Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Avalanche  by shirebound

AVALANCHE

Chapter 4 --- Sheltering Arms

Sam watched in awe as Legolas walked sure-footedly up the steep slope carrying Frodo and steadying Pippin. Snow was still sliding around making walking treacherous, but the Elf kept a smooth, steady pace. Everything Sam learned about Elves impressed him more and more each day.

Cold, Sam thought suddenly, they're going to be awfully cold. He sat down behind Boromir and started to untie some of the blankets as the "rope" got shorter and shorter. Gathering up a handful, he piled them next to the rock wall, pulled Frodo's and Pippin's bedrolls over, and started to make a warm place for them.

Merry, meanwhile, was watching Pippin's every step. Pippin stumbled slowly upwards, guided by Boromir's steady, gentle pulling, never raising his head and never saying a word to Legolas. Strider had told him that Pippin needed a lot of comfort right now, that he didn't feel safe and was very upset. He had asked Merry to be very quiet and calm, and not force Pippin to talk until he was ready.

Aragorn was fumbling in his pack, pulling out cloths and splints, when Gandalf knelt down next to him.

"This isn't your fault," said the wizard.

Aragorn looked at Gandalf with a bitter expression on his face. "Isn't it? We are on this mountain because I would not dare to cross through Moria a second time. What if they had been killed? Another few feet and---"

"Aragorn," said the wizard, "it is not you who put Frodo in danger. We are here to do everything we can to protect and defend him. With each step, each day, each decision, my friend, we can only do what we can."

Aragorn nodded, but didn't look convinced.

"Now," said Gandalf, "how can I help you?"

"I would like to make a fire, Gandalf; they're both going to be very cold."

Gandalf shook his head. "Let us wait and see. I would choose that only if it is a matter of life and death. Fire can be seen for a very great distance." He looked thoughtful. "There are other ways, I think." He got to his feet and laid his hand on Aragorn's shoulder. "Hobbits are very resilient, my friend." Aragorn nodded and turned back to his pack, trying to prevent his feelings of guilt from keeping him from focusing. He tried to remember everything he had been taught about broken limbs and emotional trauma.

Legolas stopped a dozen feet from the ledge and looked up. "Boromir, pull Pippin up. This last part is too steep for him." He rested his left hand firmly on Pippin's back, supporting him as Boromir pulled him quickly to the top.

Without taking the time to untie the blanket from Pippin's belt Boromir pulled the young hobbit into his arms and carried him to the back of the ledge where Sam had laid out blankets and bedrolls. Boromir could feel Pippin shaking with cold, and was dismayed at his silence.

Boromir sat Pippin down on the blanket next to Merry and removed Pippin's cloak and jacket. "His shirt is dry, Merry, but his trousers are damp from the snow. Get a dry pair and then we can wrap him up in blankets and get him warm." Boromir kept his voice low and soothing. "Here you, go, Pippin, we'll have you warmed up in just a few minutes." He untied the blanket from Pippin's belt but let the hobbit continue to hold onto it. He had seen trauma before and knew that everything had to be taken slowly. He unclasped Pippin's belt and scabbard and set them aside.

Merry worked silently to help Boromir, nearly beside himself with worry. Why won't he talk? He's so cold, what can we do? They wrapped the shivering hobbit in two layers of thick blankets, and Boromir then unhooked his own fur-lined cloak and used that as a final wrap. He brought the bundle of hobbit into his lap and pulled the fur hood down a bit over Pippin's face. "Merry, come here," said Boromir. "Hold him. Stay still and quiet, we're just going to hold him between us. We'll keep him warm and help him to feel safe." Merry scooted over and wrapped his arms around Pippin, nestling against him.

Pippin sat quietly, shaking and confused. Was it over? He couldn't move, he didn't want to move, everything was still and dark and people were holding him and nothing was moving, not even the tiniest bit. They wouldn't let him fall. Nothing could happen as long as he didn't move. He slowly let himself relax a little into the dark stillness. Then a little more. As the cold subsided it was replaced by a warm drowsiness.

After awhile Merry felt Pippin's shivering stop, his breathing grow steadier. "I think he's asleep," said Boromir softly.

Merry slowly sat up and took a deep breath. He could see Aragorn working on Frodo just a few feet away. They would both be all right, wouldn't they? He felt relieved and frightened at the same time, and suddenly couldn't hold back any longer. Throwing himself down next to Boromir, he began to sob uncontrollably. Boromir pulled over another blanket and laid it over Merry. He would do everything in his power to help these little ones recover. He had heard what Aragorn said to Gandalf earlier, but the Ranger was mistaken. Boromir knew this incident was not Aragorn's fault. He knew it was his.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List