Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Blood of the Bullroarer  by Pervinca

Blood of the Bullroarer

 

3: Gathering and Sharing

“Father! Father!” cried Hildibard, as he rushed into his father’s study. “A carriage just pulled up, with a group of ruffians.”

Foscard sighed. “Must be here for more of their ‘gathering’. Get Isem for me, Hildi, and meet me outside.”

Hildi nodded and left the room as quickly as he had entered it. Foscard pushed himself to his feet, cringing as he did. He left his cane by the desk. The ruffians and Shirriffs enjoyed inflicting pain, especially on those already with injuries. Foscard never used his cane in front of them.

Trying not to limp too much, Foscard joined his two sons outside. He passed Isemgard’s wife, Violet, on the way, holding her children close to her. Foscard hoped that Diamond was also inside somewhere.

The sight that greeted him outside the smial was nothing like Foscard had expected. The usual ruffians and Shirriffs were standing around, looking for trouble, but there were a few that the Tooks did not recognise. However, most shocking of all was the hobbit being helped out of the carriage: Lotho Sackville-Baggins, the Chief himself.

“What’s Pimple doing here?” Hildi gasped.

“Hush lad,” Foscard hissed back. It would not do to have the Chief hear that sort of talk. Though he despised Chief Pimple as much as the next hobbit, he knew what happened to those who defied him.

“Mister Took, I presume,” Lotho called, upon seeing the three Tooks.

“Yessir,” Foscard replied, unable to hide the hint of suspicion in his voice. “How can I help you? A group of your lads has already seen to the gathering.”

Lotho frowned. “I would not take that tone with me, Mister Took, if you know what is best for you.”

“My apologies, Chief.” Foscard managed to correct himself before he addressed Lotho as Mister Baggins. He had heard how much Lotho hated that name.

From the corner of his eye, Foscard could see Isemgard clenching his fists, and on his other side, Hildibard was shifting like a trapped animal. He subtly shook his heard at them. He did not wish for them to get into a fight that they were sure to lose.

Lotho took a few steps forward, regarding the Tooks and the smial behind them. All three Tooks stood at least a head taller than him, and it unnerved him a little.

“Ah, Bandy Hall, constructed by Bullroarer Took himself,” Lotho commented, stepping back.

“Yessir,” Foscard replied through gritted teeth. He wished that Lotho would simply state his reason for being there and be done with it.

“Father? What’s going on?” Diamond’s voice called from just inside the smial.

Foscard heard Violet hiss, “No, Di, stay inside”, but obviously, Diamond ignored her. A moment later, she stepped outside and gasped at the scene before her.

Lotho saw her and grinned wickedly. “And this must be Diamond.”

“Back inside, Diamond,” Foscard ordered.

“No! She’ll stay right where she is, if she really cares for your well being.”

Diamond glanced at her father with frightened eyes, but made no movement. She did not know what the Chief would do to her family if she disobeyed him, but it was certain to be terrible.

Lotho, his attention how wholly focussed on the pretty Took lass, made his way over to her. “Good day to you, Miss Took. How are you?”

“F-fine, thank you, Mister Lotho,” she replied.

“How old are you lass?”

“I’ve just recently turned twenty-four.”

Lotho’s grin widened. “So, I may assume that you are not yet married, nor engaged.”

“No, she’s not,” Foscard growled. He had a frightening suspicion of what Lotho was getting at, and he did not like it at all.

“Mister Took,” Lotho snapped, “I was addressing your daughter, and not you!”

“No, sir, I’m not,” Diamond whispered.

“That’s wonderful to hear. And now, you shall return with me to Hobbiton.”

Diamond cried out, and Isem stepped forward. “She’ll do no such thing!”

The Chief’s eyes narrowed. “Master Took, I am now in charge of all goings-on within the Shire. What I say, goes, or else folk may find themselves in the Lockholes.”

“The Lockholes?” Isemgard repeated. That did not sound particularly good. Perhaps that was where many of the hobbits of Long Cleeve had disappeared to.

“Now, Miss Diamond, I will say this only once more: You will return with me to Hobbiton.”

“But, I don’t want to,” said Diamond, more forceful than she had been.

Lotho snarled, and grabbed Diamond by the wrist. “You will come with me, or else I shall burn down this pleasant little home of yours – with your precious family inside.”

Diamond held her free hand to her mouth. She did not doubt that Lotho would carry out his threat. She had heard many stories about the Chief’s vicious attacks.

She glanced at her father, standing proudly despite the pain in his leg. She knew she had to be strong like him. Strong, like her ancestor. Diamond shook Lotho’s hand away.

“You must give me your word that they shall not be harmed if I do return with you.”

Lotho opened his mouth to say something, but changed what he wanted to say. “Upon my word, they shall not be harmed, so long as they stay out of trouble. Now get in the carriage.”

“At least let me say goodbye!” Diamond growled. Lotho was impressed by her boldness. Unknowingly, she was convincing him that she was the perfect wife for him.

“No, Diamond,” Foscard whispered, as his only daughter approached. He had always feared the day that she married, but this was never how he had expected it to be. Diamond was far too young to marry, and besides, in a normal situation, Foscard would have never approved of Lotho as a potential husband.

“Be strong, Father,” she returned, hugging him. “I can’t be if you’re not.”

“But he wants to make you his wife.”

“I know.” Diamond fought back the tears. “It will be all right, I promise you.” Both of her elder brothers embraced her. She whispered to them, “Take care of Father. And don’t do anything stupid. I won’t be able to help you if you do. Promise me you’ll behave.”

Isemgard and Hildibard nodded. Diamond also made them promise to tell their other two brothers, Fosco and Vigo, the same thing.

“Enough!” Lotho cried. “Into the carriage now!”

Diamond blew one last kiss to her family as she climbed into the carriage. The door was shut tight.

Foscard watched the carriage drive away. His legs failed him, and he fell. Fortunately, Hildi caught him.

“Come on, Father,” he said. “We should go inside. We would not wish to break curfew.”

* * * * * *

Lotho and Diamond did not speak, but Lotho was taking great pleasure in watching his bride-to-be. She had not yet cried, and for that, he was greatly impressed.

He was also pleased to see how pretty she was. Dark curls spilt over milky skin, and her green eyes, though clouded by tears, were enchanting. Of course, when standing, she towered over him, but that was something he could overlook.

“I hope you will find my home, Bag-End, pleasant enough,” Lotho commented, lightly. He wanted to hear her speak.

“I doubt that it will be,” she replied, icily. Her voice was slightly husky, though Lotho could not tell if that was normal or just a result of her holding back tears.

“Well, it is going to be your new home, so you had best try to like it.”

Diamond stopped herself before she snapped angrily at him. Instead, she asked the question that was weighing heavily in her mind. “Why did you choose me?”

Lotho smiled to himself. “Because I could not get to the Thain’s daughters. And besides, you must admit that you have a rather impressive lineage.”

Diamond almost choked. She wished she hadn’t asked.

* * * * * *

The moment the Chief’s men had left, Isem sent Hildi to collect their other two brothers. Their father was in no state to go anywhere. The family gathered around the bed in Foscard’s room. Fosco and Vigo were shocked at what they were told.

“He took her away?” Vigo cried. “How could he do that?”

“He’s the Chief,” Isem stated bluntly. “He can do what he wants.”

Foscard moaned. “Diamond! My poor Diamond.”

“Hush, Father,” Violet pleaded. “Oh, Isem, why her? Why our Diamond?”

Isem thought for a moment, until he believed he had the answer. “She’s one of the Bullroarer’s only unmarried lass descendants.”

Hildi’s eyes widened. “He wants her to have his children, doesn’t he?”

“That’s terrible!” Fosco’s wife, Opal, gasped.

Foscard took a deep breath. He gathered his strength and sat up. “Diamond went to protect us, so all we can do for her is make sure we stay safe.” He blinked away the tears. “It’s all we can do.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List