Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flowers in His Hair  by LKK

"Hush!"

"Don't hiss at me."

"I did not hiss; I whispered. Stop giggling."

"I'm trying. It's just ..."

"What?"

"Your father has flowers in his hair."

"Yes?"

"He has *flowers* in his *hair*. Don't you think that's a little --"

"What?"

"... Feminine?"

"The king always wears flowers at the spring feast to honor our union with nature. Now be quiet and listen!"

"Sorry."

"Is something wrong, you two?"

"Nay, it was an excellent speech."

"I do not know how you could judge its quality since you were whispering while I was speaking."

"Forgive us. ... We ... were ... "

"... Discussing how the feast’s celebrated differently here than at home."

"Oh? And what do the Noldor do differently?"

"Uh ..."

"Yes, do tell him what you told me, my friend."

"We don’t ... I mean, they don't ... uh ... wear ... flowers ... in their hair. But I think the tradition's commendable. I'll be sure to mention it when I get home."

"I am quite certain your foster father knows about the tradition even if he does not follow it. However, that explains why you are not wearing *your* flowered circlet. Why did you not warn him, my son?"

"Warn me?"

"About the Presentation Ceremony."

"Presentation --"

"Ceremony. Later this evening, all guests of the royal family will be formally presented. In honor of spring's return, the guests are expected to wear flowered circlets."

"They are?"

"Yes. It is a serious breach of etiquette not to wear one. However, since I now know that you were not aware of this tradition, I will not be offended. Of course, others may not be so understanding."

"Oh. ... How much time is there before --"

"A few hours."

"If you would excuse me?"

"Certainly. Might I suggest orange flowers? They will compliment your eyes."

"Uh ... thank you, my lord. Excuse me, I'll return soon."

"By his gait, I would say your friend is most distressed."

"I cannot believe you tricked him! There is no 'Presentation Ceremony'."

"This year, there will be."

"He will be the only one wearing a flowered circlet. He will be very embarrassed."

"Yes, he will be. ... And very 'feminine'."

"You heard?"

"Certainly. I am not a Man, so old that I have lost my sense of hearing."

"Or your sense of revenge?"

"Certainly."





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List