Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Blood of the Bullroarer  by Pervinca

 

Blood of the Bullroarer

 

4: Good Night, Sleep Tight

The trip to Hobbiton seemed like an eternity to Diamond. She could feel Lotho’s eyes upon her the entire time, but she refused to meet them, or talk to Lotho. She was disgusted by him. When they stopped for an overnight rest at a Shirriff-house, Diamond stayed in the carriage, and Lotho locked the door. She could hear him talking with some of the hobbits that had come with him. Many of them were wishing him luck with taming such a fiery lass.

Three days after he had taken Diamond from her home and family, Lotho told Diamond that they were arriving in Hobbiton.

“When you meet my mother, you will be polite and courteous,” he commanded. “She does not like to be offended.”

“I will try my best,” Diamond sneered. “I would not wish to get on the wrong side of my future mother-in-law, would I?”

Lotho glared at her, and then did something that proved he was as despicable as she had thought. He slapped her; not particularly hard, but enough to sting. Diamond had never thought Lotho would be so low as to hit a lass, but it seemed he was.

“Don’t use that tone with me, Diamond. You will regret it.”

Diamond bit her lip, but did not cry. She was determined not to let Lotho see her cry.

The door of the carriage was opened by a scruffy looking young hobbit. “Welcome home, Mister Lotho. I’ve let Miss Lobelia know that you’re back.”

“Thank you, Master Sandyman,” Lotho replied.

At that moment, Sandyman noticed Diamond. “Well, bless me, sir, I didn’t know you had a guest with you.”

“I do indeed. This is Miss Diamond Took, soon to be Mrs. Lotho Sackville-Baggins. Diamond, allow me to introduce Ted Sandyman, from the mill.”

Diamond did not respond, so Lotho snarled angrily, grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her out of the carriage.

“Beggin’ your pardon, Mister Lotho, I had no idea you was looking for lass to be your missus. If you’d had asked me, I could have told you about a mighty fine lass from Bywater. Prettiest lass in the whole Shire – not that your missus isn’t pretty…”

“I assume you are speaking of Rosie Cotton, and I should beat you for even suggesting her! She is nothing more than a peasant. How dare you suggest that she become the wife of the Chief!”

Sandyman looked at his feet. “Sorry, sir. I just thought that seeing as she was Sam Gamgee’s lass…”

“Go after her yourself, if you are not too frightened of her brothers.” Lotho walked passed Sandyman, dragging Diamond with him.

An elderly hobbit-maid was waiting at the front door of what appeared to be a very large hobbit-hole. Lotho released Diamond to embrace the hobbit-maid, but made it perfectly clear that there was no chance of her running off. Two surly looking Men had remained at the front gate.

“Mother, dearest,” said Lotho.

“It’s about time you came home,” Lobelia Sackville-Baggins returned. “Where have you been, and who is she?”

Diamond was not comforted by Lobelia’s tone. It seemed that she did not quite approve of her. Diamond looked up to meet Lobelia’s gaze, defiantly.

Lobelia gasped. “That’s a Took, isn’t it? She reminds me of those brats of Paladin’s. Rotten children, all of them. What do you think you’re doing with a lass from that family?”

It was a good thing that Lotho had so firmly warned Diamond against insulting Lobelia, otherwise she might have done something terrible to her. She had to settle for an angry glare instead.

“Mother, please, I thought you would be happy that I found a potential bride!”

“I would have been happier if you had married Miranda!”

“You would have wanted that ridiculous girl to mother my children?” Lotho pointed at Diamond. “Diamond is a direct descendant of Bullroarer Took. Just imagine the children we will have together.”

“She can’t have even come of age yet, Lotho!” Lobelia had taken a few steps away from Diamond. It seemed quite obvious that the height of the younger lass made her uncomfortable.

“Mother, please, I want to have children worthy of my title, worthy of my name,” Lotho pleaded. “But I cannot marry her without your approval.”

Lobelia sighed, and Diamond thought she could hear regret in her voice. “You do not have my approval, Lotho, but I will not stop you if this is what you want to do.”

Lobelia turned her back on them both, and walked into the house.

Unable to control herself any longer, Diamond snickered. “Looks like Mummy isn’t too pleased with your choice, Lotho.”

“Shut up!” Lotho growled. Diamond cringed, expecting another slap, but Lotho managed to refrain himself. “Get inside.”

* * * * * *

Lotho had a tailor come to the house. Diamond, of course, had not had time to pack any clothes when she left Long Cleeve, and none of Lobelia’s clothes would fit her (if, indeed, Lobelia had felt inclined to lend them). The tailor took her measurements, and left as quickly as he had come. He was obviously terrified of the Chief. He assured them all that the clothes would be delivered within the next few days. Lotho warned him that they had best be delivered the following day.

Diamond had not eaten with Lotho and Lobelia. Fortunately, she had not been hungry at all. Lotho had shown her to her room, and that, at least, was pleasant enough. It might have pleased Diamond if she had known that this was the room Peregrin Took had used when he had come to visit Frodo Baggins. But she did not know that, and was simply glad that it was not too close to Lotho’s room.

As she climbed under the covers, she was surprised by how warm it was in the room. Obviously, there was no rule about how much wood the Chief was allowed to use on his fires. This brought back the memories of her mother’s death, and the tears Diamond had been holding back for the last few days burst free.

She wished that she was back home with her father and brothers. She wished that her mother was still alive, and that all was right in the world.

Lost in fond memories of her childhood, Diamond began to hum the tune of a lullaby her mother had sung to her when she had been much younger. Soon, the hum became actual words.

Now it’s time to say good night

Good night, sleep tight

Now the Sun turns out her light

Good night, sleep tight

Dreams, sweet dreams for me

Dreams, sweet dreams for you

With the song playing through her mind, Diamond fell into a deep sleep, full of dreams of when her life had been much happier.

* * * * * *

Foscard shivered under his blankets. Despite the soothing tea Violet had made up for him, he could not sleep. He had not been able to sleep for almost a week now, ever since his precious daughter had been stolen from him.

“Diamond,” he sighed. He wondered where she was now, what she was thinking, and how she was feeling.

His thoughts now turned to years earlier, when Amethyst had still been alive, and Diamond had only been a small child. Being the only lass, she was often picked on by her brothers, and many of her nights had been sleepless. Foscard would always try to comfort Diamond, but it was always Amethyst who managed it.

She had made up a sweet little lullaby that always lulled Diamond to sleep, no matter how upset she had been. It had been so long since he had heard it, Foscard could only remember some of the words.

Close your eyes and I’ll close mine

Good night, sleep tight

Now the Moon begins to shine

Good night, sleep tight

Dreams, sweet dreams for you

Dreams, sweet dreams for me

The sleeping draught Violet had added to his tea finally took affect, and Foscard drifted to sleep.

* * * * *

A/N: The song used in this chapter “Good Night” is actually a Beatles’ song, the very last song on the second disc of the White Album. However, I’ve always associated it with Lord of the Rings – I used to think of Pippin singing it to Merry when he cares for him after the Battle of Pellanor. I knew it would work well in this story, so I used it. If you have the White Album, I suggest you listen to the song. Ringo sings it, and it’s actually very sweet.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List