Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Hello friends, rest assured, Pippin’s natural *compassion* will be forthcoming; remember--this is still their first day/night together…maybe.

Chapter Eight - Settling In

“What else did you lasses talk about?” Pippin sat on the couch sipping a cup of hot tea before bedtime. He had been wondering all day as to what he would do when the moment came to share the bed with Lilas. He decided that this little respite would be a good time to learn more about each other and avoid the pertinent issue of wedding night jitters…especially now that they were husband and wife.

Lilas filled Pippin in on what she and his sisters talked about earlier in the day. “Pearl said that me being sick after I eat is normal. I still don’t like it, though. Pimpernel explained how we--I mean, how I was able t’ conceive even though I wasn’t married.” Lilas shook her head, “I only hope Nida learns the truth soon.”

“Is Nida a close friend of yours?”

Lilas nodded, “Yes. Is Merry yours?” She watched Pippin nod in reply. “How long have ye known each other?”

“Well,” Pippin scratched his head, “all of my life. We’re first and third-cousins; he’s older by a few years.”

“I have cousins up in the Northfarthing but I have never seen them. My father doesn’t have any brothers or sisters.”

“I’ve never known a time when I have not lived among or near my kin,” said Pippin. “Merry and I have always been very close.” He drained his cup. “How many siblings do you have?”

“I have three brothers--Milas and Dabo--they’re older, and then Sabo--who’s younger than me. The youngest is, Saborra.”

“Was she with you the night--,” he left the remark unfinished.

Lilas saddened, “No. Saborra just turned twenty last Winterfilth; she was too young t’ be out with me and Nida. The others were older lasses that we had met at the market not long before.”

“Why did…,” he paused, “Why did you…” Pippin had wanted to ask this question for the past few days. “Why me? I had too much to drink that night--didn’t you see that?”

“I saw--and so did I,” she responded, recalling her state of mind that night in early Blotmath. “You could’ve kept on walking, ye know.”

“How could I? You nearly dragged me into the woods.”

Her jaw dropped in surprise. “Dragged ye? I don’t recall hog-tying and hauling ye single-handed out to the woods. Ye followed me!”

“If I followed it’s because you gave signs! You knew that I was drunk and so you took advantage of me!”

Lilas got up and threw a lap pillow at him, shouting her pent-up anger from the past few days. “I didn’t know what I was thinkin’! I only know that I’m sorry I did what I did! I’m sorry I got ye in this, and I’m sorry I got me in this! It’s all my doin’ and now I can’t ever go home!” Tears ran down her cheeks as she ran into the bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

Pippin sat in his chair fuming. Too upset to spend his wedding night with his bride even if he had wanted to, he opted for the couch. He furiously fluffed the same lap pillow that had been thrown at him and set it under his head. Restless, angry thoughts ran through in his head as he settled down to sleep. Pippin couldn’t find a comfortable position. He was far too awake to get any rest. As he was entertaining the thought of finding Merry for a game of chess--and to talk to--the door to the bedroom flew open. Out ran Lilas with her hand over her mouth to the little ‘convenience’ room where a pail was kept for just that purpose. Pippin grimaced; he could hear what Lilas was doing inside. He hoped he wouldn’t have to listen to this all night. He sat up, praying that his own stomach would stay down.

Just one week ago he and Merry were hosting a Winter Formal party at Crickhollow and flirting with every lass in the room. Now he was suddenly a married hobbit with a child due in less than five months. Would he survive?

* * *

“So how’s married life?” Merry gave his friend a sad smile. He and Pippin were sitting in the common room of the Smials late in the afternoon smoking their pipes and blowing smoke rings. Merry sensed his young cousin needed someone to talk to.

Pippin answered his cousin with a sharp look. He sighed, “We already had an argument last night.”

“About what, if I may ask?”

Pippin shrugged his shoulders indifferently. “I accused her of dragging me into the woods, and of course she flatly denied it, which included a pillow being thrown at my head.”

Merry laughed, “Give her time to adjust, Pip.”

Her to adjust?” Pippin paused in blowing smoke rings at hearing his dearest friend side with Lilas. “Merry, in the span of a week, my life has been turned upside down. I’m torn from my life at Crickhollow, and forced to marry a complete stranger.” He slipped his pipe between his teeth, saying wistfully, “Will I ever be happy again?”

“Sure you will…eventually,” Merry emptied his pipe, then laid it on the table. “I was going to add that you ought to give yourself time to adjust as well. Whether you like it or not, Pip, Lilas is in your life to stay. Get to know her better--she can’t be all that bad.”

Pippin snorted, his memory of succumbing to the wiles of a pretty lass rose up, “You weren’t with her that night--or last night.”

“I, my friend,” Merry pointed out, “wasn’t inebriated like you were. I was in full control of my faculties.”

Pippin couldn’t deny that. He must have drunk every mug that was bought for him that evening by a host of grateful hobbits. Never again. The two young hobbits sat quietly for some time, contemplating the events of the past week. It was inevitable that the subject would come up, so Merry decided to inform his cousin that his stay at the Smials would be cut short.

“Merry, no!” Pippin spoke in a low volume. Leaning closer towards his friend, “Don’t leave me here alone!”

“You’re not alone,” Merry reminded him. “Pimpernel lives here now while Merimas and Pervinca plan to stay a few days more. I have to go; Uncle Paladin has asked me to give the recent news personally to my Mum and Dad.”

Pippin shook his head in disapproval, “Auntie is going to be angry with my father for not sending her an invitation.”

Merry replied, “Your dad was wise in not doing so; it’s one thing for Pervinca and Merimas to visit Great Smials on a whim, but for them and the Master of the Hall to do so would attract unwanted attention--attention that the Thain didn’t necessarily want.” Then he started to chuckle, “Now do you see why I’m not exactly looking forward to going home?”

“When are you coming back?”

Merry smiled, “I’ll return in a few weeks to see how you’re doing. In the meantime, Pip, get to know her.”

* *

Pippin wandered the tunnels of the Smials in effort to avoid going back to his quarters. Lilas would be there. He admonished himself--what was he so afraid of? He had been walking for over an hour after he and Merry parted ways. His cousin was meeting with his father at this time and then would join the family later for supper. Merry liked rising early, so more than likely he would get an early start on his trip back to Buckland in the morning.

Pippin decided to proceed on to his and Lilas’ rooms at which point he drew near to the Thain’s dining room. He could hear laughter echo throughout the hallway. He peered around the door to better see who was having a merry time.

“Pippin!” Pervinca called, still laughing from somebody’s jest. “Come in and enjoy some of this lovely apple pie!”

Pippin was always game for apple pie, so he strolled inside. He startled to see Lilas sitting on one side of his sister, while Merimas sat on the other. “Hullo, Pervinca…everyone,” Pippin quickly recovered from his surprise. Looking around he asked, “Where’s Brody?”

“Mother is with him--she’s busy rocking him in the same rocking chair she rocked you in as a babe.” She slid a plate with a piece of pie on it over to her brother, “Try some--Lilas baked it. It’s delicious!”

Sitting across the table from the group, Pippin marveled at how quickly his sister always warmed up to people. It appeared Lilas was no exception. He looked over at his wife, “You baked this pie?”

Lilas nodded meekly, “It’s one of the few things I’m not real bad at.”

“Lilas,” Merimas piped in, “you’re not ‘bad’ at things; every hobbit has a talent. You’re still a tween, so you have plenty of time to discover your other hidden abilities.”

In an instant, young Lilas recalled the many times in her life when she had fallen short of her father’s expectations…or her brothers’…or her mother. For the first time in her life, she felt approval. “You mean I’m not horrible at everything I do?”

Merimas smiled at her simplicity, “Of course not, Lilas.”

Pippin felt uncomfortable. He listened as his brother-in-law encouraged his wife--something that he, as her husband, ought to be doing. Pippin became aware that the room had suddenly grown quiet. All eyes were upon him. The lad realized that they were waiting for him to take a bite of the pie. He silently picked up his fork and sliced off a nibble, slowly lifting it to his mouth. He swished it around inside his mouth as if seeking the bouquet of a fine wine, teasing the waiting crowd. Being an authority on apples, Pippin detected nothing new on his tongue; it tasted average. Though, Pippin understood that any comment other than praise would crush his poor wife. He looked at Lilas, “It’s absolutely delicious.” He wasn’t being deceptive--it did taste…good.

Lilas was almost beside herself, grinning from ear to ear. “Ye really like it?” It was just what the tween needed to hear. She felt it had been a long time since she had done anything right.

 

* *

Lilas had grown tired after the little gathering in the dining room, so Pervinca offered to walk her sister-in-law to hers while Pippin and Merimas stayed in the dining room cleaning up--or rather eating up, the last of the apple pie. A half hour had past when the lads, too, felt weariness descending upon them. They each decided to take a nap before dinner in their own quarters.

On his way, Pippin passed his old bedroom. The door was open. Going in to investigate, he found his mother softly humming a lullaby and sitting in his rocking chair. Without taking her attention away from the sleeping babe in her arms, Eglantine stopped singing briefly to address her own son, “Come in, Pippin. Come and see your newest nephew.”

Pippin had seen Brody before at Brandy Hall, but he stepped further inside, looking over his mother’s shoulders at the small infant. “He’s grown.” The last time Pippin had seen the baby was during the Yule season.

“Why don’t you hold him?”

Pippin hesitated but a second, then reached down for his mother to lay the child into his arms. He sat down in the chair across from Eglantine. Pippin observed the peaceful little face. He never felt the reality of his pending fatherhood clearer than at this moment. Brody was soft and warm, all wrapped in his little blanket. Pippin smiled to think that in a couple of years, this same small babe would be running his sister ragged at Brandy Hall with his bundle of ceaseless energy.

Eglantine watched her son cradle his nephew in his arms. He reminded her of a young Paladin holding their baby daughter for the first time. Pippin was just a lad himself. Eglantine laid aside her own hurts and fears for her boy, and then smiled thoughtfully. “You look frightened.”

Pippin looked up at his mother. “No,” he said, “not frightened…petrified. But…I just wonder.”

At least his humor was filtering back into his conversation. “Wonder about what?”

“Will I be a good father? I mean, as good as my father?”

“I think that you will. You have plenty of family to help you through all of this.” Then the awful loneliness Lilas must be feeling of being discarded by her family crossed Eglantine’s mind. She added, “You both do.”

* *

Later, as Lilas made ready to get under the blankets of their bed, she sensed another presence in the bedroom with her. Looking up, she saw it was Pippin, dressed in his nightshirt. Without a word, he slipped under the covers, lying on ‘his’ side of the bed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List