Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Tale That Grew in the Telling  by GamgeeFest

Chapter 4: The Spring Feast

23 Rethe

Frodo woke the next morning feeling thoroughly refreshed. If he still had any nagging trepidations from the day before, he kept them perfectly to himself. His friends, pleased to see him back to his usual self, quickly cast their worries aside; they would have no time for them today.

The Hall was buzzing with last-minute preparations for the Feast. The decorations were being put up in the formal banquet room; the food prepared in the kitchens; the ale, wine and other beverages brought out from the cellar. On top of that, the final guests were arriving. Most of them lived nearby and would leave after the festivities, but some would stay the night and rooms had to be found for them. Esmeralda was supervising the decorations and cooking, and Saradoc was greeting the late arrivals and getting them settled in. Merry was given the job of overseeing the entertainment, and he and his friends took to the task with great enthusiasm.


While the feast itself did not begin until six o’clock, the unofficial start of the festivities was luncheon. This was held outdoors under the Grand Pavilion, a series of large tents that were erected atop Buck Hill. Once connected together, the tents would encompass an area large enough to sit 300 hobbits comfortably, but it took thirty men close to an hour to erect them and another hour to move the tables and chairs inside. If not for the threat of inclement weather, the tent would not have been bothered with at all.

Luncheon was a casual affair, with folk coming and going as they pleased. The food was catered in from Bucklebury to free the kitchen staff to prepare the feast. The amount of food was not great and was mostly appetizers, but as everyone wanted to be hungry for the feast, they did not mind. They ate and conversed casually about the turn in the weather and what they would be wearing to the Feast. Once the guests had their fill of food, for the time being anyway, the tables were cleared out and the chairs moved to the perimeter, clearing an area for the games to be held.

Merry stepped into the center of the pavilion and began the activities. They played several games. The first was the Egg Walk, where the contestants had to walk, as quickly as they could, from one end of the Pavilion to the other while balancing an egg on a spoon. Those who still had their egg at the end of the race, win or lose, got to eat it.

Next, they played Tag, a game that usually required a great amount of room. Merry insisted that the limited space of the center tent would make the game more interesting and he was right. Lads and lasses were ducking and bobbing and jumping out of the way and into each other. The children loved it and wanted to play again.

After the second round of Tag, they went on to a three-legged race. The length of the tents accommodated this easily, but Pippin suggested that the racers run two laps. The spectators soon found out why. It was the turning around between laps that proved the most entertaining part of the race, for it was then that most of the participants tripped and fell in giggling heaps.

The final game was Musical Chairs. By this time, the caterers had cleared away all their tables and equipment and the band was ready to warm up. Most of the children and several of the younger adults wanted to participate in this game, so Pippin, Frodo and Merry each officiated over their own circle of chairs. The game went on for quite awhile and the band was able to practice their livelier tunes, much to the delight of the players.

The end of the game marked the start of afternoon tea, and most of the guests left to prepare for the Feast. Merry gave final instructions to the band, then he, Frodo and Pippin went down the hill, barely noticing the gloomy clouds overhead as they discussed the games with great jubilation.
 


They arrived at the Master’s family quarters just as a kitchen servant was leaving. Saradoc and Esmeralda sat waiting, but stood as soon as they entered. “Frodo, Pippin,” they greeted, and encircled their cousin and nephew in tight embraces.

Everyone sat down and served themselves tea and crumpets. Merry and Pippin sat together, prepared to become invisible. These meals were largely for the purpose of Merry’s parents to ensure themselves that Frodo was doing well. Saradoc and Esmeralda rarely had the opportunity to see their young cousin to whom they had served as guardians for so many years. The running of the Hall took up so much of their time that they only ever saw Frodo on his visits to Buckland, and they made a point of dining with him privately as often as they could.

Frodo, for his part, enjoyed his meals with his ‘aunt’ and ‘uncle.’ They had provided him with so much comfort and love during his often difficult stay at Brandy Hall and he loved them dearly for it. He regretted often the troubles he had caused them and was glad to reassure them during these meals that their worries and headaches had not been for nothing.

“So, Frodo,” Saradoc began, “how goes it away in Hobbiton? Keeping yourself busy, I presume.”

“Busy enough, though probably not as much as I could be,” Frodo answered truthfully. “My friends keep me company and make sure I don’t sit idle for too long. Folco comes by often – for the free food, I suspect – and Fatty comes to visit at least once a month for a few days at a time. And of course these two rascals never give me a moment’s peace.” Merry and Pippin beamed innocently.

Esmeralda smiled fondly at her son and nephew, then turned her keen eye back to Frodo. He did seem healthy, as young as ever, and he was finally beginning to fill in round the corners a bit. “You look well, being kept in your vittles I see. I’m always worried you don’t get enough food living all by yourself, with no lass to look after you,” she hinted.

Merry and Pippin snickered into their teacups and Frodo restrained an exasperated sigh with expert ease. ‘Every year,’ Frodo thought, and wondered vaguely who Esmeralda would try to pair him up with at this year’s Feast. He didn’t have many cousins who were of age and not courting already, but she always managed to find someone. As long as it wasn’t Posy Goold again (that lass was much too forward) Frodo figured it wouldn’t hurt to humor Esmeralda for a few hours.

“I manage to feed myself well enough,” Frodo answered casually. “I cook for myself most days, and Sam makes sure I do not slack off. I assure you I’m very well taken care of, Esme.”

“You’re not lonely at all? You keep warm at nights?” Esmeralda pressed.

Pippin choked on his tea and Merry’s shoulders were shaking with repressed laughter. Frodo blushed shyly and became intensely interested in stirring his tea. ‘Just get past this and you’ll be fine,’ he reminded himself.

“I’m quite happy with things as they are,” he finally responded, and took a long sip of tea.

Taking pity on his cousin, Saradoc cleared his throat. “Esme, dearest, I’m certain that Frodo will make such decisions about his family life when the time comes. No need to press the lad on the matter. Now Frodo, I trust you are enjoying your stay so far?”

“I am, thank you Saradoc,” Frodo said, relieved for the change in topic. “I’ve been reacquainting myself with the countryside here. For one reason or another, I never seemed to have the opportunity on previous visits. I cannot believe I’ve forgotten where so many things are.”

“I hope it is not too much for you. I noticed you weren’t about yesterday morning,” Saradoc stated easily, making his question clear but saying it in a way that Frodo would not have to respond if he did not want to. Frodo’s disappearance the previous morning had not escaped their attention, and neither had their son’s own disappearance at second breakfast.

Frodo shook his head apologetically and kept his voice light and carefree. No point in worrying everyone all over again. “I’m enjoying my stay quite well, uncle. Please excuse my absence yesterday morning. I found it necessary to get away for awhile. I never seem able to remember how crowded and noisy it is here.”

“That’s quite understandable, dear,” Esmeralda soothed. Then, seeing another opportunity, she added, “It does take some adjusting to if you’re not used to it. Though Bag End is certainly big enough to accommodate the pitter patter of little feet.”

Merry and Pippin’s snickering renewed. Frodo gave them a pained expression but they could only manage sympathetic shrugs. He decided the best course of action would be to pretend he didn’t know what she was hinting at.

“Yes it is,” he said. “I suppose there’s no reason to let those rooms go to waste. I could host Merry’s next birthday party. It would be nice to have more of the family over.”

“A splendid idea,” Saradoc agreed. “We’ll have to keep it small then. Bag End will only accommodate so many. We’ll iron out the details before you leave.” He was impressed but not surprised. Frodo had picked the perfect topic for distraction, for if there was one thing his wife enjoyed more than playing matchmaker, it was planning parties.

“Don’t be silly,” Esmeralda interjected on cue. “We may not have time again before he leaves. We’ll iron out the details now.”

Then Saradoc was surprised, as his wife’s response seemed to distress Frodo even more than he already was. “Oh, no, Esmeralda,” Frodo said. “That’s really not necessary. I would not want to waste your time.”

“Frodo, you can never be a waste of my time,” Esmeralda chided softly. “And neither can my son. Now, who shall we invite?”

Reluctantly, Frodo helped Esmeralda to plan the party. They went over the guest list, when to send out invitations, how many days the visit should last and what to do during those days, and all the other necessary details. They finished an hour later, and they never once consulted Merry, who sat back and watched the scene with great amusement. He couldn’t really complain after all, as any excuse to visit Bag End was a good one.

When tea was over, the three friends took their leave, Frodo being the first out the door. By this time, Merry and Pippin had mostly recovered from their hysterics, though they couldn’t help pointing out a pretty lass or two who would make a wonderful wife for a particular eligible bachelor they both knew.

“Laugh while you can my friends,” Frodo said when they reached the bathing rooms. “Three more years and Esme will be trying to marrying you off as well Merry, and she’ll be able to hound you every single day. And I believe Tina is already looking for a bride for you Pip, among the North Farthing Tooks. She seems to think responsibility cannot come too soon for you.” He smiled sweetly at his now stricken cousins, stepped inside an empty bathing room and quietly closed the door.

“Do you think that’s true?” Pippin asked worriedly.

Merry shook his head. “No, it can’t be,” he said uncertainly. “He’s just joking.”

Pippin nodded, not sure which cousin to believe. Then without saying another word, they separated, Pippin into an adjacent bathing room and Merry back his family’s quarters.
 


The Feast began at six on the dot, and not a single hobbit was late for the meal. The banquet room had been decorated with large bouquets of wildflowers hanging along the walls. Small crystal vases sat upon the tables, displaying fragrant fresh-cut lilies, roses and carnations in a variety of brilliant colors. Various colored streamers ran across the ceiling in an endless celebration of the turning of the seasons, coming to rest near the middle of the roof, where the grand chandelier proudly hung. Table clothes of fine silk ran the lengths of the tables, and hand-painted porcelain plates were laid out at every seat. Silverware enlaced with gold, and silver goblets bearing the Brandybuck seal, completed the set.

As wonderful as the room looked, the best decoration of all was the food. There was so much food the eye could hardly take it all in. On every table there were salads, fruit platters and piles of mixed berries, roasted chicken, salted pork and honeyed ham, wheat and oat bread loaves and buttermilk dinner rolls, potatoes of every variety, more side dishes than one could name, and every type of dessert one could hope for: pies, custards, puddings, cakes, biscuits and of course, Esmeralda’s famous apple crumble.

Hobbits sat impatiently in their chairs, waiting for the Master to make his speech, hopefully short, and announce the beginning of the feast. Merry, Pippin and Frodo sat at the front table with Saradoc, Esmeralda, Merimac, and Berilac and Ivory. If Berilac was still upset about Pippin’s prank, he gave no indication. At any rate, he seemed more than happy to let it be for the moment as the delightfully delicious fragrance of the food made his mouth water with anticipation.

Saradoc stood up and called the hall to attention. He waited until every eye was upon him before clearing his throat dramatically, seemingly preparing for a good, long speech. But he was kind to his relations and kept the speech extremely short, no more than two lines: “Winter is over, Spring has arrived. Let the Feast begin!”

The hall erupted into cheers and the servants bustled about serving drinks as hobbits eagerly dug into the dishes nearest them and began passing the food around. The Master and his wife were allowed to serve themselves first, but there was no fear of the food running out before everyone got a serving. Frodo piled his plate high and had to restrain himself from eating the apple crumble first.

Talk stopped as they ate their first serving. As people began getting seconds and thirds they began to roam and mingle, both to chat with their friends and to see what food had survived at the other tables. Soon the hall was alive with many conversations. At one point, Frodo was called upon to relate another party of endless vittles, Bilbo’s 111th, and he did so with much zest and fanfare. He had a knack for telling stories and keeping his audience enthralled, just as Bilbo had, though he seldom entertained it. Tonight, however, he seemed more than happy to fill the air with as many stories as they could think to ask for, and even gave them a song or two.

The band arrived at eight o’clock and struck up a tune. Hobbits ran onto the dance floor and requests were called from all angles from the observers. Frodo wrapped up his story of a camping trip he and Bilbo had taken with a couple of Bilbo’s dwarf friends. He was foolishly beginning to think he might escape any matchmaking attempts when he noticed Esmeralda approaching him with Melilot Brandybuck in tow. Of course, his aunt would wait until the dancing to make her move. He braced himself for the inevitable.

“Frodo,” Esmeralda said as they reached him at last. “You remember Melie don’t you?”

“Of course I do,” Frodo said smiling kindly. “Could I interest you in a dance, Melie?”

Melilot smiled sweetly and took his arm. He escorted her to the dance floor, where everyone was lining up for the next number. They danced and chatted companionably for a couple of tunes before he saw Merry and Pippin pointing at him and laughing. He was about to ignore them when he noticed Berilac and a young lad he didn’t recognize sneaking up behind them with a bowl full of fruit punch. A moment later, Pippin was doused and Merry was both scolding Berilac and holding his sides from laughter. Frodo laughed also, glad to see they were enjoying themselves just fine without him.

He turned his attention back to Melilot and tried to appear interested in what she was telling him, something about an embroidery project she and her friends were involved with. He nodded along while he discreetly kept an eye on the clock; he would soon be able to leave and then this would all be over.
 


The Feast had no official end. Folk left when they had their fill and were ready to turn in. Some left to break off into smaller parties in their family quarters or guest rooms. Others would go into the parlors or sitting rooms and continue the party there. Still others would stay in the banquet room, to have fourth or fifth servings as they pretended to help clean up, and a handful more stayed to dance slowly to the band.

Frodo was the first to leave. He made sure Melilot was interacting comfortably with some distant cousins from Standelf, then snuck out of the hall just past ten o’clock. Not long after he left, other folk began to leave the dining hall and the number of revelers slowly dwindled as they scattered throughout the smial. Those who had planned to return home tried to leave, but they quickly returned when the rain that had been threatening all day finally began to fall as a streak of lightning blazoned the sky. Servants scrambled to find them rooms, and many wound up staying on cots in already filled guest rooms, or on divans or settees in their friends’ private residences.

By two o’clock, the only hobbits about were the servants, who walked around making sure everyone was adequately supplied with a blanket and pillow, and tucked in as comfortably as possible for the night. Not all the revelers were asleep however. Many were still talking in whispers and would not go to sleep for another hour more. Others were just lying down to drift off to sleep, while still others had wisely chosen to turn in early and were snoring softly and dreaming sweetly.

Pippin returned with Merry to his room, not wanting to stumble around in the dark of the guest room and run the risk of waking Frodo. He removed his soaked dining suit, imagining with dread the lecture he would receive from his mother if the laundresses failed to get the stains out. He washed as thoroughly as possible at the basin and Merry offered him some sleeping garments.

They climbed into bed and mumbled incoherently of their plans for the next day. They would fetch Frodo early and sneak away before the clean up began. They would go up to Newbury and see what the merchants and traders had to sell. Pippin had some spending money left over from his father he was itching to burn, and Merry wanted to treat them to dinner at the inn there as a surprise for Frodo. They yawned widely and whispered good night as sleep took them at last into peaceful slumber.
 
 

To be continued…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List