Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From the noteboook  by Anso the Hobbit

Title: A cooking conspiracy
Author: Anso the Hobbit
Characters: Bilbo, Frodo, Merry, Esmeralda and Saradoc
Timeline: Bag End. SR 1389 so Frodo is 21 and Merry is 7
Note: Not betaed. Also written for the 20_rings challenge

In Frodo`s opinion, Bilbo was one of the best cooks in the Shire and he loved the cooking lessons his dear old cousin gave. Bread and scones, pies and cakes all seemed to flow like magic from Bilbo`s hands and he made the most delicious stews and soups and could stew and bake and cook mushrooms in the most mouthwatering of ways.

Now Frodo poured over one of Bilbo`s famous recipes and was honoured to be put in charge of making luncheon. They were awaiting guests and Frodo was to prepare a feast. Soon his Buckland cousins Esmeralda and Saradoc would arrive with little Merry, and Merry was to stay a whole month by himself. It was Merry`s first visit since Frodo had come to live with Bilbo and Frodo wanted to make it special.

An hour later the bread was baking in the oven, strawberry and blackberry tarts were cooling and the mushroom-and-beef stew was simmering on the stove. Tea was brewing and ale and cold milk was set out on the nicely laid table.

“This is wonderful Frodo!” Bilbo said, and Frodo beamed. “I`m impressed.” Frodo had done his best and was happy that it was to Bilbo`s satisfaction. Just then they heard pony hoofs on the road and a moment later the cart stopped and Frodo and Bilbo went out to meet their guests.

Frodo had barely opened the door before Merry launched himself at him, shouting “Frodo! Frodo!” Frodo laughed and lifted his little cousin up hugging him tight.

“Hullo Merry. Did you have a nice trip?”

“Yes!” The little face beamed with happiness and Merry launched into a tale of what they had seen along the road. “But I missed you so much!” Merry finished and buried his head in Frodo`s shoulder, taking in the scent and feeling of his beloved cousin.

“I missed my Merry-lad too.” Frodo said. “But we`re together now and let`s have a splendid visit!” He set Merry down and greeted Merry`s parents with a tight hug for each of them. He had missed them too.

Esmie looked Frodo up and down for a moment then smiled brightly. Bilbo was taking good care of him and she was very pleased to see the smile reaching all the way to his eyes and his rosy cheeks.

“Come along everyone.” Bilbo said after greeting Saradoc and Esmie and giving Merry a hug. “I think Frodo has a surprise for you.”

“I have?” Frodo said, then laughed as he remembered that he had cooked luncheon for them all by himself.

“What is it?” Merry demanded, squirming down from Bilbo`s arms.

“You will see in a minute.”

“Frodo has made us luncheon all by himself!” Bilbo said as they entered the kitchen and saw the nicely laid table and the food waiting for them.

“This is delicious Frodo!” Esmeralda said, savouring a bite of the mushroom-and-beef stew. “You`ve taught him well, Bilbo.”

“You made all this?” Merry asked, mouth open in awe.

“Yes,” Frodo couldn`t help but laugh as his little cousin looked at all the food.

“He`s been a very good student.” Bilbo said happily, giving Frodo a pat on the shoulder.

When stew and bread and tarts all were eaten and praised Bilbo shooed the lads out saying that Frodo shouldn`t do the washing up since he`d done all the cooking and Frodo and Merry went out into the garden and the lovely summer day. At first they lay down on the grass, too full from the lunch to do much, but soon Merry was running around and chasing butterflies, chatting away while Frodo lounged in the grass watching him.

“What are these?” Merry said, peering down on a patch of greens sticking up of the ground. It was the Gaffer`s vegetable garden.

“That is carrots.” Frodo said.

“And that?” Merry pointed to another patch of green turfs sticking up from the ground.

“Potatoes?” Frodo answered.

“And what are those? Can we eat them, Frodo?” Merry was all excitement and questions, running around the vegetable garden.

“I think you`ll make a great cook, Merry,” Frodo said when he was dizzy of answering question after question.

“Will you teach me?”

“Of course.”

Merry beamed and launched himself at Frodo. “You’re the bestest!”

“You`re not so bad yourself” Frodo laughed, hugging Merry tight. “Come on. Let`s see if we can find something to make.”

END





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List