Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Collection of Drabbles   by Periantari

To love you was to heal you of the hurts that this war has caused. Our bond had solidified in the beginning when you told me you lost your mother. I had a similar background of hurts that went deep from childhood. We knew what grief meant and no words can adequately soothe and mend what hollowness lies within when a loved one is taken from the world.

You frequently talk in your nightmares, awaken at night, and I try to use words to calm you. To use gentle herbs to aid in the remaining pain in your shoulder, to keep you present when you feel guilt about your father.

To heal you was to love and care for what the war had taken away from both of us. But better days were ahead and we had to deal with recovery and gradual attainment of happiness together. Our love was deep but not always easy and life would be better to face the obstacles of moving on together. I no longer wanted to be a Shield-maiden; firstly, my main desire was to heal you, to keep you whole, free from guilt and grief, and mine to soothe and stand by. 


Author's note: When I first read "Steward and the King", I was wary of love happening that quickly and upon rereading LotR, i find myself drawn to Eowyn and Faramir's falling in love. It was fast but Tolkien did write in one of his letters that courtly love allowed for "falling in love" quicker. Not like modern times when you have more to choose and it's not duty that calls us to wed. And also, Faramir and Eowyn have a lot in common so upon rereading, i find it justified that they're together. :) 






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List