Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

More Than Cousins  by Pearl Took

V


Nothing seemed to be going right. Through the night and into the next day Eglantine tried every remedy she could remember or find in her books to bring down Pippin's fever but nothing was working very well. He remained hot. She and Pearl alternated, each working for two hours then resting for two hours. But even if Lanti did sleep, it was troubled and unrestful. Finally around tea time Eglantine and Pearl decided that they were going to have to try a cold bath. It was risky, it was a much greater shock to a patient than the cold compresses, but the water soaked towels were not affecting Pippin's fever as well this time.

To everyone's surprise, Paladin said he and Ordegar, Pearl's husband, would handle the bath. "Pippin is in his tweens. It . . . it . . ." Paladin stammered, "well, it wouldn't be proper for his Mother and sister to see him naked. Especially his sister," he said with a sharp, authoritative nod of his head. "It's something he'd want his Father to do, whether you're a healer or not Lanti." It was a poor excuse, Paladin knew it, but it was all he could think of in the few moments he had to speak up. He felt this would be something he could do for his son since he could not bear to be in the lad’s sick-room.

So Pippin's Father and Brother-in-law took over the task of immersing him in the cold water. Paladin carried his son from his bedroom into the bathroom then Ordegar shut the door behind them. Eglantine waited impatiently with the rest of the family outside in the tunnel. This was not where she was accustomed to being and she found the wait nearly unbearable. She paced, acting like her husband had earlier in Pippin’s sickroom, unable to sit still. It seemed forever. She wanted so badly to know what was happening on the other side of the door, but she respected Paladin's request, she remained in the tunnel.

She nearly leapt at Ordegar when he opened the door. Pippin lay in his Father's arms. He was wrapped in a large towel his head resting on Paladin's shoulder.

"Give us a few moments then you can come in." Paladin said as he walked by her heading towards Pippin's room.

When she went in Pippin was laid out on the bed in a fresh night shirt that buttoned well down the front. Paladin was starting to cover him with a sheet and blanket.

"No!" Eglantine's voice was sharp with concern. "No blanket, not even the sheet. The nightshirt can stay for now, but I’m not even sure that he needs that. We need to keep him cool. The only warm thing he needs is the poultice."

Paladin stopped in mid-motion. "But he's so very cold, Dear. His lips and finger nails are still blue. He's still shivering. Surely he needs . . ."

"Surely he needs to stay cool, Paladin. We need to clear his lungs. We have to keep a poultice on his chest without risking his fever returning a third time."

A look of deep concern came to Paladin's face. His wife came to his side and took hold of his hand.

"I know it seems harsh," she said in a soft voice. "But he'll warm up enough from the poultice as it is. He really won't need the extra warmth of a blanket and sheet."

With his free hand her husband pulled her into a hug and she hugged him in return. Paladin's eyes, however, were fixed on Pippin. "I thought I had killed him," he whispered. "He struggled at first, then he went rigid, then limp. I couldn't tell if he was breathing. We had to lift him out of the water a bit so I could listen for his heartbeat. Then his lips and finger nails went blue, his skin was so pale. And the shivering, I could take it no longer, Lanti. I hope we did what is needed." Paladin turned his head to look deep into his wife's eyes. "I don't know how you stand it. I could never be a healer. It was all I could bear."

Eglantine smiled at him. "And I couldn't bear being out in that tunnel waiting." She laid her head on his shoulder. "I couldn't stand not knowing what was happening. I think we each need to stay with what we're accustomed to, Dear." They stood holding each other for a few moments.

Pearl came in with the poultice in her hands. She stopped when she saw her parents embracing. Looking over at her own husband, she smiled. "Mum and Da, why don't the two of you go have some tea. Ordegar can help me get things started and I can handle watching Pippin after that. I know what to do and what to be looking for, Mother. You should have some time together."

" An excellent idea, Pearl!" Paladin said then kissed Eglantine's forehead. "Come with me, Dear. It's about time you had a bite to eat." There was no argument from his wife as he led her out the door.

Lanti's comforting break in her good husband's company did not last long. Toward the end of an hour's time the poultice began to have its effect. Pippin had begun to cough and his Mother was needed to help care for him. For half an hour Pippin shook with deep coughs, this time having the desired effect of clearing some of the congestion from his lungs. When he at last lay still again Eglantine decided to take the poultice off for a while to let his body rest. She covered Pippin with the sheet and light blanket up to his waist, instructed Pearl to begin massaging his chest with the warm herbal oil and went across the tunnel to rest awhile.

Merry had not arrived at Great Smials as early as he had hoped. It was dark and the lights inside the huge smial shone through it's many round windows. As he approached Merry realized that he really didn't feel up to dealing with the whole Took household, he wanted only to see Pippin. He had been thinking only of getting there, not so much about what would happen when he actually arrived. He quietly approached the stable. After checking to make sure no other hobbits were around, he took the saddle and bridle off the pony, bedded him down in a stall then he made his way to Pippin's bedroom window. He stayed to one side, out of the light that shone out, he didn't want to be seen lurking outside. He could see Pippin. Pearl was sitting at his bedside. His heart twisted inside him. Pippin looked terrible, pale and not moving. Just then Pearl laid her head on Pippin's chest. She stayed that way a few moments, when she sat up Merry could tell she was crying. Crying. Merry felt panic rising inside him. She had listened for his heartbeat, now she was crying. He worked the latch and was in the room in one quick movement. In seconds he was off Pippin's desk and over to the bed.

"Is he . . ." Merry began.

"Merry!" Pearl's startled eyes met his. Her face was wet with tears. Merry was just about to start again when he heard what he had missed before, the sounds of Pippin's labored breathing.

"He's breathing!" Merry exclaimed to Pearl. "He's breathing! He's not . . ." He couldn't bring himself to say it. A confused look came to his face. "Then why are you crying Pearl?"

"I'm tired and frustrated, Merry. We were hoping it would be a longer time before the fluid built up in his lungs again. More time for him to rest." Pearl looked sadly at her brother while starting to dry her eyes. "It's only been a short while and, well, you can hear the trouble he's having. I was just going to tell Mum we need to get the poultices ready again." She looked up at Merry. "How did you get in here? I didn't hear the door."

"I . . ." He paused, unsure of revealing his and Pippin's secret latch. "I came in through the window. I've ridden all last night and through the day today to get here as soon as I could. I didn't want to have to work my way through every Took in Great Smials before I got to see Pippin." He looked sheepish, Pearl smiled at him.

"I have to get Mum." She stood, started towards the door then stopped. She turned around. "I know Pippin hit you." She gave Merry a concerned 'motherly' look. "He didn't get your letter, I did. As soon as we get this congestion cleared again, I need to know what happened." Before Merry could answer, she was out the door and gone.

Merry let his breath out slowly. Pearl knew. He hadn't thought about anyone else finding out. He looked down at Pippin. What did it matter if Pearl knew about it? He knelt down by the bed. With his left hand he gently touched Pippin's scarf as tears came to his eyes.

"You've got to get better, Pip," Merry said while he rubbed the scarf between his fingers. "We're a great team, remember? A great team, just like you said. You've got to get better!"

He stayed there a moment looking at his cousin then got to his feet just as Pearl and his Aunt Eglantine came in. Pimpernel was close behind with a bucket of hot water and a few towels draped over her shoulder. The smell of the mustard/onion poultice turned Merry’s stomach. He fought off the feeling, he couldn't get sick, he needed to help with Pippin. He watched as his Aunt and Pearl quickly secured the poultice to Pippin's chest then applied the first hot towel. Only then did his Aunt take the time to look at him.

"Merry, Pearl told me you were here! I'm so glad." She came around the bed to give him a firm hug. "I've been hoping you would come, in spite of your party." She let him go, returning her attention to Pippin. She checked the temperature of the towel. "This needs replacing already Pearl. It's cold in here."

Merry looked toward the window, he had left it open in his haste to get to Pippin's side. "I'll get that!" he said, quickly going to the window, shutting and latching it. "It must have blown open, it's windy out tonight."

His Aunt just nodded before turning back to her work. Time passed. Merry helped with fetching the hot water and wringing out towels. Suddenly Pippin began to cough. Hard racking coughs that to Merry sounded horrible. Between the smell of the poultice and the terrible sounds, Merry started to feel sick again. It was Pearl who noticed that he looked nearly as pale as Pippin did. She went to him, took him by the arm and started leading him to the door.

"No Pearl!" He meant to shout but it came out weakly. Pearl had him out the door and into the room across the tunnel before he knew it. Paladin looked up to see Pearl rushing Merry to the bed in the room, nearly shoving him onto it.

"Lay still Meriadoc and don't you try to get up!" She ordered as she undid the clasp on his cloak to move it off his chest and shoulders. He hadn't bothered to take it off earlier. She unbuttoned his jacket. "Get your arms out of those sleeves." He didn't dare argue. Soon Merry’s jacket and cloak were on the floor. Pearl felt his face with the back of her hand then she sighed, relaxing a bit.

"I thought you might be fevered, I know at least that you're feeling faint and queasy." She had Merry sit up, put an extra pillow behind him, plumped the two pillows a bit, then gently pushed him back. "We didn't need you fainting in there Merry. Da, could you go get Merry something to eat and drink, please. I have the feeling he hasn't had much of either today."

"I'll be happy to. It is good to see you here, Nephew. I'll be back shortly." Paladin came over, patted Merry on the shoulder, then left.

Pearl brought a chair over to sit down next to Merry. He looked at her with a hurt expression in his dark blue eyes.

"I don't want to be here Pearl, I want to be with Pippin!" He sounded like a whiney little boy, instead of a hobbit who would soon turn thirty-three. Pearl grinned. She halfway expected him to pout.

"And do what?" she asked him in a teasing voice. "Get sick to your stomach? Faint?"

Merry hung his head. "I need to be with him, Pearl, I just need to."

Pearl took his hand holding it between both of hers. "I know Merry, it's why you rode so hard to get here, but you'll be no help like this. Eat something, and while you eat you can tell me what happened. Then I want you to rest for three hours." Merry started to protest but she put her fingers to his lips. "No, no arguments. Three hours is much less than you need but it should help for a while. You are obviously tired as well as hungry. Later, maybe, we can put a cot for you in Pippin's room."

The mention of a cot in Pippin's room seemed to ease his mind a bit. Paladin came in carrying a tray with soup, bread and cheese, along with a mug of hot camomile tea. He placed the tray on Merry's lap, affectionately tousled Merry's hair, then left the two cousins alone.

Pearl watched in silence for a while as Merry ate. Then she cleared her throat. "What happened, Merry?"

He stopped with the spoon halfway to his mouth, then slowly set it back down in the bowl. "I was having a terrible time. I was worried about my Dad dying. I was scared of coming of age and having to be Master of Buckland. I thought I would have to quit running around with Pippin and I'd be all alone." He looked at Pearl with weary eyes. "I kept it all inside when I should have talked to my Dad and Pippin about it. I got more and more frightened, more and more angry. Then, we were talking and Pip mentioned my party. He sounded all happy and . . ." he looked down and his head drooped, "and it all just came out of me at once. All the anger, fear and frustration. I was saying horribly mean things to him in this horrible cold, nasty voice. He tried to walk away but I pulled him back and just kept insulting him." Merry looked once again into Pearl's eyes. He had tears running down his face. "He hit me in the stomach and knocked the breath out of me. Then he walked away without saying a word." He turned his head away, no longer able to look at Pearl. "I was cruel to him. I deserved what I got."

"Pippin only blamed himself, not you." Pearl said softly. "He tried to write to you but ended up throwing all of his attempts on the floor. He felt so badly about hitting you. He was so sick. When I first found him in his room, he was acting so strangely I thought he had gone mad." She reached over to rub Merry's shoulder. "All you both want is the other's forgiveness. It will work out Merry, you'll get it all settled and you two will be close again, like nothing ever happened."

"I hope so, Pearl," Merry said, his voice starting to sound sleepy. Pearl stood up and took the tray from his lap. She helped him lay down. He was asleep before she had finished tucking the covers under his chin.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List