Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Multi-Faceted Mr. Frodo  by Gentle Hobbit

Disclaimer: All the settings and characters belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. This story is my way of working out or interpreting ideas and concepts already present in The Lord of the Rings. This is done for enjoyment, and for sharing, but not for profit.

Author's Note: This selection of ficlets or drabbles (all written from September to December 2003) feature Sam and how he views the Elves, Mr. Frodo, and sometimes both. As the readings progress, Sam's views begin to change.

When I reread these, I can sense the touch of "movie-verse", particularly in the second one...


Chapter Three: The Wonder of Elves


I missed my bus home after class on a cold winter's evening last December and had to wait for an hour before the next one. What was I to do with an hour on my hands? Well, this was the result.

Elf-like

A voice, rising and falling, rode the breeze that teased his curls. Sam stood still as he peered through the trees. The words were nothing to him: no meaning could he discern in the soft consonants and pure vowels -- sounds unlike those of the common tongue of hobbits. But the words pulled him forward, beckoned him onward as they spoke to him of distant lands and of beautiful and remote beings.

He crept onward. Step by step, the boy closed in on his mysterious quarry...

...but there was no elf as Sam had hoped. Only the slightly odd Frodo Baggins who had, not long ago, moved to Bag End. Moved from Buckland which was queer enough.

Sam crouched noiselessly amongst the bushes and he peered at the hobbit with the hair so dark. He was not noticed; indeed, the strange words continued and the dusky head remained bent over a book whose soft leather covers drooped ever so slightly over the careful, cradling hands.

Elf-like was what Frodo Baggins was, he decided, -- elf-like and utterly enthralling, with eyes that were unnaturally bright and a voice that spoke each word as if it were tasting every tantalizing letter. He was unlike any of the Shire-folk Sam had ever known.

A sudden yearning to join the older boy seized him so much so that he almost dashed out from the cover of the bushes. But that would have broken the spell.

For Sam was sure, as sure as the heavy wisdom of his ten years, that Master Baggins would not welcome a witness to his unhobbit-like behaviour. This he knew.

But Mr. Bilbo Baggins wouldn't have minded, he thought. Books and words and enchantments were as breathing to the venerable hobbit. All both taken for granted yet cherished.

With a new resolve, Sam settled down. He would watch and wait. And then, perhaps, one day, when he had screwed up enough courage, he would go to Bag End.

  


For Baranduin, who requested a drabble based on the scene where Sam and Frodo watch the Elves pass by.

The Passing of the Elves

The singing came to them on a soft breeze, and yet it echoed as if in a great hall, trembling amongst the trees in plaintive but ancient beauty.

Sam turned to Frodo, and there it was -- the starlight, or elf-light, caught in his master's eyes.

"Mr. Frodo," Sam said hesitantly, wonderingly.

But Frodo did not hear him. And it was, Sam thought, as if something of Frodo were leaving to join the elves glimmering in the twilight.

And Sam shook in sudden fear, for truly he knew not if it were clear sight or simple fancy which frightened him so. 


Don't it make his brown eyes blue... In rather late honour of sandy80461's birthday in August 2004, I wrote a two-part ficlet. She had left her request wide open and only said "Frodo."

So, I started thinking about something that has had me divided in my "visual" perception of LotR: namely, what are the colour of Frodo's eyes, as I see them.

Before the movies came out, I always thought of them as a deep brown. And now, when I'm reading the books and am not reminded of a particular visual scene from the movies, they are still brown. But increasingly over the past few years, a blue-eyed Frodo has been worming his way into my internal world of LotR. Fancy that.

And when I write drabbles (or dream up my fantasies), my "sentimental or h/c Frodos" often have blue eyes. But my older and wiser, canon Frodo has brown eyes. Generally, if my fics have more than three chapters, Frodo will have brown eyes. If the fic has three or fewer chapters, he may have blue eyes... but not necessarily. 

Here, the first drabble is movie-verse, and the second one is book-verse.

Jewel blue and Velvet brown

I

Sam's fingers gripped the edge of the talan.

"The steps turn around these trees," he said, hushed, "just like the petals of a daisy. Except that it’s not flat. And what makes that glowing blue light, I wonder."

"I don't know," said Frodo absently.

Sam turned to look at him. As light glimmered about them, Sam saw, caught in his master's own eyes, an answering shine. Soft jewels those eyes were, he thought.

But then Frodo smiled, took Sam's hand, and said, "Come!" His eyes crinkled, and he led Sam into the shimmer of Lorien.

II

Mr. Frodo, Sam decided, as he skinned Gollum's coneys, was a study in contradiction. Take elves now. Mr. Frodo has something akin to them, the way he had that light about him. But Elves were untouchable. When one looked at their clear bright eyes, one knew they belonged to times of mystery and ancient deeds: all quite unreachable and foreign. Not that Sam didn't love them for it. But Mr. Frodo, now, when one looked at his eyes, warm, brown, and gentle, one knew that he was not remote. At least, he used not to be.

His eyes were dull now, and fine lines rimmed them: exhaustion had taken over. But the colour remained, tired or no.

And when the stew was ready, Frodo awoke and said, "Hullo, Sam." And Sam thought, Elven eyes may be beautiful, but the soft richness of Mr. Frodo's voice, and the deep brown velvet of his gaze were more beautiful than any jewel-like eyes, begging your pardon.

 


This is a double drabble based on an idea suggested by Shirebound: "One of the hobbits' thoughts about being back in Rivendell (after the war, on their way home to the Shire). Has it changed since they were last there? Has it changed because *they've* changed, and are seeing things differently?"

Rivendell

Magical place, this, Mr. Frodo. Always was, to my thinking, and always will be. But I reckon it’s changed, somehow.

You see, master, it was wonderful before, and that’s no different, but there was always that feeling of, well, of danger. You couldn’t take these elves for granted, no sir. But not in a bad way. Just as if you could only see what they would let you see, but all the rest of themselves was like a deep deep well - one you could never see the bottom of, and nothing you’d want to jump into, at any rate.

But that feeling of danger is gone, seemingly. They are sadder now. There’s Mr. Elrond, now. He’s not going to see his daughter again. That’s a hard thing when you’re going to live forever. But I can understand it. It isn’t a mystery to me.

Maybe that’s it. All these places we’ve been to have all been grand and terrible, but Rivendell feels closer to home. We were there before, and now we know it. And I know that this sounds funny, but I have the feeling that it knows us. And we belong somehow. If you take my meaning, sir.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List