Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Do not go gentle into that good night  by frodo16424

I realize this is short, and I apologize. AU.

Ch 3 Plotting

Râsual entered The Black Hart, and waited for his eyes to adjust to the dark interior. He walked over to a rear table and sat down. Having given his order for ale and food, he waited. He was aware that the guardsmen of the Citadel frequented the establishment, and he knew he could gather the information he needed from their gossip.

Again the door opened to admit an older man dressed in the garb of the guard. The man searched the room then spied the one he was seeking. Râsual listened as the two talked.

“Bergil, please convey my apologies to your mother. I have duty tonight, as one of the guards was taken ill. I will be at the Houses of Healing with Lord Faramir should any need arise. However, I know you are capable of attending to any problem that may arise at home. I will be there tomorrow morn.” He smiled at the younger man.

“Aye, Da. I will send your regrets to Ma along with flowers. I have the duty tomorrow night. Is there aught I should be aware?” asked Bergil.

“Nay, I know of nothing. However, make sure you check the guard book for any problems that may arise. Now, let us eat then we will have to depart.” Beregond smiled as his son ate. Bergil had ordered earlier and the two finished their meal in companionable silence.

Bergil broke the silence asking, “Da, any change in Lord Faramir’s condition? I know he was fevered.”

Beregond shook his head, answering with a sigh, “Nay, he is still fevered. The healers are unsure if he will live. It was a grievous wound he received, my son. We can only hope he will recover. He has the best healers, including Lord Elrond. Lord Faramir is a fighter. Ah, well. Time is passing, and I must go. Take care.”

“Aye, you also, Da. It is time for me to leave. I will be certain to tend to your wishes. Take care, Da.” As the two embraced, Bergil whispered, “I love you.” Beregond responded, “And I you.”

As the two departed, another person entered. He searched the room then saw Râsual. He went over and sat down. He motioned for drinks, and waited until they were served.

“Any news?” he asked in a low voice. “Did Huldán do as he promised?”

“Pah! Huldán is a fool. He should have waited until they were alone, not at a public audience. As for the steward, he lives - for now. It appears he is fevered, and the healers do not know if he will live.

“Too long has the blood of our brother cried out for vengeance. I promised him, Telnéth, and I will not be denied.”

Telnéth nodded, saying, “I agree. We must finish what Huldán has started. Have you planned as to how the death of the steward will be accomplished?”

“Aye. It will be by my hand. I will acquaint him with the reason as the deed is done. Come, let us go and I will ready the means of death.” They then departed the inn, Râsual to his rooms, and Telnéth to the stalls of the marketplace to find the articles his brother needed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List