Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 70. Where the Shadows Lie

Pippin knocked again on the shiny green door of Bag End, starting to wonder at the delay. Of course, they'd all been ill, but Meliloc had brought back the news to the Smials that all the Gamgees had survived the fever. Just as he was raising his hand to knock a third time, the door was jerked open and he found himself looking at the White Tree of Gondor. Looking up, he greeted Bergil with surprise and pleasure.

'I was on my way back to Buckland,' Bergil said. 'Thought I'd stop off to see my hobbit-folk.' Sam and Rosie had joked about adopting the tall guardsman during their prolonged visit to Minas Tirith.

'How are they?' the Thain asked.

'Rose-Mum is in the kitchen,' the guardsman answered. 'I've tucked her up in the rocking chair by the hearth with a cup of tea. No one was strong enough to help her out of bed, so I told them I'd stay until things are better.'

'And how is the Mayor?' Pippin asked, having noted the omission.

Bergil's smile faded and he shook his head. 'He never wakened from the fever,' he said.

Pippin stood very still, breath failing him. 'Sam...?' he said.

Bergil said hastily, 'While there's breath, there's hope. He's still breathing, anyhow. Rose keeps talking to him. She says he'll waken when he's ready.' He swung the door wider. 'But come in, I know Rose-Mum would like to see you.'

Pippin walked in, fighting the impulse to walk tip-toed. Bag End seemed different, with a sad, dusty air of neglect. There was no sound of voices raised in laughter or song or cheerful conversation, no good-natured argument amongst young hobbits, no smell of bread baking or stew simmering away.

They entered the kitchen, where a blanketed figure sat unmoving in the rocking chair before a cheery fire. 'Mistress Rose?' Bergil said softly.

Without turning her head, Rose Gamgee said, 'I thought I told you to call me Rose-Mum, since you've no proper mum of your own. You're my lad, now, and don't be forgetting that!'

'No, Rose-Mum,' Bergil said obediently, with a grin to Pippin. Fever might have taken Rose down a step or two, but she was still climbing the stairs, as they said in Minas Tirith. 'Look who's come for a visit.'

'A visit!' Rose fussed. 'And me in my wrapper, and the dust thick on everything.'

'I came to see you, not the dust,' Pippin said, 'though I'll draw you a picture in it if you wish.'

'You scoundrel,' Rose said, 'Don't you dare! It might give the children ideas...' her voice broke and she buried her face in her hands.

Bergil moved smoothly to kneel at her side, soothing her back with one of his large, gentle hands. 'Now Rose-Mum, the children are getting better each day. Young Tolman said he was hungry this morning, and you know that's a good sign. And I was able to coax some broth into Frodo-lad, though he didn't open his eyes.'

'Yes,' Rose sniffed, nodding with her hands still over her face. She brought a handkerchief out from her sleeve and wiped her eyes. 'I'm being foolish, I'm afraid,' she said. 'Hullo, Pippin, though I'm not sure I'd say welcome, for a poorer welcome I cannot imagine.'

Pippin moved forward to hug her, shocked at how insubstantial she felt. 'Finding you here, and out of danger, is welcome enough, Rose,' he said.

'Merry-lad's with Sam right now,' Rose said, 'if you wanted to see him. Bergil thought I might need to rest my voice a bit, or perhaps he's just tired of the sound of it.'

'Never!' Bergil maintained, then said, 'But look at you, you've let your tea go cold, and after all the trouble I went to.'

'Hah. Seems as if you could go to a bit of trouble, all the tea of mine you drank in the White City,' Rose rejoined.

'You had better make amends, Bergil, and make another cup while you're at it,' Pippin said, giving Rose's arm a squeeze and rising. 'I'll just go see Sam, now.'

Rose nodded without speaking, and slowly began to rock as Bergil put the kettle on and stirred up the fire.

In the quiet bedroom, Merry-lad sat holding his father's hand. He was gaunt, and wan, and dark circles haunted his eyes, but he smiled when he saw Pippin and turned to the bed, saying, 'Dad, the Thain's come to see you.'

The figure in the bed stirred and sighed. 'If only I could have my wish, my one wish, to go back and find him!'

Merry-lad kissed the hand he held and laid it gently on the bed, turning to Pippin with tears in his eyes.

'He spoke?' Pippin said.

'He stirs, on and off, but never wakens, really. He's living in Mordor, these past few days, and cannot find his way out again.'

Pippin sat down. 'I'll watch with him awhile, lad. Could you go and get me a cup of tea?' The lad nodded and slowly left the room.

Pippin took up the limp hand and spoke. 'Now, Sam,' he said. 'This won't do at all.' A moment later, Bergil came in with the steaming cup dwarfed by his hand. Pippin thanked him, and the guardsman sat himself on the floor next to the bed. 'How bad are things?' Pippin asked him.

'Most of them are recovering. The worst off are Sam-Dad, Frodo-lad, and the little golden-haired lass.'

'Goldi?' Pippin asked, his heart sinking. He had a special affection for the spirited lass. Bergil nodded.

'But while there's breath...'

'There's life. I know,' Pippin said. 'Many's the time I heard it said about me when they didn't think I heard them.' Sam opened his eyes as if roused by the voices, and Pippin bent over him. 'Sam? Do you hear me?'

Sam's eyes turned to him. 'Mr Frodo? I must have fallen asleep.'

Pippin looked helplessly at Bergil. 'People keep calling me that... I might have to change my name.'

'Is it time to go on, Mr Frodo? What I wouldn't give for a drink of water,' Sam said.

'It just so happens I found some water, Sam, and I have it right here,' Pippin said gently. He took the cup Bergil poured and, lifting the Mayor, held the cup to his lips. 'Take little sips now.'

The Mayor sipped and nodded. 'Got to make it last,' he said. 'Never know where we'll find more.' He sipped again. 'All right, Mr Frodo, now for it. That mountain won't come any closer with us lying about.'

Pippin eased him down again. 'No need, Samwise, it's not quite time yet. You rest a bit longer.'

'All right, Mr Frodo, but you watch out for that stinker. He was around earlier.'

'I'll keep watch, Sam. You rest.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List