Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Tables Turned

Elladan raced down the halls towards his brother’s room, skidding to a halt when he reached the door. He pounded on the great oak doors, glancing around him nervously. “Ro! Open up!”

He heard a grumble from inside, a loud thud and a muffled curse. “Ai, Valar!” The door opened to reveal a slightly tousled twin.

Elladan’s hand flew to his mouth to stifle his laughter. “What in Varda’s name happened to you?”

Elrohir’s hair was unbraided and damp, and his clothing was wrinkled. His eyes narrowed dangerously, as he stepped aside allowing his brother to enter. “You might want to ask a small Dark Wood princling.”

“Legolas?” Elladan walked into the room glancing at his brother again raising an eyebrow in baffled question. When he got an affirmed nod, he chuckled. “Pray tell.”

Elrohir raised his own matching eyebrow. “Perhaps I wish to keep what dignity I have remaining intact, Ella.”

“Oh no. You cannot keep me in the dark about this.” Elladan walked over to a small-carved table and pulled out a chair for himself before sitting on the plush blue cushion.

Elrohir shook his head, also walking over to the table, and poured a glass of wine for his brother and himself. Picking one up and handing it to his brother, he sat in a chair sighing loudly. “You laugh at my mishap, and I will dump this glass on your head.” He held up the wine goblet for emphasis narrowing his eyes again at his brother to show his intentions.

Elladan’s lips twitched slightly, but he nodded his head in agreement, while he crossed the fingers of his right hand lying out of his brother’s line of sight. He brought the goblet to his lips and took a sip while his brother glanced at him warily.

Shaking his head again, he began his encounter. “We were walking through the gardens, past the garilium flowers; you know the ones.”

Elladan nodded, taking another sip. Swallowing he said, “The ones near the fountain of Ulmo?”

Elrohir nodded his affirmation. Elrohir started his tale once more, not only drawing his brother through the account verbally, but also mentally.

Legolas smiled at the elder twin who walked beside him. ““Always having someone around who looks like a mirror?”

Elrohir shook his head, shrugging at the question. “Much the same as a brother. Only we share a face.” Elrohir paused. “We share a closeness that is unusual for elven siblings.”

The two young elves talked for a while, sitting themselves under a great willow tree, that sat beside a delicately carved fountain.

“What is this?” Legolas asked, pointing at the fountain and picking up a stick.

“That is a fountain.” Elrohir smirked.

Legolas huffed with impatience. “I know it is a fountain, dimwit, but I have never seen one so beautiful before.”

Elrohir chuckled. “That is the fountain of Ulmo. Gil-Galad had it carved long before even Ella and I were born.”

Legolas turned and looked at Elrohir confused for a moment. “Ella?”

The dark haired elf chuckled again. “They were childhood names we gave each other. I guess before we could pronounce our full names.”

Legolas nodded and put the tip of the stick into the water drawing circle designs. “What did Elladan call you?” He asked while he sat on the edge and gazed into the sparkling blue water. “Even the water is beautiful.” He smiled to himself.

“Perhaps I will allow, Elladan the courtesy of informing you of my childhood name.”

Elrohir frowned. He turned his eyes into the coming darkness. “Did you hear that?”

“What?” Legolas turned bright blue eyes towards the dark haired elf.

Elrohir stood up and faced the way they had come. “I thought-“ He shook his head. “It was nothing.”

“I think we should head back. My father will probably be looking for me.” Legolas stood up and started walking towards the great house of Elrond.

The younger twin nodded and led the way through the thick under brush of his father’s gardens. With a startled yelp, he flew through the air and up into a tree. Hanging upside down he looked up at his foot, which was tied around a rope. Confused and bewildered, he glanced down to the forest floor he had been standing not long ago. Legolas stood there holding his sides, laughing. Elrohir narrowed his eyes, but felt them widen when the other two Mirkwood princes emerged from hiding.

“Good evening, Elrohir- or is it Elladan?” Galen mocked, barely holding in his laughter.

“Ai! What prank is this?” Elrohir groaned.

“Nothing far from the one you pulled on us.” Erysyn hooted gleefully.

“Your prank was successful, now would you kindly get me down from here?”

The three princes glanced at each other, and then back up at the elf stuck in the tree. “We have something better for you, twin son of Elrond.” Galen called up to him.

Elrohir groaned defeated. “Oh? And what would that be?” Before he could utter another word, he plummeted down to the forest floor. Landing with a loud oomph, he tried desperately to get to his feet. But Erysyn was faster, and tackled him before he could gain his footing.

“The next thing I knew, I was head first in the fountain.” Elrohir shook his head. He glared at his twin who despite his word, was roaring with laughter. “You gave me your word!” He accused.

“My apologies, Ro.” Elladan gulped. He lowered his head trying desperately to stifle his chuckles.

“Oh, do not worry, dear brother, I am certain those Dark Wood princes have something cooking up just for you.”

Elladan felt his eyes widen with mock worry. “Oh, come on, Ro! We have pulled pranks since we were babes. We can out smart those three in a heart beat.”

“You forget brother, we are two, and they are three.” Elrohir felt his heart lighten a little.

The elder twin shrugged. “So?”

Elrohir nodded. “You are right, I only wish it had been you first, instead of me.”

Elladan snorted. “You forget brother, that I am older and smarter then you are.”

The younger twin felt his mouth drop in surprise. He got up quickly and tacked his brother who still sat in his chair. Both fell to the ground in a heap and were tangled in a pile of limbs, when the door opened and revealed their father.

Elrond shook his head at the sight of his two sons. “What is the meaning of this?”

Elrohir looked up as best as he could from a headlock given by his older brother. “Nothing father, we were only having a pleasant conversation.”

Elladan grinned from the floor. Trying to wiggle out from under his brother. “Aye, nothing to worry about.” Elladan squirmed desperately as his brother pinned him back onto the floor, tightening the grip he had on his younger brother’s neck. Elrohir coughed and released his hold slightly so he could breath.

Elrond shook his head and turned from the room. “TWINS!”

Both twins burst into renewed laughter that followed Elrond down the hall.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List