Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mithrim  by perelleth

HOMECOMING.

Fingon brings Maedhros back from Thangorodrim. Two drabbles, Huan and Idril’s POV.

Homecoming, South Mithrim.  (Huan’s pov)

Tell Fëanáro that I’ve brought his son home”.

Fingon was delirious. Or was he? I could almost feel the mighty smith’s feä lingering there, among his stunned children.

The feud, and its healer. The fool, and a greater one.

A heap of bloody limbs and broken feä, Maedhros was a ghost of former beauty. 

But he was alive, and Maglor would see that he remained so, calling out for the healers in his mighty voice. As the cousins lay there, exhausted, one holding, one being held, I thought their friendship was proof that even Mandos could be defied and defeated.

Homecoming, North Mithrim. (Idril’s pov)

“A Vala, indeed.”  

Was there pain, hurt, love, hate, anger, jealousy, grudge, affection, compassion, pride? Those days, my Atar was a riddle to me.

Uncle was a mess. Nobody knew for sure, but everybody suspected. The foul vapours that had disturbed us by the lakeside must have been thicker up there in the mountains; he had trouble speaking and even breathing.

He didn’t expect us to understand or to forgive. A pained look in his eyes was the only explanation he’d offer. “I’m sorry Atar, but I did what needed to be done,” it said.

I learnt that lesson well.

A/N : Many years later, after Turgon refused Ulmo's advice sent through Tuor, and following her own counsel, Idril had an escape tunnel built in secret in Gondolin, thus "doing what needed to be done," even against her father's will.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List