Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 40:  Schemes

The rain fell in torrents, persuading even those who were not averse to exposing themselves to the blessing of water to remain indoors.  Elrohir watched, glad that they were no longer dependent on canvas to keep their possessions dry.

‘We should discover whether any mistakes have been made in the drainage system,’ Elladan commented. 

‘The pitch of the roof is designed for swift run-off,’ his brother said absently.  ‘And the gutters and down pipes should work efficiently to channel the rainwater into the storage tanks.  I am more concerned about snowfall, when it comes – we have little experience of prolonged fall and it puts a strain on the roof timbers – but we have taken advice from those who know its effects.’

‘Then what is keeping your attention so firmly fixed out of the window?’ Elladan enquired impatiently.  ‘Watching the rain will not make it stop.’

‘I do not want it to stop,’ Elrohir told him.  ‘I have just realised how good it feels to be here – safe, in our own house, among these trees, with our family about us.  It is a homecoming.’

Elladan stilled and registered the content deep within him.  ‘It is,’ he remarked in some surprise.  ‘It is almost as if much of life is back to normal after a long hiatus.’

‘Except,’ Elrohir turned to face him and gestured, his hands spread wide.

‘Except,’ Elladan agreed.   He did not need to list the gaps left that time would never fill, because only after time’s ending was there a chance of their repair.

Legolas stopped on the sheltered verandah outside and shook himself like a dog, his grey cloak shedding raindrops in a shower.

‘If you have quite finished,’ Elrohir said amiably, opening the door.   ‘You may come in if you promise not to drip on the books.’

‘I would not dare.’  Legolas squelched in, pausing briefly to strip off his boots and drop them with his cloak in a corner.  ‘Your adar long since made plain to me the fate reserved for those who damaged even the least of the works in his library.’

Elladan laughed.  ‘I believe it was the only time he ever turned me over his knee to exact immediate vengeance,’ he admitted.

‘And he succeeded in making quite an impression,’ Elrohir added.

‘What were you doing out in the rain?’ Elladan asked curiously, as Legolas moved to stand in front of the fire and allow his wet clothes to steam gently. 

His friend shrugged noncommittally, but his eyes twinkled with mirth.

Elrohir looked at him suspiciously.  ‘Would I be too far away from the truth if I suggested that our daughters had something to do with it?’ he asked.

‘I will admit to taking Eleniel to the stables,’ Legolas conceded.  ‘Elerrina said that, after two days of continual rain, she was prepared to risk whatever she and your daughters might do, if only it would keep them happily occupied.’  He grinned. ‘I even ensured that they were all dry before I left them – and Ninniach said he would keep an eye on them.’

Elrohir closed his eyes and shook his head.  ‘We had better enjoy our peaceful morning,’ he said with resignation, ‘for we will undoubtedly have to face a great deal of trouble this afternoon.’

‘Dare I ask the whereabouts of our sons?’ Elladan enquired.

‘How should I know?’ Legolas replied innocently.  ‘They are supposed to be learning wisdom at the feet of their tutor.’ 

The twins looked at each other.  ‘What is going on?’ Elladan insisted.  ‘Something about this makes me feel exceedingly nervous.’

‘Sirithiel was behaving oddly this morning,’ Elrohir said slowly.  ‘She seemed singularly determined that I was to remain out of her way.’

‘Well,’ Legolas shrugged.  ‘I can understand her desire to have some peace and quiet – do you not agree, my friend?’  He glanced at Elladan, but the other twin refused to play. 

‘Miriwen was insistent that I should spend the day working in the library,’ he told his brother.  ‘And Adar made sure that we had plenty of tasks that would keep us here.’

The pair of them turned their piercing grey eyes on their friend.

‘Oh, use your brains, Elrondionnath,’ Legolas surrendered. ‘Just keep out of the way until all the members of your family are ready for you.  It is only once a year.’

‘Oh,’ returned Elladan, enlightened.  ‘If that is all, we may as well sit here and enjoy a glass of wine.’

‘It might even keep the elflings out of trouble,’ Elrohir added hopefully.

‘In all likelihood,’ Legolas agreed, raising the glass Elladan handed him and offering a toast.  ‘Happy Begetting Day, both of you.’

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List