo chuckled too, and wiped the last of his tears. "Dear Sam says that he may be 'Half-wise' but he is not going to do the bidding of a piece of jewellery! Only Sam could say such a thing."

       "Indeed. Never deny us the chance to show you our love, my friend. I am overwhelmed that you have never uttered a word of reproach for the way we Big People handed you the task."

       Frodo looked at Aragorn, his expression a mixture of affection and wry humour. "You didn't 'hand me the task' - I volunteered for it if you remember. Remind me never to volunteer to carry something which Gandalf, assorted Elves and a future king won't touch with a ten foot pole!" He smiled. "Sorry for howling like that - being loved so unconditionally is disconcerting for me."

       "We are only following your parents. They loved you unconditionally, as parents are supposed to do, and that is how we feel. Never push away those who love you."

       "I don't these days - not really. I'm not allowed to for a start! The children won't be turned away, and Sam, Rose and the family have become equally determined." He tucked his handkerchief back into his pocket and gazed at the grave again. "Do you know, the Ring even whispered to me that it could give me back my parents. I don't know if it was lies or if Sauron knew how to...........," he shivered, "...........raise the dead, but I closed my ears to it at first. Later it became much more difficult to ignore, and I began to wonder if it was possible. Isn't that terrible?"

       "No, Frodo, merely natural in the circumstances. The Ring grew stronger the closer it came to its Master, and you were growing weaker. It would choose the most likely route to your soul that it could find and would have probed your mind to find your most vulnerable points. The loss of your parents was something it could latch on to. Did you not tell me once that it also played on your desire to keep the Shire safe, and to see Sam and your cousins home again? To Sam it gave a vision of Mordor as a garden, but he resisted out of his great love for you. It is not that Sam is stronger or better than you, but he had not been carrying it for months, listening to that insidious voice, and Sam lacks your imagination. He is an essentially practical hobbit with a large core of stern hobbit-sense inherited from his Gaffer. For the Ring it must have been like hitting a stone wall!" Aragorn chuckled, and Frodo joined in.

       "Dear Sam, he is so overwhelmingly practical. The first time he ever visited Great Smials he remarked that it must be 'bloody difficult to heat!' Tina went into giggles and Pal thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard. Ask him to plant something and there's a ten minute lecture on why it wouldn't grow in that particular place!"

       They walked slowly back to the Hall, enjoying the birdsong and the antics of the squirrels along the way. A group of acrobatic blue tits were cavorting on the branches, eating the fat which the cooks hung out for them, and robins were chattering furiously and becoming more territorial than ever as they prepared to build nests.

        Back at the Hall Sam stared at Frodo with great concern, noting the signs of recent tears. He frowned and Legolas whispered hastily:

       "Calm yourself, Sam. Aragorn would never upset Frodo deliberately."

       "I know. I just worry, is all."

       Merry glanced at his cousin. "Are you alright? You've been weeping."

       "Just a bit overcome. Sometimes the love others have for me is more than I think I deserve and I'm a little overwhelmed."

       "We love you for a reason, you silly so-and-so!" Merry ruffled Frodo's hair and then pinched his cheeks, kissed him on the nose and darted off before his cousin could box his ears.

       Aragorn reassured Sam. "I'm afraid I was talking to his parents about how much we care for him. He still feels he doesn't deserve it sometimes."

       "Ah, doesn't happen so much now. I think he knows what I feel."

       "Oh yes, you love him dearer than a brother. Rest assured that he feels the same about you."

       Sam's honest features lit up like a party lantern. "He does?"

       "Can you doubt it? He looks for you and when you enter a room he relaxes. You were always his light in dark places, Sam, even more so after Bilbo left."

       "He's always needed someone to care. Guess I'm good at that."

       "The best, Sam. The best there is."

                                                                           ************

       The horses and ponies were lined up outside, all harnessed and saddled, except for Arod and the horses belonging to the Twins. Since Gimli had acquired his pony, Legolas rode Arod Elf-fashion, although he added a decorative bridle and small bells for special occasions. The children were very interested in the horses, feeding them apples and peppermints, although Persimmon pouted because the guests were leaving.

       "Uncle Estel not go!" she declared, clutching Aragorn round the legs. He lifted her and sat her on his mighty horse, a great black steed from Rohan with a white star on his forehead.

       "We shall see you in a short time, at Uncle Sam's party. Can you dance, little mistress?"

       She nodded and patted the horse enthusiastically.

       "Then you and Peridot shall dance for me."

       "And Wosie-lass! She's my fwiend."

       "A trio of pretty little hobbit maids - what could be nicer?

       Merry and Pip were remaining behind. Bag End would be very full, so the Tooks and Brandybucks would travel to Great Smials and stay there, and journey to Hobbiton early on the morning of the birthday.

       The kitchen staff had packed a picnic lunch for all the travellers and were thanked profusely. Bergil was surrounded by the prettiest kitchen maids as he peered into the basket to see what had been provided. There was enough for at least three meals and he supposed that hobbits would find it almost impossible to journey for half a day without at least two meals - four if Pippin had anything to do with it. To those who were used to riding or marching all day without a halt it was an undreamed-of luxury.

       "We'll see you at the Dragon in a couple of days. Seven o-clock and don't be late! If we have enough to drink we may persuade all the patrons to sing the uncensored 'Nineteen Nights......' If we're really soused we might even include Verse Seventy-One!" Merry called, giving Gimli a leg-up onto his pony.

       "I wish I knew what happens in that verse," Faramir muttered as he thanked Saradoc for his hospitality. Saradoc laughed.

       "It's obscene, my lord."

       "Frodo said something about vegetables and anatomical impossibility."

       Saradoc nodded sagely. "That's right. Not that the other verses are much better. I haven't heard it for some years but I seem to remember a young lady doing something inventive with warm raspberry jam.........." He shook his head. "We're hobbits so food always tends to sneak in, even in that sort of song."

       Pippin sniggered. "Uncle Sarry! You know the words to that? I'm scandalised!"

       "Scandalised? You have never been scandalised in your life, Pippin! You young people always think you've invented such things. I was singing that song years before Frodo was a twinkle in his father's eye."

       Aragorn handed a reluctant Persimmon to her father. She kissed him once more, giggling as his beard tickled her face.

       "Bye-bye, Uncle Estel. See soon." She scrambled out of Everard's grasp and ran over to hug Legolas and the Twins, then the other Men and her beloved uncles Frodo and Sam. He father smiled fondly as he watched Sam lift her to hug Gimli.

       "She takes after her mother. Fierce, stubborn, willful, saucy and bewitching. Even your Steward, your cousins and various Men, Elves and a Dwarf are helplessly wrapped round her little finger."

        Aragorn smiled. "I know. So am I. Wonderful, isn't it?"

                                                                         ************

       The Bounders at the bridge had been told about the visitors, although they were unaware of the true identity of some of them. The papers with the signatures of Master, Thain, Mayor, Mister Baggins and the King himself, together with the seals of Gondor were very impressive, and they bowed low, particularly to the Steward of Arnor. They were waved through and paused to look at the Shire, which was bathed in warm sunshine, the trees showing pale green leaf buds and some already dressed in pale pink blossom. Here and there were little cottages and smials with bright gardens, flapping washing and chimneys puffing smoke, while livestock grazed contentedly and new lambs bounced and played in the fields.

       Aragorn reined in his horse and looked around. "This is even more beautiful than I ever dreamed."

       Bergil was twisting in the saddle to see all of the landscape. "I've never seen anywhere so......so lush and green. Ithilien is lovely but this is just so full of trees and flowers."

       Beregond and Faramir exchanged looks, both thinking how terrible it must have been for the returning hobbits to see their land scarred and ruined.

       The road was quiet with only occasional travellers, who stood aside and bowed. Even the most nervous hobbits who had suffered at the hands of the ruffians could see that these Men were different, with their clear eyes and fine features. The presence of the Elves and Gimli, whom most hobbits knew, at least by sight, was reassuring, and the Mayor and Mister Baggins seemed happy and content.

       They passed through Bridgefields and Whitfurrows, where they were introduced to the villagers and just outside, they settled on a grassy bank to eat their lunch. One of the more enterprising local hobbits sold them a large keg of ale and looked at the coin he had been given by the Lord Thorongil.

       "The King looks a bit like you, my lord," he said shyly.

       "Yes, there is a family likeness. I am his cousin," said Aragorn with a smile.

       "I'd like to meet him one day - he sounds a thoroughly good Man, from what we've been told by the Captains, and Mister Baggins and the Mayor."

       "The King is looking forward to meeting the Shirefolk, I can assure you. He admires the courage and joy of hobbits, and plans to come to the Brandywine Bridge on his journey to his Northern Lands. I have to say he has also developed quite a liking for Shire ale too."

       "Perhaps you can tell His Majesty that when he comes to the Bridge we will bring him the finest ales in the Shire."

       "I shall certainly tell him so." Aragorn bowed to the hobbit, who returned to his home brimming with tales of the Men and their good breeding and respect for hobbits.

        Frodo laughed. "You're outrageous, Strider, and far too good a tale-teller. 'The King is looking forward to meeting the Shirefolk' indeed!"

       "Perfectly true! I am looking forward to meeting them." He twinkled at Frodo and tapped the keg. "I have to try it - it would be rude not to."

       After a leisurely lunch they proceeded towards Frogmorton, pausing to see the cottage where Frodo spent his childhood and be introduced to Sam's sister Daisy, who soon recovered from her nervousness and produced apple cake for all.

       The steeds trotted along, making good time. They passed the lane on the right, which led up to Oatbarton in the Northfarthing, and continued westward, the sun shining before them. Trees hung over the road, new leaves whispering quietly, shading them from the glare, but it was warm. Cloaks and jackets were removed, pipes lit, and they laughed and talked while the miles sped past. By the time they reached the Three Farthing Stone the news of their coming had spread, courtesy of the Shire's fastest communication system - gossip - and several little groups of curious hobbits were standing shyly beside the road.

       Their arrival in Bywater created a huge stir. Stallholders and shoppers, farmers and goodwives all gawped at the sight of the tall, clear-eyed Men on their great horses, the two soldiers and the graceful Elves. Flora and Dora, who ran the candle stall, called to Frodo in excited, high-pitched voices.

       "Mister Baggins! We put your candle order on the cart with the other goods. The butcher and grocer sent a lot of things to Bag End and they said there was room for your candles. I hope that was alright?"  The twin sisters spoke together and often finished each other's sentences. Both widows, they were small and dumpy, with bright shawls and lots of tinkling jewellery.

       "Yes, that's fine. May I present our friends - Prince Legolas I think you know, and the Lord Gimli. This is the Lord Tarondor, the Steward of Arnor, and his brother, Lord Halboron, and this is their cousin, the Lord Thorongil. The handsome gentleman over there is Lord Cirion of Gondor, and those two are Captain Beregond and his son, Captain Bergil, who have also come all the way from Gondor. And the elegant Elves on the grey horses are the Lords Elladan and Elrohir, who are twins, like you."

       The two ladies twittered as they greeted the strangers, who dismounted and spent some time looking round and meeting many intrigued hobbits.

       Bergil found a beautifully carved horse at one of the stalls, just the thing to take back for a young cousin, and Faramir spotted a smooth wooden frog which would delight young Elboron. They promised to return and make many purchases in the next day or two, and left the folk of Bywater gossiping animatedly as they made their way out and up the road towards Hobbiton.

       Sam pointed out the two inns as they rode past, and some of the old gaffers outside called cheery greetings. They invited the guests to come and drink with them, and Aragorn called back that they would be joining them in two days, which seemed to satisfy most of the drinkers.

       The folk in Hobbiton were just as bemused but welcoming, and then it was out and over the bridge, past the Mill, where young Teddy Sandyman was sweeping and scrubbing the steps. He waved and they waved back, Frodo explaining who the lad was.

        The light was fading as they made their way up the Hill. In the West the sky was full of pink and gold, which reflected in the windows of the smials in New Row. The lights in Bag End's windows promised a wam welcome and Bill and Strider quickened their pace, prompting the horses to follow suit.

       At the stables the horses were rubbed down and settled, with plenty of hay and water. There were several open stalls as well as the closed stables, so there was room for them all, and the field was full of fresh Spring grass. Arod rolled on his back and rubbed his face in the sweet grass, much to Legolas' amusement, and after a moment's thought, Aragorn's great horse did the same, although he managed to look slightly bashful when he rose, as though he thought it was not a dignified thing for one of the Mearas to be doing.

       Sam waved the others to hide as he rapped on the door. Rose opened it, light streaming out into the garden and flooding the steps, and she embraced her husband joyfully, then hugged Frodo.

       "I knew you'd be back tonight, so I've made supper. Anyone with you?"

       "Hello, Rose." Gimli stepped into the light, followed by Legolas, and they were welcomed and hugged.

       "I guessed you two would come to Sam's party. Can't keep away, eh?"

       "These two decided to come along too," said the Elf, beckoning to the Twins. "Your cooking and the prospect of a talk with the mallorn have brought them here."

       "You're most welcome, my lords." They bowed and kissed her hands.

       "We found these two skulking around in Bree, and they've come a long way, so we took pity on them." Frodo stood aside to reveal Beregond and Bergil, who lifted Rose off her feet and swung her round.

       "It's my handsome young Captain of the Guard! And Captain Beregond! Welcome, welcome." She laughed and straightened her apron as Bergil set her down.

       "Then we found these two disreputable characters at the Pony. I'm sure we can find somewhere for them to sleep," Frodo added with a smile.

       Rose stared at the two smiling Men. Even she had not expected these two to turn up on her doorstep. "My Lord Aragorn! And Lord Faramir! But.....what......... oooohh, welcome to you both, my dears! To come all this way for Sam's birthday..........." She would have curtseyed but both Men were on their knees, hugging her and laughing. She wrapped her arms round their necks and kissed them both.

       "You should have seen Sam and Frodo when we revealed ourselves in Bree! They thought we were villains up to no good and out to rob them!"

       "It's just as well I tidied the place today - I'd have been ashamed for you to see the place in a state. You'll have to excuse any mess - the children don't always put their things away."

       Faramir shook his head. "We've come to see you all, not inspect the place for dust. This is a home, not a monument, dear Rose.

       "Now, my lovely Rose, I hope you don't rush for the tea towel, but we have brought two more guests with us. My cousin, the Steward of Arnor, and his brother were in Bree, and Frodo and Sam thought they should join us. They have long wished to meet the Ring-bearers, and Frodo thought it would be good for the Steward of Arnor to see the Shire he has been protecting for so long." Aragorn called his cousins forward. "May I present Tarondor, Lord Steward of Arnor, and his younger brother Halboron, a real scamp. He is the 'Pippin' of my own family. Cousins, this is Mistress Rose Gamgee, a remarkable hobbit in her own right."

       "Mistress Rose, I hope we have not inconvenienced you by our joining the party. We have longed to see the Shire, and it is a great pleasure to meet you and to see the Mistress of Bag End at last."

       "I echo my brother. This is the most perfect place in the whole of Middle-earth."

       Rose curtseyed. "My lords, you are more than welcome. The more the merrier, I say. Not quite sure where you're all going to sleep yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something. Come in, come in. Just mind your heads near the chandelier."

       "Yes. Gandalf was always knocking it - and bumping his head on the doorframe."

       "Where are the children?" Aragorn asked, ducking as he entered the hallway.

       "The younger ones are in bed and asleep, I hope. Ellie and Fro are getting washed and into their night things." She led the way into the parlour. "I'll have to find some more large chairs. The couch is a good size and very strong, and the big chair there was the one Gandalf always used during his visits. You should have his old room too, my lord," she said to Aragorn.

       "I am happy to share - Tarondor and I often shared a room or a tent."

       "Not since your accession, my lord King. You should enjoy Mithrandir's room - we can sleep in our bedrolls on the floor or in the garden." Rose was horrified at the Lord Tarondor's suggestion.

       "Garden? I'll not have my guests sleeping in the garden! We have a few guest bedrooms these days - added a bit more to the place seven or eight years ago, last time the Lords Elladan and Elrohir visited. The hill is quite large so we enlarged the place to take up all the room available. Might be a bit of a squash but I'm sure we'll manage."

       The parlour sideboard was full of supper dishes - a large ham, a chicken and mushroom pie, cold parsnip pie, salad, crisp new bread, creamy butter, and a pear and almond tart. Bergil's eyes almost popped out of his head at the sight, and Halboron whistled, much as Pip would have done.

       "I'll just go and do another pan of bubble-and-squeak," Rose said, and darted out of the room.

       "What's bubble-and-squeak?" Faramir enquired, waiting for Aragorn to sit before settling himself in Mithrandir's large chair.

       Frodo laughed. "It's boiled potatoes and cabbage, mixed together and fried until crisp and golden, usually in beef dripping or goose fat. Goes perfectly with cold meat."

       "Carrie serves it at the Pony sometimes." Aragorn stretched his long legs. "It's very tasty."

       "I vote we just stay here forever," said Bergil, sitting on the rug next to Legolas.

       Rose returned to ask if the visitors wanted tea or ale and wine. Sam hurried to the cellar to fetch a cask of ale and some wine bottles. When everyone had a mug or a glass, they sat back and soaked up the comfortable atmosphere of the cosy parlour.

       "So this is where little Pip was born?" said Aragorn.

       "Yes, in front of the fireplace. Poor Frodo panicking and trying to be brave for my sake, and me trying to be brave for him. We must have made a proper pair!"

        "Mum?" A small face appeared in the doorway and a little hobbit lass edged into the room. She wore a floor-length nightgown and her hair, which was tied in two bunches, was the colour of sunlight. She had a heart-shaped face, a pert nose dusted with very pale freckles, and large eyes of an unusual colour. "Sam-dad!" She raced to hug her father and then, remembering her manners, she approached the guests. She looked steadily at them all, smiling at Legolas and Gimli, then stood before Aragorn and gazed at him without fear. He accepted her appraisal with a gentle smile.

       "You're the King," she said at last, and swept into a deep curtsey.

       "She's been practising that curtsey for years," said her father proudly.

       "And I have never seen one better executed. How do you know who I am, my lady Elanor?"

       "Well.............that's the Ring of Barahir," she said, nodding down at his hand. "I've seen pictures of it in Uncle Fro's books. And we have your portrait in the dining-room. But mostly it's your eyes."

       "My eyes?"

       "They're clear and noble and ......and....kingly."

       Aragorn held her hands gently in his, and looked at her for several minutes. "The Shire was always beautiful, but it is even lovelier since you were born to grace it, fair mistress."

       Ellie darted a glance sideways at her parents, her mouth a round O of delight, then she wrapped her arms round the King's neck and hugged him.

       The other guests were introduced and greeted. They found Ellie a most delightful child, full of intelligent questions, an almost Tookish curiosity and a loving heart. Gimli produced a small case from his tunic and handed it to the child.

       "For your birthday, Elanor. I know it is a little late, but I hope you like it. It matches the remarkable colour of your eyes."

       The little lass opened the case carefully. Inside, under a layer of midnight blue velvet, was a single stone on a beautiful mithril chain. She gasped when she saw it, and looked at Gimli, unable to speak.

       Aragorn helped her to remove it from the box and he fastened it round her neck. "The stone is called an aquamarine, and it does match your eyes. It looks lovely, my fair Elanor."

       "Thank you, my Lord King. Thank you, dear Uncle Gimli!" She hugged and kissed the Dwarf.

        "It is indeed very beautiful, Master Gimli. That is so kind of you," said Rose.

       As they were all about to eat, another head appeared. This one was the image of his father, with a mop of wheaten curls, hazel eyes, a snub nose covered in freckles, broad shoulders and broad feet.

       "Your Majesty!" The boy bowed low, and Aragorn lifted him, his face wreathed in smiles.

       "It seems the Gamgee children cannot be fooled. How did you know?"

       Frodo-lad smiled. "The Ring of Barahir, and we have seen your picture and pictures by Uncle Merry. But you look like a King anyway."

       The guests were properly introduced to the boy, and he was soon comfortably seated on Faramir's lap while his sister snuggled with the King. They begged and pleaded not to be sent to bed, and Sam and Frodo added their pleas to those of the guests.

        "Drat it, I'm outnumbered! Oh well, I suppose it will do no harm just this once, and I doubt you'd sleep anyway because you're both too excited." Rose disappeared and returned with two large pans of sizzling bubble-and-squeak which she cut into wedges. The company stood and faced the West, and Tarondor was touched to see that the children did it without being prompted. Then they sat down and soon everyone was eating, exclaiming at each mouthful.

        "Oh my goodness! This is delicious! Wonderful, Rose. I thought the food at Brandy Hall would be hard to beat but you exceed them all."

        Rose blushed at the King's praise. "Get along with you, flatterer! I declare there won't be a lady in the Shire who won't be swooning at your feet."

        "Including Hyacinth Bracegirdle," added Frodo slyly.

        "That's it," said Faramir. "I shall insist we have bubble and squeak whenever we serve cold meat."

        Rose chuckled. "We often serve it with leftover cold meat from the joint. It is mostly done on wash-day, when the womenfolk have little time to cook a full dinner. Ah now, I can see you're surprised that we ever have leftovers, but we do."

       "We weren't going to say anything of the sort," Legolas protested, but the twinkle in his blue eyes gave him away.

        "Yes, you were," muttered Gimli. "Superb, as always, Rose. No-one anywhere in Middle-earth cooks as well as you."

         "The Lady Galadriel was right - you are silver-tongued, Master Dwarf," Rose teased.

         Another figure entered the room. Rufus strolled in, paused to stare at the Men and Elves, then walked to Aragorn and sat before him, his green-gold eyes steady.

        "See? Even Rufus knows you're the King," said Frodo.

        "Cats are very intelligent and intuitive creatures. They do say a cat may look at a King, and he is certainly doing that. Hello, my handsome lad." The King held out his hand and Rufus graciously sniffed the fingers, decided that he liked their owner and rubbed affectionately, rumbling gently all the while. He visited all the newcomers, bestowing gentle affection on all, then returned to his Master and stared at the table until he received his share of the ham.

       Sam wagged a finger at his children. "Now don't go giving the game away by mentioning the King during the party."

       "But what are we supposed to call you, my lord?" asked Ellie, handing round a dish of candied sweets to fill up the corners.

       "Why not the same as the Brandybuck and Took children? They have taken to calling me 'Uncle Estel' and I think you should too."

       "Is that what Persimmon is calling you?" Frodo-lad enquired

       "Oh yes, she was very happy to call me 'uncle'."

       Ellie nodded. "We'll remember. And you're Uncle Cirion," she said sleepily to Faramir. "I'm so glad you've all come to visit. There's so much I want to show you."

       "Plenty of time in the morning, sleepyhead. Your brother is already nodding."

       Rose ushered her two sleepy children out, after many hugs and kisses for the guests, and Sam began to clear the table. Aragorn and Tarondor joined him, and when Rose reached the kitchen she found the King at her sink, sleeves rolled up, washing plates while Faramir dried and Sam and Legolas put them away.

       "Elves and dragons! You're doing a very good job, I must say. If you ever need work I'll take you in any time, my Lord Estel."

       Aragorn bowed. "I am flattered. I enjoy tasks such as this, Rose. There is only so much fun to be had signing State papers, meeting ambassadors and hearing legal cases."

       They made their way to their rooms. Aragorn would occupy Gandalf's old room; Faramir and Beregond were to share a room, as were Tarondor and Halboron. Gimli went to his usual room, Bergil was happy to sleep on the couch in the study, and the Elves would stay out under the stars, with Legolas in the great oak tree, happily cradled in its branches.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List