Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

Author's Note: I have followed the dates in the family tree for Sam's birth year. The Tale of Years contradicts this and says 1383 but I decided to go with 1380.

March 1430 SR

It all started during the visit to Gondor. Frodo happened to mention that it would be Sam's fiftieth birthday the following Astron and that they should think about how to celebrate it. A speculative gleam entered Pip's eyes.

       "Just you leave it to us, Fro. I know exactly what to do. It can be your surprise too. Trust us, it will be fun."

       Words to strike terror into the heart of anyone who knew what could follow. Frodo rolled his eyes and wondered just what he had let himself in for. He remembered a good many colourful incidents which had started with those innocent words.

                                                                          ************

       "Hope you two are ready. We're going to Bree tomorrow!" Merry and Pip breezed in to the kitchen. They had been staying at Bag End for Merry-lad's and Elanor's birthdays.

       "Bree? Why Bree?" Sam looked up, surprised.

       "It's part of your birthday festivities - we're going to see old Barliman."

       "Seeing dear old Barliman is always fun but it seems a strange way to begin Sam's birthday celebration." Frodo was occupied changing baby Pip's shirt, which was covered in bits of his breakfast - egg and butter and jam.

       "Don't be difficult, Fro. This is your surprise too. We told you, just enjoy it."

       "Why do I suspect that the words 'Trust us. It will be fun' are marching in the direction of this conversation?" Frodo worked a clean chirt over the wriggling hobbit's head. "Now where's Pip-lad? Oh there you are! Peepbo!" This was answered with a gleeful squeal.

       Sam glanced sideways. "Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say that about the 'exploding ale barrel' incident?"

       "Uh-uh." Frodo had a nappy pin clenched between his lips.

       "And the 'Bilbo's party fireworks' incident?"

       "Mmmm." Frodo wrestled the baby into a position suitable for fixing a nappy, encountering fierce resistance as he did so.

       "And the 'sightseeing in Rivendell, damaged hornets' nest, angry snake, Ranger and future King in river' incident?"

       "That too." Frodo did his best to ignore the chortling and unrepentant pair although he was choking back his own laughter. He was fighting the baby, who did not seem to want his trousers on and was kicking wildly.

        "The what?" Rose enquired. "I remember the exploding barrels and the fireworks, but what's all this about hornets and snakes and Aragorn in a river?" She watched Frodo bounce the properly clean and tidy baby. Little Pip's feet danced on his uncle's knees and he made all sorts of approving gurgles. He disliked being dressed or undressed but was perfectly happy once the process was over.

        "Once I was up and about after Weathertop, we wanted to see Rivendell and Strider volunteered to show us round. Of course, he grew up there so we couldn't have had a better guide. Bear in mind that this was supposed to be a gentle recuperative outing for me!" He glared at his cousins. "The Elves packed us a magnificent picnic and we set off. It was a glorious day, very warm for October - I think the weather in Rivendell was always gentle and temperate - and we had elevenses in a glade. Then we walked on, into the valley. Aragorn showed us all sorts of things - plants, birds and animals - which we might otherwise have missed. At some point Pip spied a large hornets' nest high on a tree, and decided he wanted it as a trophy. By that time of year it should have been empty, but Imladris is, as I said, a little different. I tried to persuade Pip that it wasn't a good idea to try and reach it anyway, but he wouldn't listen to me and Aragorn had wandered further down the path. Pip's answer was 'Trust me, it'll be great fun' and the next thing I knew, he had found a branch and was whacking the nest for all he was worth, trying to dislodge it. Only it wasn't that easy to dislodge....."

        "Weren't empty neither!" Sam retorted. "Blessed things came zooming out and they were not exactly happy about being disturbed. They were enormous! Big as blue tits and in a fury."

        "We ran and they followed. I don't know what Aragorn thought was happening as we all hurtled down the path and barrelled past him, yelling." Frodo wiped his eyes and fought back the giggles.

       "He caught on quick though. Took one look at the hornets and took off after us. He had the advantage with those long legs of his, and led the way into a thickly wooded area where we hid in the bushes. Strider said the they would find the sap in the leaves unpleasant. We sat there for ages before the wretched things grew tired and flew off - I think there were some very ripe berries nearby so they went and fed on those." Sam finished slicing a large ginger cake into generous portions.

        "Then we ate lunch and had a rest before setting off again. We found some beautiful blackberries but the bushes were growing on a quite precarious ledge over a stream. Merry and Pip were not put off and scrambled up to gorge themselves. Merry slapped me on the back and said: 'Trust me, it'll be fun!' Sam and I were more cautious, luckily. I thought I could hear a strange hissing noise, and when I looked into the heart of the bush I saw a large and very cross-looking adder. Usually they slip away if they can but this one was spoiling for a fight. Aragorn grabbed the two of us and threw us across the stream and then reached in to the bushes and plucked these two out. He threw them over......"

       "None too gently, I may add," said Pippin ruefully, helping himself to cake.

       "Then he turned and went to jump, but his clothing was caught in the bushes with all the thorns, and his shirt ripped, he missed his footing and landed on his bum in the water!" Sam laughed.

       "We tried not to howl, honestly, but his face was such a picture that we couldn't help it." Merry was giggling at the memory, and Rose was crying with laughter and wiping her face with her apron.

       "Even the snake looked nonplussed! It peered over the edge at him and then slithered off - proably went to tell its family it had encountered the strangest beings. We helped the Ranger out of the water and couldn't resist making jokes about his finally having a bath. He took it in good part, I have to say."

       "You should have seen Arwen and Elrond when we returned. Their faces! Glorfindel had to walk away because he was laughing so much, and the Twins teased poor Strider unmercifully for days. Gandalf just shook his head and muttered, 'Hobbits!' when he heard."

       "Anyone would think we're irresponsible," Pip muttered, and was drowned out by the shrieks of laughter from the residents of Bag End.

       "We're not going to lead you into any trouble. We're just going to Bree," added Merry, sounding aggrieved.

       "Which probably means some sort of adventure, profuse apologies to assorted villages and huge amounts in compensation!" Frodo replied.

       "You won't be saying that when you find out what the surprise really is," Merry grumbled, and then became very mysterious and would say nothing more.

                                                                         ************

       Sam, Merry and Pippin were at the stables, saddling the ponies for the trip. Rose had requested a quiet word with Frodo and the two of them were in the study.

       "I wouldn't normally ask," Rose said, "But I need some extra money to buy the foodstuffs for the birthday and some bills will fall due this week."

       "My dear Rose, you know you can just come and take whatever money you need. You don't have to ask."

       "Couldn't do that. It wouldn't be right. I don't want to ask Sam because we're trying to keep this secret. Merry and Pippin have also placed orders at the butcher's and the grocer's, and the Valar knows what they've ordered!"

       Frodo opened a little drawer at the back of the dest and took out a bag of money. He counted some gold King's coinage and several Shire pennies into her hand. "Is that enough?"

       "More than enough, I hope! I don't think we're going to be feeding an army but you never know when those two have made the arrangements. .Even I don't know what's going on because they haven't told me much."

       "No shortage of money here, thankfully. Well, my cousins are somewhat predictable so I daresay an Elf and a Dwarf may be joining the party."

       "I couldn't say - just had a few nods and hints. Thank you for this." Rose pocketed the money in her apron and Frodo returned the money bag to the drawer and made a quick note in the ledger.

       "If you find you need anything else you are to help yourself, you hear?"

       "Merry Gamgee! Come back here at once and put some clothes on!" Elanor's voice echoed down the passageway.

       "No!" This was followed by giggling and the sound of pattering feet on the polished wood. Merry-lad appeared in the study doorway, wearing nothing but a smile and a hat which even his baby brother had grown out of.

       Frodo and Rose struggled not to laugh. Frodo considered the little faunt carefully, his head tilted slightly. "Is this what Hobbiton and Bywater society will be wearing for the summer?" he enquired gravely, trying not to notice that Rose had turned away and was making most unladylike snorting noises. "I should ditch the hat if I were you though, lad. It's doing nothing for you, sitting on your head like a pimple on a pumpkin, as Bilbo used to say." Behind him, Rose guffawed.

       "There you are!" Ellie arrived and stood behind her brother, hands on hips, the very picture of exasperation. "You can't run about with no clothes on. It's not proper!"

       "Off you go now, Merry-lad. Let Ellie get you dressed. Naked hobbits aren't allowed any elevenses." Frodo did his best to look stern and the child allowed his sister to take his hand and lead him back to the nursery, her scolding gradually fading as they moved out of earshot.

       Rose slumped weakly on to the chair, giggling hysterically. "That child! Mum says it's a phase. Jolly did it too, I remember. I'm sure his namefather never did such things."

       "Oh yes he did. He once ran through my Aunt Menegilda's sitting room in the middle of one of her ladies' teas, as naked as the day he was born. Aunt Lalia almost choked on her cucumber sandwich and Aunt Gilda's face was a picture - and not one you would want on the wall!"

       "What were you doing there?" Rose mopped her face.

       "She liked me to hand round the cakes and sandwiches. I hated it - all those old aunts pinching my cheek and telling me I needed more meat on my bones. Lalia was terrifying, of course. Poor Ferumbras had to wait years to really be the true Thain because as long as she was alive he deferred to her. She referred to herself as Thain and no-one was brave enough to contradict her.She was the most tyrannical old fiend I've ever met. She could have taught Sauron a few things, I'm sure. Then there was Great Aunt Freesia, who had eyes like gimlets. She could have bored a hole through marble!"

       "Sounds a bit like my old Gammer Brown. She was a right old dragon and we were scared stiff of her."

       Merry poked his head round the door. "Stop sweet-talking the Mayor's wife and grab your pack, or we'll be at Frogmorton before you've set out!" He ducked as Frodo threw a cushion at him.

       His pack was by the door but he had left his jacket in his bedroom. Rufus was sprawled on the bed, sunning himself and studiously ignoring the towel Rose had placed on the counterpane to minimise the hairs.

       "You are a bad cat," Frodo said, tickling the exposed belly. Rufus rolled and gave Frodo an upside-down grin, his paws waving. "Rose will have things to say to you if you leave hairs all over the place. And no doubt I shall get the blame!"

                                                                         ************

       In the lane the ponies were waiting. Bill and Strider were to be semi-retired after this trip, although they would no doubt still have outings, and they would continue to pull the cart for a while. Sam had a new young pony, one of Bill's sons out of Pippin's mare, and Frodo had a beautiful pony gifted to him at Yule by the King of Rohan. Limlight was one quarter horse, and not just any horse, because his grandsire was the mighty Shadowfax. He was a magnificent looking beast, pale as starlight and swift as the wind, with a mane and tail the colour of milk. He graciously allowed Sam to brush and feed him but would carry no-one but Frodo, unless it was one of the children. Frodo would not have been strong enough to ride him before his illness, but now he enjoyed it. He had never been so frighteningly exhilarated as he had been the first time he rode him. He doubted if Limlight would do anything so mundane as pull a cart.

       For now though it was dear old Strider who stood patiently in the lane, and Frodo rubbed the velvety nose and gave him an apple. This prompted sour looks from the other three ponies and he was forced to go back to the kitchen and grab some more.

       The four enjoyed travelling together and these occasions were even more precious with Frodo happy and chatting freely. They trotted down the hill, waving to little Violet Sandyman and Teazel Shortburrow, Sam's niece, who were playing at the end of New Row. On the way through Hobbiton, Merry and Pip stopped for a word with various stall holders, and they did the same in Bywater. One of the tradesmen called to Sam.

       "Having a party, Master Samwise?"

       "Don't ask me, I'm just the birthday hobbit! These rascals have told me nothing." Jolly laughter followed them out of the market square.

       Lunch at the Floating Log set them up, and after a rest and a pipe they set off again. The lanes were full of spring flowers and in a field near Whitfurrows the hares were leaping and boxing and bounding. They reined in their ponies and sat watching the display, smiling to see the creatures so joyful on a breezy day.

       To their left was the cottage where Frodo had lived with his parents, and Merry was surprised to see his cousin turn towards it where he had avoided the place for years. Sam eldest sister, Daisy, lived there now, and she walked round the side of the cottage when she heard voices.

       "Well, well! Turning up like four bad pennies, eh?" she chuckled. Sam looked aghast.

       "There's no call to be speaking like that to Mister Frodo, our Daisy!"

       "Mister Frodo knows I'm jesting, and so do the Captains. I only do it to rile you, little brother."

       Frodo laughed. "Looks like you've bested him again, Daisy. How's Ned? And the children?"

       "Fit, fat and thriving. Will you come in for tea?" She twinkled at Pippin. "There's fruit cake, jam sponge and my Mum's special tea bread."

       Pippin whimpered. "We'd love to," he squeaked.

       Sam's brothers always said that Daisy had a tongue like a sacking needle, but she had a heart of gold and would defend her family to the death. She made her guests comfortable and filled them with tea and cake until they could barely move.

       They rode into Buckland and arrived at Brandy Hall, where they would spend the night. Esme was scurrying about in a cleaning frenzy, which happened in the Spring, and Saradoc was busy reviewing the contents of the wine cellar. The Hall was not quite as chaotic as in Frodo's childhood. Fewer members of the family lived there and the Master's apartments were very peaceful. Estella and Diamond joined them from Crickhollow and they spent a happy family evening, talking and eating. The two wives were both expecting babies and were safely past the most dangerous time. There was much teasing that Merry and Pippin had been very busy in the weeks following their return from Gondor and these two babes were the result.

                                                                        ************

       After an enormous breakfast they set off early, in order to reach Bree before nightfall, although they were travelling at a brisk trot. On their return from the Quest they took things slowly because Frodo's health was poor; now they cantered swiftly along the East Road, the Old Forest to their right. There was power there, but no menace these days, at least none that disturbed them.

       "I wonder why the trees aren't frightening any more?" Sam wondered.

       "I think there are several reasons, although they still have the power to menace those who would threaten them," said Frodo. "With Sauron gone, the darkness has lifted from much of Middle-earth's old dark places. Merry and Pip have the 'tree-light' in them, according to Treebeard, as they drank Ent draughts, and the trees recognise them as brothers. But I think the main reason is that we're not the timid hobbits we once were, and perhaps the Old Forest, like Fangorn, is a place where you are brought face to face with your own darkness. Makes me very glad I never tried to go in there when I was so full of despair and torment - I hate to think what I might have seen or done."

       The others were silent, wondering what would have happened to Frodo. Merry had the horrible notion that his cousin would most likely have been driven to slay himself, and he shivered. He glanced at Sam and knew that the gardener was thinking the same. He leaned over to whisper to Pip, whose eyes widened in horror at the thought.

       "Look!" Sam cried, pointing up. They followed his gaze, and there, hovering against the scudding clouds and patches of blue, was a giant Eagle. "Do you suppose it's Gwaihir?"

       "It could be. A flight from the Misty Mountains would be nothing to him - a few flaps of those enormous wings."

       "I wonder if they fly to Valinor and back? They belong to Manwe after all." Pip shaded his eyes.

       "I don't know. I should have asked Gandalf - although they are not to be used as messengers, Pip, so you can take that look off your face right away. They are not carrier pigeons!"

       Merry started to laugh. "I'm certainly not going to tie a note to Gwaihir's leg!"

       "Ass!"

       They settled in a meadow and ate lunch, an excellent picnic prepared by the kitchen staff at the Hall. When all had eaten as much as they could, they sprawled back, smoking pipes and watching the clouds change shape. Merry and Pip argued about each one while Sam and Frodo smiled and listened.

       "That one looks like a ram - see the curly horns?" Merry indicated a patch.

       "More like a Balrog to me!"

       "Balrog my arse! It's a ram!"

       "That one over there looks just like Gandalf's hat."

       "That? It's a collapsing meringue - and don't you dare tell me that Gandalf's hat ever looked like a collapsed meringue!"

       "Not that one, blockhead! THAT one!" Pip pointed with the stem of his pipe.

       "Oh. Well yes, I suppose it does, now you come to mention it."

       "See! You're such a grouch. Now that one over there seems to be a horse."

       "A speeding horse - Shadowfax perhaps?"

       "Or Fro's new pony." Pip gestured to a particularly fluffy cloud. "That looks like whipped cream - or mashed potato. I like either."

       "I thought we would return to food sooner or later," Frodo murmured to Sam.

       "I heard that!"

                                                                        ************

       They caught the grazing ponies and continued. The day was hastening as the road curved and they looked to their right, where mist lurked in the hollows of the Barrow-downs. The chilly mounds were tinged with shadow as the sun slipped behind the Tower Hills, and a heavy darkness fell upon the Old Forest. Even at noon in the height of summer it was a sinister place. The road was safe and that was where they were staying. The ponies began to trot a little faster, perhaps sensing the village ahead and the promise of food and shelter.

       The gates were still open. The gatekeeper was chatting to a friend as they arrived. He saluted, recognised the Captains and held the gate for them. The lights of The Prancing Pony called enticingly as they rode up the slope and through the arch between the inn's two wings. Merry called for Nob, who greeted the hobbits politely and the ponies like old friends, and the four pushed open the door and stepped inside.

       Barliman Butterbur, slightly greyer but otherwise unchanged, was holding forth on some important local topic but he halted and greeted them with genuine delight.

       "Mister Brandybuck! Captain Meriadoc, I should say. And Captain Peregrin! And the Mayor and Mister Baggins, all together again. Unless you're being Mr Underhill again, sir? No? Well, if this isn't a sight to gladden the heart. Your rooms are all ready for you, gentlemen." He bustled round and shook their hands, shouting for Nob to take the bags.

       "You booked the rooms?"

       "Of course we booked the rooms. We've been planning this for months."

       Another man emerged from behind the bar, his hands full of foaming mugs. Merriman Butterbur looked like a younger version of his father - just as red-faced, with slightly more hair and a better memory. He beamed at the hobbits over the beer froth and said he hoped to talk with them later, as he carried the drinks to a somewhat rowdy table in the corner.

       They followed Nob along the passage to their rooms, where jugs of hot water and fresh towels were waiting. Pip flopped on one of the beds while Frodo stretched.

       "Tired, Fro?" Merry asked anxiously.

       "No, just ironing out the knots from a day's riding. Why, what would you have said if I'd said yes?"

       "Left you to sleep for a while of course."

       "You have to remember, I'm an elderly hobbit these days," Frodo said with a cheeky grin.

       "Rubbish!" Merry rubbed his hands. "Come along then - freshen up and let's be off for some food. I could eat a horse and the cart as well!"

                                                                        ************

       The Common Room sounded full, with voices raised in song and merriment. They elected to go to the parlour, which was quieter, and eat there. Merry pushed the door and they walked in. One side of the room was almost in darkness. Only one other table was occupied, and so dimly lit was that part of the room that they could see little of the four Men who sat there huddled together, deep in conversation. They gave the hobbits a cursory glance and went on with their discussion, and Merry led the way to the illuminated area and selected a hobbit-sized table. They decided what they would eat and Merry and Pippin departed for the bar, leaving Frodo and Sam gazing at some of the pictures on the wall above their table.

       Behind them, the Men had obviously decided to leave, or go instead to the Common Room. Chairs scraped as they were pushed back. Soft footfalls padded across the floor and then, to their alarm, one of the Men was standing immediately behind them. The two hobbits glanced sideways at each other, wondering what to do, when suddenly a very large hand descended onto Sam's shoulder.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List