Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 45

On his way out of the ballroom after leaving Bergil with his aunt, it occurred to Pippin that if someone had attacked Danulf and stolen the horses, it might be a useful thing to have a sword in hand. He detoured to his room to fetch it, and after a second’s thought, popped next door to bring Merry his sword as well.

As he came out of Merry’s room bearing his cousin’s sword and scabbard, he heard feet pounding up the passage towards him, and he spun, sword out.

Reggie came to an abrupt halt. It was his first encounter with warrior trained reflexes. He hoped it would be his last.

“Stars above! Pippin, what are you doing with your sword?”

Quickly and briefly, he explained, and then turned to hurry away.

“Wait!” said Reggie. He had gone pale.

“What is it?” asked Pippin, impatient to get to the encampment and see what was going on.

“Opal has run away. She went out her window, and is gone. If there is someone out there attacking people--”

Pippin got the point immediately. “Come with me, Reggie. We’ll need to let them know that she may be out there.” Even if she did not encounter Danulf’s assailant, they would be searching, and she might end up hurt by mistake.

______________________________________________________

Men and hobbits arrived in haste at the encampment, to find Legolas and Gimli watching over Danulf’s prone form. Éothain bent by his Man’s side, clearly worried.

“His breathing and his pulse are steady,” the Elf reassured him.

“He had time to draw his sword,” said Gimli, “but I do not see signs of a fight.”

Targon nodded. He’d noticed that as well.

Just then Merry rushed up, with Poppy and Lavender in tow. The two healers went immediately to their patient. Viola came running up an instant later with Poppy’s satchel.

Poppy took out a small bottle, opened it and held it in front of his nose. He gave a bit of a sneeze, and then spoke.

It sounded like gibberish to the healer.

“What did he say?” asked Poppy.

“He asked ‘what happened’ in Rohirric,” said Éothain. He spoke back briefly in the same tongue.

“I am sorry,” said Danulf in Westron, trying to sit up.

“Lie still,” ordered Poppy. “You took a blow to the head. You may speak only if you don’t move.”

“The horses were frightened. I drew my sword?” He tried to shake his head, but the movement was too painful. “I do not know what happened.”

“I do,” said Frodo grimly. He stooped down and picked up the rock his sharp eyes had spotted. He grimaced at the sight of blood on it. He looked at Paladin, who had been standing out of the way, concern writ large on his face.

“You do know this means that it was a hobbit that did this?”

The Thain nodded. He should have known things were going too well. He exchanged a look with Saradoc. If they could not clear this up soon, all the good work accomplished by the Ball would be for nothing.

Legolas and Frodo began to look about the encampment. They found more rocks near the place where the horses had been picketed.

“The horses were not stolen. They were driven off.” Legolas threw back his head, and issued a piercing whistle, that carried far out over the night.

Out over the Green Hills Arod tossed his head. His Elf wanted him. He reared and turned, running swiftly back the way he came. The other horses followed.

Back at the campsite, Pippin and Reggie came running up. Pippin silently handed Merry his sword. Merry strapped it on without comment. Reggie stood there puffing; he needed to catch his breath.

Pippin turned to Paladin. “Father, Opal is out there. Apparently she climbed out her window and ran away. If whoever did this is still out there--” Pippin was still of a mind that it might somehow be ruffians.

“No, I don’t think so,” said Merry. “We think it was a hobbit. Whoever it was did it all by throwing rocks.”

Pippin did not find this a relief, but it was reassuring as far as Opal was concerned.

Éothain looked up from where he sat watching Poppy bandage Danulf’s head. “But she is out there where frightened horses are running free.”

Legolas and Frodo were still searching the ground around the perimeter of the camp. Suddenly the Elf gave a triumphant cry and stooped to the ground. Frodo darted to his side, to see what he had found.

Legolas held out his hand. Two shiny brass buttons, obviously torn from some hobbit’s nice evening jacket.

“Very well,” said Targon. “We need to send a party out to search for the horses, and for this lass you say has run away,” he wondered briefly what would cause a hobbit lass to run away from home, but it was none of his business. “We will take charge of that.”

Paladin looked at Reggie. “I think that some of us hobbits should accompany the search. Opal is likely to be fearful if Men find her. But we also need to find the culprit.” He paused a moment, his mind working.

“Frodo, I’d like you, with Pippin and Merry, to return to the ballroom and begin to make inquiries. We need to know who is missing these buttons. The rest of us will go with the search parties.”

“What do you want us to do with the culprit, Father?” asked Pippin.

“I will leave that up to your judgment. Targon, you will have myself, Saradoc, Reginard, and Samwise to help you with your search.”

Lavender looked up. “Poppy has her patient well in hand. I will go with you as well. You may be needing the services of a healer.”

Poppy nodded. “You may take Viola with you as well.”

“Very well,” said Targon. “Éothain, if you would allow your Men to be under my command? I know that you will wish to stay with Danulf.”

Legolas put in “Arod is likely returning, and if I know aught of horses, the rest will be with him. We need to concentrate on finding the little one.”

Targon turned to his Men, who had been quietly awaiting orders. “Borondir, if you would, please see to torches for everyone.”

Frodo, Merry and Pippin made their way back to the Smials, to the ballroom, buttons in Frodo’s hand.

_____________________________________________

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List