Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Kind of Courage  by Auntiemeesh

Chapter Nineteen: Turn and Turn About
beta provided by Pipspebble

Aragorn thought another visit to the stream was an excellent idea. "The fresh air will do you both good," he pronounced when Merry proposed the idea the next morning. "In fact, I was planning to have Pippin spend some time outside today, anyway. I would like him to have a chance to walk about in the sun and gain some color in his cheeks."

"Is it safe for him to walk that far, do you think?" Merry asked, voicing his only concern. "He hasn’t done much walking yet, except the little bit you’ve allowed him, and that only in the tent."

"He should be fine as long as you take it slow," Aragorn reassured the hobbit. "My main concern these last few days has been the dizziness which was left over from the blow to his head. He’s been doing very well, and has learned to go slow and be careful of sudden movements. He may tire easily, but I don’t foresee any problems with a him taking a short walk."

Merry relaxed, allowing Aragorn’s reassurance to ease his concern. "He mentioned wanting to see Frodo and Sam. If we go there first and rest for a time, that should make the walk easier, as well."

Aragorn nodded. "I will ask Legolas to accompany you, also. If Pippin should tire too much or get dizzy, I don’t want you trying to bring him back on your own."

Merry readily agreed, and from there it took very little time for final arrangements to be made. While Merry carried out his duties to the king of Rohan, Legolas would escort Pippin to the beech grove. Merry would meet them there and they would go on to the stream together. Aragorn would see to it that a picnic lunch was prepared and delivered at the appropriate time.

Feeling quite cheerful, Merry whistled one of his favourite springtime songs as he headed off to Eomer’s tent. He was feeling rather less cheerful a few hours later. His duties this day had consisted of standing by Eomer’s side while the king met with various people. He was occasionally called upon to fill a wine glass or talk a bit about hobbits or the Shire, but mostly he just stood. At first he paid close attention to the way Eomer spoke and handled various situations, knowing this was an invaluable chance to learn how others governed, which could stand him in good stead when he took up the Mastership of Buckland. Most of Eomer’s talk was of the distribution of horses and such, however, and Merry’s attention waned after an hour or so. By the time he was dismissed he had a rather large headache. He was also very hungry, as he’d been called upon to serve Eomer during the king’s lunch, but had not had a chance to eat anything himself.

Rubbing at his temple as he walked, he headed back to his tent to change out of his uniform before going on to meet Legolas and Pippin. He quickly shucked off his leather jerkin and his livery and dressed in his plain breeches and tunic, but buckled his new sword around his waist before leaving. He was already getting reacquainted with the feel of a sword at his side and found himself loathe to leave it behind.

As Merry approached the beech grove, he was surprised to see Legolas approaching, alone, from another direction.

"Hoy, Legolas!" he called quietly.

"Hello, Merry," the elf greeted him. "How fare you, today?"

"I am well, thank you," Merry paused just a moment. "Forgive me for being so blunt, but where is Pippin? He is not in our tent and I thought he was to be with you."

The elf smiled. "He is inside. I took him off Gimli’s hands an hour or so ago, and brought him here to visit with Frodo and Sam. He requested some time alone with them, so I’ve been seeing to a few things and now I’ve returned."

Merry flushed slightly, knowing he must seem overprotective to the others, but unable to help himself. Nonetheless, he was reassured by Legolas’ explanation. "That is good. He should have had time enough by now to say the things he wanted to say. Shall we join him?"

The two friends entered the tent quietly and paused at the sight that greeted them. Pippin had climbed onto the bed, lying in the same spot that Merry frequently occupied when visiting the two sleeping hobbits. Much like him, Pippin had fallen asleep and looked quite cozy, nestled in between the other two.

Merry couldn’t help but smile as he turned to Legolas. "I suppose our picnic can wait an hour or so."

Legolas smiled back. "Yes, I suppose it can." The elf gestured to the table. "Would you care to play a game of draughts while we wait? I understand it’s quite a popular game with hobbits."

A glint came to Merry’s eyes as he glanced speculatively at the board. "Yes, I suppose I could be talked into a game or two as we wait." Just then his stomach rumbled loudly, reminding him that he’d missed lunch and that the picnic had been delayed.

Legolas laughed, a gentle silvery laughter that filled the tent with a sense of joy. "You’ll wake Pippin with that growling. I suppose it would be best to find you something to eat before you become desperate and decide to find out what elf tastes like."

Fortunately, there was a small tray of food that was kept filled for whichever guardian was in the tent with the recovering hobbits. Merry helped himself to a small loaf of bread and a fat carrot as Legolas set up the game.

The hobbit and the elf were well into their second game when Pippin began to stir. Legolas had found Merry an able opponent, but the elf had been playing this game and variants on it for long hundreds of years and had outwitted Merry in the first game. Now Merry was concentrating intently on his next move, determined not to let Legolas beat him a second time. He was, therefore, almost disappointed when Pippin sat up, running his fingers through his hair and blinking fuzzily.

"Hullo, Merry, Legolas," he murmured. "How long have I slept?"

"Not much more than an hour," Merry answered absently, chewing on his thumb as he mentally tried and discarded several moves. Ah, he thought in triumph, moving one of his pieces and capturing one of Legolas’ that had been worrying him. Flashing the elf a grin, he turned his full attention to Pippin.

"Are you feeling rested?" he asked casually.

"Yes," Pippin responded. "I see why you find it so soothing to come here. I had no intention of sleeping, mind you, but it did seem so tempting to just lie down and close my eyes for a moment." His eyes took on a wistful expression and he laughed softly. "It reminds me very strongly of that stand of beech trees along the Water in Hobbiton. You remember it, Merry. It’s a very restful, peaceful place, and I always fall asleep there."

"I know where you mean," Merry replied. "I hadn’t thought of it before but you’re right, of course. Frodo showed me that stand of trees when I was very young, shortly after he had moved to Bag End. We had a picnic by the riverbank and played in the water all afternoon. Or rather, I played in the water all afternoon. Frodo splashed about for a bit and then found a nice, sunny spot to take a nap. Got a dreadful sunburn, if I remember correctly." Merry smiled fondly as he looked over at his sleeping cousin. "Such an appropriate place for him to be resting now, don’t you think?"

"Merry?" Legolas called his name quietly to get his attention. "It is your turn, unless you would like to call it a draw? I’m sure that Pippin is hungry, and I know that carrot was not nearly enough to assuage your hunger."

At the mention of food, Merry’s stomach growled again, loudly, and he laughed. "A draw it is, but only if we can continue this another time. The honor of the Shire is at stake."

The game was quickly put away and the three friends departed the tent. Legolas led them at a leisurely pace, carefully matching his stride to that of Pippin’s. The younger hobbit was well rested and able to walk at a good pace, if not what it would have been under normal circumstances. As they approached the spot along the stream where they had picnicked before, Merry turned to approach the water, only to be stopped by Legolas.

"I thought you might like to see another place I’ve found. It’s just a bit further up the stream."

First reassuring himself that Pippin was able to keep going, Merry shrugged in agreement and rejoined the other two. He saw a hint of something in Pippin’s face that told him the younger hobbit was just as glad to move on, away from this spot. Puzzled, Merry mulled this thought over for a few minutes, until he was distracted by Pippin’s hand on his arm.

"Look, Merry."

Merry lifted his gaze and nearly gasped aloud at the sight he beheld. Legolas had brought them to a large meadow, through which the stream ran in happy little leaps and bounds, before disappearing into the trees that bordered the meadow. The grass was long and green, spotted with random clumps of blue and purple wildflowers, with vivid patches of yellow or red scattered about. The buzz of bees filled the air and as Merry watched, he saw a butterfly fluttering from flower to flower.

"This...Legolas, this is beautiful." He almost hated the thought of spreading a blanket over the grass and flowers, in order to have their picnic, but he found there was no need to worry, as Legolas led them closer to the stream. There they found a large slab of rock rising from the grass, smooth and nearly flat. Beside the rock was a large basket and a folded blanket. At Legolas’ gesture, Merry also noticed several leather flasks cooling in a shallow pool at the edge of the stream.

Ordering Pippin to sit and rest, Merry and Legolas quickly spread the blanket over the rock and set out the food. Soon the meal was prepared and the three friends dug into the food with lively appetites. Merry retrieved one of the flasks from the stream and poured it into mugs, finding it contained a rich, fruity wine.

Merry woke some time later, from an unanticipated nap, feeling much refreshed. Rolling lazily onto his side, he looked about for Pippin, and found him sitting with Legolas, engaged in earnest conversation. They were speaking in low voices, and while Merry could hear them like a gentle hum, he could not make out the words. Not wanting to interrupt them, he flopped over onto his stomach, resting his chin on crossed arms and staring at the flowers nodding their sleepy heads at him. Yawning, he debated whether he should go back to sleep or get up and join his friends.

A loud laugh broke his train of thought and he looked over at Pippin, who was grinning with delight over something Legolas had said. His decision made, Merry stood and walked over to join them. Pippin looked up as he approached.

"Feeling better?" he asked with a smile.

Merry blinked at him. "What do you mean, Pip?"

"Don’t play innocent with me, Merry," Pippin retorted. "You’ve had a headache all afternoon. I could see it in your eyes. Has it gone?"

"It has, as a matter of fact." Pippin knew him far too well, Merry reflected as he sat down next to his cousin. "I feel much better, thank you for asking."

"Good, because I want to do some fishing, and you promised that you would make me a fishing pole."

The rest of the afternoon passed in a carefree haze of fishing and quiet conversation, until Merry noticed that Pippin was looking rather tired. Packing up the remains of the picnic, they took their time walking back to their tent, stopping to rest several times along the way. Legolas offered to carry Pippin, but the young hobbit refused, wanting to make it back on his own. Smiling in understanding, Legolas contented himself with carrying the basket and blanket, leaving Pippin in Merry’s capable hands.

They reached the tent shortly before the sun set, and Merry ordered Pippin to change into his nightshirt and climb into bed. "Take a little nap while I go get us some supper," he said as he turned to go. "Never fear, I’ll wake you before the food is all gone. Or at least save you a scrap or two."

Pippin muttered something Merry couldn’t make out, looking petulant, but obeyed his orders, sliding down in the cot until his head rested on the pillow. He was asleep before Merry had left the tent.

Merry allowed Pippin to sleep for a good hour before gently waking him to eat some supper. Pippin was still tired after eating and Merry’s headache had returned sometime during the early evening. They pulled out their pipes and had a smoke, sitting in companionable silence for a time, before Merry announced that they were both in need of an early night.

Blowing out the lamp, Merry stretched out on his cot, closing his eyes against the darkness. Pippin’s breathing settled into soft snores within minutes, but it took Merry much longer, tossing fitfully for nearly an hour before sleep finally claimed him.

Merry groaned, thrashing in his sleep. He was in a cold, dark place, and hard, rough hands grabbed at him, clawing and pawing their way over his body, searching and then hitting when they didn’t find what they were looking for. Merry tried to curl up around himself, protect himself against the cruel blows, but his body was being held and he couldn’t move. He cried out, trying to free himself but finding he could not.

"I have you, Merry, you’re safe now."

Gasping, he grabbed onto the warmth and security in those few words and tried once again to free himself from the bonds that held him.

"Shh, hush now, Merry. Stop fighting, it’s just me. I’ve got you."

He knew that voice. It was a good voice, full of love and a barely contained fear. He stilled as the words penetrated his confused mind. Blinking groggily, he saw that he was not on the plains of Rohan, as he’d thought. As his eyes focussed, he found himself staring into Pippin’s wide, worried eyes.

"All right?" Pippin asked hesitantly. "Are you awake, now?"

Nodding, not trusting himself to speak yet, Merry tried to still the trembling of his body, with little success. He was covered in a cold sweat and his teeth were beginning to chatter. Seeing this, Pippin grabbed the blanket off his own cot and added it to the one he’d already wrapped around Merry.

"Your hand is cold," Pippin said as he tucked Merry up. "Does your arm hurt?"

"Mm, a little," Merry replied, as he took stock of himself. In fact, his arm felt a bit cold and achy, but not icy or numb. "I suppose Aragorn will have something to say about this in the morning." He attempted to smile, but was still too shaky to do a convincing job of it.

"I’m certain of it." Pippin did a better job with his smile. "Here, drink some water." He held the mug to Merry’s lips and Merry drank gratefully.

When the mug was empty and Pippin had set it back on the table, Merry snaked his good arm out from under the blankets and grasped Pippin’s hand. "Thank you," he murmured. The trembling was beginning to ease off, and he thought he might be able to sleep again, soon. "I’m sorry to have wakened you."

"Nonsense." Pippin shook his head in amusement. "Turn and turn about. I kept you up all night, just a few days ago. It’s only fair that you disturb my slumber this time around. I’m sure it will be me again, next time. Now, close your eyes and go to sleep. I’ll be right here if you need me."

Merry followed this advice hesitantly, suddenly afraid the orcs would be waiting for him in the dark. Even as he closed his eyes, however, he heard Pippin humming an ancient lullaby and found his fears dissolving. Unable to resist the gentle urging of Pippin’s song, he slid quickly into a deep and dreamless sleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List