Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 57

“Frodo, could we speak with you for a moment?”

Frodo was taking advantage of the break in the assembly to read in the south garden; he was mildly annoyed to have his mood broken into by Odovocar and Freddy, but he pushed it down. He knew that Freddy at least, would not be disturbing him for anything minor.

“Certainly, Odovocar, Freddy,” he answered, “do join me.”

Odovocar cleared his throat. “What can you tell me about the King’s court in Gondor? What was it like to be one of only a few hobbits in a city full of Men?”

Frodo looked a bit startled, but he noticed the avid look on Fredegar’s face, and the pieces suddenly fell into place. Of course.

“Well, of course it is all very grand and formal. You saw for yourself the night of the Ball how they go in for titles and so forth. But the people are very friendly and well-disposed to hobbits. One problem that we had to get used to was their tendency to see us as children, not only because of our size, but because we are so much less formal. Hobbits tend to show their emotions more than Men do. But this is not a mistake the King ever makes, and he sets the tone for his court. He treated us fondly and familiarly, but not like children, except, of course,” Frodo gave a rare smile, “sometimes for Pippin, who still was a tween, though he had matured a great deal. Of course, everything is too large, from beds to chairs to dishes. Yet we did all right, and as you can see, it is just as uncomfortable for the Men who have come here to deal with everything being too small for them. I think they have coped admirably under the circumstances.”

Odovocar nodded thoughtfully.

Fredegar looked hopeful. “You see, Father, I should be perfectly fine.” He glanced at Frodo. “I suppose you have guessed I would like to volunteer for the embassy.”

Frodo nodded. “It did cross my mind that was where the questions were leading. Odovocar, I know that it might come hard to you to let your only son travel so far away, but I must say, I think Fredegar would represent us very well. He speaks some Sindarin, and has shown that he can get along with Men, Elves and Dwarves. If all goes right--and I must be honest and say that there is always the possibility something can go wrong--he should only be gone for a year: three months or so of travel, six months in the White City, and then the travel back here to the Shire.”

Odovocar nodded. He looked at Freddy. “Your mother may not like this.”

“You are head of the clan, Father, and so I would like your permission. But I am of age, and would like to do this.”

“Very well, I will put it to Paladin and Saradoc. If they are of the same opinion as Frodo, you have my blessing, son.” Truthfully, Odovocar was pleased. It seemed his old Freddy was almost back, and all because of his interest in these outlanders. He would do almost anything to keep the light on in his son’s eyes.

_____________________________________________________

“Master Brandybuck,” started the old hobbit.

“Denham, you are head of a family now, please call me Saradoc.”

“I’ll try. But it goes hard to change the way I’ve spoken all my life. Anyway, that’s just the point. I’m the head of the Bankses now, but I don’t feel ready for it nohow. But my two oldest boys, Denny, that is young Denham, and Rolly, they will need to be ready to take over when my time comes. They are going to need to learn more about the world and things than I ever needed to know. They are right bright and curious lads, too. I’m thinking that if they went down and stayed in that big city of Men for a while, they might learn a bit about how to be a good head of the family when the time comes. And it would help them that folks would remember they spent time there and hob-nobbed with kings and all.”

“I see,” said Saradoc. He thought the old fellow had a good point. There were going to be some families that would now hold the Bankses in less esteem because the head of the family was a working class hobbit. If he could get his sons away from that it would help. Very astute of him. “But how do *they* feel about this idea? Are they willing?”

“Oh, those two lads are quite taken with the King’s Men, ever since they came to the Bridge and was so polite and all. They think this is a right good idea.”

Saradoc nodded. He had heard some of the things that Denny had said about the Men. He was indeed “taken” with them. “Well, Denham, I’d like to sound them out personally, make sure they really are of the same mind on this, and if they are then I shall see what the Thain and the Mayor think, and we will put their names to the assembly.”

______________________________________________________________

“Well, Lavender, what do you think?” asked Poppy. She really hoped her friend would agree.

“I’ll put it to Polo, and let you know if it‘s all right with him.”

“Do you think it will be?” Poppy had never married, and the thought of having to get a husband’s permission rather put her back up.

Lavender laughed. “He’ll probably argue a bit, but if he thinks I really want to do it, he’ll agree. It will be good for my professional status if nothing else.”

______________________________________________________________

There was a knock on the door of the Thain’s study.

“Come in.” he didn’t look up from the papers he was perusing, thinking it was probably Everard.

“Paladin?”

“Merimac! What can I do for you?” Paladin was surprised to see Saradoc’s brother.

Merimac came in and took the seat across from the Thain. Now that he’d come to press his point, he felt a bit reluctant to do so. Still, it needed to be said. He took a deep breath. “I wonder what you would think of the idea of Berilac being one of the embassy? He expressed an interest in it when he first heard about it, and it was one reason he was so upset over having to stay in Buckland when we came to the assembly.”

Paladin looked thoughtful. “How do you feel about it?”

Merimac sighed. “Well, I’d as soon he stayed nearer home, but ever since Merry came back, I’ve seen the wanderlust in his eyes. For all that he’s two years older, he acts like a hero-worshipping tweenager when it comes to his cousin. Not that Merry doesn’t deserve it, when I think of all the lad went through. But I’d rather it be something useful like this than just taking off after adventure. Of course that’s not what Merry or Pippin did; Frodo needed them, but the circumstances have changed.”

“Why are you approaching me, instead of your brother?” Although Paladin had a notion of the reason.

“Berilac has been Sara’s right hand for a while, when Merry was gone, and even now he’s back, Beri still has a lot of the responsibilities. Merry had to spend so much time getting rid of ruffians; and of course he still has times when--” Merimac’s voice trailed off. He knew Pippin’s father would know what he was talking about.

“When he’s not well, just as Pippin and Frodo do, and I daresay young Samwise as well.” Paladin nodded. “But it would be good for Merry if his father were relying more on him again. Why don’t we approach your brother together, and see how he feels. I will tell you that I got the chance to get acquainted better with your son when we rode to Buckland together, and I think he would do very well.”

Merimac blushed at the praise of his son. “Thank you.”

__________________________________________________

No sooner had Merimac left than there was another knock on his door.

Paladin sighed. It seemed like he was fated to never finish this paperwork.

“Enter,” he said, with a touch of exasperation.

It was Poppy Burrows.

“Poppy! Has Opal taken a turn for the worse?”

“No.” She shook her head and laughed ruefully. “That is the first thing anyone thinks of when they see a healer: bad news about a patient. No, this is about me.”

“You?” Paladin felt a bit out of his depth, but then Poppy could always do that to him.

“I’ve been the Took family healer for thirty-five years. Have I ever taken any time off?”

“I don’t know? Have you?”

“Not for any length of time, I haven’t. But I want to make up for it now. I’d like to be off for a year.”

Paladin’s jaw dropped. “A *year*!”

“Now, now, don’t have apoplexy on me. Peregrin’s not ready to be Thain yet. I have made arrangements. Normally, I would have my apprentice take over, but Viola is still too young, and besides that I want her with me. However, Lavender Bunce is an excellent healer with a good reputation. She is willing to come and take over for me until I return.”

“Return?” Paladin felt completely confused. It seemed all he could do was echo her last word. “Where are you going?”

“I plan to accompany the ones who go South, of course. I want to learn some of those healing methods that the King uses, and some of those herbs that work so well for them. The time spent will be well worth it, for when we return, we will know so much more.”

“But--but what about Opal? What about Pimpernel’s baby? What about the Mistress’s headaches?” That worried him mightily; Eglantine was subject occasionally to dreadful headaches. “What about--”

“I told you, Lavender Bunce is an excellent healer. Her apprentice in Budgeford is old enough to take over for her, and there are a couple of other good healers there. Her husband is willing for her to do this, so I don’t see the problem.”

“But we’ll miss you, Poppy.” He thought he must sound like Pippin as a child whenever Merry went home to Buckland.

She laughed. “But I’ll be back. This is an opportunity to bring some much needed knowledge to the Shire. Think about it as Thain.”

He drew a deep breath. “You are absolutely right. And I have no right to forbid you anyway, you are not my family, though we have always thought of you that way.”

“I thank you for that, Paladin. Trust me that this is a good thing. And though I’d go even if you did forbid it, it is better that I have your leave to do so.” She smiled fondly, to take the sting out of her words. She had been ready to brave his temper. But she was glad that she’d not had to do so.

________________________________________________________________

It was early afternoon when Eradan looked up as two figures topped the shallow rise on the other side of Sarn Ford. “Mellor--someone’s coming.”

The Ranger of the North looked across. “Looks like the Thain’s messenger made good time indeed.”

As the figures became more visible, Eradan gave a start, and grinned. “It looks like it must be Sir Peregrin and Sir Meriadoc.” For of course, no other hobbits of the Shire wore the livery of Gondor and Rohan. Though neither he nor Mellor had ever met the two young Knights, they knew all about them.

The small prisoner gave a bit of a groan at the thought that they were coming to take him away--and *those* two! He had seen what Meriadoc Brandybuck had done to Banks’s sons.

Mellor gave him a grim smile. “The Thain must want you very badly to send his son and his nephew after you.”

By this time Merry and Pippin had reached the Ford. “Hoy!” cried Merry “We’re coming over!”

“Come right ahead!” called Mellor.

They splashed up out of the water and dismounted. “We’re Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck, at your service,” said Pippin, “the Thain sent us for your prisoner.”

“Certainly, Sir Peregrin,” said Mellor, “although we were not expecting to see you quite so soon.”

Merry gave Pybba an affectionate slap on the rump. “These two sturdy lads wanted to show off. I believe we raced almost the whole way here.” He laughed.

“And who won?” asked Mellor, smiling. These two had more than their fair share of hobbit charm, especially the Took.

“Well,” said Pippin, “we decided that over shorter distances, Sable here is definitely the faster--”

“But--” interrupted Merry, “over the longer distances, Pybba can easily leave him behind.” He turned to look at Dago, becoming serious. “So I see that you caught our runaway traitor.”

Bracegirdle flinched at the word. “I wasn’t a traitor! I was just making a business decision.” He quailed at the sudden blaze of fury coming from grey eyes and green. “I didn’t know what Lotho would do!”

“That’s a foul lie!” started Pippin hotly.

“Easy, Pip.” Merry gave Dago a disdainful glare. “You knew enough. Besides the decision’s been made and judgment rendered. You can take it up with the Thain and the assembly when we get back, if they will let you.”

“By the way,” said Mellor, “he tried to bribe me to let him go free. I believe you will find quite a bit of his ill-gotten gains on his pony.”

Pippin goggled at Dago. “You thought you could bribe one of the King’s Rangers? Bracegirdle, I don’t know how anyone as stupid as you could have lived this long!”

Mellor and Eradan both chortled at Pippin’s statement.

“Would you care to take some lunch with us before you head back?” asked Eradan. “We’ve a nice squirrel stew in the pot.”

Merry and Pippin looked at one another, and shrugged. “Why not, if you’ve enough, that is. We’ve just been snacking from our saddlebags, and haven’t really had a proper meal since we left last night,” answered Pippin.

“And then we will really have to go and take this wretch off your hands,” put in Merry.

Dago slumped in defeat, and sank back down to sit on the ground. Not for the first time, he wished his cousin Lobelia had never met Otho Sackville-Baggins.

______________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List