Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 5. More Guests Arrive at the Party

When the rescuers arrived, the Thain was singing a completely disgraceful song he'd learned off a soldier of Gondor. Diamond and Faramir were doing a creditable job of harmonizing on the choruses.

Ferdibrand Took shook his head at the sight. 'Drunk as a Brandybuck,' he sighed, noting the discarded bottles.

Pippin finished the last chorus and blinked up at the rescuers. 'O hullo, cousin,' he said blearily to Ferdibrand. 'How about a drink?'

'No, thank you, Sir,' Ferdibrand answered.

'Don't mind if I do,' the Thain said, raising his bottle.

Diamond giggled. 'I don't think you need any more, love,' she said. 'The rescuers have got here.'

'They have?' the Thain asked pleasantly, blinking at her. 'O yes, so they have,' he agreed, then looked down at the bottle, shaking it as if to ascertain the contents. 'Wonderful stuff,' he said. 'Very good vintage.' He tried to focus on Ferdibrand who had crouched by his side as other hobbits were affixing ropes to the coach and throwing them over sturdy tree branches above. 'Kills the pain, you know.'

'Are you in much pain, cousin?' Ferdibrand asked sympathetically, and not without a stab of alarm.

The Thain laughed. 'No, none at all!' he gasped. 'See how well it works?'

Ferdibrand shook his head, meeting Faramir's eye as the Mistress giggled. The lad simply shrugged and rolled his eyes, and suddenly Ferdibrand had to stifle the impulse to laugh. Poor lad, what an ordeal.

'How were the wolves?' Diamond asked. 'Did you give them our regards?' ...and she and the Thain were off again in a gale of laughter.

'Wolves?' Ferdibrand said.

'Don't ask,' Faramir muttered.

Just then, Ferdibrand heard the unmistakable sound of a baby's cry. Smiling mischievously, the Mistress pushed aside the blanket wrapped about her. 'Meet your newest cousin,' she said.

'And don't forget his sister,' added the Thain, patting his own blanket. Ferdibrand stared in shock at Faramir, who nodded and smiled. He shook his head. It was a wonder the lad hadn't followed his parents' example and taken to drink.

A hobbit stepped up to them, saying quietly, 'We're ready.'

'Right,' Ferdibrand said. He reached down to unwrap the blankets around the Thain, finding the babe. 'Let me greet her properly,' he said. Picking up the blanket-wrapped bundle, he smiled at the perfect little lass, peacefully asleep, face screwed up in an expression of intense concentration. 'Hullo, cousin,' he said softly. 'Welcome to the world.' He turned to hand the babe into Faramir's waiting arms, then bent again to take the Thain under his armpits. Looking up at the waiting hobbit, he nodded and said, 'Ready.'

The other stood back and waved his lantern. 'Ready! On three!' he shouted. He gave the count, and on the last number the hobbits hauled together on the ropes, the coach lifted slightly, and Ferdibrand pulled on Pippin as hard as he could, falling backwards with the Thain atop him. Bare seconds later the coach shuddered as it slipped from whatever had propped it in the first place and settled lower in the ditch.

Breathing heavily, Ferdibrand clutched at the Thain. He felt Pippin's shoulders shaking, and crawled out from under him. 'How badly are you hurt, Sir?' he asked, then realized that the Took was shaking with laughter.

Finally the Thain ran a hand across his eyes and spoke. 'See,' he said to Diamond. 'I told you it would be no trouble at all. Just "one, two, three" and...' he was off again, laughing. The Mistress joined him in merriment, and Ferdibrand shook his head. Ah, well. He supposed it could have been worse. Much worse. He bent to the Thain. 'I suppose I'll have that drink now.'

He took the half empty bottle that Pippin extended to him and took a long, satisfying swig. Brandy Hall had indeed sent its finest.

'Come on, now, you lot,' he said. 'Fun's over for the night. Let's get you all "out of the chill and under a hill".'

'I'll drink to that,' the Thain said cheerily.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List