Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Part 15
By Wanda and Rhonda

Author's Note: This piece is dedicated to Sparx. She's been bugging for a "hurt Elrohir" story so here it is. Sparx is not on the mailing list but once the story is completed, it will be posted on MC, FFNet and/or my personal website (if there are no objections of course). So Sparx, this is for you. LOL!

--------------------------------------------------

Aragorn gasped more in shock than pain as the cool blade bit into his skin. The warm trickle of blood that ran down his neck sent a shiver through his body. Would Elrohir really kill him? By the way the elf was acting, Aragorn had no doubt that he would perish under his brother's knife. But why? Why was Elrohir acting this way? Who had such strong power to corrupt an elven mind?

"Elrohir..." the man pleaded again as the sharp blade was pressed harder against his neck. "Please... don't do it..." Swallowing a panicked sob, Aragorn scooted sloppily backwards towards the wall where Legolas was chained.

The elf prince was helpless to change the situation. His mind screamed out but his body was too weak to respond. All that he could do was watch in horror as Elrohir advanced towards the human, matching his movements in perfect synchrony. Then, a glitter caught his eyes. Something shifted slightly behind Elrohir and Legolas shifted his gaze unintentionally towards the source. The wood-elf regretted his action immediately as Elrohir caught his blunder and twirled around with lightning speed, his knife sweeping out towards the intruder behind him.

Elladan gasped as his brother's murderous eyes burned into his own. His usual silver-grey orbs were now clouded over by a dark mist and there were no recognition in them whatsoever. A chill ran down Elladan's spine as his twin took a step forward, his knife outstretched and held in a death grip. Reluctantly, the older elf drew his own knife from its scabbard, the sound of metal scraping against metal sounded unnaturally loud in the quiet cabin.

"What in the name of Valar are you doing, 'Ro?!" Elladan shouted as he raised his knife in front of him. The thought of having to hurt his twin to protect his youngest brother tore at his heart, and his breath caught in his throat. He loved them both dearly, and he would rather die than hurt either one of them. But he knew that some evil force was behind this; and if he did not intervene, the outcome would be death--possibly, for them all.

Taking a step to his left, Elladan moved slowly to circle his twin, gradually placing himself between Elrohir and the cowering Aragorn on the floor. He could not allow his human brother to die at his twin's hand. Elrohir would never forgive himself.

"Move or share his fate!" the younger elf spat out the hurtful words.

Elladan winced but held his ground. "Elrohir! Look at me! I am your brother!" the elf shouted desperately at his younger brother. "Fight this evil!" he pleaded, his voice wavered under the stress and the hand holding his knife shook ever so slightly. Elladan could see the inner struggle plaguing Elrohir, but he also knew that the elf standing before him was not truly his twin.

Elrohir stood staring at his twin of many thousands of years and a hint of recognition passed through his eyes, but it was only a brief flicker before all hope was extinguished once again. With a quick flash, the younger twin held the knife to Elladan daring his brother to come between him and his destined prey.

"Elrohir, I will not let you do this! You are stronger than this. Fight gwador-nin, fight!"

However, Elrohir showed no sign of hearing Elladan as he raised the blade to take out the obstacle between him and his intended victim. He must do this. He must, in order to find peace, to find rest. She had told him so. He did not blink as he brought the knife up to his brother.

"'Ro, do you not recognize me? Will you take my life? I can not believe this is you..." Elladan said as a tear of hurt and frustration ran down his face. Elladan was a competent warrior but his skills were meant for the enemy and not to be used against his own brother. Torn between love for his twin and duty to protect his human brother, Elladan could not stop the small sob that escaped his lips.

Elrohir looked at his brother with vacant eyes. He felt nothing, and his whole being was focused on his task. He needed rest. His body yearned for it, but his Lady would not allow it until he fulfilled his task. All he had to do was kill the human.

"Do not hinder me. I WILL kill you." Elrohir said, his eyes as cold as ice and they seemed almost black as they stared down at his own mirror image.

Elladan was caught off guard as these words pierced his very soul. He stood his ground, however, not showing any signs of weakness even though his heart bled for the impending fight. His eyes wanted to drift to his human brother and to the elf prince but he dared not let his concentration waver for fear that the evil controlling his brother would take the opportunity to strike.

With lightning speed, Elrohir slashed out at his twin.

Elladan barely had time to bring his own knife up to deflect the blow and slapped the blade away from his face before taking up a defense position. Unfortunately, his action only seemed to enrage Elrohir further as the younger twin let out a furious snarl and rushed Elladan again. Metal clashed against metal as the two brothers locked in a deadly dance, their movements a complete blur as they fought for two entirely different goals: One, to take a life; and one, to preserve it.

Elrohir's moves were swift and deadly, rendering Elladan unable to match him for fear of bringing harm to him. Reduced to defending himself and his helpless brother, who was still huddled against the wall beside Legolas, the elder twin finally resolved to turn his defense into offense. He needed to put some distance between the creature and its victim. Changing his tactics, he drove Elrohir backwards slowly but carefully, trying his best to avoid hurting his brother.

The younger twin, however, did not bear this intention in mind. He lashed out violently at his older brother as he dodged a sweeping blade that was aimed sluggishly at his chest--a gesture that was designed to keep him back rather than to draw blood. Elrohir growled and brought his knife down at Elladan without mercy.

The older elf tried to avoid the attack but his twin was moving at an unmatchable speed, cutting him off from a safe retreat. So instead of exposing his human brother, Elladan opted to take the blow. The sharp blade slashed down at his right arm, cutting through the thin fabric and sinking deeply into his flesh. Hot fiery pain shot up his arm and he struggled to keep his knife to no avail. The elven blade slipped from his grasp and landed with a loud clang onto the floor as he felt his fingers go numb. Clamping his left hand down hard on the wound, he was dismayed when he was unable to stop the warm blood from seeping through his fingers and splattering onto the ground.

But something odd happened. Elrohir winced and clutched at his arm on the exact same spot where he had cut Elladan. The elf froze, his eyes cleared momentarily and he stared dumbly at his injured brother. A flash of hope erupted from Elladan as he witnessed the sudden change in Elrohir's demeanor, but the feeling was quenched when the younger elf's expression hardened once again. All he saw now was vengeful eyes boring into him.

Elrohir advanced towards Elladan in one quick step and grabbed him by the collar, shoving his twin brutally aside. Elladan slammed into the wall. The impact sent agonizing pain up his shoulder and across his chest. A loud ringing exploded in his ears and his vision blurred as tears stung his eyes.

In the few seconds of Elladan's disorientation, Elrohir had moved in onto Aragorn. The human struggled to stand but his legs refused to obey his command. He scooted backwards until his back struck the wall behind him. The man was terrified. He did not want to go this way--not by the hand of his own brother.

"Elrohir..." Legolas gasped out the familiar name, his voice barely above a whisper even in the silent cabin. "You ca-cannot do this..." The barely conscious prince struggled with his words as Elrohir raised his knife preparing for the final kill. "Please... don't do it..." But his feeble attempt remained unheeded.

Aragorn took a shuddering breath and closed his eyes. This was it. This was how it was going to end. His heart ached for his friend and brothers, especially Elrohir. There was no doubt that Elladan and Legolas would suffer the same fate as he. And Elrohir would never forgive himself. He felt rather than saw the blade descend upon him and waited for the pain but it never came. Instead, there was a gasp and Aragorn felt something landing heavily a few inches beside him. Risking his eyes open, he was shocked to see Elrohir on his knees, a small dagger embedded deeply in his side.

Elrohir felt the sting as he was about to fulfill his Lady's wish. The excruciating pain ripped his mind away from the dark spell that was plaguing him and he fell onto his knees, the knife in his hand forgotten as he pressed his hands onto the bleeding wound. The dark mist in his eyes had dissipated to be replaced with silver-grey ones which were now filled with pain and guilt. "I'm s-so sorry..." he ground out through clenched teeth as Elladan made a mad dash on shaky legs towards his fallen twin.

Sorrow and pain marred the older elf's face as he laid his brother down on the cabin floor, his own injury forgotten. Without hesitation, he ripped a strip of cloth from his clothing and folded it into a thick pad. With his uninjured hand, Elladan pulled out the dagger and immediately pressed the wad of cloth onto the gushing wound. Tears flowed freely down his face as he watched Elrohir's chest rise and fall erratically.

"Ai Elbereth!" Elladan cried, "what have I done?!"

"N-Not your fault..." Elrohir whispered. He lifted a trembling hand towards Aragorn who had freed himself of his bindings and was now crouching beside him. "Estel..." he called softly and a pained smile graced his face when Aragorn took his hand. "Forgive me..."

All Aragorn managed to do was nod, not able to find his voice at this crucial moment. Tears welled in his eyes and spilled from their rims as the seriousness of the situation finally hit him. Elrohir would die if they could not get him proper treatment in time. And Legolas. The gravely injured prince was still shackled to the wall behind them.

As if sensing Aragorn's anxiety, Elrohir pulled the human closer to his face. "Key... pouch..." the younger elf managed to say before his hand slipped out of Aragorn's grasp as the darkness engulfed him.

Rummaging through the pouch, which was fastened around his brother's waist, Aragorn found the object he was searching for. Forcing himself to his feet, the ranger staggered unsteadily towards Legolas and with trembling fingers, he prodded at the locking mechanism. The shackles came loose with a small click and the human caught the blond elf as he pitched forward into him, guiding him gently onto the ground beside his brothers.

Legolas moaned and shivered despite the warmth of the room. He coughed twice and let out a piteous groan as the action jarred his broken ribs. The elf prince knew that he and Elrohir were too seriously injured to attempt an escape. Sooner or later, one of the slavers would find them and there would be only one outcome. Aragorn and Elladan would be sold as slaves; he and Elrohir would be disposed of.


gwador-nin - my brother


TBC...






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List