Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 73: Like Adar, Like Son

The sons of Elrond looked infuriatingly smug.   Legolas wondered briefly if they were offering enough provocation for him to challenge them to test their skills against his in the training grounds, but concluded reluctantly that they were not.

‘It reminds me,’ Elladan said conversationally, ‘of one time when you were just an elfling and you escorted your adar to Imladris.’

‘Thank you,’ Legolas told him.  ‘I do not wish to discuss the matter.’

‘Now you come to mention it . . .’ Elladan began.

‘And I do not wish to be reminded of long-past follies.’

‘Your adar was most displeased,’ Elrohir commented.

‘I rather enjoyed being innocent of any ill-doing for once,’ his brother added.  ‘It made a pleasant change to stand to the side and watch.’

Legolas began to feel that inflicting physical discomfort on his friends would be more than a relief.  It would also, he decided, be a pleasure.

‘I can understand now why Adar could barely conceal his smiles,’ Elrohir remarked.

‘And that Thranduil’s reaction was at least as much to do with Adar’s amusement as what you had done.’

Elladan’s sympathy mollified their friend a little.

‘I do not intend to punish my son,’ Legolas met his friends’ eyes determinedly.

‘I quite understand,’ Elrohir agreed.  ‘I think Thranduil regretted his burst of temper, but, once he had committed himself, he refused to back down.’

‘Of course,’ Elladan conceded, ‘when we did much the same thing – long before you were born – Naneth was the one who dealt with it.’  He grinned ruefully.  ‘Note that we did not repeat the offence.’

‘Galenthil was not attempting to sneak up on the ellyth,’ Legolas insisted through gritted teeth.  ‘He was interested in the kingfishers.’  He stared at the Elrondionnath, his eyes flint-like.  ‘Even the ellyth agreed on that.’

Elrohir leaned back against the wall and laughed.  ‘Do not take it all so seriously, Legolas,’ he said.  ‘Galenthil was at least as embarrassed as the ellyth – and Nimloth told her friends that if they persisted in making all that fuss about nothing she would see that they regretted it.  I should be taking her to task rather than teasing you about your son.’

‘But at least Nimloth refrained from using her fists this time,’ Elladan pointed out.

‘And, of course, using intimidation is so much less serious than using force.’ Elrohir nodded.

‘Well, it is,’ his brother defended himself.  ‘In a way.’

‘I think Sirithiel is giving up hope of ever turning Nimloth into a lady.’

‘She does not need to be a lady,’ Legolas relaxed.  ‘She is a Lady.’

‘Surely you are not learning to speak in capital letters,’ Elrohir grinned.

‘You cannot tell me that you have not, on occasion, found that your position excuses behaviour that would have been frowned on in someone whose adar was, say, a forester.’  Legolas raised his eyebrows in query.

‘Just as it brings with it expectations of conduct that would not be part of living as a farmer’s son,’ Elladan commented.

‘True,’ Legolas conceded.

‘Anyway,’ Elrohir added, ‘neither Adar nor Naneth would permit us to take advantage of their position.  They always said that respect had to be earned and that we had achieved nothing remarkable by being born as their sons.’

‘Of course,’ Elladan shrugged, ‘everyone always expected the worst of us when we were Galenthil’s age.’

‘Probably because we deserved it.’

Elladan inclined his head in acknowledgement.  ‘They are much more likely to believe that your son was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.  And he would only have to say ‘kingfishers’ and look at everyone with that pink and confused expression and they would believe him anyway.’

‘Do you think we would have got away with more had we been blond?’ Elrohir asked.

‘Almost undoubtedly.’

Legolas opened his mouth to retort indignantly, but, realising he was being provoked, he closed it again and drew in a deep breath.  ‘Perhaps you should try it some time,’ he suggested.  ‘I am sure that Miriwen could provide you with something to lighten your hair to a more attractive colour.  She might even be able to produce the same shade sported by Glorfindel.’

Elladan grinned.  ‘We should try it one day,’ he said.  ‘Just to see how everyone reacts.  It could be entertaining.’

His brother looked at him in horror.  ‘Think again,’ he said firmly.  ‘If you wish to make a spectacle of yourself like that, you are on your own, my brother.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List