Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 15

As soon as Paladin had arrived the previous evening, Saradoc had sent a messenger to the Bridge to let the delegation know that they would be arriving the next morning between elevenses and luncheon.

Targon and Éothain were prepared for the visit. They had laid on a nice meal, since they would be dealing with hobbits, and had spruced the campsite up considerably.

“Do you think that they will be agreeable to your King’s edict, Targon?” Éothain asked.

“I believe so, as most of the proposals came originally from them in the first place. There may be some concern over details, but His Majesty has given me full authority to do whatever they wish. He said to trust the Ringbearer, who will see that all is done justly and fairly. If it were anyone else, I would like it not; but the King says that Frodo son of Drogo is the most honorable person in the Two Kingdoms, and that he would never ask for anything that should not be.”

“Your duty is foremost, yet I would that it be done quickly and well. I have my own instructions from Éomer King. Yet I do believe that they will find his news to be welcome.” Éothain smiled to himself. He thought that the would find his kinsman Éomer’s news to be very welcome indeed.

“We will deal swiftly, I think with our business, my friend. From my knowledge of Sir Peregrin and his kin, the pheriannath are a practical and direct people, and do not make unnecessary complications. And then we can be on with the more pleasant task of making the acquaintance of the Shirelings.”

Éothain grinned. “I think for my part they will be as glad of that as we. The holbyltla seem to enjoy hospitality.” For ever since they had presented their stipends to Meriadoc and Peregrin, some of the more daring local hobbits had been stopping by the encampment with gifts of food and ale. They had seen more cakes, pies, and other assorted good foodstuffs in the last day and a half than they had seen since they left Gondor and Rohan months before.

“For my part,” Targon smiled, “I shall have to be careful, lest my armor no longer fit by the time we leave for home. But I hope that we have time to visit with our small Knights. The Third Company sorely missed the lively chatter of our Peregrin when he went home.”

“As do we miss our Holdwine Meriadoc. He has promised me that if I ever made my way to his home in the Shire, to teach to me the art of smoking leaf.”

“Mayhap I will learn this thing as well,” smiled Targon, “as King Elessar seems to be very fond of it. It might start a fashion in Minas Tirith.”

___________________________________________________

Immediately after first breakfast, Saradoc, Paladin and Bergil rode to Crickhollow to meet the rest of the party travelling to the Bridge. They were mounted and waiting. Merry was on the new gelding, Pybba, and Pippin was on Sable. It was Paladin’s first sight of the gift pony, and he was most impressed.

Pippin looked splendid in his black and silver livery, with his gleaming chain of knighthood upon his breast, and his Elven cloak spreading down behind him, mounted upon the beautiful black pony. Looking at him, for the first time, Paladin felt a real pride in the way his son *looked*. He recalled how the uniform of Gondor had irritated him when Pippin had first come home. He had got more or less used to it, but until now he always thought he’d rather see his son in a plain shirt and weskit. Yet this morning he looked totally appropriate.

They made quite a party as they rode north to the Bridge. As they passed through the village of Newbury, a crowd came out to stare after them, as though they were a parade: cheering, clapping and waving.

When they reached the Road, instead of turning to the Bridge, Saradoc led them on across to the Men’s encampment.

Of course the soldiers had seen them coming, and had all lined up to greet them.

They dismounted, and Danulf and Borondir came forward to lead the mounts away to the picket where the horses were. Legolas led Arod himself, and there was no dispute on this. The Elf’s steed let no other handle him.

Pippin took it upon himself to introduce his father to each of the Men by name. The Thain was impressed by the discipline and courtesy of these Men, so unlike the ruffians that he had seen in the past.

Pippin only knew the Men of Rohan by name, but when he introduced the Men of the White Tower, he had something to say about each of them.

“Father, this is Targon, leader of this company, and the second Man that I met in Minas Tirith, after Beregond.”

“This is Borondir. We very frequently had guard duty together at the palace, and upon the wall. He is also second cousin twice removed to our Bergil.” Borondir smiled to himself. He had known that he was in some distant relationship to Beregond and Bergil, through his father Berehil, but he’d had no idea of the degree. It had taken Pippin only three or four questions to determine it. The perian had been puzzled that Borondir did not know it himself.

Paladin felt relieved. So the child was not traveling without family after all.

“These are Artamir and Adrahil, brothers, who were with me at the Last Battle.” Paladin looked at them sharply, remembering what Pearl had told him. They bowed solemnly to him.

“Thain Paladin, it is a pleasure to us to meet the father of Sir Peregrin, who saved our lives,” said Adrahil.

Pippin looked apprehensively at his father. Paladin ignored his look and spoke to Adrahil. “I look forward to your telling of this tale.” He wanted the first hand account. Beside him, Pippin swallowed audibly.

After the introductions were made, a luncheon had been spread upon a snowy white cloth upon the ground. Saradoc chuckled when he saw the fare that had been laid. “I don’t think that all of this is camp food,” he said.

“No, much of it has been brought to us by your people, who seemed to feel we did not have enough to eat,” replied Targon. “After we have taken our repast, we will discuss the King’s message to you.”

_____________________________________________

After the luncheon ended Targon took Saradoc, Paladin and Frodo to his tent to discuss the King’s message. Éothain excused himself, as this was the business of Gondor and Arnor. But he told the Shire leaders that his king, too, had business with them, and they would discuss it later.

As the rest of them waited, Bergil busied himself with the washing up. He refused Sam’s offer of help, saying “This is *my* duty, Master Samwise. It would not be proper for you to help.” Of course, Sam could not dispute this, as he had used the same argument with Frodo most of his life.

Merry and Pippin overheard the exchange and sniggered. “It’s a shame that Frodo didn’t hear that,” said Merry. “We must be sure to tell him. I wish he could have seen Sam’s face.”

“That’s my Bergil!” grinned Pippin. Sam heard them and groaned. No chance they would not tell Mr. Frodo.

Merry decided to give Éothain his first smoking lesson, with much advice from Sam and Gimli, and some good-natured teasing from the rest of the Rohirrim, whom they soon coaxed into trying it as well. Legolas watched in amusement for a few minutes, and then went for a walk in the nearby woods.

Pippin used the chance to chat with his friends of the Third Company; they sat about and had a good gossip, with news of the comrades who had been left behind in Minas Tirith.

“When it was announced,” said Borondir “that this delegation would be coming to your homeland to see you there was much clamor to be chosen to come. King Elessar chose us himself, and I do not know why we four were so lucky, but I am glad. We have all missed our Ernil i Pheriannath very much.”

Pippin blushed. He knew they were teasing, calling him “Prince of Halflings”, for they all knew how much it embarrassed him, but it was very nice to know that he had been missed.

__________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List