Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 78: Standing In

Legolas sat in the window seat, turned so that the light shone on his face, his attention focused on the stack of documents before him, scanning each one carefully and scratching comments on a small tablet before placing it one of several smaller piles.

‘You would think,’ a voice observed, ‘that his tutors would have managed to teach him to work without getting ink all over his face.’

‘Erestor never permitted us to suck on our pens,’ a very similar voice agreed.  ‘And he insisted that working at a desk was much more efficient.’

‘If Erestor wishes to transfer his loyalties and come here to us, I will happily provide him with a desk,’ Legolas said absently.  ‘And as many pens as he likes.’

‘No poaching!’ Elladan insisted.  ‘You do your own paperwork.’

Legolas looked up at the twins and grinned.  ‘As if Erestor would agree to leave your adar,’ he said mildly.  ‘What are you two doing here?’

‘We have run away from home,’ Elrohir declared straight-faced, ‘and come to seek refuge in Taurevron.’

‘I am not sure that I can permit that.’  Legolas shook his head.  ‘What skills, after all, do you have that you could put to our service?  We have no need of court jesters – and orc-slaying is quite out of fashion!’

‘Alas, my brother,’ Elladan put a slender hand to his heart, ‘we are given so little credit for our multifarious talents – perhaps we will simply have to return home where we are appreciated.’

‘But not until we have delivered the formal letters and gifts,’ Elrohir said.  ‘Did we forget to mention that we are considered excellent messengers?’

‘Not for you!’ Elladan scolded as Legolas extended his hand.  ‘We are to perform in a princely manner and place them only in the right hands.’

‘I suppose in that case you might wish to bathe – and have your robes pressed – before you present yourselves,’ Legolas suggested.  Arranging his river-smoothed pebble paperweights to hold his documents in place, he rose.  ‘I was not aware that you had yet had time to return home.’

‘When the High King requests, it is difficult to say, ‘But. . .’ and get away with it.’  Elrohir shrugged and turned to follow their friend to the rooms they customarily occupied when visiting.

‘And he knows it,’ his brother added.  ‘I think he was quite pleased with himself – he sent us here as his representatives rather than Adar’s or Daeradar’s – and managed to use the cry of ‘family’ to have us comply.’

‘There are times when it is useful to be related to everybody,’ Legolas observed, ‘and doubtless times when it is somewhat of a handicap.  I can imagine that this is a time when it is both at the same time.’

Elrohir grinned ruefully.  ‘I think Andaeradar thought he was exceptionally fortunate to be able to send us to greet your daeradar – great-grandsons who are also in Elwë’s direct line!  And he is certainly wise enough to seize any advantage offered.’

Legolas looked from one to the other.  They were clearly too pleased with themselves to have allowed Finarfin to play them that easily.  ‘And?’ he asked.

‘We rode hard,’ Elladan said, ‘and took the southern path – so that we arrived as quickly as we could – as instructed.’

‘But on a rather roundabout route.’  Elrohir raised an eyebrow.  ‘With word from Adar – and Celeborn – as well as Finarfin.’

‘Underestimated.’ Elladan shook his head.  ‘We always have been, my friend.’  He sighed with mock disappointment.  ‘I know not what it is – but all our elders seem to look on us as frivolous.’

‘And you have worked so hard to rid yourselves of that reputation,’ Legolas mourned with him.  ‘I fail to see how they can be so deluded.’

‘Less of that, Thranduilion,’ Elrohir protested.  He unstrapped his pack and withdrew his robes with a flourish.  Silver-grey shimmered, sliding over his hands in creaseless folds.  

Elladan clearly smirked as he shook out his own robes of deep blue.

‘And which of you dresses to represent the High King of the Noldor?’ Legolas enquired.  ‘You are here as Elrond’s heir – and Elrohir as Celeborn’s representative: that is obvious.  But what of Finarfin?’

‘It was undeniably difficult,’ Elrohir acknowledged.  ‘Three into two just will not go – but Glorfindel came up with the perfect solution.’

‘Are you going to make me ask?’ Legolas leaned on the door frame and looked quizzically at his friends.

‘We could make you wait and see,’ Elladan teased.

‘Except,’ Legolas pointed out, ‘that I am not hard of hearing – and I suspect your solution is currently conversing with my daughter.’

Elrohir laughed.  ‘Very well,’ he agreed.  ‘Glorfindel suggested that Elrin could represent his andaernaneth’s adar – and that his presence would smooth a range of difficulties, as well as making it perfectly clear that, while we are happy to be of assistance to Finarfin, we will not be used.’  He grinned.  ‘Although I rather hope he has time to get over his irritation before we see him again!’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List