Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Four

They stood outside the great doors, whispering softly to each other, while they came up with a great plan to enter the feast. Elladan chuckled at his twin’s suggestion. Both decided that would be the best way.

“You enter first; I will hide and remain here for a time. Then I will come in and hopefully no one will be the wiser at my lateness.” Elrohir smiled broadly.

“You do realize that father will ask me again where you are. I suppose I will tell him the same thing I did at lunch.” Elladan shrugged.

“Ella, it will be perfect. Just do not tell father which one of us you are.” Elrohir smirked. “Confuse him by not seating yourself right away. Then we can switch seats throughout the night.”

“Oh Varda, this will be fun.” Elladan placed his hand over his mouth to stifle his laughter. “Now go hide, before someone comes.” He reached out and pushed his younger brother towards the doors across from the gardens.

Elrohir glared over his shoulder to his brother, but walked through the doors to a small study that scholars used to review their students work. He glanced around him, never before noticing the many books that littered the shelves. Curiously, he walked over to one shelf, and left his hand drift over the tightly bound leather. He pulled one down and opened it wrinkling his nose at the musty smell.

He flipped through the pages glancing at pictures and the cursive script under them. “Hmm, must have been written before my time.”

He closed the book and placed it back onto the shelf pulling another down. He opened the new book and flipped through the pages, but stopped startled and flipped back to the picture that caught his interest. He stood there and stared at the picture in stunned wonder. His eyes wandered over the cursive script under the worn out hand drawn picture.

His lips mouthed the words. “Elrond and Elros Peredhil.” He drew in his breath stunned. He knew his father had a twin brother. He had never before seen a picture of his uncle, and standing there staring at the book; he felt his heart fill with wonder. “Identical.”

Elrohir shook his head and placed the book gently back onto the shelf.

He turned around and started for the door, it was time for him to make his appearance at the feast, before his father sent a search party looking for him.

Taking a deep breath, Elrohir turned the handle of the doors entrance to the gardens. He opened the door and walked through the foliage to the tables set in the clearing. He slowly smiled at the look on his father’s face when he entered, and earned a rewarding smirk from his brother.

Holding himself tall, he bowed his head to his father and mother before taking his brother’s seat at the table. He glanced around the table and nearly laughed out loud at the look on the youngest prince of Mirkwood’s face. His mouth hung open, and his eyes stared at him and Elladan in wonder. Legolas turned to his father and whispered something to him, but Thranduil shook his head.

He glanced briefly at his brother and met identical gray eyes that were filled with mirth. He leaned over and whispered in his ear. “That was great, now the challenge of getting them to guess which is which.”

Elladan nodded, his eyes watching his father’s stare at the two of them. “Careful however, father is watching us like a hawk. You know how he misses nothing.”

Elrohir turned his head and met his father’s, angry eyes. The youngest twin put on a look of innocence. “Father, what is wrong?”

Elrond raised an eyebrow, then leaned over and hissed at the twins. “What game is this?”

The twins glanced at each other, feigning shock. “Game?” The both protested together. “Whatever do you mean father?”

“It was by pure chance that we dressed alike.”

Elrond snorted unelven like. “Aye, and I am a Balrog.”

Elrohir felt his mouth drop open. “I apologize for my tardiness; I got caught up reading a book.” The younger twin paused debating on whether or not to bring up the picture he saw. “I came across an interesting picture father.”

“Is that so, Elrohir?” His father murmured.

Elladan choked on his wine.

Hiding his surprise, he nodded. “It was a picture of you and uncle Elros.”

It was Elrond’s turn to choke. “I beg your pardon?”

Elrohir cursed himself silently, casting a wary glance at Elladan, who stared at him confused. He lowered his head, ashamed for bringing up his father’s brother.

“And where by chance did you find this picture?” Elrond asked quietly. His father’s face had turned ashen.

“In the study across the gardens.” Elrohir whispered, wringing his hands worriedly.

Elrond stared at his youngest son hard.

“Ro, what are you doing?” Elladan whispered frantically in his ear.

“King Thranduil, Queen Lalaith, May I introduce my youngest son, Lord Elrohir. I apologize for his tardiness; he was busy with matters that were not his business.” Elrond announced.

“There goes our plan, fool, and you thought I would botch things up.” Elladan hissed in his twin’s ear.

Elrohir shot him a dirty look. “I was shocked with what I saw. Did you know that father and uncle Elros were identical, such as us?”

Elladan’s eating utensil stopped halfway between his plate and his mouth. “What?”

Elrohir nodded, glancing at his father, whose head was bent over his plate, eating slowly.

Elladan stood up from the table and walked to the wine cart that stood near the banquet-serving table. He picked up the wine decanter and walked around the table pouring fresh glasses for their guests. He had just finished pouring Prince Erysyn’s glass, when a hand stopped him. He glanced down at the middle prince, surprised.

“Did we meet you this morning and at lunch?” The prince asked wrinkling his brow.

“At lunch yes, this morning, no.” He smiled sweetly, and moved onto the next glass.

After he finished pouring their guests wine, he stood off to the side and caught his brother’s eye. He motioned him over and quietly whispered to him. “Why did father not mention anything of uncle Elros to us before?”

“How would you feel, had I chosen a mortal life and left you to live yours immortal?” Elrohir hissed. “Can you be so dense?”

“Do you think they were as close as you and I?” Elladan whispered.

Elrohir looked over his shoulder towards their father. “I do not think so, Ella. Perhaps close, but nothing like you or I?”

Elladan sighed. “I cannot believe you mentioned it now of all times. You know I do not read, so you gave yourself away. Now father is angry, and we have his wrath to deal with later.”

“Do you really think that father would not have eventually guessed who was who? It does not matter. We were not here to fool father, or mother, but to fool those Dark Wood princes. I think it succeeded.”

Elladan nodded smiling to his brother. “Oh, I believe it did, brother. The crown prince already asked who he had met.”

Elrohir returned his brother’s smile, and cast a glance over his shoulder at the princes of Mirkwood. “Yes, you are right. Even now they do not know who is who. Perhaps the game is still on?” The younger twin turned his gray eyes to his brother’s in question.

Elladan shrugged. “Why not, we are already in father’s bad books.” Elrohir snorted at his brother’s implication.

“Books indeed. I will show you this book later.” Without another word they turned and walked back to the table, this time seating themselves in their rightful chairs.

Elrohir picked up his wine glass and drained it in one gulp, and sat back against the plush fabric of the chair. His eyes caught those of Prince Galen’s and he found his eyes locked in a battle stare of wits. Startled, he lowered his gaze, and looked at Elladan who was whispering to his father. Now filled with curiosity, he allowed his gaze to be met once again with those dark blue eyes of the crown prince.

What he found in that gaze was one of anger, and hatred. Elrohir shivered, and sat up straight in his chair. He was not accustomed to seeing hate in the eyes of elves. Especially from one elf to another. Warily, he broke eye contact with the prince, and instead glanced at the youngest prince of Mirkwood. He was busy giggling and conversing with the middle prince, both who seemed to be having a good time. Elrohir frowned, and leaned over to whisper in his twin’s ear.

“Catch the look the Crown Prince shot us?”

Elladan turned his head slightly, and let his eyes casually wander over to the royal family. “That is strange.” His brother whispered back.

“I do not think he likes us too much.” Elrohir snickered behind his hand.

Elladan shrugged and responded back. “Like that matters? We are accustomed to stares and looks of jealousy.”

“I do not think it is one of jealousy, Ella. But one of hatred.”

Elladan looked at his brother surprised, raising an eyebrow.

Elrohir snorted unelven like. “You should see yourself. You hold the same look father makes.”

“Oh, and you do not?” Elladan snapped louder then he intended.

A stunned silence filled the garden, even their father paused his discussions with his aide to glance at his eldest in shock.

Taken aback, Elrohir sat back in his chair frowning at his brother.

“What is wrong with you two tonight?” Elrond hissed.

Elrohir lowered his head, allowing his brother to explain his out burst.

“Nothing father. All is well.” Elladan whispered. “My apologies.” He said glaring at his twin.

Taking a deep breath, Elrohir stood and turned to his father. “With your permission father, might I be excused?”

Elrond narrowed his eyes at the twins, but nodded. “I would like to see you both in my chambers tomorrow morning.”

Elrohir nodded then bowed and exited the gardens to wander the halls alone.

The youngest twin did not know how long he wandered those halls, but lost in his thoughts he did not notice Prince Legolas walking towards him until they almost bumped into each other.

“Hello.” The young prince said happily. “I was sure I was the only one wandering around. I am glad to meet someone to talk to.”

Elrohir raised his eyebrow. “You still wish to talk with me after earlier?”

“Why not?” Legolas shrugged. “I have never before met twins. I was only surprised.”

Elrohir nodded.

“What is it like?” The blonde Prince asked.

“What is what like?”

“Always having someone around who looks like a mirror?”

Elrohir shrugged. “Much the same as a brother. Only we share a face.” Elrohir paused. “We share a closeness that is unusual for elven siblings.”

Legolas smiled broadly. The two walked through the halls chatting softly to each other long into the night, neither of them aware of the presence that followed them.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List