Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Chapter 16
By Alex

Elrond let out a breath he had not known he was holding as he noticed Elladan moving away from the battleground. Saying a quick prayer to Illuvatar, the Elf lord fervently hoped that his son would not do anything stupid, before focusing his full attention on Moririme.

As the dark Elf laughed maliciously, Elrond raised his hand in a gesture of peace. "Moririme, end this madness now. It is not too late to redeem yourself to the light." He spoke in a slow, clear voice, over the sound of the howling wind. Surveying the scene for anything that could be helpful during the struggle, he attempted to put an end to the fight before it started. Not an Elf or man was visible, nor could he see any possible advantage among the rocks.

The evil laughter abruptly stopped and angry gray eyes were directed at the Elf Lord. "Stop with your delusions and hesitations, Peredhil. I've heard your preaching before. Only by handing your soul to Morgoth can your life and the lives of your sons be saved."

Elrond shook his and was opening his mouth to retort when Moririme charged at him, sword raised. He barely was able to bring up his own before she was upon him, fighting with speed, strength, and blood lust. As he met her offensive thrusts with parries, Elrond confirmed his prior belief that his opponent was no amateur with a blade; both due to natural skill and from Morgoth's power.

Their blades locked as another ray of lighting illuminated the sky. Elrond quickly urged through heavy breaths, "Rejoin the light!" Moririme's only response was to snort loudly and break away.

The elves were evenly matched as they moved across the barren wasteland in an intense fight; Moririme's strikes were met evenly by Elrond's defensive blocks. However, it was not fated to remain that way. Moving across the rocky surface, Elrond failed to notice a small rock by his feet. Stepping away from her thrusts, he happened to step on this rock, turning his ankle as well as disrupting his balance.

This trip was exactly what Moririme had been waiting for. Barely remaining on his feet, Elrond did not have time to bring up his sword to meet hers. Her blade sliced deeply into his upper arm, and white-hot pain filled his senses as he stumbled backwards away from the offending object. His ankle throbbed with pain as he forced it to support its share of his weight.

Elrond gripped his arm where the dark Elf's sword had cut into it. He grimaced slightly, but did not spare a glance at the wound as Moririme circled, watching him with a look of pleasure on her face. Remembering what she had said about Elrohir before the fight, he decided to change strategies from defensive to offensive. He could no longer afford to attempt to persuade one who would not listen. For the betterment of his sons and all of Middle Earth, Morgoth's servant must be stopped by any means necessary, even death.

Pushing aside the pain, he plunged toward Moririme to continue the vicious battle. Taken by surprise at this new style of fighting, she only managed clumsy blocks as she backed away. Elrond glared fiercely, and faked a swing at her head. Seeing this, Moririme raised her sword to block the stroke that wasn't there. As her sword met air, Elrond's met the soft flesh of the dark Elf's side.

Eyes widening in surprise, Moririme dropped her sword and fell to the ground. A moment latter, the she was dead, and her spells broken.

Elrond stared at her dead body with a sense of sorrow. Grief at killing a once-pure elf overwhelmed him. With it came the intense pain from his arm and ankle, protesting from their mistreatment. Putting aside his discomforts, he rose to find his sons.


TBC...






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List