Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 25. Idle Talk

When the three truants rode up to the entrance of the Smials, the dragons were waiting.

Reginard and Ferdibrand lifted Pippin down from Socks, joking, 'Have you seen the Thain? He seems to have disappeared; we cannot find him anywhere about.'

'Have you tried the study?' Pippin asked. 'He's often to be found there.'

Ferdi shook his head. 'Now, Regi,' he scolded. 'Why didn't we think of looking there?'

Mayor Sam said, 'Leave a pitcher of ale upon the desk, perhaps you can lure him out of hiding.'

'I'll do that,' the steward answered. 'I suppose I ought to put out extra glasses as well.'

Merry nodded solemnly. 'Good thinking. I can see why he made you steward.'

***

Diamond breezed into the study to drop a kiss upon her husband's head. 'Hullo, love,' she said. 'Did you have a good time?'

'Terrible,' the Thain answered. 'I'm afraid we'll have to keep trying until we get it right.'

She laughed. 'Well, I'm glad you're back. It seems we have a wedding to plan.'

'Have some Sackville-Bagginses turned up with a daughter? I have my heart set on Faramir marrying into that family.'

'No, not yet,' she answered, 'I'm afraid we're just going to have to settle for next best.'

'And that is...?' the Thain asked, raising an eyebrow.

Diamond laughed again. 'It seems Faramir and Goldilocks had quite a difference of opinion today.'

'Goldilocks?' Mayor Sam said.

'She's quite the spirited lass,' Diamond went on. 'Very good with mud.'

'Well, she's a gardener's daughter after all,' Sam murmured with a sip of ale. 'When do we post the banns?'

'We've some time,' Pippin said pleasantly. 'Is she out of nappies yet?'

Diamond bopped him on the head with her hand. 'She's just a year younger than Faramir!'

'O that one,' the Thain said serenely. 'Simply cannot keep all these Gamgees straight...'

***

That evening the Thain did not appear at the evening meal, but Estella noticed that some of the tension had left her husband; Merry actually sparkled at dinner, telling tales to the young Gamgees that had them laughing until they had to hold their sides.

'Father never told me that story about the Elf and the Dwarf!' Faramir broke in.

'He wasn't there, lad,' Merry said, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye. 'It happened after he left with Gandalf to go off to Gondor.'

'Ah,' Faramir said. 'I'll have to tell him about it.'

'You do that,' Merry said. 'I hear you're turning into quite the storyteller, yourself now.' He did not miss the sidelong glance that one of the young Gamgees gave the lad, and smiled to himself. Samwise and Rosie would have to watch that lass, indeed. She looked as if she'd grow up to be a heartbreaker, that one. Good thing his own son would not be old enough to come to blows with his cousin when Faramir got to be the right age to notice lasses as something other than irritants. That Gamgee lass would cut quite a wide swath through the youths, he didn't doubt it for a second.

***

There were three more outings before Samwise regretfully departed with his family. He would be back often, as the road planning and then building took place, to connect Tuckborough with the Bywater-Hobbiton road. Somehow Samwise had been able to persuade the farmers whose fields lay in the path of the road that it would be a good thing for all concerned, including themselves. The Thain and Mistress urged him to bring the whole family when he came.

Merry and Estella stayed through Lithe, as promised, for Buckland had shown no worrisome signs of washing away during the dry season, and Berilac was a competent steward. Meliloc accompanied them on several more outings, to give Merry a hand in lifting Pippin into and out of his saddle, and it was almost like old times in Buckland again.

'...without the Old Forest,' Pippin said. 'I like Tookish trees much better. They learned better manners from their parents.'

'O the Old Forest isn't so bad now,' Merry said. 'The trees help keep the riffraff out, you know.'

'Not my favourite place for a picnic,' the Thain murmured.

'No,' Merry said, thinking of a long ago day in the Old Forest*, 'No, I'd imagine not.'

***

Finally the day came when even the Master of Buckland must resume his duties. 'Mustn't give Berilac ideas that he can get along without me, you know,' he said. 'He might think to declare himself Master, and then where would I be?'

'Out of a job,' Pippin said, 'but if it were ever to come about, let me know. I'll convince Reginard to step up as Thain and you and I will go off to Gondor, see the sights, visit Rohan on the way.'

'You're on,' Merry said.

'So how likely is it that Berilac will try to take over?' Pippin asked. '...at least as Regent for your son?'

Merry smiled. 'We can always hope,' he said. 'I'll drop a few hints.'

***

*Author's Note: This conversation is referring to "Seeing the Forest for the Trees"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List