Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

With Hope  by AfterEver

*******

The knock on her door came too early in the morning to be good news. Jolting out of bed, Gilraen immediately began to dress, calling "Come in!" even as she raced to open the door herself.

On the other side stood an Elf looking mildly affronted, one hand drawn away as if from a hot stove. "I was coming. And there is no need to shout."

"You'll have to excuse me," said Gilraen, sympathizing little. Only Telmoth could wake someone at this hour and still fuss over etiquette. "I feared something were amiss. But--" Just as Gilraen took in the garb that Telmoth wore, she stepped aside gesturing that she came not alone.

"I have just ridden in. You are right that something is amiss."

Gilraen darted into the hallway. Elrond stood there, as she knew he would; Telmoth held her tongue for none other. "Tell me plainly, I beg you," said Gilraen, come close enough to read his face in the dimness. "Has something befallen my son?"

He raised his hands. "No."

That one word broke the tension, and she slumped forward, dizzy for relief. "I feared--" the worst, she could not finish. When arms came around her, it seemed easier to breathe, to think, amid the warmth. Telmoth moved then to stand within view. "Tell me your tidings."

The Elf glanced up before replying, "Alas, the Dúnedain commander, Valcirion, has perished. He is survived by his wife and children, and will be succeeded by Gilbarad. Your kinsmen mourn, but send to you their good wishes."

Gilraen allowed herself a deep breath before stepping back to meet Elrond's eyes. "How did he fall?"

"He had taken to sickbed, so Telmoth was told."

After a moment, she said, "That is a strange end for a man of his high lineage, despite getting on in age. I remember from my youth how he was always so hale! Save for these last few years as I heard, but even falling ill on occasion, for him to die, to die--"

Telmoth interrupted, "Come now, Gilraen, you have begun to shiver. Let us get you something warmer to wear than that shift. If you must be treated for exposure, I will never be permitted to forget this night." To Elrond, she said, "We release you to your obligations, Master."

Gilraen was back inside her room, robed, and seated before she realized it. Telmoth continued then, "Elrond did not wish to wake you. I insisted on your behalf. Was I right in adjudging that this is as you would have it?"

Unbidden memories came, of the night when she learned of Arathorn's death. The sound of hoofbeats had awoken her, but she did not mark the hour; just knew that two horses approached when there should only be one. She came with dread to see beyond the bedroom window Arathorn's riderless horse, and grim-faced Gilbarad dismounting. A moment later, they stood one on each side of the threshold.

"You are a widow."

"Your wife is not. Go to her." They made no eye contact before she closed the door. In the bedroom, she watched Aragorn sleep, and in the poor light, strove to memorize every inch of his face, that the memory of Arathorn's be less vivid thereby.

Presently, she sat upon an empty bed. Estel had long since slept in his own room. It occurred to her, not for the first time, that without him she would be alone.

Telmoth spoke again, "You were close to this man, Valcirion. His widow spoke fondly of you."

"I knew them better in my youth, ere I married and left my family's home. I befriended their last child, a daughter close to my age, and their oldest son had children that I would look after."

"I am sorry for your loss, and that of his family."

"My uncle has a son now, seven years old already. If Gilbarad is to take Valcirion's place--" Gilraen blinked, sat straighter. "I'm sorry, I'm rambling. I never asked of your family, Telmoth. You stayed in Lothlórien for years, were you visiting relatives?"

"My relatives left these shores long ago, one way or another." The Elf lit the lamp sitting at the bedside, and made to leave. "It is good to be home," she said by the door. Referring to Rivendell or to the West, Elvenhome, Gilraen knew not.

***

-clang!-

"I have not seen him," replied Glorfindel, all sincerity.

Which did not exactly answer Gilraen's question, so she rephrased, "Can you tell me where he is?"

The Elf was again focused upon his task, plunging the horseshoe he shaped into a basin of water, and spoke haltingly over the hissing steam, "I fear not." Then he ducked away to where Asfaloth waited nearby and checked the shoe's fit.

Gilraen considered her next words, saying when he returned, "Can you tell me how I might find him?"

He paused, opened and closed his mouth, then smiled. "Elrond was unspecific in this, so I shall say, 'I do not know'."

And we shall be here all day, Gilraen did not reply, trying to rub away the ache from her head.

Glorfindel must have noticed. With a nod to the forge he said, "This heat is insufferable, I know."

He was absorbed in his work again, and she said truthfully, "It's not the heat." Rather this: that daylong she had sought for Elrond to no avail, that among the household no one knew more but said less than Glorfindel, that it had happened similarly in the past, and that it would happen again. Unless she confronted Elrond with her displeasure. 'As your humble guest, I regretfully must insist that you be available to me at any time every day. You know how I worry. Lord.' Yes, Gilraen deemed herself as likely to say so this time as the last time or the next time.

"Well!" Holding up the prepared horseshoe, Glorfindel assessed it once more, and seemed satisfied at last. "I am finished here at last."

She followed him out to where Asfaloth waited, through waiting for her own part. Over the noise of the shoe being nailed in place, she said, "I have spoken with the stablemaster, and he said a horse will be made ready for me within the hour. Also I have left Telmoth with word of my leaving, though she should find no duties of mine unresolved. At this time of year, Ronduir holds the first outpost, and when I-- what?"

He had straightened and turned to face her, no mirth discernible in the sudden keenness of his gaze. "You would forego speaking first with Elrond, before carrying through with your plans?" Taken aback by his changed mood, Gilraen did not answer at once. His voice softened when he said, "Please, reconsider. I believe he would have words with you, and should like to see you off."

"That is as I would prefer it. But knowing not of his whereabouts or when he is expected to return, I feel compelled not to tarry on account of my ignorance." She paused, if Glorfindel would surrender any pertinent information. After his silence, she shrugged. "And since I cannot ask his counsel, I know not that he would say other than 'farewell'."

Glorfindel's smile reappeared. "Yet I have seldom known Elrond to say quite so little!"

"Maybe he would wonder at my hesitation. I would be loath to seem negligent of my duties thereby."

"I think that doubtful, but I doubt not that he would wonder at your absence."

About to respond, Gilraen noticed how Glorfindel seemed ready to do likewise, and could not but suspect that he knowingly stalled her. She sighed. "I must remember to discuss with him such situations as this, so as to better guess his opinion in the future if need be."

"Well, Elrond is not so unpredictable. For instance, what if you were to ask him, 'Should I depart, Master, without your blessings?'"

Gilraen smiled in turn. "He would give me that look of his, the one that makes me feel as a small child, and I would realize the foolishness of such a question."

"Then wait but a while; you may see that look soon enough!" With that, Glorfindel went back to his work, and began to sing a merry song. Its echo followed Gilraen back to the house, where she returned to make one last preparation.

In front of a mirror, she sat to braid her hair as suitable for a long ride on horseback. "Should I depart, lord, without your blessings?" She leaned forward, studying herself. "Should I remain, and assume it is free at the asking?"

***

Coming some time later into the stable, Gilraen was surprised to see Elrond dismounting ahead. An ostler stood ready to lead the puffing steed away; Elrond remained in place, looking at the horse waiting saddled with Gilraen's gear.

Approaching the mare, she secured another bundle, imagining 'that look' upon her back. "I had no idea you had gone, or where," she said, trying to sound more convincing than annoyed.

"I had no idea you would go this soon," he said.

"Well, not without your blessings, of course, but I assumed--"

"Of course.

Relief faded to disbelief that he posed no argument, indeed no conditions. Gilraen turned a suspecting eye on the Half-elf. Besides his seeming innocence, she noticed that he was somewhat soiled, disheveled. Behind him, the horse he had ridden in on partook of a long drink. "No leisurely ride have you returned from."

He raised his eyes as she clumsily amended the statement, for she had no reason to deduce that he had taken a leisurely ride, save that in her irritation it seemed most likely; but that forgotten irritation being unmentionable, she simply stuttered until changing the subject.

"So I mean to be back before Estel returns."

"Ten days will see you to the Angle and back, certainly. I shall look for you both at that time."

Together they walked outside, Elrond speaking the condolences he wished to have relayed, and Gilraen listening intently. As such, she did not notice Glorfindel waiting outside the doors until after she had mounted. He appeared prepared for an excursion of his own, the plain clothes he wore earlier replaced with garb suitable for riding, and Asfaloth laden with traveling bags.

As she sat considering the unlikelihood of this coincidence, Asfaloth pranced closer of his own volition, then circled. Glorfindel sighed at the display. "Yes, yes, we see you!" More impressed than his master, the horse shook his mane and pawed the ground. Glorfindel said to Gilraen, "This one is such a braggart, so proud of his new shoes that he must show them to everyone within view. And your fine mare has been eyeing the boundaries for days, hopeful of a good journey. Fit companions, us four!"

She turned from the Elf to Elrond, who looked predictably unmoved. Or unmovable. No sooner had Gilraen opened her mouth than Elrond said, "You had not thought to travel alone."

Most Elves phrased questions as statements more often than not, as if to spare Gilraen the need for her presence; not only was Elrond good enough to reveal the right answer by his choice words, but also he waited for response. "Actually, I had," she said.

He nodded in such an indulgent, knowing manner that she felt three feet high, and as many years old. "The road is days long, Gilraen, perilous without an escort. Glorfindel knows well its dangers."

"Yet the road is watched closely at this season, by your people and mine." Seeing that fail to affect, she added, "Telmoth rides alone."

"Telmoth is a warrior," said Elrond, somehow both sterner and plainer.

She glanced to Glorfindel, noting the engraved sheath of a sword amongst his gear in contrast to the white cloak gathered to one side. His looks were deceptive, as any who had watched him in the sparring ring would know; still, she fancied the Angle ill suited to lodge an Elf-lord in comfort comparable to the House of Elrond. "I know it is not ideal, my traveling alone-- I only hoped not to cause an inconvenience, and to leave as soon as may be."

"But it is my pleasure, and we may depart forthwith." Glorfindel bowed his head.

Elrond said, "And it is my desire."

Gilraen looked from Elf to Half-elf. Between them, no hint of surprise, nothing to indicate that anything she had said or done struck either unexpectedly. It occurred to her that Elrond, having just returned, must have consulted Glorfindel, assigned him to accompany her, before Elrond rode away this morning, before Gilraen had spoken to anyone of her intentions. Before even I had decided?

She nodded at last, if Elrond waited for it. "As you wish." He smiled then, and followed to bless them at the beginning of their road. For long after, Gilraen could only shake her head with pursed lips. Elves!

*******

Notes:
*Naturally, the death of Valcirion (being a non-canonical character) is not a canonical element.

*******





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List