Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Orcs, Dungeons and Little Sisters.  by eokat

Orcs, Dungeons and Little Sisters.

Chapter Four.

He woke, it was dark, the nightly noises were somewhat strange, not what he was used to at all. A sudden urge to find his mother ran through him and Eomer sprang out of bed and went to his chamber door to open it…but the door was not there any more and it was so dark in the room he could not see his whereabouts. Panic rose within and his small hands feverishly groped their way along the wall, until he felt a differing texture, the wooden panels of the door. With a sigh of relief he turned the handle and rushed out into the corridor. Eomer froze at the confusing sight before him, a long corridor lay to left and right, a corridor of uncertainty.

 He was frightened, and instinct told him to head for the safe haven of his mothers arms but where was she? Before him were a myriad of doors up and down the long corridor, but behind which door lay his mother and father, ignorant to their son’s needs?

Rich hangings and tapestries billowed gently in the night causing him to shiver and not only with cold, a sudden noise from the guards in the halls below echoed loudly causing Eomer to run blindly down the long passageway desperately seeking comfort.

He opened a door at the far end of the long corridor, hopeful of finding his parents and froze when a voice shouted, “Who in the name of Eorl….OUT…get out ere I call the guard…”

“Sorry, uncle…” sobbed Eomer, recognizing the kings deep voice. He turned and was about to flee but before he got any further, strong arms lifted him and held him close.

“Hush, nephew, I didst not mean to alarm you, but you gave me quite the scare, bursting in on me like that.” He could feel Eomer trembling and his bare feet were as blocks of ice. It had been long years since he had woken up in the night to a child’s needs, and Theoden brought Eomer back within his chamber and placed him in the huge bed, as he had done with Theodred when his own son needed him in the night.

The king deftly wrapped a warm coverlet round the shaking form and held Eomer close to soothe his night fears away. “Well now, nephew,” he whispered gently looking down on the white face with love, “What brings you out of bed at this hour?”

“I..I..” stuttered Eomer, “I..I ..where is mother? I could not find her,” his voice shook still a little.

“Your mother rests, nephew, she is safe this night. Will you sleep now and seek her in the morn?” asked Theoden, realising that Eomer was but a child still and nothing but his mothers’ arms would do to placate his fears, but his brotherly concern for his sister’s health and rest reared into his mind also.

Eomer pondered and looked to his uncle as he spoke again, “If you like, you may stay here with me.”

Eomer smiled, “Here?”

“Yes, here. Would you like that?”

“And see mother in the morn?”

“At mornings first light,” Theoden smiled as Eomer yawned and nestled closer for warmth and together the king and future king drifted back into dreamless sleep.

                    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was with much amusement the following morn when Theodwyn learnt where her firstborn had slept the previous night, Eomund relating the tale with gusto whilst watching his wife eat of her breakfast from the full tray of food she had been given. A knock at the door announced Theoden himself and Eomund bowed as his king entered the chamber.

“Sister, you slept well?” he inquired, his eyes taking in her pallor.

“Aye brother mine, more than you though I deem?” Theodwyn laughingly answered.

“It seems the whole of Meduseld knows of my bed-partner,” frowned the king, “Glad am I that it was not such a bed-partner of whom gossip would be rife!”

“Brother, such words,” exclaimed Theodwyn, “What if the children would hear.” She scolded, to Theodens laughter of which reminded him heartily of her childhood years.

Eomer and Eowyn were both in the next chamber playing together, the door ajar so that their mother could listen for any mischief making.

Theoden glanced at his sisters children and then walked up to the bed and sat down next to his Theodwyn and spoke softly so as not to be overheard.

“Sister, the healer Lowell will see you shortly as Edmund requested and also an old friend, he added with a small smile.

“Whom?” inquired Theodwyn.

“Patience, and all will be revealed,” Theoden answered, spinning round as he heard the patter of feet running in behind him and stood to pick Eomer up and swung him round as Eowyn hid shyly still behind her Papa. Theoden held his arms out to his niece and she looked up to Eomund and on seeing his smile, reached out a hand to her Uncle and was hoisted aloft also to join in with her brothers’ giggles.

         ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later that morn Theoden sat with Eomund in his study, they had been discussing defences, had been discussing anything and everything to take their minds off their combined worries. A sharp knock on the door struck like a death knell, as Theoden bade Lowell enter and glanced grimly to Eomund whose face was stern and impassive. Accompanying the healer was Edythe, a renowned and experienced midwife in Edoras, the same Edythe of whom had tended the lady in the safe delivery of her son.

“Well,” the king barked harshly, his emotions reeling.

“The lady Theodwyn must rest and eat heartily of certain foods to replenish her body,” answered Lowell, “If she follows well this regime, her health will be much improved…”

“And tisanes of which must be given,” Edythe added, “Part of the birth sac remains within and if not expelled there is risk of infection and fever, my lord. When this has been expelled the lady will feel more to herself.”

“What ever my sister needs will be given, but say, have we all the herbs needed within the city?”

“Aye, majesty,” replied Edythe, “We need, Yarrow to stop the flow of blood, raspberry leaves and Echinacea to stop infection,” the old wife counted on her fingers all such remedies needed for the  healing process.

“Lavender,” added Lowell, nodding “ ’Tis most restful. Rosemary and wild oats,”

“Gentian and walnut,” finished Edythe. “By your leave, majesty, we must needs see to the application and brewing of these, may we have your leave to prepare the mentioned for the lady’s needs?”

Theoden nodded his agreement and both healer and midwife left the room discussing the variants of their herbal preparations to start on the morrow.

It was agreed that Theodwyn should be given nourishing meats and lights to replenish her blood, to drink of those mentioned tisanes once made and to rest and toil not, for she was loved dearly by the people of Rohan and by her kin.

Theodens surprise was duly ushered into his sister’s chamber, said surprise being a close childhood friend, lady Freya, now wed to Captain Eovail of Westfold and had but lately come to Edoras to visit her kin. Her children Eothain and Freda had journeyed also, and they were of an age with the children of the princess.

The ladies spent a happy hour in conversation and speaking of their past and present lives.

Lowell also looked to Eomer and Eowyn, he wanted not that their mother should have the daily worry of care, not until she regained her health and strength. But the stubbornness of the lady was well known and it was with husband, brother and friend that a plan was formulated and Eomund put such to her when they were alone later in the evening.

She had eaten well and Eomund broached the subject, “Beloved,” he began, and stopped, pondering his next words.

“Husband mine,” answered Theodwyn with deep suspicion, “I deem that there is something I wish not to hear!”

Eomund sighed and ran his hand through his hair, a sure sign of his anxiety, “Beloved”, he began again, “ You must rest….the children.”

“What about the children?” said Theodwyn panicking slightly at her thoughts, “Nay, please, let not them be taken away from me, taken back to the Aldburg, I could not bear that…” Tears began to flow and Eomund was most dismayed that his faltering tongue had caused her distress.

He held her close and tried to soothe her, “Theodwyn, my love, they are both to remain here. A maid- servant has been procured to tend them. Leoma is her name, youngest daughter of Leland, a worthy rider in his day, now he runs a smithy and is well renowned.

“So I am not to care for mine own children then?” she stiffened slightly.

“Only whilst you are so, you must rest and not have that worry, not until you have regained your strength.” Eomund whispered, trying to reassure her with his words.

Theodywn pulled away not happy with this news, they were HER children. She was their mother, she should be the one to look to the needs of her own

Eomund drew her back into his embrace, and Theodwyn relented and relaxed into his strong arms, “Beloved,” he murmured, kissing her lightly, “You must get well, our children will be tended, you will see them daily...”

“Aye, I know, but ‘tis hard to deliver them to the care of one I know not…” she bravely tried not to weep again and let the love from her husband flow into her.

They slept so, that night, Theodwyn nestled in the arms of her husband.

Next morn brought Freya come to visit and attempted to relieve the worries of Theodwyn. Leoma was spoken highly of and Freya herself would also see to the royal children.

So it was thus agreed, albeit grudgingly from Theodwyn that she rest and worry not. Eomer and Eowyn were to visit daily, and other times she would eat of her diet and drink of the tisanes prepared for her.

The healer called with the first of the drinks she was to imbibe of and the children were taken to play with Eothain and his sister, and thus began a regime of restful days undertaken without protest from the princess. Deep in her heart she knew to complain would only fall upon stony ground, best to let herself be healed and then…then she would be her own woman again and not be gainsaid by anyone, not even her brother the king.

Eomund was quite worried by this placid-ness in his wife, her usual sharp tongue, when in such a situation, was strangely quiet, and he pondered deeply upon this, thinking of her being sicker than he originally thought.

The afternoon brought Eomer running into her chamber, his eyes bright, cheeks glowing with excitement. Lowell had tried to chivvy him away but before Eomund could open his mouth his wife spoke first, “My son will visit when he needs to see me, Master healer,” her eyes flashed and Eomund hid a smile as the hapless Lowell tried to stammer a reply, “I will rest, I will eat of the diet you give me, I will drink of the bitter tasting unguents thrust into my lips, but I will NOT be denied access to mine own children. If they have need of me I am here for them. Do I make myself clear.”

“But..” stammered poor Lowell again, ”My Lady…”

Eomund cornered Lowell and whispered, “Think yourself lucky, man, she has fair flayed lesser men who only looked and spoke not. I am well pleased to see her so.”

“My lord?”

“This is the woman I wed, in all her glory,” he laughed, “Fear not, she will take your bitter tasting medicants and all you offer.”

Lowell left a rather puzzled man and Eomund revelled in the knowledge that his wife was not as morose as he had thought and he smiled to see his son chatting ten to the dozen about all the things he had seen that day.

 

TBC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List