Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

47. Return from Lake Evendim

'It has been a good visit, Strider,' the Thain said quietly as the King's entourage approached the Bridge. 'Let's do this again some time.'

'Can I persuade you to come to Gondor for a visit?' Elessar said.

Pippin shook his head. 'The Tooks would never stand for it,' he said, laughing. 'I'd return to find another Thain in my place, not that it would be a bad thing, mind.' His eyes twinkled. 'But I've got used to the job and would hate to have to learn another at this late date.' The King joined him in laughing.

'Then come to Gondor when you tire of being Thain,' he said. 'There will always be a place for you there.'

'I'll hold you to that,' Pippin said, waving a stern finger.

'Good,' Arwen said. 'As will I!'

They were approaching the Brandywine Bridge, and saw quite a throng of hobbits waiting. The Master of Buckland and Mayor of the Shire rode forward to greet the King and Queen. All dismounted to share a picnic on the grass by the River, Elanor Gamgee serving the Queen, of course, and Pippin serving the King as in times past.

There was a moment of silence when King Elessar proposed a toast to Bilbo and Frodo; it was the day before their birthday. Elanor thought of the Ring Day celebration that would take place in Gondor the next day. Somehow, a birthday picnic seemed a... hobbity thing to do.

At last, it was time to part. Elessar wished to reach Bree before nightfall; they would stay over at the Prancing Pony before starting the long journey South. The King elicited promises from all his Counsellors of the North-kingdom, the Thain, Mayor, and Master, that they would visit him at Lake Evendim when next he journeyed North.

'So, Pippin, will you spend the night at the Hall?' Merry asked as they mounted their ponies.

'Is that an invitation?' Pippin asked.

'Of course!'

'Only for the one night?' he grinned.

'O we might find it in our hearts to press you to stay... especially as the Eastfarthing Pony Races will take place on the morrow.'

'The pony races? Aren't they always held on the First?'

'Well,' Merry said, 'We thought to move them to the Twenty-second this year, since the Thain was to be away on the First.'

'Very thoughtful of you,' the Thain said.

'Indeed,' the Master nodded. 'I expect to be richly rewarded.'

'You have my undying gratitude,' the Thain intoned solemnly.

'That'll do for starters,' the Master answered. Both burst into laughter, and it was a gay party that rode through the North Gate of Buckland and down the road to Brandy Hall.

A welcoming feast was held in the great room, and the hobbits ate and talked, laughed and sang into the wee hours. At last the Master rose, saying, 'We'll not be fit to watch the races at this rate. I would hate to miss a close finish because I couldn't keep my eyes open! And the Thain has had a long journey to get here.'

'Don't blame your frailty on me, cousin!' Pippin laughed. 'If you were to keep feeding me and plying me with brandy, I'd be content to talk until the dawn!'

'Not I,' yawned the Mayor. 'I must save some words, at least, to open the festivities.'

'Aye, you are just a bunch of old gaffers,' jeered the Thain. 'Go ahead, seek your beds.'

'And will we find frogs in them this night?' the steward of Buckland asked slyly. The Thain's hearty laughter was his only answer. Berilac shook his head. ' 'Twould be just like old times.'

'I'd hate to disappoint you,' Pippin chuckled. 'I don't suppose you have any frogs handy? No? Then I'm afraid it'll just have to wait until tomorrow night. I had little time for frog hunting whilst with the King; his tastes run more to deer and stoat, and those are a bit difficult to carry about in the pockets.' Laughing, all the merrymakers meandered from the tables, continuing to talk as they slowly made their way to their rooms.

'Would he?' Estella asked Merry after they left the Thain and his son at their guest rooms.

'I wouldn't put it past him,' Merry chuckled.

Estella jerked back the bedcovers before settling, though she made sure to do it whilst her husband was discussing a few last-minute details with the steward before retiring. She sighed and got into the bed. That Pippin! Sill, it would be worth checking under the covers again on the morrow... just in case...

Merry came in and kissed his wife on the cheek. 'Any frogs?' he said.

'No, nor crickets, either,' she answered.

'Ah, well, there's always the morrow,' he said, then walked over to the bowl of fruit on the table, taking an apple.

'It's late,' Estella protested.

'Yes, Jewel will be wondering about his bedtime story,' Merry answered with a smile.

'That old pony's probably asleep already, as you ought to be,' his wife said with asperity. 'You're not going for a ride this time of night?'

'I won't be long,' he said, kissing her again, and left before she could argue further.

***

The soft knock came just as the Thain was reaching the high point in his story. He broke off, shaking his head at his son, to say, 'Come?'

As Elberic's head appeared around the door, Pippin said, 'Thank you, we have all we need.'

'That's not why I'm here,' the messenger said. 'Begging your pardon, Sir, but the steward wished to extend an invitation to share a glass of brandy before you retire.'

'Steward, or Master?' Pippin asked shrewdly.

'The steward, Sir, though he awaits you in the Master's study.'

'Very good, Elberic, please tell him I shall join him soon.' The lad nodded and withdrew.

Pippin looked at Faramir. 'Sorry,' he said. 'We'll have to take up the tale on the morrow.'

'That's all right,' his son answered. 'That will give you time to think up...'

'What?' his father grinned.

'O how about a few trolls, and an eagle or two?'

The Thain nodded. 'I'll give it serious consideration,' he said. 'Good night, Son.' He hugged Faramir, rose from the bed, and left the room.

He found Berilac waiting alone, brandy already poured, a cheerful fire burning on the study hearth. The steward nodded him to the other comfortable chair, saying, 'I sent my assistants off already.'

'How are Doderas and Elberic working out?' Pippin asked.

'They show great promise,' Berilac said. 'I'll probably keep Doderas on, he is a natural leader and has shown initiative. He might even become Steward of Buckland someday.'

'And Elberic?'

'Doderic has his eye on the lad, wants to apprentice him as an engineer. Lad has a fine head on his shoulders,' the steward answered.

'It's about time they left the pranks behind and started doing something useful,' Pippin said.

'Ah well,' Berilac chuckled. 'You were still making mischief after you returned from the War, as I recall.' He sipped at his brandy. 'They're about the same age now as you were then.'

Pippin chuckled and sipped his own brandy. After a thoughtful silence, he said, 'You didn't just ask me to talk over old times.'

Berilac shook his head, but seemed to have trouble finding the words to begin.

'Merry was looking well today,' Pippin said quietly. 'Has he been getting more rest, then?'

'In spite of himself,' Berilac snorted. 'He does not take well to being managed.'

'I'd imagine not,' Pippin said dryly.

'I've taken on as much of the workload as possible, shared out a lot of his responsibilities with others in the Hall. He sees the value in that, of course. But I cannot relieve him of his worries.'

'Worries?' the Thain asked. Berilac nodded. Pippin hazarded a guess. 'How is the harvest going?'

'O adequate, for all it's been a dry year,' the steward answered. 'We won't feast every day, but we are not yet facing famine.'

'That's good to hear,' the Thain said with a wry expression.

'But that's not his biggest worry,' Berilac added. He emptied his glass, and Pippin got up to refill both their glasses. Nodding thanks, the steward continued. 'Estella's expecting again.'

'Ah,' the Thain said quietly.

'You know how many she's lost,' the steward went on, '...or you might know. I don't know if Diamond would have told you...'

'O yes,' Pippin said softly. 'She wept for each one.'

The steward nodded again. 'And you know how she nearly died with the one son she was able to bear.' He met the Thain's eyes. 'Merry's nearly beside himself with fear for her. I think it will kill him if anything happens to Estella.'

'If the worry doesn't kill him first,' Pippin said.

'Exactly,' Berilac agreed. 'He buries himself in work to keep himself too busy to think, and he's not sleeping.'

'Same old tale,' Pippin sighed. 'So what is it you want of me?'

'Talk to him,' Berilac said, with a sigh of his own. 'For all the good it will do.'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List