Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Adventures Planned

Elrohir flung himself onto his bed, laughing at the stunts he and his brother had pulled that day. ‘Those Dark wood princes won’t be able to match this.’ He thought to himself happily. His brother walked into the room, closing the door behind him, and sat down at the little table by the fireplace.

“Good day?” He asked.

Elrohir propped himself up on his elbows and nodded. “What shall we do tomorrow?”

Elladan shrugged. “Perhaps we shall wait and see what those three come up with?”

Elrohir frowned. “What? Please tell me you are jesting.”

Elladan grinned. “Of course, dear brother. Do you really think that we will rest, while three new elves are in Rivendell that we can prank on until the stars fall?”

Elrohir lowered himself back onto his bed staring at the ceiling delicately designed with ocean scenes. “I feel up for an adventure. I wish to travel.” He turned his gray eyes to meet with his brothers.

Elladan nodded in agreement. “I agree. But you know father will not allow us to while the Mirkwood family are here.”

“True, but if we were to just leave, then what would he say?”

“Think of the trouble we would be in when we returned.” Elladan sighed defeated. “I wish to see Bree.”

Elrohir sat up and stared hard at his twin. “What?”

“Well, do you not wish to see the men of this world? We have yet to travel so far as to meet with other races.” Elladan returned the hard stare of his brother.

“Sweet Eru, no.” Elrohir hissed. “They are smelly, and I hear they never bathe. I also hear that they are loud and crude.”

Elladan chuckled. “Well yes, I hear so as well. But to travel and see for ourselves would be a great adventure.”

Elrohir groaned loudly. “You are impossible to argue with, do you realize that?”

“Of course, I am older and smarter then you are, and far more skilled with argument.”

Elrohir sat up and tossed his pillow at his twin. Elladan caught it and threw it back. “Alright, but when shall we go?”

“Tomorrow night? Then we will be able to get provisions for travel, and elude father.”

“Weapons?” Elrohir raised his eyebrow.

Elladan snorted. “Of course weapons, we do not know how men are to strangers, and we know little of Bree.”

The younger twin nodded and leaned back on his elbows. “Now if you do not mind, I wish to rest.”

Elladan smiled. “What is stopping you?”

“You are, go away, return to your own bed.” Elrohir rolled over and pulled his blanket up to cover himself before closing his eyes.

Elladan took a deep breath and stood up. “Good night, Ro.” He whispered walking to the door and closing it behind him silently. He stood outside his brother’s door for a moment before walking to his own, but before he was able to turn the handle an elf raced around the corner heading towards him.

He caught sight of Galen, and paused hesitantly.

“Peace!” Galen called. “Have you seen my brother’s?”

Elladan frowned. “No, not since this afternoon. Why? Have you lost them?” He slowly smiled.

“This is no laughing matter. They said they wanted to wander Rivendell and explore. I have not seen them since we parted at our rooms.” Galen growled.

Elladan held up his hands in defense. “My apologies. Did they say where they were headed?”

Galen shook his head. “No, only that they saw a waterfall near some woods, that they wanted to see.”

Elladan felt his eyes widen. “Oh-“ He paused wondering if he should reveal where he suspected they were. “Give them some time to return.” He rubbed his eyes warily.

“You will not help?”

“All I said was give them time to return before panicking. How long have they been gone?” Elladan asked curiously.

“Far too long.” Galen hissed angrily.

The elder twin sighed. “Alright, let me wake Elrohir, and then we will search for them.” He turned around, his eyes looking longingly at the door to his bedroom, where his large comfortable bed sat unused. He knocked lightly on his brother’s door, earning a complained growl.

“I am not here.” Came the tired response. “Come back when daylight approaches.”

Elladan chuckled. “Ro, get up, we have two lost princes.”

“You go, I will keep my bed warm.”

Erhir!” Elladan growled, slipping to his childhood name reserved for his younger twin. “Up, now!”

The door opened revealing a wide-eyed elf. “That was most strange.” Elrohir slipped out of his room, glancing at Galen curiously. “Was I dreaming?”

Elladan shook his head. “Nay brother, let us help the crown prince locate his brother’s then we shall sleep.”

Elrohir frowned. “You called me-“ He paused pursing his lips. “Never mind.” He slipped back into his chambers then returned with a cloak and his two short swords. “Go, get your stuff, I will wait.” He said grumpily.

Elladan glanced at his twin then murmured in their twin speech. “I think they explored to Gur woods.”

Elrohir’s mouth dropped open. He shook his head, trying to clear the fog from too little sleep. “Say again?” He uttered.

“You heard.” Elladan disappeared into his own chambers exiting with a bow and quiver of arrows.

“You have not-“ Elrohir once again paused, earning a hard look from his older twin. He fell silent.

“Where have your brother’s gone?” Elrohir questioned an impatient crown prince.

“I already said I do not know” He snarled.

Elrohir frowned. He turned to his older brother. “What makes you say Gur woods?” He muttered in their twin speech.

“I see you have not forgotten how to speak our language.”

“Well, obviously not. Seeing as you wish our words spoken to be secret, why do you say those dratted woods?”

“Galen said the waterfall near the woods on our boarders.” Elladan shrugged. “Only a guess, until we have more proof.”

Ai!” Elrohir moaned. “This will impress father.” He wrinkled his nose.

“Do you two mind speaking words, I can distinguish?”

Elladan and Elrohir glanced at each other hesitantly. “Let us go, we must find them before our parents send out a search party.” Elrohir flashed his twin a broad grin and dashed off out the doors, calling over his shoulder. “It seems, dear brother, that we shall get our adventure after all.” With a wild laugh he disappeared into the darkness.

Elladan glanced at Galen quickly, shrugged, and took off after his twin. “Come Galen, we race.” Elladan sprinted into the darkness, followed closely by the crown prince of Mirkwood.

Elrond lifted his head from his paper work. Had he just heard the twin’s laughter? ‘At this hour?’ He thought to himself. ‘What are those two up to now?’ He frowned, a sense of dread entering his heart.

He stood up and walked over to the window and glanced around the grounds for signs of his son’s. But also knowing he would find none, if they choose to remain hidden. Turning away from the window, he shivered. Taking a deep breath he walked to the doors, and decided to check and see for himself whether they were up to no good.

By the time Elrond had searched the entire house, looking for his mischievous twins he was exhausted. He had discovered that those two, and the princes of Mirkwood had all gone out on a nightly adventure of sorts. He still was unsure as to what, but the sense of dread increased as he wandered back to his study. He shivered and wrapped his robes around his frame and hesitated by the large windows before his study. “Valar, protect those five.” He whispered out into the still night air. Turning he reentered his study and proceeded back to his paper work, his thoughts drifting to his wayward children.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List