Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Magnificent  by Pervinca

Magnificent

A/N: Chapters 7 and 8 will be companion pieces, with 7 being about those left behind in the Shire and 8 being about Pippin - where he went, who he saw, etc.


7: Living Without Pippin

A few days after Pippin set out from Crickhollow, word reached Brandy Hall that Peregrin Took had been summoned by the King of Gondor, and would not be attending Celandine's wedding. Celandine was highly suspicious of this, but would not go so far to call Merry (from whom the information had come from) a liar.

Pervinca, however, did, for word had also reached the Great Smials. Estella had invited Pervinca and Everard to stay at Crickhollow so that they could attend the wedding. Their daughter was left with her grandparents, who had little desire to go to Celandine Brandybuck's wedding if it was not their son that she was marrying. They had not been invited, in any case.

"Meriadoc, I would like you to tell me where my brother has really gone," Pervinca stated. "There's no need to tell me why; I've figured that part out for myself."

Merry was defeated. He had always found it hard to lie to Pervinca, as he had with Frodo and Pippin. Pervinca was also very good at seeing through the most convincing of fibs, so it was near impossible to put anything passed her, especially when it involved Pippin.

"To be honest, Vince, I don't know," Merry admitted. "He didn't want to be here for the wedding, and I wasn't about to make him. He's a grown lad now, no matter what we might like to think."

"I know," sighed Pervinca. "But that does not stop me from worrying about him. With all of us married, he's probably starting to feel very lonely."

"He still has Diamond, and I believe she may be another reason he wanted to get away. The poor lad is so confused; he doesn't know what to do."

Pervinca nodded. Always the matchmaker, she had asked Merry long ago to keep her informed about how Pippin and Diamond were getting along. Many of the letters Merry sent to Pervinca were of this sort, and Pervinca knew more than Pippin could ever suspect.

She sighed. "Well, I suppose all we can do is hope that everyone else believes the little story Pippin made up, but I doubt it. It's fairly common knowledge that Pippin and Celandine were practically betrothed."

True to Pervinca's prediction, few believed that a summon from the King was the real reason for Peregrin running off again. However, like Celandine, they were all too polite to say anything to Merry.

Meanwhile, Merry had noticed how quiet Crickhollow had become without Pippin there. It had been so long since they had last been apart, Merry had started to feel a little lost. When they had first returned to the Shire, after the destruction of the Ring and the Battle of Bywater, they had only been separated for a week at the most, while their families fussed over them (fortunately, since their families were so close, they had been fussed over by each other's parents also, and were able to see each other often enough). Before that, the last time they had been apart had been when Pippin left for the Great Battle.

Merry had always known that Pippin needed him around. When separated from Merry, Pippin easily became depressed (which was against his nature) and his nightmares were more frequent and frightening. Meriadoc was now starting to realise that perhaps he needed Pippin just as much.

But at least I have my Stella, he reasoned with himself, and with that thought, he went in search of her. In the end, she found him. Estella was particularly quiet on her feet (even for a hobbit), and thus, very good at sneaking. She had been the scout for Fredegar's rebel band.

She wrapped her arms around him from behind before he had even realised she was there. He turned around to return the embrace.

"I've been looking for you."

"I thought you might have been," she replied. "He'll come back, Merry. Don't you worry."

"How did you know that was what I was thinking about?" Merry asked.

"How did I know?" Estella gave a little laugh, which to Merry, sounded like bells. "I married you for a reason, didn't I?"

She earned a smile out of him for her efforts. Merry sat down, pulling Estella onto his lap.

"I understand that the two of you find it very difficult to be apart," Estella continued. "I sometimes feel that way about Diamond, though I doubt it's anywhere near how you feel. But, Merry, it's going to have to happen eventually. Pippin will be Thain one day, and he can't control Tookland from Crickhollow!"

Merry managed a lop-sided grin. He could always rely on Estella. "I suppose you're right, but I'm also worried about how he's coping."

"It was his choice, Meriadoc, and I know it was the right one for him." Estella kissed Merry's forehead. "Did he really love Celandine?"

Merry shrugged. "In his own way, yes, but it was a different sort of love. Nothing at all like the way I love you. He'll move on eventually, find someone else. If you had married someone else, I don't think I would have been able to go on. It would have been the end of me."

With tears sparkling in her eyes, Estella smiled. "Now, whatever could have made you think that I would ever have wanted to marry anyone else, Meriadoc Brandybuck?"

* * * * * *

Diamond was beginning to feel lost without Pippin around also. Though Estella was her closest friends, and Merry was a fine hobbit, it was with Peregrin that Diamond felt her strongest connection. The way she felt about Pippin was strange to her. She had never felt that way about anyone else.

“Are you going to come to the wedding?” Estella asked her one day.

Diamond shook her head. “There’s not really much point. I don’t know either of them all that well, and I was not properly invited. I’m not exactly a good replacement for Pippin.”

“I doubt Celandine would mind if you came, but if you do not wish to attend, then no one is going to make you.” Estella sighed. “You would certainly not be the only one not wishing to attend this wedding.”

“Who else?”

“Well, Pervinca has told me she and Everard only came because Pimpernel begged them to come. She did not want to be the only one of Pippin’s sisters attending Celandine’s wedding. And I know Merry is not particularly keen on the idea. He more than half-wishes that he went with Pippin.”

“But Pippin would not have let him come,” Diamond stated.

Estella smiled. “Diamond, the King of Rohan would not let my Meriadoc ride to war, but he still did. I doubt his young cousin would hold any authority over him.”

Diamond giggled. “Well, I suppose not. Estella, how did you know you were in love with Merry?”

The question was a shock to Estella, despite suspecting that Pippin and Diamond had feelings for one another. She smiled to herself, and made a mental note to speak with her cousin, Ferdibrand Took. Ferdi, always a punter, had been taking wagers on how long it would take Peregrin and Diamond to marry. Estella had found out about it from Fredegar, and had, at first, scolded her cousin for it. But now the idea of placing a bet sounded strangely appealing.

“When he fell asleep on top of me after drinking too much at his birthday,” she said, in answer to Diamond’s question. “That was when I knew for certain. Why do you ask, Di? Has someone caught your eye?”

“N-no!” Diamond stammered, blushing. “I was just curious.” She stood. “I think I may go to Long Cleeve for a few days. That way Freddie and Mel can stay in my room for the wedding. I have not seen my brothers for some time.”

Diamond left two days later, which was the day before the actual wedding. Once again, Merry was tempted to leave also. Diamond’s brothers were all fine fellows. But he knew that Estella would want him at the wedding.

The wedding itself was quite a small event, so far as Brandybuck weddings were concerned. Saradoc, as the Master of Buckland, conducted the ceremony, but he did not look very happy to be doing so. Like most folk, he had expected Celandine to become Celandine Took, not Celandine Proudfoot.

The witnesses for the ceremony were Tulip Chubb and Rollo Grubb, both of whom had been members of the rebel band. Tulip and Rollo would be marrying themselves within the next few weeks.

During the ceremony, Berilac whispered to his cousin, “Merry, what’s this nonsense about Pippin being summoned by the King? And where’s Diamond?”

“She was not invited, so she went back to Long Cleeve for a few days,” Merry replied. “As for Pippin, I have no idea where he is, but I wish I had gone with him!”

A guest sitting nearby hushed them, angrily. Celandine and Sancho were speaking their vows. Berry and Merry smiled sheepishly, and Estella had to stifle a giggle.

Merry let out a relieved breath that he had not realised he had been holding when his father pronounced Sancho and Celandine married. The first dance was performed, and Celandine threw her posy. Mentha Brandybuck caught it, Melilot’s elder sister, who was being courted by Ferdi. Fredegar nudged his blushing cousin playfully in the side.

Neither Merry nor Berilac felt like dancing on this particular day, so they stood by a table of drinks with their wives and continued the conversation they had been holding earlier.

“You really have no idea where Pippin has gone?” Berry asked.

Merry shrugged. “Probably to visit some of our friends, in which case, the King’s summon story would not be too far from the truth. Oh, and that reminds me!” Merry placed the glass he had been holding on the table and went in search of Celandine.

“Oh, Merry, how lovely to see you,” she greeted when he found her. “It was wonderful that your King did not summon you also.” Merry noticed the tone in her voice, but chose to ignore it.

“Pippin was very sorry that he would be missing your wedding,” he lied. “Would you mind if I had a word with you?”

Celandine followed her cousin away from her new husband, curious as to what he might wish to speak to her about. When they were far enough away from the closest guest, Merry handed Celandine the necklace that Pippin had given to him.

“Pippin had this made for you on our last trip to Gondor,” he stated.

Celandine’s eyes widened at the sight of the golden chain. “It’s beautiful.”

“They call Pippin the Ernil i Pheriannath, the Prince of the Halflings, in Gondor. The people of Minas Tirith would do almost anything for him.”

Celandine’s eyes narrowed. “What are you getting at, Meriadoc?”

“Nothing at all, dear cousin. I simply hope that you are happy in your decision.”

“Just remember, it was his decision too. I waited for him, Merry, I really did.”

The stern look on Merry’s face softened. He had started out being angry with his younger cousin for her treatment of Pippin, but he had forgotten about Pippin’s treatment of her. He patted her shoulder. “I know you did, and I’m sorry. Pippin just has to sort himself out, and then he’ll be happy about his decision.”

Celandine looked at the necklace. “This was going to be a betrothal gift, wasn’t it?”

Merry nodded. “He still wanted you to have it. Besides, we don’t know anyone else named Celandine to give it to instead.”

She laughed, and clasped the necklace around her neck. “Do you suppose…do you think Pippin would mind if I told Sancho it was from you and Estella too? He might not like me wearing a necklace that was meant to be a betrothal gift from another lad.”

“I’m sure Pippin would not mind in any way. He would be glad that you liked his gift so much. And now, you’d best return to your husband. He seems to be getting anxious.”

Celandine giggled, and kissed Merry’s cheek.

Merry rejoined Estella, Berilac and Pimpernel. Pervinca, Everard, Fredegar and Melilot were with them now as well.

“What did you just give Celandine, Merry?” Pimpernel asked.

“A present,” he replied.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List