Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Good Enough  by The Karenator

Chapter Eleven: Legolas

Adar placed his cup on the dining table as we finished evening meal. “I am afraid I will be late in joining you this evening in the family room,” he said. “I must meet with Galion for a short while.”

Naneth smiled. “Then I will see Morwen about choosing cloth to re-make draperies in the guest chambers,” she said. She glanced at Aunt Noreth. “Perhaps you would like to accompany me to Morwen’s cottage?”

“Indeed,” Aunt Noreth said. “I would enjoy a nice walk now that the rain has passed.”

And rain, it had, for three solid days. Another two days had been needed to simply dry the paths enough to walk without slogging through mud and wet leaves. Not that I had been allowed out to see the soggy forest, but Daeron had come home each day coated in a thick layer of mud. I envied him.

“Naneth?” I said, hoping that now that I had been allowed out of my chambers for several days, I might have some chance of stepping out the palace doors.

“Yes, love,” she smiled. She knew what I was about to say; I could see anticipation in the way she tilted her head.

“Since I am much better, I would like to go to the garden for a while this evening while everyone is out,” I said.

“Guilin tells me that you are much improved, but you are aware that you are not quite past the worry of cramps and sudden weakness,” she said. I grimaced. Only that morning after morning meal, when I stood to leave, I had been seized by a cramp in my thigh that had nearly taken me to the floor. Fortunately, Daeron caught me, but only a second passed before Adar had lifted me and placed me back in my chair and when I could stand, he made me walk in circles around the dining room until the cramp passed….with him by my side, ready to pounce, if the grace of the Elves left me again. This was a setback in convincing my parents that I was well enough to do more than ramble about the family quarters and read the books that Borgil brought me so that I could keep up with Daeron in our studies. For over a week, I had been bored completely out of my mind. So bored, in fact, I had actually read some of the books.

“I am just going to sit in the garden, Naneth,” I said. “I have not been outside at all since I have been home.”

Naneth’s eyes slid over to Daeron. “Do you plan to accompany Legolas to the garden?”

“I did not know he wished to go out, Aunt Lalaith,” he said, “but I am more than willing if you would like.”

“I do not think it wise for him to go beyond the family quarters alone,” she said. She turned back to me. “You may go, but do not stay past an hour.”

The smile that broke out on my face was one of pure joy. The outside! If my actions would not have drawn a reprimand, I would have run from the family dining room and gone straight out the Great Doors, laughing like a giddy elfling. “If I may be excused then,” I said, “I would like to enjoy the evening before it grows late, and I am once again tossed into bed.”

“And toss you, I will,” Adar laughed, “if you do not return as your naneth has instructed.”

“I will, Adar,” I promised, still grinning from ear to ear.

“Then you and Daeron may go,” he smiled.

As I stepped onto the landing outside the Great Doors, I flung open my arms and took in a great breath.

Daeron chuckled. “You act as if you have been held prisoner.”

“I am indeed an Elf set free,” I said as I descended the steps and took the side path to the family garden.

“For an hour,” Daeron laughed as he followed me.

Before I planted myself on a bench, I walked about the walled garden, touching the trees and breathing deep the sweet fragrance of flowers. Blooms in every shade of the rainbow nodded gently in the warm summer breeze. Daeron settled himself on the front wall so that he could look out over the paths that crisscrossed beyond the privacy of the walls and drew a knee up to his chest. When I had contented myself with touring the garden, I took a seat on a long, backed bench carved of wood.

“How did your weapons wiping go today?” I asked as I stretched out on the bench to gaze up at the dusky sky, watching for the first stars to twinkle to life.

“Fine,” he muttered. Then he smiled. “Belas is still nervous. I think he is counting the days until Aldamir returns and he has to face him.”

“The troops should be returning in less than a week,” I said. “I hope Guilin will release me to go back to training; I do not want to miss this.”  A light breeze was rustling the tops of the trees as I watch a gray titmouse scamper along a branch, stop and look down on me, and then sail into a neighboring tree.  “What have you found out about Calith?” I asked.

Daeron shook his head. “Little,” he sighed. “I have not had time to seek out anyone who might be knowledgeable about him. I have seen only novices and masters and family, but I hope to have a small stretch of free time….” He paused, leaning forward to peer down on the outside paths.

“What?” I asked.

“Sh.hh.h,” he said, waving his hand toward me without looking.

I sat upright. Finally, he motioned me toward me. “There he is,” he whispered. “He and Elenna are walking toward the river.”

Leaping up next to him, I crouched on the stone wall and followed the direction of his gaze. I immediately recognized Elenna, but I think I could have picked out Calith simply based on Daeron’s rather unusual description of him; this Elf was indeed pretty. He was tall as most Elves are wont to be, but there was a delicate shaping about his face that gave him a willowy, almost unsubstantial look as if he might break if too much pressure fell on him. His eyes were large and round and I thought the gaze he had trained on Elenna was alert, yet empathetic. Too solicitous, in fact.  Something in his manner seemed disingenuous to me as he walked by her side, keeping step with her as if she would falter at any moment, and he would be required to save her from some evil tree root whose sole existence was causing her to stumble. I could see why Daeron had taken such an immediate dislike to him; this Elf was walking trouble.

“They are moving away from us,” I said softly.

“Sh.hh.h,” Daeron hissed. “Listen.”

“I am pleased you wanted to go for a walk this evening,” Calith said. “You have stayed within your aunt’s cottage walls too long.”

Elenna dipped her chin to stare at the path, but said nothing.

Calith smiled. “Come, now, my love, you must put this behind you. No one escapes making mistakes in life and no one thinks ill of you for having been misled.”

“I feel like such a fool,” she said softly.

“Far from it,” Calith told her. “You were simply not aware of the games played by some males.” He sighed dramatically and placed his arm loosely about her shoulders. “We have been sheltered, living in one of the outermost villages. We are a simple folk, not given to the intrigues of royals. I, for one, am grateful for not having to deal with over-privileged lords and ladies who have nothing better to do with their time than to play with the affections of others.”

I threw a glance at Daeron. He looked as shocked as I am sure I did as he moved down the wall like a squirrel cautiously observing a fat nut on the forest floor. I followed.

Calith and Elenna rounded a curve in the path and were quickly moving out of our sight. I quickly leapt into the nearest tree and stayed just to their backs. Daeron was on my heels.

“I would not have believed that Lord Aldamir could be so callous,” Elenna said. “He seemed so kind and sincere.” She stopped walking and looked up at Calith. “I have embarrassed you as well.”

A smile of sympathy lifted the corners of his mouth. “No, my dear, I am not embarrassed. You were taken advantage of. This is no fault of yours. Lord Aldamir is the one who should be embarrassed, but I fear that such repentance is beyond someone like him. Whatever he wants has always been his for the taking. He is quite practiced at deception. Maidens are mere folly for his kind.” He tossed his hand out casually. “Do not worry about me; I am merely grateful that I was able to get here before he spurned you publicly and caused you even more humiliation.”

“Nonetheless,” she said, “I am sorry for making such a public display of myself and in turn, causing the public eye to rest on you as well.”

Calith took her hand. “I can withstand anything as long as you are safe from predators like our king and queen’s oldest son.” He tightened his grip on her hand. “Once we are home things will be much better.”

Elenna nodded. “We have been friends for as long as I can remember,” she said, “and I am grateful to you for your steadfast loyalty, but under the circumstances, I think we should postpone the betrothal ceremony; I have done great harm to us both.”

“Now, now,” he cooed, “there is no need to feel uncertain about our plans. We have always known that we are destined for one another. You were simply a victim of an elaborate game played by Lord Aldamir; that does not change who we are to one another.”

Elenna stopped walking. “I am so foolish,” she said. “How could I be misled so readily? I am so sorry, Calith. You are much too kind to me after what I have done.”

“Do not be so hard on yourself,” he said. “If I had not spent time among his warriors as they pass through our village, I would not have heard about his prowess with falsely wooing maidens either. You had no way of knowing, and I certainly never thought that he would try to misuse you in any way, or I would have spoken to you sooner.”

“I do not deserve your forgiveness,” she said, “but I am grateful for it nonetheless.”

Calith planted a soft kiss on her hair. “Think no more about this. We are safe together and will speak no more of it.” He took her hand and started walking. “Now, tell me about your day.”

I sat perfectly still as I watched them chat about the mundane chores of the day until they were beyond sight and hearing. “Did you hear what he said about Aldamir?” I asked Daeron.

“I cannot believe he has told her that Aldamir uses maidens and then discards them,” Daeron said shaking his head. “If I had not heard this with my own ears, I do not think I would have believed it.” Daeron sat down on a limb, running a slender braid through his fingers. “I wanted to ask him if we were talking about the same Aldamir,” he said snidely. “He certainly was not talking about the one I know.”

“He was lying!” I said heatedly.

“Obviously,” Daeron said. “He has told Elenna this to make her believe that no one but he can make her happy. The slug.”

I puffed a great breath out and leaned against the trunk of the tree. “Oh, how I wish Aldamir was here. We have to tell him what Calith is saying.” I slid down the trunk to squat next to Daeron. “Even if Aldamir does not wish to pursue Elenna any longer, he should know what vicious lies this Elf is telling about him.”

“Then we will tell him and what he does will be up to him,” Daeron said.

Dusk was leaving quickly to allow night, and I was somewhere I was not supposed to be. “Come,” I said as I grasped a limb to hurry back to the garden before I was missed.

“Oh, no,” Daeron muttered as he grabbed my arm. Upon the path below stood a very angry queen and a shocked-looking aunt, though Daeron probably saw it the other way around.

“Legolas!” my mother said. “Come down here at once.”

My heart leapt into my throat as I pondered whether escape was an option. Since I had been sighted, it was not, and since I could think of nothing to save myself, I simply did as she bade. Moving cautiously through the branches, I went to the lowest one before I dropped carefully onto the path. I saw Naneth relax slightly once I was on the ground.

“I can explain, Naneth,” I started, but she silenced me with a wave of her hand.

“Go to your chambers,” she said, her voice tight with anger and something else that I could not quite identify. “I will come to you directly.”

I hesitated; I wanted to tell her that I had a good reason, but I could not tell her what that reason was. She would tell me I should not interfere in Aldamir’s private affairs.

“Now, Legolas!” she said sharply.

“Yes, Naneth,” I said and turned to go with Daeron following immediately. Aunt Noreth had said nothing, but I was certain that she had passed the appropriate looks of disapproval to Daeron.

As we approached the Green, Daeron shook his head. “Well, that certainly worked out well.”

“What are you complaining about?” I snapped. “You were not confined to the garden. I am the only one in trouble.”

“Do not delude yourself,” he said. “I will be held accountable simply because I was there. I did not tie you to a tree in the garden and call for the guards; therefore, I am guilty too.”

“You will not be sentenced to doing nothing and I will,” I complained.

“I expect not, but I will endure the wrath of the angry naneth,” he said. When had walked across the bridge, he slapped me on the shoulder. “Look at the bright side, we have important information. Are you going to tell your naneth what we found out?”

I snorted. “Of course not. I can hear that conversation now: Why yes, Naneth, not only was I disobeying, but I was eavesdropping as well. I do not think she will find that the ends justify the means.”

“So what then will you tell her?” he asked. “We need to have the same story you realize. My naneth is going to ask me what we were doing.”

My head was beginning to hurt. I rubbed at my eyes. “I do not know what to tell her,” I moaned. “Why were we out of the garden?”

“Well, the truth seems out of the question at this point,” Daeron said, “though that is usually the best course with naneths. They have some innate ability to know when their offspring lie.” He paused then said, “I suggest we tell the truth, only not all of it.”

“That we were following the pretty Elf and Elenna?” I yelped. “Naneth will like that no better than eavesdropping.”

“No,” he said as if I were daft, “we will tell them that we were sitting on the wall when they walked by and you, having never seen Calith, just wandered casually out to get a look at him and that was all. We were on our way back when we met our naneths.”

“Were we not out a bit far for us to have just stepped out for the view?” I asked sarcastically.

“We will have to hope that they do not notice that part,” he said.

“And if they do?”

“Then we plead innocent to realizing that we were so far away from the garden--so lovely was the evening and the trees’ song and the warm breeze. We will claim wood-elf defense; we could not help ourselves,” he smiled.

“You are not taking this seriously,” I said, narrowing my eyes at him suspiciously.

He flung his hand upon his chest. “Of course, I am. We really have no defense as far as our naneths will be concerned, so we will just have to make do.” He smiled. “And keep to the same story.”

“I am dead,” I muttered as we passed the guards at the Great Doors.

When I entered my chambers, I found I was anxious in the quiet of stone walls and softly carpeted floors. I was alone, and I was not certain that I was prepared to face my mother’s wrath on my own. I first sat in a chair in front of the hearth and when I could not sit still, I went to my bathing chamber and washed my face. Pulling my sleep clothes from the wardrobe, I flung them on the bed. I decided I might as well dress for bed since I was confident that I would not be leaving my chambers in this Age.

After I had changed, I sat down on the bed and looked around the room. Everything was in order, books, maps, weapons and furniture, all sitting exactly where it should be. Instead of finding comfort in familiarity, I suddenly realized that I was feeling slightly queasy. The wait was unbearable. Snatching from the bedside table one of the books Borgil had brought me, I opened it and tried to read, but the words made no sense as I fidgeted, glancing at the door every few seconds.

I did not have to wait long before the door to my chambers swung open and Naneth marched in like a commander ready to dress down an errant warrior. She closed the door none too gently and stood staring at me as if she were unsure by what manner she would end my existence.

“Explain yourself,” she demanded.

The prearranged story was simple enough, and I found that the words flowed easily after I reminded myself that I was telling her the truth—partial as it was. Most of all, I wished to appear innocent of willful wrongdoing and as repentant as possible.

When I had completed my tale and begged for her forgiveness, she simply stood next to my bed with her arms crossed and her eyes flashing. Finally, she said, “Do you have no forethought? Did it not occur to you that you could be seized by spasms while in the trees? Do you not realize that you could have been seriously injured if you had fallen?” Before I could answer, she flung her hand out. “Do not tell me that Daeron would have prevented this. Or that the trees would not let you fall. Some things are not within the power of others to stop.”

My mind raced back to another time when Daeron and I had fallen from a tree, so I do not think I would have used that rationalization; it had not served me well in the past. Instead I said, “I am sorry, Naneth. I was enjoying the evening too much when I took to the trees to see this Elf that Elenna is betrothed to, and I did not think.”

“Legolas,” she said, “Elenna and her friend are none of your concern.”

“But, Naneth, I only wanted to see what he looks like.”

“How do you think your brother would feel if he knew you were spying on Elenna?” she asked.

“I was not spying!”

Her frown deepened. “That is certainly not how it appears. And you put yourself at risk in doing so.”

“I felt safe,” I said. “I know what I did was foolish, and I am not making excuses, but I did not think anything would happen.”

“No one ever does, child,” she said. “The things that happen to end a life or cause great harm happen in the blink of an eye, and they cannot be changed once it is done.”

“I understand,” I said.

“I am not certain that you do,” she said. “You have not only the worries of caring how your actions affect your family, but also your responsibility to this realm. You cannot simply dismiss the fact that how you behave reflects on the crown. If you are viewed by the subjects of this realm as irresponsible in your personal life, then it will influence how they see you as the son of the king. You destroy your credibility. You destroy the trust that you must have to fulfill your duties.” Her body was straight and taut as she took a step forward. “One day, you will be in a position of leadership; you do not have the luxury of being careless. If you expect troops to follow you then you must gain their respect and trust. Think, Legolas! Think before you do something that will cause harm to you or to someone else.”

“I am sorry,” I said. “I made a mistake.”

“Yes, indeed, you made a mistake,” she said, “but it was not an honest miscalculation, it was an error of willful negligence. This type of mistake is avoidable.”

I looked down at the coverlet on my bed and picked at a fold. She was right, as much as I hated to admit it. I had done something unwise, but what made it even worse was that I could not tell her why I took the risk. I was aware that the possible outcomes never entered my mind when I went after Caltih and Elenna, but I think had I been fully aware that a spasm might catch me at the wrong time, I would still have gone to hear the rest of the conversation. The information we gained outweighed the risk. Truly, I could not have said that I would not have done it again, even if I knew that Naneth would catch me, and I would later be sitting on my bed being scolded. “I am sorry,” I muttered again, feeling quite disingenuous, but saying it nonetheless and feeling terribly guilty that I was not as remorseful as I should be.

She remained silent, her face set hard and her chest rising and falling noticeably. Anger rolled off her until I felt myself leaning away from her. My determination wavered for a moment, and I considered telling her the truth, but I could not risk her forbidding me to reveal to Aldamir what I had heard.

“Then you may stay here in your chambers until I tell you otherwise,” she said.

“Yes, Naneth,” I whispered, feeling terrible that I got caught and feeling even worse for lying to her, but I could see no other course of action at that time. “Will you tell Adar?” I asked softly.

“Of course, I will,” she said. “He will not be pleased, Legolas. His responsibilities are great, as is his love for you. Knowing that you have disregarded respect for your position and for his love for you, will not sit well with him, I can assure you.”

“I did not mean for it to be that way,” I said.

“Then perhaps you will think more carefully in the future before you throw off good judgment and simply do as you please,” she said.

“I will,” I muttered.

“If you need anything call a guard to summon me,” she said as she went to the door. She stopped. “And Legolas, think carefully about this.”

When she had gone, I lay back on my bed and stared at the ceiling, trying to remember the last time I had felt so wholly terrible.

Naneth had been gone only minutes when a knock sounded on my door. “Come,” I said dully.

Daeron ducked into the room and closed the door behind him. “How long is your sentence?” he asked.

“Until we sail,” I muttered, exhausted from the confrontation with my mother.

Daeron laughed lightly and sat down on the edge of the bed. “She will grow weary of having to see you fed in your chambers,” he said. “Did you tell her what we heard?”

I shook my head. “How could I? She would have been angrier—if that is possible.”

“Maybe she would have been so concerned about the lies Calith is spreading about Aldamir that she would have forgotten about confining you to your chambers.”

I snorted. “You do not believe that, do you?”

“Not really,” he sighed. “Naneths seem to be able to juggle three or four crises at a time and still not forget to tell you to change your undergarments.”

“And your naneth?” I asked.

“I got the responsibility lectures complete with the admonishment that since I am older, I should be wiser.” He shrugged. “She was not overly angry. According to her, you frightened her and your naneth so much that she is still recovering.”

I tossed the book aside and jumped from the bed. Being confined and treated like an elfling was wearing my patience thin. My entire family worried far too much.

Taking a step to go nowhere of interest since there were few places I could wander while confined, I was suddenly seized by a cramp in my chest and across my back that drove the breath from me. The harder I tried to take in air, the tighter the spasm clamped down on my chest. I pressed my hands into my chest trying to lessen the spasm, but succeeded in only making my muscles grip me as hard as an iron band twisted on a barrel.

“Legolas?” Daeron said as he came up off the bed.

Nothing would come when I tried to speak. I could not force air into my cramped chest as pain and fear overtook me. For a moment, I wavered, tilting from side to side as bright lights began to flash before my eyes and my mind grew foggy and panicked that I would not gain my breath. Unable to think clearly, I simply tried to stay on my feet.

Daeron bolted for the door. I turned to go to the bed as I struggled through excruciating pain and lack of air. Vaguely aware of the door slamming into the wall, I heard Daeron shout to the guard at the end of the hall. “Summon the queen immediately. Something is wrong!” Everything went black.

When I woke, Daeron was lifting me to the bed. The pain was still there, but I was able to force small gasps of air into my chest. “Hold on,” he whispered. “You were only out for a moment.” He settled me gently against the pillows. “Breathe, Legolas, just breathe.”

Naneth and Adar came running through the door. Naneth nearly flung Daeron to the side when she reached the bed. Adar called to the guard hovering at the door. “Summon the healer. Hurry!”

“Relax, Legolas,” Naneth said soothingly. “Do not worry; this is only a severe spasm. You can breathe.” The cramp was finally loosening its hold on me so that I could willfully draw air into my aching chest.

I could not take my eyes from her face. “Naneth,” I croaked as tears swam over my vision.

Adar knelt by the bed. He placed his hand on my chest, and I felt the warmth of his touch melt through my night tunic to my skin. “Your naneth is right; you must take calm deep breaths. The healer will be here in a moment. You are safe.”

With gentle hands, Naneth brushed the tears that had sprung to my eyes from my cheeks. She touched my forehead and smoothed my hair from my face, all the while speaking quietly to me in reassurance. The words were lost to me as I fought the panic that had seized me along with the spasm; the sound of her voice steadying me was like a light beckoning to me in a deep fog.

“What has happened?” Guilin demanded as he came to sharp halt behind my parents.

Adar stood as he told the healer of the spasm that drove my breath from me.

Naneth rose and stepped back. “He is frightened, but he is breathing,” she said.

Guilin began quickly loosening the fasteners on my tunic. “Did he lose consciousness?”

“Yes,” Daeron said from where he stood at the foot of my bed.

“For how long?”

“Only a few seconds,” Daeron said.

“Less than a minute?” Guilin asked as he ran his hands over my chest and neck.

“Yes,” Daeron replied.

“Legolas,” Guilin said, “can you tell me what happened?”

The pain was diminishing, but I felt oddly out of focus with my surroundings. My heart pounded loudly in my ears and my mouth felt dry and thick. “Spasm in my chest and back. I am better,” I muttered weakly.

“Your muscles are loosening,” he said kindly. “Relax and take deep breaths. This will pass.” He turned to my parents. “I will give him something to help the spasms and to aid him in resting tonight. This has probably been brought on by a bit of overexertion on his part today. As you know, after a spider bite the muscles remain easily stimulated for a while and sometimes even the most mundane of movement can send them into spasms.” He looked back to me. “You may get up tomorrow as you have been doing, just be a little quieter for another day and then we will begin again to increase your activity.” He patted my leg. “You will be fine.”

From his bag, he withdrew a little earthen jar and poured a small amount of liquid into the glass on my bedside table and then filled the glass with water. “Here, Legolas, drink this. It will help you relax, but it will also make you quite drowsy. Be careful if you get out of bed.”

“He will not be alone,” Adar said.

Guilin nodded. By this time, I was certain that he knew that Naneth and Adar would be rooted to the chair next to their children’s bed if anything was wrong.  Knowing that there was no point in arguing with them that I would be fine by myself, I sighed, feeling air moving in and out of my chest and decided that it was enough that I was grateful for this simple function. I had caused this. Guilt and fear filled me when I thought of what could have happened if I had been caught by such a spasm while in the trees.

After drinking the bitter potion, I settled back onto my pillows and watched silently as Naneth and Adar thanked Guilin. He smiled reassuringly at me and took his leave.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Daeron asked when he came quietly to my bedside. I smiled at him, sorry that I had caused him to look as worried as he did, but greatly relieved that he had been with me when this happened. More than likely, I would have survived the attack, but the thought of being alone when I could not call for help made my chest tighten again.

“No, thank you,” I said. “I am fine now. Thank you for your help.”

He waved his hand in dismissal. “I am just glad I was here.”

“I am too,” I said.

He grinned with a slightly nervous tilt to his mouth. “Then I will take my leave also so that you may rest.” With a roll of his eyes, he chuckled. “I think I will go and try to calm myself enough to sleep tonight. Some of us have to get up and go to training tomorrow.”

“Good night,” I said.

“I will see you in the morning,” Daeron said as he turned to my parents. “By your leave, my lord and lady, I will retire to my chambers.”

Naneth hugged him tightly. “Thank you, Daeron,” she whispered.

When she released him, Adar hugged him and placed a quick kiss on his head. “Good night, child,” he smiled.

Adar arranged the chairs that had been placed back in front of the fireplace next to the bed as Naneth busied herself straightening my room and snuffing lanterns. The last I recalled before I fell asleep was Naneth adjusting my covers and kissing me lightly on the forehead. “Go to sleep, my baby,” she whispered.

“I am a big baby,” I slurred.

Adar laughed, and I drifted off into a deep sleep.

Very early in the morning, I woke to find both my parents still by my side. But sometime during the night, Naneth had moved over into the large chair with Adar. Half in his lap and half in the chair, she slept soundly with her head on his shoulder. His cheek was laid against the top of her head, but when I stirred he focused his eyes and simply watched me. I was still groggy, but I managed a feeble smile, feeling warmed by their presence and by the obvious closeness of my parents. I did indeed feel safe. Adar returned my smile, but said nothing. Within seconds, I had fallen back into sleep and did not wake again until morning.

Naneth had gone when I awoke for a second time, but Adar still sat in the chair next to the bed with his eyes closed and his hands linked across his midsection. For a short time I simply watched him. He was not sleeping, I was sure, but he looked peaceful and relaxed as if contemplating the ease of simply being. A strong surge of love filled me. This Elf was not just the king, but he was a very good father who gave of himself to his sons when lesser Elves would not have been capable of bearing the responsibilities of realm and family. I felt important to him, and I was comforted by this thought. I wanted him to be proud of me just as he was of Aldamir and Erelas. My father is an accomplished warrior; there are none better than he and with all my heart, I wanted to be like him, not only as a warrior, but as an adult. Someday I hoped to have the same composure as he does to meet my responsibilities with strength and kindness. I could not yet imagine marrying and having children of my own, but I supposed that that day would come and I could think of no one else whom I knew who managed to carry all the roles and responsibilities that he did with such grace and love. Suddenly, I was very ashamed of myself for lying to my mother. He would not have done so.

“Good morning,” Adar said softly as he slowly opened his eyes.

“Good morning, Adar,” I responded sleepily.

“I do not know what Guilin gave you last night to help you rest,” he smiled, “but it must have been quite powerful. You may need a moment to wake fully.”

“I am a little groggy,” I said, but it was not Guilin’s potion that weighed heavily on me.  At that point I still did not know what I wanted to do about the lies I had told my mother, but I knew I would have to decide if I would tell my parents and take the risk of being told to not reveal to Aldamir what I had heard or bear the burden of guilt for my deceit.

“You must have overdone your activity yesterday,” Adar said. “Today will be quieter.” He was not suggesting that I would have less to attend; he was telling me that I would do as I had been instructed.

“I will rest today,” I said.

“Taking to the trees was quite risky,” he told me. “I hope that you will consider that we do not make rules for you without cause, iôn-nín. The healers are experienced with injury and Guilin knows of what he speaks.”

“I did not think,” I said.

Adar watched me with kind but knowing eyes. “What would take you so that you forgot the ordeal that you have recently suffered?”

“I was glad to be outside,” I said, carefully.

“That is understandable,” he agreed. “I do not think any of our kind can resist the call of the forest for long.”

When he said nothing more, I suddenly felt anxious with the need the say something myself. “I wanted to see this Elf who is betrothed to Elenna,” I said.

“I see,” Adar said. After a short pause, he said, “And what did you learn of this Elf?”

My face flushed hot as I shifted under my covers to bring them further up to fit their coolness onto my cheeks. “He is tall and dark-haired,” I muttered.

A slight crease formed on Adar’s forehead. “Does he worry you?”

Pressing the cover further into my neck, I nodded. “He has harmed my brother.”

“Do you think this was intentional?” Adar asked mildly.

Resigned to fate, I flung the covers away. “Yes, I do,” I said as I sat up. “Adar, I am sorry that I eavesdropped, I know it is wrong, but he and Elenna were talking about Aldamir and I had to hear what they were saying. That is why I followed them.” Before he had a chance to respond I went on. “I was afraid to tell Naneth because she would tell me to stay out of Aldamir’s personal affairs, but I do not see how I can. Aldamir must know what Calith has been saying about him.”

“What did Calith say?” Adar asked.

Words tumbled out of my mouth as I recounted the conversation I had overheard. Anger swelled again in my chest. I saw a quick glint of anger flash in Adar’s eyes, but his anger was placed securely behind his placid expression as quickly as it came. But I could see that his knuckles were white as he gripped his hands tightly together at his waist.

“If I understand what you are saying, then Calith has lied to Elenna about Aldamir’s intentions?” he said.

“Yes,” I said, sliding around to put my feet on the floor. “He has accused Aldamir of not being honorable. That is not true, Adar. Aldamir would never treat anyone with such disrespect, especially not a maiden. And she is the daughter of a village leader. Calith wants Elenna for himself and he has convinced her that no one other than he can make her happy.”

“Did she appear happy?” Adar asked.

“No, not at all,” I said quickly. “She was sad and even tried to delay her betrothal ceremony to Calith, but he would not hear of it.” I slid forward until my knees were touching his. “I have to tell Aldamir. If Calith is telling such vicious lies about him, then Aldamir deserves the right to defend himself. And who else has Calith been relaying these false tales to?”

“Certainly, no one here at the stronghold,” Adar said. “The people know your brother and know none of Calith’s accusations are true. I suspect that this is something that he has concocted to sway Elenna.”

“And it is working,” I pointed out. “Calith has damaged Elenna’s feelings about Aldamir.”

Adar relaxed back into the chair and gazed thoughtfully over my shoulder as if gathering his thoughts. My heart pounded; I feared that he was going to tell me that I could not tell Aldamir. I silently pleaded that he would not withhold this information from Aldamir. Slowly, his gaze came back to me. “This is indeed unsettling information, Legolas. I assume that Daeron also heard what Calith said?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Legolas,” he said softly, “I do not want you to say anything about this to anyone just yet.” My heart sunk. “Allow me to make some inquiries first. Once I have an idea about who this Elf is, then I can judge better how to deal with this.” His eyes narrowed and his lips stretched thin. “Your naneth is right that you should not interfere in Aldamir’s personal affairs…”

“But Adar!” I cried.

He held up his hand to silence me. “But this is not only information that Elenna and Aldamir have been deceived; if Calith is spreading such lies, then his actions are damaging to the crown. I will not tolerate such.” He leaned forward. “Allow me to handle this, Legolas. I do not want you involved.”

“Will you tell Aldamir?” I asked worried that I had only gained the same stay that I had expected from Naneth.

“I will do what I think is best when I gather what information I need to decide. For now, I want you to remain silent.” He sighed and stood. I came to my feet as he did. “In the meantime, I will help you wash and dress and we will go to morning meal. Then,” he said as he placed his arm about my shoulder and began to walk me toward my bathing chambers, “you will have a quiet day.”

“What will you do, Adar?” I asked.

He laughed. “First, I will eat morning meal; I am quite hungry. Then,” he said as he guided me into my bathing chambers, “I think I will be king.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List