Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Multi-Faceted Mr. Frodo  by Gentle Hobbit

Disclaimer:  All the settings and characters belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. This story is my way of working out or interpreting ideas and concepts already present in The Lord of the Rings. This is done for enjoyment, and for sharing, but not for profit.

Author's Note: This chapter's collection is rather interesting in that each drabble includes Frodo and one of the other three hobbits, and all the drabbles take place after the Quest and in Hobbiton. They are all rather angsty, or at least reflective. Despite the similarities, none of this was planned by me! The characters and general themes were all suggested by other folk.


Chapter 4: "...some vague anxiety about his master."


In June, Budgielover asked for something "between Frodo and Pip, some cousinly advice and wisdom. Something heart-warming that just makes you want to hug them both."

 

Silver and Sable

"Silver and sable, gleaming in the sun." Frodo stood up from the bench. "It's good to see you, Pip."

Pippin latched the gate behind him. "It isn't too 'uppity' is it?" he asked. He came up the steps.

"No."

"Not even for the future Thain?"

"Certainly not."

"But no lordly clothes for you, Frodo, and no attention either."

"My choice, Pip."

"The clothes? Or the attention?"

Frodo turned away and sat down. He shrugged and smiled.

"What would I do with either? But you, Pip? They suit you, and that suits the Shire."

Pippin rested his head on Frodo's shoulder.


These two drabbles were written for Aratlithiel who enjoys reading about Merry being protective of Frodo. I had only intended to write one, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the first, and so had another go at it.

Drabble 1: The Rider

Pony, cart and rider hurtle past them. The only reason why Frodo is not struck down is because Merry grabs him and they tumble to the verge.

As they stand up, shaken, the rider returns. "Sorry, Mr. Brandybuck, sir. Me pony was a bit startled, like. Didn’t see you in your finery."

"It wasn’t me who you nearly ran down," Merry says shortly.

The rider only glances at Frodo. "Right you are then. Again, awfully sorry, Mr. Brandybuck."

"Not sorry enough." Merry walks away and does not see the regretful smile on Frodo’s face.

The rider moves on.

Drabble 2

The whispers have annoyed Merry all evening, but Frodo doesn’t realize or doesn’t care. A couple of pints have more of an effect than they used to, and Frodo is as surprised as Merry when he slides off the bench and onto the floor.

"Oh my," he says and laughs.

Merry easily picks him up and Frodo‘s right hand dangles freely.

At last the worthies of Hobbiton can see that which had never been clearly shown before. But Merry can only scowl as he carries Frodo out, for trying to quell the flames of gossip only fans them brighter.


This drabble was for the birthday of Elanor1013 from LJ.

Bond

Frodo crouches with his cheek pressed to the silky-cool bark. His hands barely encircle the trunk, for the sapling has grown swiftly. He has come seeking the melancholy of Lothlorien; if he listens hard enough, perhaps he can hear some kindred echo.

But this mallorn has sprung from the soil of the Shire -- a land of renewal and rebirth. It will not give a tired, broken hobbit what he yearns for. The bark remains smooth and impervious.

Sam watches Frodo slowly retreat into Bag End, and he rests his own hands where Frodo's has been.

The bark is warm.


This drabble, written in April, was for Gwaith who asked for "frustrated!Frodo with a patient!Sam (or vice versa), or something of the sort. Character comfort is always a plus."

Little Renown

Frodo kneels beside the gardener, for Sam is in tears. His hands tremble as they pat earth around a sapling.

"It isn’t right," Sam says and wipes his hands clean with a vengeance. "You of all of us should have renown."

"And what would you have me be?" Frodo quietly asks. "A dazzling hero? One who did not fully belong before because he was a Baggins? I certainly wouldn’t belong if I were larger than life and twice as unnatural."

Sam shakes his head.

"Do not fret for me, Sam. The Red Book will tell my tale. I am content."

   





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List