Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

More Than Cousins  by Pearl Took

IV

Dearest Pippin,

I need very badly to talk to you about all that happened today. For that matter, about how I've been behaving the past month or so. I don't know how you put up with me for as long as you did, I'm sure I couldn't have done so if things had been the other way around. You deserve to know everything. I should have talked to you a long time ago. I more than deserved what happened, in fact, it was actually a good thing you did it. I'll explain everything to you. Please come with your family to my party. I'm alright with having my party and all now. I want to talk to you face to face not in a letter. Please come. Please forgive me.

                                Apologetically and hoping you'll come,

                                Merry

Merry's letter lay open on Pearl's lap. Reading it hadn't helped as much as she had hoped, but it wasn't entirely fruitless. Apparently, yes; Pippin had hit Merry. Merry's, "I more than deserved what happened . . ." made that much clear. But what Merry had done to deserve such a thing, Pearl had no idea. Pippin had been desperately trying to apologize to Merry, she could tell that by what she had pieced together of the papers he had thrown on the floor. Both of them seemed to blame only himself for what had happened, granting the other full pardon. She sighed and rubbed her temples. Well, Merry would soon find out that Pippin would not be coming to his party. No one from Great Smials would be there. The messages had gone out last night, first to Hobbiton, as it was the closest town outside Tookland, then all over the Shire from there. Messages bearing the news to relatives and friends that there was someone gravely ill at Great Smials. She sighed again as she stood up. Pearl gathered up Pippin's papers and Merry's letter then put them into the hidden cubbyhole in her desk. She needed to check back with her Mother. She would be needing help with Pippin again. A long hard day stretched ahead of them all. She gave another glance back at the cubbyhole, then went out the door.

The kitchen smelled oddly. A strange combination of herbs was in various stages of preparation. Eglantine wiped the back of her hand across her damp forehead, brushing her brown curls aside. Pervinca was keeping watch over Pippin so Lanti and Pearl could get ready the medicines needed to clear the congestion in Pippin's lungs. Mustard and onions for the poultices to break up the congestion. Thyme, Rosemary and Arnica in warm oil to ease the muscle aches in his chest and back that the coughing would cause. If he started coughing. If the poultices worked. If. There was a great deal of "if" to being a healer. One often felt rather helpless, more so it always seemed when the patient was kin. And then there was the concern that the heat from the poultices and warm oil rubs would bring back his fever. Then the fight to clear his lungs would give way once again to the fight to break his fever. Lanti squared her aching shoulders.

"Pearl dear," she said, "I'm finished with this poultice. Come with me to Pippin's room. Pimpernel, come along with a bucket of that hot water. There's more water heating in the fireplace in Pippin's room and the room across the tunnel from his as well as in here. Hopefully we'll be able to keep up with what we need to keep the poultice warm. Pearl, grab some of those towels to soak in the hot water." With that Eglantine and her daughters headed down the tunnels to Pippin's room.

The battle began. The hot poultice was bound to Pippin's chest with strips of cloth then a hot towel was placed on top. The towel would be replaced as soon as it began to cool even the slightest bit. The heat and moisture kept the mustard and onion releasing their vapors. Some of the benefits of the poultice came from breathing in the vapors, others from keeping his chest heated. Both worked together, loosening the phlegm and opening the passages in his lungs. If it all worked as planned he would start coughing then they would roll him onto his side so he wouldn't choke on the phlegm the coughing would hopefully bring out of his lungs. Eglantine's Mother had seen it happen once where a patient died choking on what he had coughed up. That would not happen to her Pippin!

They all worked. The servants helped with hauling the water to refill the kettles, keeping an eye on which kettles were boiling then filling the buckets to take the water to the sick room. Pippin's youngest sisters insisted that they help their brother so anything going into or out of Pippin's room, they themselves carried. Pearl, being under her Mother's tutorage as a healer, was helping by packing the new poultice when it was time to change them. She also kept the rubbing oil at the right temperature for when it was needed. Twice, late in the afternoon, Pippin had begun coughing. Pearl and his Mum quickly rolled him to his side. But the coughing wasn't as productive as they had hoped, his breathing was still labored.

Through the day other members of the family had come in to help, as Eglantine and her daughters had needed to rest lest they become ill themselves. But either Lanti or Pearl were always there at Pippin's side, the burden of being healers. Paladin had tried but, as when he was younger, he simply could not stay long in a sick room. And somehow, this seemed worse than it had ever been. He felt that he should be by his son's side yet he just couldn't bear seeing him looking so frail, listening to him gasping for each breath. Paladin simply had to take reassurance from knowing that the scarf that had once been his own was still around Pippin's neck, a bit of himself touching his son. He hoped that somehow Pippin knew the scarf was there and that it brought him comfort. Through the weary day he stayed in the room across the tunnel from Pippin's room. When his wife took her naps, she went there. Paladin put cool cloths on her forehead, humming gentle songs to her as she slept. He felt that by helping her rest he would be helping Pippin. Then, while the day turned slowly into night, as Eglantine had feared it would, Pippin's fever returned. The poultice, with its hot towels was taken away. The oil cloth was placed beneath him again while the buckets that Pimpernel and Pervinca carried into the room were once again filled with the icy cold water form the spring on the north side of Great Smials.

Merry arrived at the Bridge Inn a bit earlier than he had expected to. As he dismounted, he noticed that his pony was badly lathered. He suddenly realized that he had pushed the little fellow a bit too hard, no wonder he had gotten here so quickly. Merry had just finished giving instructions to Rob, the stable boy, when one of the Messenger Service riders came at a gallop into the stable yard. He pulled his pony to a sliding stop, leapt off and turned to the stable boy.

"My fresh pony and be quick! It's urgent business I'm on today and I've no time to dawdle!" The Messenger Rider turned to start removing the saddle and bridle from his weary pony. It was then he noticed Merry standing there.

"Master Merry! Fancy meeting you right now. It's Brandy Hall I'm headin’ to. Might you be willin’ ta take the message? Then I could head on into Rushy and that would be savin’ me some time."

"I'd be happy to, Toby, though I'd planned to spend the night here and be on my way to the Hall in the morning."

"That won't do then Master Merry, this message is urgent, as I said to Rob, it's to be at the Hall as soon as can be done."

"What's so urgent?"

"The message came at about midnight to Hobbiton from Great Smials. It's sad news Master Merry." Toby Chubb took a deep breath. "It's your cousin, it's young Master Pippin . . ."

"Pippin!" Merry grabbed the startled young hobbit by his shoulders. "What about Pippin?"

"He's bad sick, maybe dyin' some are sayin’."

"Pippin," Merry said softly. He thought he might faint. Holding onto Toby for the moment was all that was keeping Merry from falling. While he had been having a pleasant, if hurried, ride along the East Road, Pippin had become deathly ill. Suddenly, Merry remembered that Pip had tried to stay home the morning of their argument, saying he felt too tired to go lifting apples. He remembered Pippin coughing as he got dressed and a few more times as they were on their way to the orchard. He realized his cousin had been ill that morning. "I'll take the message to the Hall, Toby, I'll leave now. Rob!" He called to the stable boy. "I need a pony immediately! Just put it on our bill. Hurry!"

"You need also tell your parents, Master Merry, that Tooks of Great Smials won't be coming to your party. They'll none of them leave with, Master Pippin ill."

"That's as it should be. I won't be at my party either, so I suppose there won't be one at all," Merry said. "As soon as I've been to the Hall I'll be heading to Great Smials."

Toby nodded. Their fresh ponies were brought and they both mounted to race out of the yard at a full gallop.

In the depth of night they came to Stock, getting fresh ponies at the Messenger Service post. Merry could hardly bear it whenever they had to slow to a trot, but the ponies couldn't run the whole way. There was simply no way to get there any faster. A short way on from Stock, they came to the road that led to the Buckleberry Ferry, then on to Brandy Hall. They parted company at this point, Merry turning left on the Ferry Road and Toby going on straight to Rushy. Finally Merry reached the ferry, crossed the Brandywine River then continued on as fast as the pony could manage to the Hall.

Things at Brandy Hall couldn't be more hectic. Anyone who was even mildly related to the Brandybucks was coming to Merry's coming of age party. Many were traveling quite a distance so on top of all the work for the party there was also guest rooms to be tidied up and beds needing freshening. It was to be the grandest event that had happened in the Shire since The Party, when old Bilbo Baggins turned eleventy-one then had mysteriously disappeared.

Esmeralda Brandybuck sang a little song to herself as she took the batch of tarts out of the oven. These were her special recipe tarts, she allowed no one else to make them. She had been up before dawn and these tarts were the first batch of the day, but definitely not the last. Merry was her pride and joy. Life had allowed her only one child so she intended that he received the best that she and Saradoc could provide. So yes, she had to admit that Merry was a bit spoiled. And the way he and her nephew Pippin behaved! She chuckled to herself. They were the terrors of the Shire. But everyone knew they were lovable lads in spite of their tricks and occasional thievery. They were as quick to help someone in need as they were to cause trouble. And their fathers made sure they were punished for their misdeeds . . . if and when they managed to catch them. She smiled. Soon such behavior would be behind Merry as he started to take on more of the responsibilities of handling the affairs of Buckland. Yes his coming of age would be a grand occasion.

"Mum! You in the kitchen, Mum?!"

Esme turned to look where the door out to the herb garden stood open. Merry rushed straight to her, enveloping her in a hug. He hadn't hugged her so tightly in a long time. He was crying. Not just crying, sobbing hard like a child might do. She returned his hug while patting him on the shoulder.

"Merry? Merry? What's wrong dear?"

He just held her tighter. It was quite awhile before his hold on her loosened and he pulled back a bit to look at her.

He took in a quick deep breath. "Pippin's sick again, Mum. Rumor is he might be dying. I met up with Toby Chubb. He was on his way here with the message from Great Smials."

"Pippin . . ." Esme whispered. Merry helped her to a nearby chair. Her hand shook a bit as she grasped the edge of the table to steady herself. She looked up at her son.  Her face had paled, her eyes were filling with tears. "I need to go at once, Paladin and Lanti will need me." Then her hand came up to her mouth as she gasped. "Your party Merry! What can we do about your party? There is no time to tell everyone not to come."

"You can send out messages before you leave. If they don't reach folks on time they can just stay here at the Hall if they wish." Merry bent over to look his Mother in the eye. "I have to go now, right away. I can't wait about for you and whoever else to get ready to go."

Esmeralda hugged her son tightly. "Of course. I wouldn't expect anything else Merry." She said into his ear. She gave him a squeeze then let him go. "You are not leaving without having a bite to eat while I pack some food for you to take with you."

"Alright," Merry said as he headed for the door. "But please be quick with it, Mum. I'm going to the stables to get a fresh pony, have it all ready for when I'm done," he said as he went out the door.

Esme got right to work but her mind was not at all on what she was doing, it was on her brother Paladin. What was this doing to her brother? He loved his daughters dearly but Pippin was special. His heir, yes, but more than that. Paladin was Pippin's hero, the boy would go on and on about how wonderful his Father is, and Pippin was Paladin's joy. The brightness and merriment of his son had lightened her brother's personality. Paladin had always been a bit serious for a Took, having Pippin about had helped him to not be so close. Paladin never did well whenever Pippin fell ill. He was always so awkward when any of the family had been ill when they were growing up. Whatever would he do if, perish the thought, they lost Pippin, if that light in his life was extinguished? Esmeralda had no answer to this but she dreaded the possibilities. She looked off into space a few moments then lifted her chin and pulled back her shoulders. No, she wouldn't allow herself to keep thinking these thoughts. Pippin had grown into a strong young hobbit, he would be alright. Yes, that was how it would go. He'd probably be on the mend by the time Merry arrived, up and about shortly thereafter when she got to Great Smials. Yes. It would be that way she told herself, then she sighed, at least she fervently hoped it would.

Merry came back out of breath and smelling somewhat of the stable. A bowl of hot porridge sat on the table with the cream pitcher beside it. It was just as well that it had sat there a short bit as Merry made no effort to cool it, putting large spoonfuls into his mouth, nearly swallowing them whole. His Mother finished up packing the lunch of bread, cheese and cold ham. Two freshly filled water bottles also stood ready for Merry to take.

"You must remember to tell your Aunt and Uncle that we will be there as soon as we possibly can. Your Father and I will both come, Merry, I feel that will be best." Esmeralda said as she put the last water bottle into the pack then tied the strings that closed it.

Merry stood and she helped him with putting on the pack. He turned once more holding her in a strong hug.

"I'm sorry about the party, Mum. I know you've worked so hard on it, but you know I have to go." His voice was shaky.

"You know I feel this as much as you do, Merry. I have to go to my brother as much as you to your cousin." She gave him a squeeze then pushed him away from her. "Go on now, ride as fast as you can. Tell them, tell my brother and sister, that we will be there soon. Now go!"

Merry kissed his Mum on her forehead then ran out the door. In mere seconds he mounted the pony and was off at a full gallop.

He paced the pony as best he could but he just could not slow down. The pony was lathered and stumbling as he reached the first Messenger Service post. He received a reprimand from the stable hand about mistreating the ponies. And what was he doing wanting one of their ponies anyway? He was no Messenger Rider! Merry hastily explained the situation. The older hobbit apologized, immediately saddling up a fresh pony for Merry to use. No hobbit of the Shire would have denied Merry help on such an errand.

Merry rode and rode, stopping only at the posts to change mounts. He did drink all of one of the water bottles his Mother had sent, but he ate very little. He simply wasn't hungry. All of him was focused on getting to Pippin. He felt badly for the poor ponies he was riding. He did manage to not ride the others as hard as he had the first, but still they were sweaty and tired when they got to each post. He wanted to be at Great Smials before nightfall.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List