Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mithrim  by perelleth

I just found out that I had not posted the last two chapters of this....so here they are. The events in Mithrim drabbled by Idril and Huan, from the arrival of both hosts in M-e (Chapters 1&2) to the rescue of Maedhros from Thangorodrim (Chapter 3) to the Reunion (4 &5) 

Once at it, I went back and polished the preceding ones a bit, brushing off all Quenya, mainly.

REUNION: LOST KIN

Idril watches as her Fëanorian relatives make their way towards them, and wonders what lies beneath their stern and proud demeanours. Idril’s POV.

I. Fear and Sorrow. (Maedhros and  Maglor)  

They came with little fanfare: the Fëanorians, two guards, a standard-bearer, a great hound. They wore black, the colour of doom. "We mourn in white,"  Atar told me once. "To remember the Ice."  

I knew Maedhros well, Uncle’s best friend; tall, courteous, strong. He seemed now a candle that’s been burning for too long; an empty shell with vacant eyes, someone who has known fear by name and is trying to forget. 

Maglor walked by his side, as if fuelling life into him. The joyful singer who had given me my first harp seemed now a stricken creature, bowed by grief. 

II. Pride and hound. (Celegorm and Huan)  

The one behind them resembled one of those proud horses that know too well they’re being admired. They are graceful but stubborn, lively but skittish, self-willed and deceitful. They flaunt their long manes and will try to dismount you at the slightest provocation. They need masterful riders who hold them short and tight and show them the way with tender but firm hand.  

The hound walked proudly by his side, his yellow eyes searching our faces, his tail coming alive at the sight of Aredhel. Uncle was not the only one who had friends in the other camp, I thought.  

III. Darkness. (Curufin, Celebrimbor, Caranthir, Amrod an Amras)  

They followed, side by side. Dark and red heads, pale faces, haunted looks. They reminded me of some of our children: motherless, stunned, groping blindly in search of what they once had, wondering how and why their world was suddenly shattered into pieces, dealing blows to those offering help… The Ice has done that to most of us. Comfort was taken as often as given, among us.

But these Fëanorians… Grief and despair we have all endured, yet I wondered which of their grim deeds had summoned that unfathomable darkness, that hopeless sorrow to their eyes. I pitied them, then.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List