Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

A very large hand descended on Sam's shoulder and a familiar voice said:

       "Really, Samwise, is this any way to greet the friends who have travelled far to be with you for such a special birthday?"

       Frodo looked at the ring on one of the long fingers, shrieked with joy and hurled himself at the Man. Sam was only just behind him, his mind still struggling to come to grips with the identity of the laughing Ranger in his simple dark green garb.

       "I'm sorry, Sam, but I could not resist the temptation to surprise you." Strider was on his knees, clasping the hobbits to him as tightly as he could.

       "Ah, you did at that," Sam replied levelly. "Thought we was about to be robbed or something. Never dreamed you'd be here."

       "We travelled fast and light," added Faramir, coming forward to greet his friends. He crouched to hold them, and was followed by two other Men. Their hoods flung back, the faces revealed were those of Beregond and his son.

       "We have left the ladies and Prince Imrahil in charge of the Kingdom. When Merry and Pippin mentioned this birthday we made plans to come and see you. Not a long visit but we hope to see how hobbits enjoy themselves."

       Merry and Pip strode in, laughing at the joke, and were also embraced. Pip was delighted to see Beregond and Bergil again. The young man was travelling into strange lands for the first time and was thoroughly enjoying the adventure.

       "You're coming into the Shire?" Frodo asked when he had recovered his breath.

       "I would not normally disobey my own laws, but permits have been granted to all of us."

       Pippin waved the documents. "Signed by the Thain and the Master. All they require now are the signatures of the Mayor and the Master of Bag End."

       "Esme and Saradoc knew about this? Ooooh, just wait till I see them!" Frodo laughed.

       Merry chuckled. "It's why Mother was somewhat distracted."

       "I can't believe this," Sam murmured. "That you'd come all this way for my birthday!"

       "My dear Sam, it is an honour to share it with you." Strider smiled, his hands clasping Sam's shoulders as he leaned forward to kiss his brow.

       "This permit refers to 'The Ranger Thorongil, otherwise known as Estel' - is that what we're going to have to call you?" said Frodo.

       "I assume many of the hobbits know I use the name 'Strider' so inside the Shire I shall be introduced as Thorongil. Faramir shall be Cirion, a simple Ranger from the South."

       "Fancy the two of you coming along. Is this your first trip in Northern lands?" Frodo hugged Bergil and his father.

       "Yes, I have never travelled further than Edoras and this young scamp has never been further than the Mering Stream until now, but an invitation to the Shire is a rare honour indeed, and not one to pass up." Beregond threw off his cloak.

      "It's so exciting!" added Bergil. "We stopped off at Edoras, and the people there were so welcoming. It was wonderful to see King Eomer in his own hall. I wouldn't have missed this journey and I can't wait to see the Shire and meet all the lovely hobbit lasses I've heard so much about."

       "And we're coming too!" said a gruff voice. Gimli stomped in, followed by his golden-haired friend, and there were more joyous greetings. Frodo was almost smothered by the luxuriant red-brown beard as the Dwarf hugged him.

       Legolas smiled. "It seems to me that your beard has grown even longer, Gimli. Is it the air in the Glittering Caves which causes this phenomenon?"

       "Good dwarven ale probably has something to do with it - although I swear it grows when you sing, you exasperating Elf!"

       "You've been sneaking into Fangorn and drinking ent-draughts behind my back."

       Gimli rumbled with laughter. "I wouldn't dare! Besides, I want to be able to step inside Bag End without bumping my head on the ceilings."

       "And we are not being left out, even if we do have to duck. We would enter upon our knees if necessary, " cried a melodious voice, and there were the Twins, both clad in soft blue and grey tunics, their dark hair braided simply.

       "We have a great desire to look upon the beauties of the Shire once more, and to see Bag End," said Elrohir, kneeling to greet the hobbits.

       "Not to mention the lure of Mistress Rose's cooking and all those hobbit parties," added Elladan.

       "I shall be interested to see how the mallorn tree has grown since our last visit."

       Legolas smiled. "You will see that she is a little different from those in Lothlorien. Her roots are deep in the Shire, not the Golden Wood, and she has acquired some.............hobbity sensibilities."

       Elladan threw back his head and released a burst of musical laughter. "That I have to see - a hobbity mallorn!"

       "Come along, the private dining-room awaits." Merry led the way down the passage, past the common-room and into the dining room, where a notice on the door stated Private party. No entry. Chairs and tables were quickly pushed together and Beregond and his son hurried to the bar to fetch more ale. They returned with a keg and two large baskets of buttered rolls which Pippin promptly grabbed.

       "I'm starved!" He munched happily. "Mmmmm! That's good."

       "Starved, Peregrin? That must be extremely distressing for any hobbit and particularly for you. What led to this dire state of affairs?" Aragon enquired, maintaining a concerned expression.

       "We've had nothing but travel rations today."

       "Rations?!" Frodo cried. "You call a Brandy Hall picnic 'travel rations'?"

       "Well, I suppose not," Pip conceded. "I'm just filling up the corners while I wait for our food."

       "I thought you did that after the meal, not before?" Bergil asked.

       Pip shrugged. "I'm a Took. We're not the most conventional hobbits."

       "A Brandy Hall picnic sounds more like a feast," Aragorn said to Frodo, who nodded.

       "There was a cold chicken, plus ham and cold beef, pie, crusty bread and butter, mushrooms, tomatoes, and fresh apples and pears, plus ale and lemonade. Even Pip cannot claim to be starved on that little lot!"

       Merriman Butterbur and a young lad arrived just then with many dishes containing stew, beef and onion pie, fluffy mashed potato, cold pheasant and sausages. Pippin smiled dreamily and everyone tucked in. The Elves ate less than the Men, but Gimli and the hobbits were still cheerfully filling up the corners when everyone else had declared themselves full. The conversation, which had more or less stopped, now resumed over pipes and ale.

       "How is baby Pip? Melian is saying a few words and learning to stagger. She crawls at such a pace her nurse cannot keep up with her, and little Theodwyn is almost as fast."

       "He has just learned to say 'Da' and 'Fuh' which might be 'Fo' and Elanor is 'Lellellell' or something like that. A fourteen month old hobbit is not as advanced in development as those of Men and Elves."

       Sam smiled. "He always says, 'Fuh' and holds his arms out to Frodo."

       "You helped him into the world, didn't you?" said Aragorn, lighting his pipe with a spill from the fire.

       Frodo nodded. "Yes, and that was terrifying. I was running round like a headless chicken I'm sure. Thank goodness I had Lord Elrond's book to refer to. Not sure I was very much help but..........."

       "Rose said she doesn't know what she would have done without you. You were very efficient." Sam turned to the visitors. "You'll have to excuse Merry-lad though. He's taken a dislike to wearing clothes and likes to run round naked, which has earned Ellie's disapproval."

       Faramir laughed heartily. "Little Elboron was like that - his sisters have never shown the slightest inclination to strip off but when he was about two years old he was constantly leaving his clothes in a pile somewhere and dashing about wearing nothing but boots."

       Aragorn grinned and darted a glance at the Twins. "I believe it is quite a common phase, particularly with young lads," he murmured. Elladan and Elrohir nodded, grinning infuriatingly at their foster brother.

       "Estel did something similar for a while when he first arrived in Imladris. Adar was very amused."

       "Oh dear, I do believe he's blushing!"

       Frodo giggled. "I was only telling Rose yesterday that Merry did it too - ran through one of Aunt Menegilda's ladies' teas. I don't know how I kept a straight face."

       "You didn't," said Merry. "You laughed so much Grandmother sent you out of the room a little later."

       "No, I managed not to laugh at you. It was Aunt Asphodel having an attack of the vapours and Lalia slapping her face which started the giggles. I thought they were about to have a fight, and then I imagined them throwing cream buns at each other and I lost control altogether."

                                                                           ************

       An invitation was issued to Barliman and his son to join the group in the parlour when the inn was closed. Everyone was keen to see the landlord's reaction when he saw Strider again and realised he was in the presence of the King. Aragorn contrived to conceal his face whenever anyone looked in, to increase Barliman's astonishment. He was quite gleeful about this, and Pippin thought he had never seen the rather stern-faced Man look so young and mischievous.

       At last they heard the bell ring to signal closing time, followed by footsteps in the passage outside, and various voices bidding the inn-keeper 'Good-night.' Nob clanged the gates and locked them, and closed and bolted the door. Moments later Barliman and his son entered rather hesitantly, carrying tankards.

       "It's very kind of you to invite us in, sirs."

       "Not at all, Barliman. We're glad to talk with you again," said Merry

       Mr Butterbur looked at Legolas and the two Imladris Elves with awe. "To think I have three of the Fair Folk in my inn!"

       "It is a pleasure to meet you at last, Master Butterbur," murmured Legolas. "Mithrandir - Gandalf - often spoke of you and his delight at spending time here."

       "Gandalf said that? My word!"

       "Master Gimli, you have visited us before," said Merriman. "It is good to see you again."

       Gimli and Merry introduced Beregond and Bergil, who pleased the Butterburs by admitting that although they had never visited Bree they had been drinking the Pony's excellent beer for some time.

       When Barliman was safely seated and - even more important - his tankard was firmly on the table, the dark-haired Ranger in the corner finally spoke.

       "It is good to see you again, Barliman my friend. How is business?"

       Barliman looked hard at the man tucked down in his chair. Something about the long legs and the way the hooded grey eyes flicked from one to another obviously tapped a memory in the lumber-room of the inn-keeper's mind. The beard and hair were better trimmed than they once were, but the features had not changed.

       "S.......Str........er..........Your Majesty!" he stuttered at long last, slipping out of his chair and falling to his knees. His son followed suit.

       "Get up, both of you. Be seated, I beg you. Barliman, I believe I owe you an apology. I was unpardonably rude when I was last here."

       "No, no, sire, you were never rude......."

       "Oh but I was. I had no right to say things like that. I hope you will overlook the lapse."

       The inn-keeper looked as though he would ride into battle if Aragorn asked him, never mind forgive him a few harsh words. "I daresay I was being a bit dense at the time, sire. I am more than honoured to have you and your friends here, and I have to say that business has never been better. We didn't know what the Rangers did for us until they left to ride to your aid. We soon found out once they'd gone. Now there are no ruffians, the law is properly maintained, the Greenway is a safe road and we have travellers and all sorts flocking to the Pony. We still see a great deal of the Rangers and the Lord Steward of Arnor himself stays here when he visits Bree."

       "My cousin should be here tomorrow. He was leading a patrol up the Greenway and is half a day behind us, so hopefully he will finally have a chance to meet the Ringbearers." Aragorn called Faramir forward and introduced him. "This is Prince Faramir of Ithilien, Steward of Gondor. He has never travelled to these lands before, but he seems to be enjoying himself."

       "I am indeed. I have heard many tales of Bree, from Mithrandir and from my king. We have been drinking your fine ale for some years, Master Butterbur."

       "Ah, Gandalf put a blessing on it, sir, and though I should think that's worn off by now, there still seems to be some magic about it."

       "There is. I see you are proud to supply the Royal household." Aragorn refilled his tankard.

       "We are. Although we'll take down the sign immediately if it offends you, sire." Merriman was still very over-awed in the presence of the King and so many nobles.

       "Not at all. In fact I have a small gift for you." As Aragorn spoke, Bergil fetched a parcel from behind the table and handed it to his King, who held it out to Barliman.

       The innkeeper removed the oiled wrappings and thick cloth which protected the contents. Inside was a crest of painted and silver- gilded wood - the White Tree and Seven Stars topped with the crown. It bore the legend  'By Appointment to His Majesty King Elessar Telcontar and the Royal House of Gondor and Arnor, Suppliers of Fine Ales.'

       "It is a Royal Warrant. Only a few are granted each year and those merchants and traders who supply the palace vie for these. Things can become quite......competitive." Aragorn started to laugh. "Three or four years ago we almost had a war in the merchants' area of the city. I had to give them a serious talking-to."

       Barliman thought he would not want to be on the receiving end of a talking-to from King Strider. He examined the Warrant carefully, his chest puffing out with pride until the buttons on his waistcoat almost popped off. Just wait until the landlord of that disreputable low tavern at the other end of the village saw this!

       "Thank you, sire. I.......I don't know what to say. That such a thing should happen in my lifetime! What would my old father have thought, I wonder?"

       A noise outside roused Frodo's curiosity and he went to the window. A figure was staggering along on the other side of the street, shouting at anything or anyone who blocked his path or offered him a perceived insult. Frodo sighed.

       "I see Ted Sandyman has not improved himself or tried to curb his drinking."

       "Ah, so that's Sandyman, is it?" Aragorn stood behind Frodo, peering into the darkness. "I assume he doesn't drink here?"

       "No sire, he most certainly does not," Barliman replied. "He is barred from this establishment - always causing trouble, he was. Picking fights every night and then going home to beat his wife and children. He drinks elsewhere, in The Cat and Fiddle. Theylet anyone in. No standards at all!"

       "His wife has left him, so I hear, and not a moment too soon," Merriman sniffed. "I heard he almost killed the oldest lad."

       "Yes, she returned to the Shire and is now living at New Row, next door to the Gaffer's old place. She and the children have suffered a great deal, but the Shire has the power to heal such hurts, and even the youngest child is happier, thanks to our Elanor." Frodo smiled.

       "I'm so looking forward to meeting the little ones," said Aragorn, re-seating himself. "I can imagine nothing more delightful than a group of happy hobbit children

       "Would the Lord Tarondor like to visit the Shire too?" asked Merry. "He is the Steward of Arnor, and we are part of that. I think we should invite him, and the Lord Halboron."

       "I'm sure they would be most honoured, my dear Merry, but we don't have passes for them....." Aragorn began. Frodo waved a hand.

       "Sam and I will sign them, and Merry and Pip can sign on their fathers' behalf. I should like to meet your cousins, and I agree with Merry that the Steward of Arnor should see the Shire. We will always be grateful to the Rangers for their protection, and perhaps it would be nice for them to see what they have been protecting."

       Aragorn chuckled. "Well, since you put it like that, how can anyone possibly refuse? My cousins have been longing to meet you for eleven years."

       "How come we've never met them before?" asked Sam.

       "When many of the Rangers came south to take the Paths of the Dead and fight the last battle, Tarondor and Halboron were fighting orcs and some of the Men of Angmar up near the Ettenmoors. Tarondor was badly injured and would have died but Halboron, who had taken an arrow in the shoulder, somehow managed to get him to Rivendell, with Lord Glorfindel's help. Lord Elrond was able to heal him, but he was not fit to travel when the party from Rivendell travelled south. By the time you arrived there they had left and returned north to clear out the small pockets of orcs and any who had made their way back to the Misty Mountains. Merry and Pip have met them though, once in Gondor and several times here in Bree."

       "Yes, and they speak very well of them. At least your cousins will have some idea what to expect from hobbits, and if they're not deterred by Merry and Pip then we shouldn't be too much of a shock for them!" Frodo ducked Pip's hand and grinned wickedly.

       Merry yawned. "Don't know about you, but I'm tired. I suppose it is rather late."

       Frodo looked at his pocket watch. "Nearly one-o-clock. I suppose we should think about turning in, or it will be morning before we've had any sleep."

       Tankards were drained and the group made their way to their rooms. The Butterburs bade them good-night and the lights in inn were gradually extinguished.

                                                                          ************

       By the time the friends assembled in the dining room for breakfast, the sun was up and the Elves had been for a walk. A plump, kindly woman was placing serving dishes on a side-table, glancing nervously at the tall Ranger as she did so. She remembered him as Strider and knew him to be the King, and she was rather flustered by the knowledge. .

       "Thank you, Carrie. It is Carrie, isn't it?"

       "Yes my lord. You do have a good memory."

       "I remember when you and Merriman were wed. You came from Archet, didn't you? Your children must be quite grown-up by now."

       "Yes, my lord. Perriman is fifteen and Kate is thirteen now. Doesn't seem five minutes since they were born." She hesitated. "Do you have children, sire?"

       "Yes, I have three, a son and two daughters. When they are a little older I hope they will travel to all parts of the kingdom and learn to appreciate many different people"

       "I hope we shall see them one day, my lord, and your Queen also." Carrie bobbed a curtsey and returned to the kitchens to fetch more food. With four hobbits at the breakfast table there would be a need for further supplies, particularly as one of them was Captain Pippin.

       Frodo never really woke up in the mornings until he had drunk several cups of tea. He smiled at the others and returned his cup to its saucer for the second time, and sighed happily as he surveyed the various dishes and platters.

       The sound of clattering hooves in the yard was followed by laughter and cheerful greetings, and brisk footfalls in the passage outside. Lords Tarondor and Halboron strode in and knelt before Aragorn.

       "My liege lord."

       "Up, cousins." The King embraced the two and raised them. "Some of this company you know, and two you have been anxious to meet for many years." He smiled. "May I present Frodo and Samwise."

       Both hobbits were somewhat embarrassed when the two Men knelt before them and addressed them with reverence.

       "My lords, this is an honour and a privilege."

       "We are delighted to meet you at last, my lord Tarondor, but we have no titles. We are hobbits of the Shire. Call me Frodo, as a friend."

       "And I'm Sam. I'm just a gardener, you know."

       Tarondor embraced them both. "I heard that you were much more than that."

       "I'm still a gardener first and foremost. Though I'm a husband and father too these days." He smiled proudly as Halboron held his hands and kissed his brow.

       Aragorn chuckled as he introduced his cousins to the rest of the company. "You'll find that Sam can be exasperatingly modest. The Gamgee stubborness is something to behold. He and Frodo will each argue the other one is the hero, and one of these days Merry or Pippin will be forced to take drastic action."

       "We should enjoy spending time with you."

       "And you will have the opportunity to do so. You two are also invited to the Shire, and this is a rare invitation so I should take advantage of it." Aragorn beamed at his cousins.

       "We would be overjoyed to visit the Shire and join you on the occasion of Sam's birthday. Are you sure it will be permitted?"

       "Of course," said Merry. "Frodo and Sam have signed the permits and Pip and I have signed for our fathers. Don't worry, you won't be chased off by the Bounders. The more the merrier, I say."

       "I assume you have not yet broken your fast?" Aragorn enquired as they all took their seats. "Will you have a Ranger breakfast or a hobbit one?" The Northern folk usually broke their fast with bread, meat and ale.

       The two dark haired Men looked at the brimming plates and dishes. "I have never had a hobbit breakfast but it all looks far too tempting. What do we have - bacon, sausages, tomatoes, eggs, mushrooms..........and that is....?"

       "Fried bread," Pip replied. "It's the best!"

       "Quite a recommendation," murmured Halboron. "I'm starving."

       "Then you should tuck in before Pip eats it all," said Frodo with a laugh.

       Carrie Butterbur appeared with two enormous teapots of fresh tea, and everyone set to with enthusiasm.

                                                                          *************

       "Where does Peregrin put it all?" Halboron asked much later as he and his brother watched in hypnotised fascination while the hobbits continued to eat.

       "He has a hollow leg," replied Frodo with a straight face.

       "Or two," added Merry.

       "Ah, but I don't put on any weight, do I?" Pip said smugly.

       "You wait. It will all catch up with you when you're sixty-five. You'll be the fattest Thain in Shire history," Frodo chuckled. Merry made a loud snorting noise which he did not bother to disguise.

       "Fatter than Lalia? Thank you for that, Fro!"

       "Not at all, my dear Pip."

       "These four corrupted Gondorian nobility and three of the First Born with their bawdy drinking songs last year when they came to Gondor. You simply have not lived until you've spent an evening drinking with hobbits and learning all about 'The Virgin of Staddle' and the 'Maid of Michel Delving' - who doesn't remain a maid after the second verse and turns out to have some surprising talents and a very supple spine! Not to mention 'Nineteen Nights in Nobottle'!" Aragorn explained.

       "All thirty-five verses!" added Faramir with a grin.

       "Ah, but we gave you the censored version."

       Aragorn pretended to glower at the four impudent faces. "You sang me an incomplete version? I am most displeased, Peregrin. I shall have to think of a suitable punishment for such disobedience. How long is the full version?"

       "Seventy-nine verses, but we never sing the uncensored version in polite company. And I think Bergil is too young to hear Verse Seventy-One."

       "I'm of age!" cried Bergil indignantly.

       "Oh, so you are. I always forget that Men come of age so much earlier," said Pippin.

       Frodo twinkled. "I suspect even the Elves are too young for Verse Seventy One!"

       "We are quite unshockable, but I suspect our Little Leaf may be scandalised," said Elladan mischievously.

       Legolas smiled serenely. "I've been in Dwarf taverns. Anyway, do you think the Elves of the Greenwood know only romantic songs and epic poems?"

       "What happens in Verse Seventy One?" asked Faramir, nearly exploding with curiosity.

       "We couldn't possibly tell you while we're sober. You'll have to wait till we're really drunk. Although we may not sing Seventy One in any great detail even then."

       "Why not?"

       "It's anatomically impossible," said Frodo.

       "How do you know?" Merry enquired.

       "Don't look at me like that, Merry Brandybuck! There are some uses for which vegetables were not intended!" said Frodo with finality.

       Aragorn looked round with great satisfaction at the laughing friends. "You see?" he said to his cousins, who were finding much amusement in the exchanges. "Happy hobbits - where would we be without them?"

       An hour after breakfast the group was assembling in the yard where Nob was helping to saddle the ponies and making a great fuss of Bill. There was one great surprise for the hobbits; Gimli now had a pony of his own, a very placid beast from Rohan, which had been chosen for him by King Eomer.

       "Silly creature took a liking to me and I canna be rid of him," he said gruffly, but he stroked the pony's head and talked softly in Dwarvish when he thought no-one was looking.

       The bags were loaded on the pack horses of Rivendell and Gondor, and the group set off, waved away by the Butterburs. Barliman and his son were preparing to fix the Royal Warrant to the front of the inn, above the door.

       Bree was sparkling in the sunshine of a Spring day. The streets were clean and the windows of the shops and houses gleamed. People stopped to look at them, to greet the hobbits, bow to the Steward of Arnor and marvel at the Elves. Some of them thought one of the Rangers looked a bit like Stick-at-Naught Strider, but had the Captains and the Steward not said that he was now the King? The king would obviously not be riding through the streets of Bree, dressed in plain tunic and trousers with a dark green wool cloak, looking like any other Ranger, so they shrugged and went about their business.

       Thus it was that King Elessar Telcontar rode out of the West Gate of Bree, and the group turned towards the Old Forest and Buckland. Mist still hung over the Barrow-downs and there was no sign of Tom Bombadil as they made their way along the road. Second breakfast and elevenses were taken on pony and horseback but they stopped for lunch to the north of the road, away from the Barrow-downs and the Old Forest, lest the horses be frightened. Even Aragorn gave the trees a wide berth and much respect as he could feel the power in them. The conversation was animated and cheerful and the journey seemed to take no time at all. They passed the Forest and turned off onto the road to Brandy Hall, where a great welcome was prepared.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List