Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 28:  Mid-life Crises                                             

‘We are growing old,’ Legolas said bleakly. ‘I am not sure that I am enjoying the process.’

‘I only said that we needed to spend more time going through the reports and preparing a detailed analysis,’ Elrohir protested.  ‘It is true – we need to ensure that nothing has been overlooked.’

‘We do not do things like that,’ Elladan informed him. ‘A detailed analysis – that is something that Erestor would say!’

‘The trouble is,’ Legolas said, picking up a flat stone and skipping it over the lake, ‘it is what we do now.  It has got to the point where I automatically put on formal robes when I dress for the day.  Elerrina says I am beginning to look like my adar!’

‘I am beginning to sound like mine,’ Elladan said ruefully.  ‘Miriwen caught me telling Elrin that he needed to show more consideration for the staff – that was when he had raided the kitchen, looking for berry tarts.  She laughed herself silly.  And then I complained that she was undermining my discipline – and she laughed even more.’

‘We are even starting to think like them, too,’ Elrohir sighed.  ‘Can you imagine us, a few short years ago, talking about negotiations and planning – even if we were sitting in on meetings?  We would have been trying hard to look as if we were still awake. Yet, here we are, outside on a beautiful day – and we are still wearing robes and talking business.’

‘Well, you are,’ his twin snipped.

‘Discussion is not something you can do on your own, my brother,’ Elrohir said regretfully.  ‘Let us make a bargain – we are to say nothing else today that is not entirely frivolous and light-minded.  We will search out our youth.’

‘Agreed,’ Legolas remarked with heartfelt agreement.  ‘In fact, why do we not visit the training grounds and get some exercise. We will have our sons disgusted at our incompetence if we do not practise.’

Elladan winced. ‘As an elfling, I used to think that Adar was unable to use sword or bow,’ he admitted.  ‘He was always working in his study, or in the infirmary. I knew he was important – but Glorfindel was the one I adored for his skill on the field.  It was years before I realised how good Adar was.’

‘Do you remember the first time we saw Celeborn training with Glorfindel?’ Elrohir asked.  ‘I was amazed – I had never even considered Daeradar in that way before.  And then, when they talked about Adar – it was as if he was a different person in their eyes.’

‘But then,’ Legolas mused, ‘how could we expect our children know about us?  What have they ever seen us do, but shuffle paper?  And we cannot tell them many of the stories of our past lives – we do not want them to grow up knowing the horrors of those dark days, do we?’

‘We have told them tales in plenty,’ Elrohir sighed, ‘but they are all of mischief and laughter.  I would not speak of orcs and wargs and Nazgul.  There is no need to shadow their innocence.’

‘Frodo wrote down all his experiences, did he not?’ Elladan said thoughtfully.

‘He did,’ Legolas agreed.  ‘I have read it – together with the parts added by Sam and Merry’s own writings.  It was – interesting, to know the story of the Ring from their point of view.’

‘Perhaps we should do the same,’ Elrohir suggested. ‘Our children could then read it when they were old enough.’

‘Some things,’ Elladan said bleakly, thinking of Celebrian, ‘they will never be old enough to know.’

Legolas put his hand on his friend’s shoulder in a consoling grip. ‘It must not be forgotten,’ he said. ‘When the past is too well buried, that is when someone will come along who is prepared to resurrect it.  We want to keep them innocent, but that is not the same thing as ignorant.’

‘For a frivolous and light-hearted conversation, this is very depressing,’ Elrohir commented. 

‘Come,’ commanded Legolas.  ‘I will guarantee that I can skip a stone further that either of you.  Best of three.’

‘And when you lose?’ Elladan enquired. ‘What will the penalty be?’

The twins looked at the lake contemplatively, a slow grin spreading across each face.

‘Total immersion I think, my brother,’ Elrohir agreed.

‘You can try, my friends,’ Legolas said disdainfully, ‘but it will not be I who is going to get wet.’  He grinned.  ‘At least, not alone!’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List