Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Avalanche  by shirebound

AVALANCHE

Chapter 5 --- Preparation

As soon as Pippin was safely up, Legolas was able to wrap both arms around Frodo and make his way to the top of the ledge. Aragorn and Sam were waiting for him, and led him back to where Sam had arranged the blankets and bedrolls.

"I could find no physical injuries on Pippin, Aragorn, but you should check him yourself."

The Ranger nodded. "I'll do that later." He helped Legolas lay the unconscious hobbit down. Sam pulled over a pile of blankets and sat down next to them.

"Just tell me what you need, Strider," he said quietly, his eyes glued to Frodo's pale face.

"I will, Sam," said Aragorn. He checked Frodo's pulse and breathing, then turned to Legolas. "Tell me."

Legolas started to remove Frodo's cloak. "He hit his head on that boulder. There, on the left side. He stayed conscious as long as he could, mostly to comfort Pippin, I believe." He slid a hand behind Frodo's head and lifted it slightly, removing the scarf as Aragorn began to unbutton Frodo's jacket. "His left wrist appears to be broken, Aragorn. I couldn't find any other injuries but he was feeling too ill to tell me much."

Aragorn nodded as he eased the left sleeve of Frodo's jacket gently over his hurt wrist and put the jacket to one side. He took one of Sam's folded blankets and laid Frodo's left arm on it, keeping it elevated.

"You did well, Legolas. Did he know where he was, who you are?"

"Yes."

Aragorn turned to Sam. "The first thing we need to do is get him dry and warm. He needs dry trousers, anyone's will do. I don't want him to get pneumonia on top of everything else." Sam grabbed Frodo's pack and started pulling out clothes. Aragorn quickly unbuckled Sting, then removed Frodo's breeches and heavy underdrawers, both soaked through from the snow. He gently pressed a blanket around Frodo's legs and bottom, making sure they were as dry as possible, then pulled up fresh breeches and covered Frodo with several layers of blankets.

"Sam, he might still be feeling sick when he wakes. Why don't you bring over one of those basins just in case." Aragorn knelt over Frodo. "All right now, let's see what we've got," he murmured. He ran his fingers over the swelling under Frodo's curls. Frodo groaned faintly but didn't open his eyes. Slowly and carefully, Aragorn checked Frodo's neck, chest, back, legs, and feet, replacing the blanket coverings as he checked each area for injuries as best he could. Finally he pushed Frodo's left shirt sleeve as far up as it would go, revealing the swollen, bruised wrist.

"It does look broken," Aragorn said. "The snow has probably kept the swelling down somewhat, which is good. Let's see now..." He very carefully felt along the bones in the tiny wrist, trying to determine how bad the break might be. Frodo moaned, then suddenly stirred and cried out as Aragorn touched one spot. The Ranger immediately stopped his probing and laid Frodo's arm back down on the folded blanket as Frodo's eyes fluttered open.

"Mr. Frodo?" Sam reached under the blankets and took Frodo's right hand. "We're getting you warmed up, sir, and Strider is tending to you." He felt Frodo squeeze his hand slightly.

"Frodo," Aragorn said softly, "Tell me how you feel."

Frodo blinked, focusing with an effort on the Ranger's face above him. He swallowed hard, fighting down the nausea he still felt.

"Where's Pippin?" he whispered.

"He's here," Aragorn said. "Boromir and Merry are taking good care of him."

Frodo nodded, then grimaced. "I... feel sick..." Aragorn immediately wrapped his arms around Frodo and turned him on his left side, keeping his hurt arm resting on the folded blanket. He held Frodo up a bit and supported his head as the hobbit vomited into the basin Sam pushed beneath his head. When it was over Frodo was starting to shake, but Aragorn wasn't sure whether it was from the beginnings of shock or the cold. He laid Frodo back down and covered him again, pulling a third blanket over him.

"Give me a cloth, Sam, soaked in water." Sam handed Aragorn one of the cloths and the Ranger wiped Frodo's mouth, pressing a trickle of clean water between his lips.

"Frodo, I know you're feeling ill. I know your head hurts as well as your wrist. Tell me, do you feel pain anywhere else?"

"No," whispered Frodo. "Just so dizzy... I'm sorry, Aragorn, I know we don't have time for---"

"Frodo, you are the reason we're all here. We'll make time." Aragorn laid his hand on Frodo's brow and stroked it gently. "I need you to listen to me very carefully. Can you do that?"

"Yes."

"Your wrist is broken, and I need to bind it up before the sun sets and it's not light enough for me to see clearly." He smiled at Frodo, trying to sound reassuring. "You were lucky, it seems to be a clean break, and your wrist just has to be immobilized for awhile so it can heal. I've seen how fast you can heal, little one. But binding it up is going to hurt, even worse than it does now. I'll be as quick as I can."

"Can you give him something, Strider?" Sam asked.

"Not yet," said Aragorn, looking into Frodo's eyes. "I don't want to give you anything to put you to sleep because of your head injury. It's just not safe yet. I'm sorry, Frodo, I just can't. Soon we'll have you all wrapped up and warm, as comfortable as we can make you." He brushed a few curls away from Frodo's forehead and smiled. "This was very clever of you, you'll probably be warmer than you've been in days."

Frodo looked at him. "Aragorn, don't let me..." His breathing grew a bit quicker. "Don't let me make any... noise. I don't want to scare Pippin."

The Ranger nodded, impressed anew with Frodo's courage and selflessness. "All right." He looked around. "Gimli, I need you to help us."

The Dwarf came over from where he and Gandalf had been talking quietly, and sat down. "Gandalf will keep watch for awhile," he said. "How are you, Master Baggins?"

Frodo tried to smile at him, but a fresh wave of dizziness forced him to close his eyes for a moment.

"All right," said Aragorn, pulling his supplies close to him. "Gimli, I don't want Frodo to move when I'm binding up his wrist. Just press gently on his shoulders and keep him still." The Dwarf nodded.

"Legolas, when I ask you, put..." Aragorn sighed. "Put your hand over Frodo's mouth. Just in case."

"Strider!" Sam was indignant.

"It's all right, Sam," said Frodo. He was trying to be brave, but suddenly all of this was sounding a bit frightening. "Just hurry, Aragorn."

"I will. And Sam, maybe you can---"

Frodo's right hand had found Sam's again, and their fingers entwined. Sam smiled at his friend and took his hand in both of his. "I think I'll just stay right here, Strider," he said softly.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List