Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Hello: this is Pippinfan. Unhobbity Hobbit mentioned Lilas starving herself in her review. I don’t want folks thinking she’s starving herself, so I tweaked that portion of this chapter to show that Lilas is *not* doing that. She’s a bundle of nerves, frightened, and really does not know what to expect *because* her own mother couldn’t bring up the subject, or didn’t have the chance to--as she was pretty much kicked out of the house shortly after her father learned of her condition. I value everyone’s opinion! Doesn’t mean I’m going to change the story every time, but I felt Unhobbity had a valid point. Thank you Unhobbity Hobbit! :- )

Chapter Seven - Beginnings

The ceremony--if you want to call it that, took place inside the private dining room of the Thain. The persons attending were immediate family and those whose signature would be required on the marriage document.

Pervinca, Merimas, and their baby son, Brodimas arrived at Great Smials the day before. Pearl and her family arrived a few hours after Pervinca late in the afternoon. She had traveled all the way from the northern-most parts of the Westfarthing. Pippin thought for certain that his sister might not come at all; the Smials did not hold many happy memories for his eldest sister. He wished that he too could run to the farthest reaches of the Shire or of the High King’s Realm. But no; he didn’t run when it came to doing his part for the Shire before the Black Gate, and he would not run now.

The Bride wore a yellow dress that Pimpernel no longer used, though Lilas thought it may as well have been new. It looked as if no one had worn it yet. Pervinca and Pearl helped their sister to alter the dress for Lilas. Eglantine ordered Pippin to wear a jacket and matching waistcoat. Whether he liked it or not, she would have him dress up for the occasion.

Many eyes were being dabbed when Pippin said his vows--even Pippin was wiping his eyes. There were plenty of tears to go around among the participants and guests, though none were of the happy sort. Afterwards, while the refreshments were being served, the witnesses hovered around one end of the long table to sign the formal document.

Pippin and Lilas sat in opposite corners of the dining room; Lilas sat quietly in her chair sipping cider while Pippin sulked in his own chair, tending to a mug of ale. He caught her looking at him then she quickly turned away when she perceived him glancing in her direction. No words needed to be said; the air between bride and groom was on edge. Pippin’s thoughts were broken when he heard someone sit down beside him at the table.

“You looked like you needed company.” Frodo said, but his expression held no mirth.

“What I need is an arrow shot through my heart,” Pippin replied wryly.

“What’s done is done,” offered Frodo. “I’m not judging you, Pip. I just wanted you to know that if you need anything, let me know. We’re still friends, right?”

Pippin’s lip began quivering. He imagined all of his friends abandoning him when they learned of his indiscretion. Instead, they were all present here at his wedding--planned or not--signing as witnesses. Reaching towards Frodo, he embraced his cousin, “Always--and thank you, Frodo.”

* * *

Pippin and Lilas followed Paladin and Merry through the various halls towards the quarters that had been prepared for their residence. Absentmindedly, Pippin fell into step behind his cousin, who trailed behind his uncle. Lilas was walking behind all three, gazing at all the Thain’s chattel; the decorative brass wall sconces, velvet tapestries that hung in the hallways, large floor vases and well-polished hall tables. Looking over one of the tables, she saw a huge mirror that hung upon the wall. Lilas stopped to touch it’s frame, and as she did so she felt a soft mat underneath her toes. Lilas stooped on her haunches to feel the texture of the runner. Before long, she was entirely lost in the interior design of the tunnel. There were no such luxuries in her father’s home. All of a sudden, Lilas realized she was alone. She stood up, whirling round towards the hallway she thought that they were all headed for, quickly walking in effort to catch up to them.

After a few twists and turns, Lilas still did not meet up with the other three--but she was certain she was headed in the right direction. Then she came upon the end of the hallway--the end of the hallway. Where was Pippin? Merry? Lilas knew she was lost. She was just beginning to panic when she heard a familiar voice--or, at least, somewhat familiar.

“Lilas!” Pippin stood at the far end of the tunnel calling to her. “This way.”

Lilas made her way towards her husband, wiping the tears from her eyes. “I--I’m sorry. I must’ve taken a wrong turn.”

Pippin said nothing, guiding Lilas back in the direction that he came from. When they had walked past a couple hallways, Lilas saw an open door. She tried her best to remember which hallways were where.

“Lilas, this is where you and Pippin will be living,” announced Paladin. “Merry and I have a few things to attend to, so we will leave you two here for the present.”

Pippin gave a surprised look to his father, “But I wanted to visit longer with Pearl and Pervinca. I haven’t seen Pearl in a long time.”

Lilas felt very small and insignificant sitting on the chair. “He doesn’t have t’ stay with me.”

“See?” Pippin implored, “she doesn’t need me here.”

Paladin sensed the lessons to his tween-aged son in being a husband and father were already beginning. “Pippin, the past few days have been long and emotionally draining for your wife. She’s pregnant with your child--she needs her rest. You are to see that she rests for the next couple of hours. Pearl and Pervinca will be here for a few days, so you will have plenty of time for visitation.” With that said, Paladin left the room.

Merry shrugged his shoulders apologetically, “I’ll look in on you both a little later.” He then closed the door, following his uncle down the hallway.

Pippin sank down into the couch with a heavy sigh. Lilas sat in her chair. There was a long silence, and it was deafening.

Lilas knew that Pippin would rather be anywhere but here with her. “I’m sorry.”

“It seems that we both are,” he replied sullenly, then got up and went into the other room.

When Lilas woke up, she was lying on the bed covered with a blanket. She figured Pippin must have carried her in here. Quietly she arose, hearing conversation in low volume out in the sitting room.

“Hello, Lilas,” said Pervinca, bouncing an infant in her lap. “I’m sorry if Brody woke you up. He’s becoming quite the talker these days.” The baby smiled, gurgling his greeting.

Lilas smiled wearily, leaning against the doorway. “Brody is his name? So sweet he is. How old is he?”

“He just turned five months,” answered Pervinca.

“You see, Brody?” Merimas laughed, letting his baby son curl his little hand around his finger. “all you have to do is smile to get a lass’s attention.” Pervinca nudged her husband.

No sooner had Lilas started walking towards the couch that the room began spinning. She stopped, reaching out to grab something that was stable. In one quick motion, Pervinca handed Brody to Merimas and reached out to help Lilas. Pippin also got up to help her sit down.

“When was the last time you ate, Lilas?” Pervinca asked. She didn’t remember her sister-in-law partaking of the finger foods set out after the ceremony in the dining room.

“It was some time ago,” the lass confessed.

“Are you hungry, Lilas?” Pippin asked.

“A little,” she lied. Truth was, she was very hungry. She tried to eat breakfast, but it kept coming back up. She tried nibbling on dry biscuits, but that wouldn’t stay down either. Finally she gave up because the ceremony was due to start.

Pippin walked over to the mantelpiece, took a small bell off the shelf, opened the door to the hallway and rang it. Soon Lilas could hear low murmuring taking place.

“Lilas,” Pervinca chided her, “if you want to have a healthy baby then you need to eat properly.”

“But I only got sick afterward,” Lilas moaned, speaking of the breakfast she tried to eat. “I hated getting sick so much.”

“Probably nerves,” said Merimas observed, a healer at Brandy Hall.

“It’s part of being pregnant,” said Pervinca.

“What other things are gonna happen t’ me?” Lilas wondered out loud.

Pervinca puzzled at the lass’ remark. “What other--? Hasn’t your mother talked to you at all, Lilas?”

She shook her head, “What was my ma s’posed to talk to me about?”

Pervinca took Lilas by the arm, helping her to stand up. “Come along, Lilas. Merimas, will you be all right with Brody for a while?” She didn’t wait for her husband’s answer, continuing with Lilas out the door. “Pippin, tell the server to bring her tray to Pimpernel’s room. It’s time for us women to have a chat.” “What other things are gonna happen t’ me?” Lilas wondered out loud.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List