Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Good Enough  by The Karenator

                                                      Chapter Twelve: Aldamir

A warm bath was all I wanted. Inhaling deeply the fragrance of cedar and berries, I slid into the tub and let the water close over me like a welcome cloak. Immediately, I felt myself loosen; every muscle in my body sighed with relief.

When the troops arrived back at the stronghold mid-afternoon, I was satisfied by the overall campaign. Not one Elf had taken injury, and I was pleased to say that the spiders had taken a grievous blow to uproot them from their web-infested hold on the western woods. The trees themselves seemed to stand taller and sing of joy. Warriors and villagers alike rejoiced and on this night, the main stronghold village would celebrate our victory in a feast before the visiting delegations took their leave on the following morning.

As happy as I was to see the western woods safe for the two villages that were accosted by the spiders, I could not help but worry this reprieve was only temporary. The shadow did not give up easily, and I feared it would only be a matter of time until spiders and orcs alike pressed once again against our defenses. Had it not been for the malevolent red-banded spiders turning on their kin, then I do not think we would have been so successful.

However, as one foe had been vanquished, another would have to be faced come that evening. There was nothing I wanted to do less than to place an insincere smile on my face and attend this feast.  Perhaps Seregon had been right, and Calith bore watching, but I doubted there would be much I would find out in one evening. And to what avail? Elenna had made her choice.

A soft knock came on my bathing chamber door and the door creaked open. Seregon smiled down at me. “I have retuned your fillet knife,” he said. “I will miss it, but there is always next year.” He came into the chamber and seated himself on a stool near the tub.

“Thank you,” I said, watching him with something of an incredulous look on my face, I am sure. “Is there anything further? I seem to be indisposed at this moment.”

“I have seen you bathe before. Carry on,” he said, swatting his hand through the air to dismiss my concerns.

Apparently there was more on his mind and knowing him as well as I do, I knew he would not leave until he had said what he had to say. I ducked under the water and resurfaced and began to scrub my head and hair with soft soap. “Then what is it that brings you here?” I asked. “Besides the fillet knife. The real reason you are perched on a stool while I bathe?”

“I suppose I am looking for some reassurance that this feast will not be too much of a trial for you,” he said sympathetically.

Sliding back under the water to rinse the soap from my hair, I took the moment to think about how to respond. My required presence was not something I could change and indeed, I had led the troops and it was only fitting that I attend. Combine that with the fact that I am the son of the king and queen, and I truly had little choice in the matter. Still, I did not want to spend an evening trying to not look at Elenna and her betrothed. I was far too tired to be cordial, and I would have to conduct myself appropriately no matter how I felt.

I ran my hands through my hair and squeezed the water from it as best I could while the ends still dangled in the bath. “I wish I could tell you that this duty will be nothing, but I will manage,” I said with resignation.

“Have you thought about talking to her?” Seregon asked. Obviously he still held the opinion that there was something wrong in the relationship of Elenna and Calith, and I could see the hope in his eyes that I would uncover it and take action. I know Seregon wished for me to be content in my personal life, but I also wondered how much revenge played into his desire to see Calith set into his place. I admit this was an enticing idea, but as far as I could see, any decisions about their relationship would have to be made by them. I could do nothing.

I shook my head as I lathered my chest. “I do not think talking to her will aid either of us. I would not cause her embarrassment or hurt her intentionally.”

“And what of the hurt she has caused you?” he asked.

“I am fine,” I said, knowing that I fooled him no more than I fooled myself. “Still to retaliate against her would not improve the situation or make me feel any better.”

Seregon propped his elbows on his knees while keeping a steady gaze fixed on me. “I am not suggesting that you retaliate, Aldamir, I am suggesting that you give her a chance to explain herself.”

I shook my head. “I do not think it wise to engage in such conversation at a public event. Perhaps if she has something to say to me, she will do so, but I will not seek her out.”

He sat back up and slumped with defeat. “Do not let her go without at least trying to find out what happened that she would willingly deceive you. Her doing so seems completely at odds with how she was with you before Calith came.”

“I do not know if that is true or not,” I said. “I was merely mistaken about she felt.”

He shook his head vigorously. “You were not mistaken,” he said. “Look at it this way, whatever you find out will at least answer your questions about why she kept this betrothal from you. You will be more at ease in putting this behind if she truly wishes to be with Calith. But if she does not...”

“I see no evidence that she wants to be with me,” I told him.

“Perhaps,” he said, “but you will not know until you make some move to find out.”

Before anything further could be said, another knock sounded on my bathing chamber door. “Come,” I called.

Erelas burst through the door wearing a big grin; he had already bathed and dressed in a light tunic and leggings.  “You are still in the bath?” he said. “There is a feast waiting to honor you!”

I smiled, feeling genuinely happy to see my younger brother home and looking so fit. For years I had been leaving him to do his job in some of the most dangerous regions of the forest, but I never ceased to feel relief when he returned home safe and sound. “Welcome home, brother,” I laughed. “I will greet you properly when I am not wet.”

“I have little to report,” he said still smiling, “and I do not think I have ever reported to my commander while he is bathing, but I shall make an exception in this instance so that said commander can complete his bath, and we can join in the celebration that is about to commence.”

“And that report would be?” I asked.

“We saw no more spiders as we traveled back by the northeastern route. At Bear Rock we found heavy webbing and nests, but no spiders. The song of the trees was light and content; I felt no weight of shadow upon them,” he said.

“Everyone in your patrol is well then?” I asked.

“And happy to be home,” he said.

At that moment, I heard more stirring behind Erelas in my chambers. Legolas and Daeron appeared in the doorway.

“You are still bathing?” Legolas yelped. “What are you doing?”

“Entertaining,” I said dryly, “Do come on in and join.”

“Certainly,” Daeron intoned as he entered and took a seat next to Seregon on the low bench against the wall. “Will there be wine served?”

I groaned. “What brings you two to disrupt my bath…other than it seems to be a family tradition?”

“Naneth said that we do not have to wear formal robes tonight,” Legolas told me with a look of absolute pleasure on his face. “I came to tell you.”

“Important news indeed,” I laughed.

“And I also bear a message from our king and queen,” Erelas said. “Adar said to tell you to come to his and Naneth’s sitting room before we gather with the family to go to the feast.” He threw his arm around Legolas’s shoulders and snatched him quickly to his side. Legolas feigned a look of irritation, but it was obvious that he was pleased to have our brother home. “You are summoned also, little brother,” Erelas said. “Daeron, too.” His brows shot up. “What sort of trouble have you all been in that you warrant a private audience with the king and queen?”

Legolas and Daeron exchanged knowing looks. “I am afraid I am in the dark on this one,” I said. “But I am certain I will find out soon enough.” I stood in the tub. “Everyone out!” I commanded with a watery wave of my hand. “This gathering of the kindred is over; I have to get dressed.”

I found Legolas and Daeron loitering about the corridor when I approached Naneth and Adar’s chambers. I thought they were suspiciously alert and nervous in how they were pacing back and forth. If I had not been concerned that something was truly amiss, then I would have been amused by seeing them, at their age, behaving with the same jumpy anticipation I had seen from them many times before when they were younger and had been summoned to Adar and Naneth for some wild misadventure.

“We are waiting for you,” Legolas said.

I observed him for some clue about this meeting and then said, “Is there anything you wish to tell me before I meet with the king and queen?”

Legolas shook his head with wide-eyed innocence. “No,” he said simply. Daeron was unusually silent and that generally was evidence of something being afoot.

“Very well,” I said as I knocked on the door.

“Come!” Adar called.

I entered with the two young ones on my heels. Naneth and Adar were seated in the chairs before the fireplace. Three more chairs had been moved to form an intimate circle. We made our bow and I said, “You wish to see us, Adar?”

“Yes,” he said as he motioned to the chairs. “Please sit down.”

I took a seat between Legolas and Daeron for no better reason than splitting them up seemed prudent.

Naneth glanced at Adar and he said, “Aldamir, you know that your naneth and I have tried to respect your personal life since you have become an adult. And we have not been remiss in doing so; you have proven yourself to be steadfast in your duty and in your private affairs.” My heart beat sped up as I got the first hint of where this conversation was headed. My spine stiffened; I did not want to delve into this matter. I wanted to leave the topic of Elenna. Everywhere I turned, she seemed to come up. I could not imagine what would prompt my parents to enter into the fray. Now that we all knew what Sordien and Elenna were hiding, there was little left to discuss.

Adar straightened his tunic as he paused only long enough to watch my reaction. I am transparent to my mother, and I have always suspected that my father is nearly as astute as she, though through different means of discernment.  “Information has come to me that we feel you should know,” he said. “What you make of this information is up to you. I am concerned because it cast a shadow upon the throne. Many of the villagers rarely come to the stronghold or are in our presence. We see most of them only one or twice a year. I do not take their good will for granted.”

“I understand that, Adar,” I said cautiously. I did not know what he had heard, but my mind raced to a night when I had taken more intimate liberties with a maiden than I ever had before. I could only hope that we had not been observed. The thought embarrassed me deeply as the feelings of betrayal and self recrimination floated swiftly forward again. I found comfort in the fact that Legolas and Daeron were present. My parents would not discuss such intimacies in their presence.

Adar nodded. “Several nights ago, Calith and Elenna were overheard in conversation. Some interesting insights were gathered,” he said. As he went on to tell me what had been overheard, I felt my face suddenly heat. My fists clinched and my heart pounded in my head with a steady beat that I wanted only to turn upon this lying Elf who had turned Elenna against me. Waves of fresh anger coursed through me until I did not think I would be able to remain seated. Only the look upon my mother’s face kept me from reacting with a violence that sprang from such a dark place within me that I did not seem to recognize myself, the person I had thought myself to be. I was not calm or rational at that moment. But Naneth was upset. I sucked in a deep breath and tried to calm my fury, but found that I was nearly strangled by its might. Still I held tight to what self-control I could muster to remain seated and not charge immediately out in search of Calith.

Suddenly Legolas’s attendance to this meeting became clear. “It was you who heard this?” I said, my anger boiling over into my words.

He nodded, white-faced and looking unsure if my anger was also directed at him.

“You are certain of what you heard?” I asked.

“Yes,” he said. “Daeron heard the conversation too.”

No longer able to stay my need to move, I jumped from the chair and paced across to a table in the center of the room before I swung sharply back to them. I could find no words to express what I was feeling, but I do not think speaking was necessary; I was enraged, and I was certain no one was wondering what my feelings were about this news.

“I cannot allow such lies to be spread among the villagers,” Adar said, calmly, as an influence to me, I am sure. “I would not have them think that any member of this family would abuse the trust they have placed in us. For me to rule effectively, I must always consider how we are perceived by my subjects. They may not always agree with me, but they must feel confident that I and my family take our position seriously and with all due respect.”

“What have you done about this?” I demanded.

“I have gathered reports as to what sort of Elf Calith is and how he is perceived by others. I had to know if he is found credible among his fellow villagers,” Adar said. “I had to know what sort of damage he may be able to cause by his talk.”

“And what did you find out?” I asked, steadying myself as my blood pumped as furiously as if I were preparing for battle. Which, indeed, I was. With my teeth gritted and every muscle in my body on alert, I vowed that Calith would regret the day he was born.

“The reports I have received,” Adar said, “do not speak highly of him. He is well known among his people as being pompous and ill suited for much more than pursuing Elenna.”

“And she has been receptive?” I asked.

“A friend is all I have been told,” Adar said.

“Then why is she betrothed to him?” I snapped.

“I cannot answer that,” Adar said. “I do not know. Indeed, no one seems to know how this betrothal came about.”

I threw my hands up into the air. “We certainly know how he has managed to preserve it,” I said. “Have you taken any action to quell his lies?” I asked, hoping that I would be granted that privilege.

“No,” Adar said. “I wished to speak to you first.”

Before Adar could go on, I said, “Then I request your permission to handle this myself.”

Adar sighed and looked down for a moment. When his gaze came back to me, he said. “I would ask that you allow yourself some time to think this through before you react.”

“The villagers are leaving in the morning, are they not?” I said. “I do not have much time to sort this out.”

Naneth rose and came to me. She placed her hands on my face and drew me to give her my attention. “Listen to me, child,” she said. “Time is not your problem. But you must tread carefully or you may create a situation that is no better than the one you find yourself in now.”

“How can it get much worse?” I asked.

She smiled softly. “Things can always get worse,” she said. “We are only asking that you think before you act. I know you are angry, and you have right to be, but do not let anger take away your ability to deal with this fruitfully.” She released me and stepped back. “Do not forget that you will be judged by how you deal with this. If Calith can cast aspersions upon you and the throne, you can seal them by responding inappropriately.”

My head ached. I dug my finger into my temple. “I do not know what to do,” I said then smiled grimly. “I know what I want to do, but like you say, this would not serve me or the crown well.”

“No,” she said. “Unchecked anger would not be prudent. Reflect upon what you truly wish to see done about Calith’s lies, and then choose a course of action.”

“Then I have your leave to deal with this myself?” I asked.

Adar came to where Naneth and I were standing. “At this point, I grant you permission to deal with this. I cannot say that I will not at some point speak to Calith about how his lies cast an unsavory light upon the throne and about my displeasure with his actions,” he said. “But I would not have my action appear as if I am angry only because you are my son. That fact is important and I do not deny it, but I feel justified only in dealing with him about how his lies affect the crown. I do not wish to interfere in the personal aspects of this where you are concerned.”

“It is a fine line,” I said.

“Indeed, it is,” Adar said. “But I can see this line, and I trust that others will as well.”

“Is there any indication that he has been repeating these lies to others?” I asked.

“I have no proof of that,” Adar said. “But it is something I wish to avoid if possible. If,” he said, “I speak to him, I would prefer that it remain private. I do not want to bring attention to him.”

I turned to Legolas and Daeron. “Did you get any indication that Calith has spoken of this to anyone other than Elenna?” I asked.

“He did not mention speaking to anyone else,” Legolas said. Daeron shook his head.

“Then I can only hope that I can deal with this without causing more talk,” I said. I turned back to my parents. “I will take care of this,” I said with resolve.

Adar gave my shoulder a quick squeeze. “The time grows late. Let us go to the feast and enjoy the fine food and drink that has been prepared. We still have much to be grateful for. The people of this realm will not forget that you have led our troops well.” But, I reminded myself, people do quickly forget what good you have done if there is something more interesting to draw their focus.

On the landing of the steps before the Great Doors, I stood at Adar’s side as he welcomed everyone and asked for blessings upon us and our land. My mind was far from his words as I scanned the crowd looking for my prey. I found him quickly enough, standing with Elenna and Sordien near the back of the gathered Elves. I felt calm enough and in control as I let my gaze settle on him. The anger had not dissipated, but I owned it by that point. Naneth was right; I had to deal with this carefully. Not only could I not risk gossip, but I could not risk alienating Elenna.

My gaze drifted to her. The breeze caught the loose strands of her hair that framed her face and tossed them gently. I tried to read her expression, but found that I could not. She appeared placid enough, but she did not fully look up to where my family stood gathered. Her hands were clasped in front of her and as I looked closer, I could that her knuckles were white and as her fingers clinched tightly together. This pleased me; she was not happy.

I followed the king and queen down to the Green where tables had been decorated with vines and summer flowers, and set with trays and dishes of food. I took my place to Adar’s left and sat after he and Naneth were seated. Erelas settled down next to me as the other members of my family strung out down the table according to protocol. Servants began to scurry to deliver plates piled high with golden roasted fowl and creamy vegetables. Laughter drifted up to us as Elves began to serve themselves from long tables laden with food and then part into groups of family and friends to enjoy their meal.

For a while I simply ate, watching the crowd and keeping my eagle-eye on Calith. He glanced up to me once or twice, but looked away quickly. He would have to have been a complete fool to not see the fire simmering behind my purposely benign expression. I still did not know how I would approach this problem, but I thought it wise to simply observe until I found my course.

Erelas poured more wine into his cup and took a sip. “You are awfully quiet, Commander,” he said. “You look as if you are scouting the enemy.”

My head snapped around to him as I wondered what he knew about the debacle of my personal life. “I am merely watching,” I said.

“Anyone in particular?” he asked.

“Why do you ask?” I said.

He put his cup down and took up his knife. “The look on your face,” he said. “You forget that I have had many years to learn your moods. I would say this one is dark.”

Realizing that he was correct and that I was straight backed and tense, I willed myself to relax. “I am fine,” I said softly.

“What troubles you, brother?” he asked kindly.

“Nothing I cannot handle,” I replied, taking up my own cup of wine and taking a long drink. “But I do not want to dwell on the problems of the day,” I said. “I would rather know if you are going to ask the lovely maiden, Lalwen, to dance?” I forced a smile and then relaxed the grin to something I hoped was less feral.

“Lalwen?” he mused, then a slow grin crept across his face. “What a pleasant idea. I wish I had thought of that.”

“You do not fool me, little brother,” I said, ripping a chunk of bread from the platter in front of me. “I have also had years to study your moods and fits.” I casually lathed honey onto my bread. “I would say that you have thought of nothing else for days.”

He smiled as a faint blush crept up around his neck and settled on his cheeks. “She has crossed my mind,” he said.

I motioned out across the Green to where Lalwen was seated with a group of maidens. A young warrior I knew from the home guard stopped and spoke. “Then if I were you,” I said slowly, “I would not waste my time worrying about your dull older brother when you need to move quickly to capture the lovely maiden’s attention.”

Erelas watched in silence and I felt him stiffen slightly at the sight of Lalwen laughing at whatever the young warrior had said. “You are right,” he said. “I do not have time to worry about you, or I will be dancing with Naneth all night.”

“That will be my pleasure, iôn-nín,” Adar said from my right. “You will have to find your own elleth.”

Erelas laughed. “See, I will not even have my own naneth’s attention,” he said. “I will have to move swiftly if I am not to be a knot on a log for the entire evening.”

I smiled and felt a little of the tension leave me. I would not be thwarted from what I wanted either.

At the end of the meal, Adar motioned to the minstrels to begin to play. Elves scurried to remove the outermost tables to provide room for dancing. Children ran barefoot to the dance circle and claimed their spots to watch and join in the dance as they would. A circle began to form in wait for the king and queen to open the night of singing and dancing.

Adar stood and extended his hand to Naneth. The rest of the table came to our feet with him. “My lady,” he said, “I would be honored if you would grant me this dance.”

I heard Legolas laugh and felt the jostle of Erelas’s shoulder as Legolas’s elbow flew into his side. “You can try that line to see if you can get an elleth to dance with you.”

“I will wait and see if it works for you,” Erelas chuckled as we waited for Adar to lead Naneth to the circle.

As courtesy dictated, everyone waited for a few minutes and watched my parents dance and then as if a dam had given way, people began to join them in pairs. “I am off,” Erelas said. “I have a claim to declare.”

Legolas and Daeron flew off to join their friends, and Seregon took his mother’s hand and led her to the circle. Alone, I wandered among the crowd, speaking to warriors and their families and other Elves I knew.

A hand gripped my shoulder tightly from behind and I whirled to find Tabor holding his young daughter, a mop-headed little tyke of no more than ten years. I could not repress the smile that sprang to my lips at seeing her flushed and happy face. “I see you have captured a young maiden’s heart,” I said to my guard.

Tabor grinned infectiously. “Indeed, the loveliest elfling in all of the Great Woods,” he said as she snuggled in closer to her father.

“You are fortunate indeed,” I said.

“My lord,” he smiled. “I have come on a mission. This fair lady wishes to claim this dance with you, but she feared she is too short to gain your attention. I kindly offered my services.”

A burst of laughter escaped me. I bowed to Amariel and said, “I would be honored, lovely one, to dance with you.”  Shyly, she reached out her arms to me, and I gathered her to my chest as tiny legs wound about my waist. “Come then,” I said with great fanfare. “Let us join this most glorious dance.” I looked back over my shoulder to Tabor. “Do not worry Ada, I will have her back before too late.”

Tabor laughed and left to take this opportunity to dance with his wife.

Amariel giggled delightfully as I whirled her around the circle. Her little arms clung to my neck and ever so often, she would be so overcome with a fit of giggles that she would nuzzle into my neck and then, fling her head backwards to let the wind tousle her hair. My heart lightened considerably at her innocent enthusiasm.

I came upon Adar and Naneth. Naneth laughed. “Who is this young beauty who has captured my son?” she asked, though I knew Naneth recognized the child of my guard.

I slowed and turned Amariel around to the queen. Her small body bobbed in a make-do curtsy in my arms. “I am Amariel, Queen My Lady,” she said, the first words I had heard her speak in my presence that night. And I laughed outright at my naneth’s new title.

Adar smiled. “You have indeed won the heart of a fair maiden, iôn-nín,” he said. “But if I may be so bold, I would wish to dance with this beautiful one.”

I raised my eyebrows in question and said, “Would you like to dance with the king, Amariel?” Curls bobbed up and down. As I handed her over, I told Adar, “I have promised her Ada that I would not keep her long. I fear I will have to reclaim her soon.”

“She is safe with me,” Adar smiled. “I trust you will see to Queen My Lady.”

I bowed to Naneth. “I would be honored.”

Naneth said little while we danced, but I felt her warmth and love spread through me. And indeed, her calm strength soothed the places where I had burned hot with anger earlier. I smiled down at her and began to feel confident that I would find peace one way or another.

When the dance ended, I reclaimed Amariel from Adar. Naneth brushed a stray curl from Amariel’s forehead and tucked it unsuccessfully into the braid at the back of her head. “She is adorable,” Naneth said smiling. “I have always wanted an elleth,” she said, wistfully.

Adar took her hand and guided her back toward the new dance. “Do not get any ideas, Lalaith,” he said. “We would only end up with another boisterous ellon.”

“You do not know that,” I heard her say as Adar swept her into his arms and joined in the dance.

I returned Amariel to Tabor and his wife, and as I handed her over, I felt more reluctance than I would ever thought possible. She was a safe partner for me. While dancing with her, I did not feel pressured to ask anyone else to dance, and I had truly enjoyed her charming blushes and giggles. “Thank you Mistress Amariel,” I said with a bow. “I appreciate the dance.”

Amariel laughed happily while twirling her adar’s braid about her hand.

“She is a delightful child,” I told Tabor. “You have much to be proud of.”

“Thank you, my lord,” Tabor said as he planted a loud kiss on Amariel’s cheek. She put her chubby hand on her cheek and laughed, laying her head on her adar’s shoulder. “She has been the most wonderful blessing of my life,” Tabor said. “I do not know why I waited so long before begetting this one.”

I knew: The life of warrior is uncertain and full of risk. When Tabor and his wife finally did beget this child, he remained at the main village for the year of his wife’s confinement and for the following two years after Amariel’s birth. Seregon and I had to plan our need for a guard so that we were not away from the stronghold at the same time. Lathien was required to guard us both. As I often did with new adars, I posted Tabor to the least dangerous local duty I could find. He was pleased to be home everyday, but he was not pleased at all with the duty. As soon as Amariel was old enough, he requested his post as my guard to be reinstated and for his routine posting in the home guard while I was not in need of his services to rotate through the home guard territory as before.

I smiled at my guard and his daughter. “She was well worth the wait,” I said envying his contentment and joy.

Across the Green I sighted Elenna and Calith. I excused myself from Tabor and Amariel and went to the fringes of the circle and leaned against a tree. Elenna and Calith were not dancing, and I realized I had not seen them join in the dance at all that evening. As I watched them, suddenly, I knew what I had to do. I needed not to deal with Calith at all unless he forced my hand. I cared nothing for what he said or felt about me, but I cared greatly about what Elenna thought. All I wanted was to win her over. The problem of Calith would take care of itself if I succeeded.

Never taking my eyes from her, I walked around the throng watching the dance, making my way steadily to where she and Calith stood with her family.

Sordien was on his feet before anyone else noted my arrival. He bowed deeply, but with an unsteady nervousness, I thought. “Good evening, my lord,” he said. The others in his family party turned with varying degrees of swiftness and greeted me. Elenna made a graceful curtsy, but kept her eyes trained on the ground. Calith simply looked shocked, I thought. His confidence was wavering.

I gave a terse nod to Sordien and then turned to Elenna. “Would you walk with me for a moment?” I asked.

Before she could reply, Calith found his bluster. “I do not think that would be appropriate,” he said.

Ignoring him, I fixed my gaze on only her. “Please,” I said.

Calith took a step forward. “It would not be suitable for her, a betrothed maiden, to walk alone with you,” he said.

“Please,” I repeated softly, holding out my hand.

Slowly, she placed her hand in mine. I clasped it lightly for fear I would crush her now that I had her within my grasp. I turned to lead her toward the path to the river where we had gone weeks before; the same path we had taken when I knew without doubt that I loved her.

Calith grabbed my shoulder from behind. I turned slowly, my body suddenly alert with a feral instinct that was only seconds away from escaping my control.

He snatched his hand away quickly. “I must object,” he said, but I thought his voice had lost its earlier sureness.

“I did not ask your permission,” I said steadily. “This is Elenna’s decision, and she has made it. You will respect her and her decisions.

“Please do not do this,” Elenna whispered. People near us had begun to turn to watch. “I will be fine, Calith. Please.”

Though Calith said nothing further, the look on his face was one of complete outrage. Underneath his anger, however, I saw thin cracks of worry visible upon his brow. From this, I took great pleasure.

Neither Elenna nor I said anything as we walked the well-worn path toward the falls. When we reached the rock at the step-falls, I pulled her gently to the top and took her to the exact place where we had spent, in my mind, an important evening together. I motioned in request for her to sit and when she did, I sank down beside her.

At that point I realized I had erred in not planning carefully what I wanted to say to her. Disjointed words and feelings rushed through my mind, but I could find none to say exactly what I wished to tell her. For lack of a more refined opening into this conversation, I simply decided to tell her what I had learned.

“Recently,” I said, “news has come to me; this information disturbs me greatly.” I took a deep breath. “I am told that Calith has been speaking of me and making accusations that I have willfully trifled with the affections of maidens.” She said nothing, keeping her gaze pointed downward at her folded hands in her lap. “These tales are not true, Elenna,” I said. “I have never done such things.”

When she still did not speak, I pressed my hand to my forehead and ran it over the top of my head. If she would not respond to what I had to say, then I could only hope to encourage her to talk to me by asking her questions. And I did indeed want answers. “Why did you not tell me you are betrothed?” I asked as mildly as possible.

Finally, she shifted as if suddenly awakening and said, “You must understand, my lord,” she said, “I did not expect to have to explain this to anyone. By the time I realized that …” she stopped abruptly.

“Realized what, Elenna?” I asked.

“…that I…that you wished to see me, I thought it too late to explain this to you.”

“Would that not have been the most appropriate time to tell me that you were not free to see me?” I said.

“Calith…Calith and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. He asked me to bond with him on the night before we left to come to the stronghold for my adar to meet with the king. I did not exactly say that I would, but I did not say that I would not either,” she said.

“Then how did he come by the impression that you consented?” I asked.

“I suppose he came to understand that I accepted by silent consent. I did not say no,” she said.

“Do you wish to bond with him?” I asked.

“I do not know what I want at this point,” she said. “When he asked, I had begun to believe that there was little more to love and bonding than two people who can abide with one another simply deciding that this was the sensible thing to do. My yearning for something more had suddenly seemed like childish dreams. I despaired that I would never find what I was looking for.”

“So you settled for him?” I said.

She looked up at me. “I did not feel I was settling, but I felt that this was simply the way things were to be. Calith is a good person. I thought I would learn to care for him in the way I desired. I already loved him as a friend. And what better basis is there for a marriage?”

“How do I come into this?” I asked.

“I thought I had been wrong about everything; I had made an error. I met you and everything I never thought I would feel was blossoming. Then Calith came.  My intention was to tell him that I could not bond with him, but he told me about you, and I felt so foolish.”

“He has lied to you, Elenna,” I said. “I have done none of things he has accused me of doing.”

“Calith would not lie to me,” she said heatedly.

“So you think that I would?” I said.

“No,” she said and then quickly added, “I do not know. Calith has always been faithful to me as a friend, and I know so little about you.”

“So little?” I said, shocked. “You have more knowledge of me that nearly anyone else. Did you not believe me sincere?”

“I did,” she said, “but once Calith explained to me about your previous dealings with maidens, then I realized what a fool I have been.”

“Elenna,” I said with growing exasperation, “you are not a fool. Calith is the one who has made a fool of himself by lying to you about me. Can you not see that he did this to interfere in our relationship?”

“If Calith has told me an untruth, then it is not because he willingly lied,” she said, her cheeks growing flushed. “He is only repeating what he has been told.”

“And who told him such things about me?” I asked. “I have never laid eyes on him until the day I saw him when he told me of your betrothal.”

“People talk, my lord,” she said. “Calith is in the position to speak with those who come to our village, people who do know you.”

“Warriors?” I asked. I knew this was the claimed source of information he had used from what Adar had told me about the conversation that Legolas and Daeron overheard.

“Yes,” she said. “The warriors of the western patrol come through our village frequently. Calith has gotten to know many of them quite well. Males talk about things that I would not be privy to. They told him of your reputation.”

I sighed angrily. “I have no such reputation!” I said, my frustration becoming more difficult to hide. “And there has been no talk from my warriors because there is nothing for them to report. They have a job to do, and this duty does not include speculation about my personal life. The warriors of this realm are too well trained for such idle and untrue gossip.”

Her head snapped up. “You cannot be certain that none of them would say such things.”

“I can and I am,” I said. “My warriors have not made up these stories. The source of these tales is Calith. He made them up to sway you.”

“Calith would not lie to me,” she repeated. “He would never cause me harm.”

Realizing that I was not making any headway in convincing her about Calith’s deceitfulness, I asked, “Have you asked no one else? Someone who knows me? Someone who lives here? What about your aunt? She is aware of what goes on in the main village. Did you not ask her if this is true?”

“No,” she said shaking her head. “I was too ashamed.”

“Then perhaps you should,” I said angrily. “You are willing enough to take the word of an Elf who does not know me over mine. At least ask someone who knows me. Do I not deserve the benefit of doubt?”

“I have never had any reason to doubt Calith either,” she said, matching my anger with her own.

“But you have reason to doubt me?” I asked incredulously.

She jumped to her feet. “By your own admission you do not know Calith. Yet, you casually accuse him of lying.”

I came quickly to my feet. “There is nothing casual about what I am telling you about Calith,” I said. “And what of the accusations he has made about me? He has caused me harm on several fronts, and in the process, he has managed to insult the crown as well.”

Elenna flushed deeply.

“My parents are not pleased with lies being spread among the people they care for, not only because they are untruths about their son, but these lies reflect on the crown as well. Calith has created an intolerable situation for which he will have to answer,” I snapped.

“The king would confront Calith?” she asked, a look of horror openly displayed on her face.

“I do not know what the king plans to do, but I will tell you this, I will confront him,” I said. “I will not stand down while this lying Elf attempts to destroy my standing with the people of my parents’ realm.” I flung my hand out. “While he thinks only to destroy a relationship between two people, he has gone too far. I have no idea who else he has told these tales to. I cannot ignore what he has done.”

Her fists balled at her sides, she took a step toward me. “You will not harm Calith,” she said, her eyes flashing and her lips set into a thin line of anger. “He did not intentionally cause anyone harm. He was concerned for me. Calith told me because he did not want to see me hurt when you spurned me publicly.”

“So instead, he ambushed me in public to tell me that you are betrothed,” I answered back. “I would say that I am the one who was spurned in full public view.”

“He thought you deserved it for playing with my affections,” she said.

“But I did not deserve it,” I said.

“He was protecting me,” she said, her voice rising.

“From nothing!” I shouted. “The last thing I intended for you was harm.”

“He had no way of knowing that!” she said.

“Of course, he did,” I said. “He knew he was lying. His intent was to destroy us, and he did not care who he hurt in the process.” I threw my hands up. “He has hurt you. He has hurt me. And he is smugly standing back watching us dance around one another while he is the instrument of this discordant song.”

She snatched up her skirt and started for the edge of the rock. “I can see that there is no reasoning with you. You have set your mind against Calith and nothing will make you see that he might have been wrong in his information, but he erred honestly,” she whirled back toward me, “and for the right reasons; he did not want to see me humiliated.”

“And you cannot see that he did not care how you felt. He only cared for what he wanted,” I said.

“You are wrong!” she said as she looked over the drop to the path as if trying to discern her descent.

I grabbed her arm to steady her before she plunged headfirst to the ground in her anger. “I am not wrong,” I snapped. “I know the kind of Elf this Calith is, and I will tell you that he knew exactly what he was doing—what he is doing. He has successfully maneuvered you and me and into an argument over him!”

“You know nothing of Calith,” she hissed, straining against my hold. “You are blinded by your own embarrassment and refuse to even allow that he might have been duped.”

“I am blind to nothing,” I seethed, then said, “Except perhaps you! I have let you cloud my vision.”

With a look of surprise, she stopped and stood completely still for a moment. “Release me,” she demanded finally. “I can take myself back to the feast.”

I did as she bade and then jumped to the ground and held my arms up. “Then I will see you back to your adar,” I said, then added, “and in one piece.” Reluctantly, she allowed me to help her down.

She took off down the path at a heated pace with me following behind. I stared angrily at her dark hair swaying with her pace and at the taut set of her shoulders. Disgusted with how what I had hoped would be a reconciliation had turned out, I muttered, “I do not think I have ever known a more strong-headed maiden in my life.”

She spun around to face me; her face was tight with an anger that radiated from her like heat from a fire. “And I do not think I have ever known anyone who is more determined to see malevolent motives when there are none in my life,” she spat out.

“I did not scheme this situation,” I said. “At least I have tried to set things straight.”

“At an innocent person’s expense!” she snapped.

“If Calith is innocent,” I said, “then I am an orc in Elvish clothing.”

“You freely admit that; I did not say it,” she said seething.

I threw my hands up in defeat. “Have it your way, mistress,” I nearly shouted. “You will one day find that this friend of yours is not your friend at all, but may in fact be your worst enemy.”

“I will not discuss this any further with you,” she said as she turned her back to me and started back down the path.

After a short ways, she stopped and wheeled around back to me. “How is it that I am so strong-headed when you will not give an inch?”

“I cannot where Calith is concerned,” I said angrily. “He is a viper, and you will not even pretend to entertain the idea that he has lied to you.”

“You,” she sputtered as her face and neck turned a quick and deep shade of red, “you are insufferable.” She stomped down the path for only two steps and then turned back to me. “My lord!” she shouted as if my title were some bitter bite that she had to rid herself of as quickly as possible.

I stopped dead and looked at her in disbelief. “I am insufferable?” I said. “I am not taking a cause against you!”

“Nor is Calith,” she said. “He is loyal to me, which is more than I can say for you.”

A bitter laugh escaped me. “I have tasted your loyalty as well,” I said.

“I will not discuss this any further,” she said and again, started back toward the Green.

“You have already said that,” I sarcastically.

As we emerged from the forest, I saw Calith pacing back and forth between Sordien and his sister. When he saw us, he stopped, watching us closely. Everything he needed to know was written on Elenna’s and my face. Sordien rose slowly and bowed.

A minutely devious smile winged upward on Calith’s lips. The same look of triumph I had seen on the day we departed to rout the spiders had reappeared. I had to call upon every scrap of self-control I had to prevent myself from snapping his neck like a scrawny, brittle stick.  Calith reached out possessively to take Elenna’s arm. Before he could make good his reach, I snatched her back against me, pressing her back into my chest. My eyes never left his and hopefully, were inviting him to give me a reason to take him apart limb by limb.

Through gritted teeth, I said, “If I ever hear the slightest indication that you have caused her to shed one tear on your account, I will hunt you down and exact a toll that will make you regret ever having drawn breath. And make no mistake, I will find out.”

The cocky look on his face faded instantly, and he took a wary step back. Never breaking my eye contact with him, I released Elenna and stepped back. To my satisfaction, I noted that she did not go to him, but remained standing where I had left her. My only hope was that I had at least planted a seed of doubt in her mind, and she would not bond with him. I knew that I might never have her affection again, but I was certain I did not want him to have it. I nodded once to Sordien, turned and walked back into the forest.

The crickets sang loudly, adding their own voices to the sound of music and laughter that carried through the trees like a playful breeze. I went only far enough to feel alone and there, I sat down at the base of old, sturdy oak. Pulling my knees to my chest, I dropped my head into my arms and sat still, listening to the sounds of Elves celebrating, and the somnolent voice of the forest playing her night songs. All the pain I had felt and more, came back to reside with me like a faithful companion that would not leave even when unwanted.

Someone approached silently; I knew of this presence only by the shift in the trees’ song. I glanced up to see Naneth standing beside me. I made to rise, but she placed a gentle hand on my shoulder and shook her head. Her gown fanned out around her as she lowered herself to the ground next to me. Gently, she pulled my head toward her and laid a kiss upon my forehead. I turned only enough to allow her to gather me into her arms. Burying my face into her neck, and for the first time in more years that I could recall, I simply let my mother hold me.

Naneth gently rubbed slow, soothing circles on my back as I listened to the beat of my own heart blend with hers. At that moment, I allowed myself to be completely open to her, allowing her to absorb what of the pain I could push away from myself. I had no strength of my own to shelter her or myself from the searing hurt that nearly took my heart.

But I could not stay in her safe embrace forever. “She did not believe me,” I finally whispered. “How could she not?” I asked. “How can she not see?”

Naneth laid a light kiss on my head. “She is young iôn-nín,” Naneth said softly. “But she is also gifted. You must remember that even the gifted must learn to use the talents they have been given. She does not trust herself.”

I carefully pushed away from my mother and sat at her side, staring down at my hands as if the answers lay within my grasp, but my hands were too idle to offer any hope. “She does not trust me,” I said softly, feeling this final blow to my heart swell. “Elenna has placed her trust in someone who does not deserve it. She cannot see that Calith is lying.”

“Does she believe that you did not trifle with her affections?” Naneth asked.

“She said she did,” I said, glancing upward to see my mother, and then looking back down in embarrassment and hurt. “But she could not believe that Calith would lie to her, either.”

“You must remember,” Naneth said softly as she stroked the top of my head in the manner she often practiced when I was a child and my hair had come undone, “Elenna has known Calith all her life. He has had many years to work his web of deceit about her. To admit that one has erred in their judgment can be difficult. I think she knows that Calith has deceived her, but her pride will not allow her to admit it to herself yet.” She took my chin and lifted my face to her. “Give her time, child. Elenna is not a fool. She is simply stunned and confused by all that has happened.”

“Would my feelings for her not sway her?” I asked. “If she is gifted, then why does she not know that I am sincere?”

Naneth smiled kindly. “She is indeed swayed by your sincere feelings for her. Her feelings for you are strong, but she wars now with having her entire world turned askew. All she believed has been taken from her. In time, she will see that what has been snatched from her has been replaced with something far better. She is frightened, iôn-nín; her heart is vulnerable to you.”

“She is vulnerable to Calith’s lies,” I spat out angrily.

“For now,” Naneth said. “But I do not believe that she will remain so. Once she has time to reflect, I think she will come to realize that what you offer her is far more important than her pride or maintaining a friendship with someone who has meant to control her.” Naneth chuckled slightly. “Elenna is a feisty one. She will regain her own self and remember her own wisdom. You have shaken her world, child.”

“She has certainly shaken mine,” I admitted.

Naneth chuckled again. “And that will be what will lead her back to you.”

“I do not know that,” I said. “I cannot see her admitting she was wrong about Calith. She was far too angry in her defense of him.”

“Do not despair,” she smiled. “Elenna loves you. The pull back to you will be stronger than any hold Calith might have over her.”

“Does she love me?” I asked, wanting reassurance. “Or have I only interpreted her feelings the way I wished them to be?”

“Love is a very strong bond among our kind, Aldamir. It cannot be ignored for long.” Naneth kissed my cheek lightly. “She does not want to ignore what she has found with you. Give her time to set straight her life. And take heart, child; in time, I believe that she will be receptive to you once again.”

“I know, Naneth, that you are gifted with understanding, and I do not doubt you,” I said. “But I am not certain that Elenna will ever see me the same as she did before Calith came.”

Naneth smiled sadly. “She still sees you the same as she did before. All that will be required is for Calith to touch her or kiss her. As a female, I can tell you that if the touch of a male is not welcome from deep within, then the act will make her recoil. Her heart will immediately turn back to the one who whose heart is tied to hers.”

“I hope that you are right,” I said.

“I think I am,” Naneth said with assurance. “I can not predict the future, but I can understand what troubles her now. You need only give her time.”

I smiled grimly. “I want to break Calith’s neck.”

Naneth laughed lightly. “And he knows this too. He will not hold sway over her much longer.”

At that moment, I felt the shift in the trees once again that told me that someone approached. Adar appeared from the darkness of the trees. I started to rise, but he motioned me to remain seated. “I wondered where my wife and son had disappeared to,” he said as he seated himself next to us under the old oak. He eyed me carefully, but said nothing.

“We were talking,” Naneth said softly. I did not fully understand the bond they shared, but I could feel that she was reaching out to Adar and he was open to her.

Slowly, he leaned forward and cupped my face in his hand. “I love you, child,” he said, “And I am proud of you.”

“Thank you, Adar,” I said. “I love you too.”

Adar reached out to me then and I fell forward into his embrace. His strong arms enclosed me in a grip that poured warmth and strength into my damaged heart. With a firm kiss to my head, he whispered, “My son.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List