Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

GamgeeFest's Keepsakes  by GamgeeFest

Merry and Estella have a new addition to their family.

 
 
 

A Close Call

1431 SR

Merry couldn’t take his eyes off them, his two lasses.

Estella was exhausted from the labor. It’s supposed to get easier the more bairns you have, or so it’s said, but this one had been complicated and Estella nearly lost. If Merry needed any further proof of her state of mind before sinking into slumber, Estella had forgone brushing her unruly locks and they sprang out of her head like so much frayed rope and splintered straw; she always brushed her hair before sleeping, as it made it that much easier to manage in the morning. She lay still, her face pale against the white sheets; the healers had removed all evidence of the struggle before permitting Merry into the room, but he could smell the blood, its copper scent thick in the air.

His little lass, by contrast, was the angry pink of fresh delivery, little flakes of white fuzz clinging all over her wrinkled body. Her pointed head was covered with soft brown hair, limp against the curve of skull. He had yet to see her eyes, but the healer had said they were blue. It would be a while yet before they took on their natural color. Three weeks early, she would have to be watched constantly, but Merry wasn’t worried; her grip was strong and her cry stronger.

Estella had stayed awake long enough to feed her, but only just. Merry had been obliged to remove the bairn once she’d had her fill. He had covered his wife and burped the bairn, and now she slept in his arms, light as feathers but dense as a rock. She breathed softly, her little chest moving up and down in a hypnotizing rhythm. Merry didn’t even notice when the healer returned.

Dismissed back to his duties, he went through the rest of the day in a fog of exhaustion, worry and pride. Pride was most dominant, the exhaustion was evident, and the worry was held in check by pure stubbornness of will. Pippin and Sam would be able to see it, but they weren’t here. Only Pippin and Diamond had been able to arrange to be here, but they hadn’t expected the bairn to come so early and wouldn’t be leaving their homes until next week. Merry would send word to them of course, but they wouldn’t alter their plans to come sooner. Merry could wait.

He returned to his apartment shortly after dinner and shooed away the latest visitors who had come to gawk at the bairn and offer their advice to the new mother. His sons were there. Théodoc and Peridoc were making faces at their new sister, who was happily sleeping through their attentions. Estella was sitting up in bed, pillows propped behind her for support. Her hair had been brushed at some point during the day, and she smiled wanly when she saw him.

Merry bent over the bed and rested a wide hand on her forehead. No longer clammy and cold, but dry and warm, and some color had returned to her cheeks. He could still smell the hints of blood though, and he kissed her brow before she could see the pinch of fear in his eyes. When he trusted his features again, he sat down next to her and took her hand.

“What have we named her then?” Merry asked. “Sollya, is it?” The bluebell vine was Estella’s favorite flower. They’ve had the name picked since she first became pregnant with Peridoc, but she shook her head. “Oh? How come?”

“Melilot stole it,” Estella said with a sigh. “I knew I shouldn’t have told her the name, but I did, and now her lass is Sollya. We can’t have two Sollyas running about the halls.”

“I don’t see why not,” Merry said, but at Estella’s irritated frown, he backed down. He learned long ago not to cross expectant or new mothers. “Have you a different name in mind then?”

“I can’t quite seem to settle on one,” she replied. “Théo! Peri! Stop trying to wake your sister! She doesn’t want to play!” she hissed suddenly.

The lads hastily put down the toy they had been dangling over their sister’s head, but they didn’t leave the cot.

“Let her sleep, lads. Being born is tiring business,” Merry informed them. “We were kind enough to let you sleep after you were born. Now do the same for your sister.”

The lads subsided then, sitting on the floor to play with the toys themselves.

Estella sighed again and stifled a yawn. She needed sleep of her own still, and the constant string of visitors had exhausted what energy she had. “I don’t know how Sam and Rose do it, naming all those bairns of theirs. But then, they just name them after other people, don’t they? Except Elanor.”

Mention of Elanor gave Merry an idea. “What about Niphredil?” he asked. He had told her many times about coming to Caras Galadhon and the white and golden flowers of Lórien. There shouldn’t be an Elanor without a Niphredil, so far as he was concerned.

Estella nodded, giving approval. She had been awed by the drawings Merry had done of the Golden Wood and she remembered the flowers well.

“We’ll have to start working on names for our next bairn,” Estella said, and a small thrill ran down Merry’s back. His breath hitched involuntarily and he didn’t realize he was gripping her hand until she squeezed back. “What’s the matter, love?” she asked.

Merry pulled his eyes off his children and met hers. “I don’t think we need another bairn,” he said, trying for calm and gaining it. “Two brawny lads and a sweet lass. And you. I couldn’t ask for more.” He brushed the fingers of his free hand down her cheek and smiled bravely.

“I’m sorry Merry,” Estella said and tears sprang instantly to Merry’s eyes. Perhaps he couldn’t wait after all. Estella took his other hand and squeezed. “Lads, go find Grandmother and have her read you a bedtime story. Go on, now.”

Théodoc and Peridoc scrambled to their feet, dashed over and gave their parents hugs and kisses good-night. Merry help back his emotions until they were out the door, then the tears spilled from his eyes. Estella held out her arms and Merry was curled against her side a moment later, hugging her tight. So close. It had been so close.

Estella hummed under her breath until Merry calmed. She stroked his hair, neck and shoulders, massaging the sword arm more out of habit than need. The arm hadn’t bothered him in years.

They were both on the verge of sleep when she stirred herself to speak. “You’re right. Two braw lads and a beautiful lass. And you. It’s more than I could have ever hoped for.”

Merry lifted his head and kissed her lips. “Don’t ever scare me like that again,” he demanded.

“No, sir,” she agreed. “I shouldn’t want to be lectured by you if I do.”

He laughed, a huff of breath that eased the tension in his shoulders. “Don’t think you’ve escaped a lecture this time, lass. I plan to sit you down and have a nice long chat once you’re feeling up to it.”

“Is that supposed to be encouragement?” she quipped.

“It is,” Merry said. “It isn’t just anyone who gets the pleasure of hearing my lectures. I work hard on them, and I deliver them with zeal and passion, I will have you know. Don’t believe what you hear from anyone else. I am seldom long-winded.”

“You’re long-winded in a good mood, love. In a foul mood, you’re a veritable maelstrom,” Estella said, giggling. That earned her a tickle and a peck on the cheek. “I look forward to my lecture then, but keep in mind that I pay attention best when you’re massaging my feet.”

“You fall asleep when I massage your feet,” Merry said. “I’ll massage your shoulders.”

“Oh, now that is encouragement,” she agreed.

They kissed again, and Merry relaxed his hold on her. He was nearly asleep again when she spoke. “You’re still in your suit.” Merry hummed. “You’ll get it wrinkled.”

Merry sighed and got out of bed long enough to shed his waistcoat and breeches. He crawled under the covers with his wife and nestled in for a long, sound sleep, the reassuring beat of her heart steady under his ear.

 
 
 
 

GF 02/07/09





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List