Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Do not go gentle into that good night  by frodo16424

Ch 2 Questions and Answers

Aragorn was heart-sore and mind-weary. It had been an exhausting day, and it was far from over. Faramir lay in the Houses of Healing, fighting for his life. The news had been sent to Éowyn as well as Éomer. He had also sent word to Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth about his nephew.

There was still the matter of the assassin, Huldán. Aragorn knew he needed to interrogate the prisoner. The king also knew he needed a bit of time to calm himself, so the interrogation would proceed in an orderly manner. As he walked through the hall, he noticed it had become dark and dreary. The rain was pouring down as though the Valar themselves were adding their tears for Faramir.

As he neared the cell where Huldán was being held, he motioned for the guard to unlock the door. The guard did so, then retreated to outside the door. Aragorn nodded his thanks and entered.

Huldán merely looked up as his visitor entered. When he saw who it was, he knelt. Aragorn just stared for a few minutes. “Why?” was all he asked.

Huldán stared at the floor, then turned his gaze up at the king. “Money. I did it for the money. It was nothing personal, Sire.”

Aragorn shook his head. “I do not understand. You try to murder my steward. There would be no escape. Your life would be forfeit.”

Huldán agreed, saying, “Aye, but I am already dying. The healers can do nothing for me. I have the sweet sickness. They have told me it is almost time.” He shrugged. “Therefore I had nothing to lose.”

“Your lands are also forfeit. They will go to Faramir as reparation for your deed. Does that not bother you?” Aragorn asked.

Huldán replied, “Nay. Since the land is no longer mine, I care not. My daughter has disobeyed me when she married. She deserves nothing. Her husband is a farmer. Twas not my desire.”

Aragorn asked, “Who was it that paid you? Was anything said as to why they desired the death of Lord Faramir?” He waited as the prisoner debated about answering. When nothing was forthcoming, he told Huldán grimly, “I am a patient man, but I am quickly losing that patience.”

“As to why, it is very simple. Some years ago, Captain Faramir had led the Ithilien Rangers in an ambush on a group of Haradrim as they were marching to Mordor. They had a Mûmak with them. The Ithilien Rangers ambushed them, killing all, including Râsual’s brother. Râsual, himself wounded, was able to hide from the Rangers as they hunted down and killed all.”

Aragorn nodded, he had heard the same tale from both Sam and Frodo, as well as Faramir. “Where is Râsual now? Where is his lodgings?”

“I know not. We would meet at The Black Hart. He was always there waiting for me.” Huldán was unable to meet the gaze of the King. He kept his eyes on the floor.

Suddenly there was a tap on the doorframe. The young guard was holding a blue silk pouch. Aragorn walked over and was handed the pouch. He raised an eyebrow as the guard explained that a messenger had brought it, and told him it was for Lord Huldán. As it was handed over to Aragorn, the jingling of coins could be heard.

As the contents were poured out, there was a piece of parchment inside. Captain Faramir will die.

Aragorn stared as the thirty silver coins glowed blood-red in the rays of the setting sun.

A/N  "sweet sickness" = Diabetes.  The ancient Egyptians were the first to call diabetes the sweet sickness as early as 1500 BC. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List