Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 17

The afternoon had worn on, and Targon had made arrangements for a light repast. “Afternoon tea” was not a meal in the South, but the Shirefolk were used to it, and the mealtimes of hobbits was one of the things that King Elessar had told Targon of, when he was briefing him for the journey.

Merry and Pippin were amused. It was not a “proper tea”, but it was clear that the Men had made an effort, and they made sure their fathers knew it. Afterwards, the Rohirrim wished to show off their newfound skill in smoking. Éothain still had to speak on behalf of his king to the Shire leaders, but believed a respite from serious business was in order. He thought that in a short while, he would call them together.

Paladin decided to take the opportunity to draw Adrahil aside, and ask him about Pippin’s encounter with the troll. His story was just as the child Bergil had reported it.

“Let me understand this, Adrahil, for I am no fighter.” Paladin thought for a second unsure how to word his question. “You are saying that Pippin actually *caused* the troll to fall on him?”

“He came from behind and hamstrung the monster, and then moved in so that it would fall with all its weight upon his sword. He would not have been able of himself to deal it a death stroke; he had neither the strength nor the reach.” Adrahil’s eyes filled with tears. “It was a noble deed, and I had no doubt that he was sacrificing his life for mine and my brother’s. My joy and amazement on finding he still lived was great. Your son has more courage and heart than many a Man twice his size, and an endurance that astonishes all who know him.”

Paladin was silent, absorbing this news. It was as he had thought. He was not sure of what he was feeling; he ought to be proud to have a son who was so brave. But the idea that Peregrin had held his own life so lightly disturbed him. And it brought home to him once more just how close he had come to being right about his son being dead. He felt lost, trying to understand something that was far beyond his experience. Yet he thought he had to try.

Just then Saradoc came up. “Paladin, Éothain wishes to speak with us now.”

Paladin, Saradoc and Frodo returned to the tent which was being shared by the two leaders of the delegation. Even Frodo was puzzled. He had expected the reply from Aragorn, but he could not begin to imagine what the King of Rohan might have to say to them.

The Rohirrim were a direct people, and Éothain was no exception. He got right to the point.

“After Isengard was thrown down, King Elessar gave it into the keeping of the Ents and of Treebeard. However, Orthanc is still within the borders of Rohan. Éomer King received a message from Treebeard that a great store of treasure and of goods had been found within the tower. Since these are of no use or interest to Ents, he wished to know how it was to be disposed. We also found some written records, which showed his evil dealings with the Shire. We took all of it away to Edoras, and our king consulted with King Elessar. It was agreed that the treasure of Saruman be used to pay reparations to the people of the Westfold he had despoiled, and to those widowed and orphaned by his wicked deeds. Yet our king believes that some of that reparation is also due to the Shire; he has set aside one fifth of the treasure and one fifth of the value of the goods, to be paid to your land as a weregild for the grief Saruman caused here in your own country.”

The three hobbits looked at one another in shock. This was not something any of them could have possibly imagined. Paladin finally found his voice. “Exactly how much treasure are we talking about here?”

Éothain’s answer stunned them. “We brought only a portion of it with us, as a token of our intent." he added. "This party would not have been large enough to guard such a great hoard.” He brought forward a small chest similar to the one that had brought Merry’s gift, and handed Paladin a key.

He opened it with trepidation, Frodo and Saradoc looking anxiously over his shoulder. This one held not silver, but the glitter of gold! As one, the three hobbits gasped.

Éothain smiled at them. “Does this please you?” he asked with a twinkle in his eye.

“I should say so!” exclaimed Frodo. Paladin and Saradoc simply nodded, wide-eyed.

______________________________________________

The leader of the Rohirrim had left the three hobbits alone in the tent to think about this news, and to decide what to do about it. This was certainly unexpected, and very welcome. It would go a long way toward undoing much of the damage that Saruman had wrought. Homes and inns could be rebuilt; families that had lost a breadwinner to the ruffians could be supported--it would not make up for loss of life or for the devastation that the Shirefolk had been forced to witness, but it would certainly be a help.

Paladin was the first to speak. “This is more of a responsibility than the three of us can handle alone. We are going to have to call in the heads of the families.”

“I agree,” said Saradoc.

For the most part, business that concerned the entire Shire was handled by the Thain, with help now and then from the Master and the Mayor. But for electing the Mayor, and for matters that were too large or too controversial for the three of them, a consensus of the heads of the major families in the Shire was sought. This was rare, other than the election of the Mayor.

Frodo looked thoughtful. “It would be a good idea to choose among them for our seven witnesses as well. Where and when should we call on them to meet?”

“Normally we would meet in Michel Delving, but there are no inns there now,” said Paladin.

“That’s going to be a problem most places. We can’t ask them to camp out, and for that many people…” Frodo shook his head.

“We can’t host them at Brandy Hall or the Great Smials. There would be talk of the Tooks or Brandybucks trying to influence them.” Saradoc shook his head.

Paladin looked thoughtful. “I cannot ask them to stay at the Great Smials, but Tuckborough still has its inns. Lotho never got near them.”

“Then it’s agreed? We will call a council of families at Tuckborough?” asked Saradoc.

“Yes,” said Frodo, “and I think that our new friends will need to be there as well. Are we three agreed that these Men may have permission to enter the Shire?”

“Indeed,” said Paladin. Saradoc nodded. They went to give the news to Targon and Éothain.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List