Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Magnificent  by Pervinca

Magnificent

 

6: An Unwelcome Invitation

S.R. 1424

When Merry returned home one afternoon from visiting his parents at Brandy Hall, he was surprised to see Pippin, rather violently, chopping wood. The look on Pippin's face convinced Merry that conversation at this time would not be the best of ideas. He slipped inside, and Pippin was so involved with his work, he hardly noticed.

"Good afternoon, Merry," Diamond greeted.

"Hullo, Diamond," he returned. "Do you have any idea why Pippin's in such a foul mood?"

She shook her head. "He's been out there a good while now. I thought it best to stay inside. Pippin can be quite frightening when he loses his temper. Stella might have some idea of what's wrong."

With a nod, Merry continued into the cottage in search of his wife. He found her in the sitting room, knitting a blanket for Pimpernel and Berilac's soon to be born baby.

"Love, do you know what's wrong with Pippin?" he asked, after a brief kiss.

Estella grinned. "Where would you like me to start?"

"I'm serious, Stella! He hates chopping wood, but he's out there with a huge stack already done."

Estella became serious also. She stood and picked up an open letter from a nearby table. "I can't be certain, but I would guess that this has something to do with it."

Merry was about to scold Estella for reading Peregrin's mail, but realised that the letter was addressed to Meriadoc and Estella Brandybuck. Confused, he took out the letter and read it.

It only took a moment for everything to fall into place. It was not a letter, but an invitation to the wedding of Sancho Proudfoot and Celandine Brandybuck. Merry assumed that Pippin had received a similar invitation.

"Celandine's marrying Sancho," he sighed. "Poor Pip - I think he's always hoped that they could work everything out between them."

Estella nodded. "He took one look at the invitation and stormed out immediately."

"Was the invitation addressed only to him?"

"I don't know, but I suppose so."

"Celandine might have addressed it to Peregrin Took and partner. That would have only made him angrier." Merry sighed again and wrapped his arms around Estella. "What am I going to do?"

Estella snuggled close to him. They had both suspected this day would eventually arrive, but neither of them had thought about how to handle Pippin when it did. "He probably just needs time to let off some steam. Let him finish up that wood, and then perhaps you could try and talk to him. Maybe suggest that he speak with Celandine himself. Who knows? It might help."

Merry smiled down at the love of his life. "My wonderful Stella, what would I do without you?"

* * * * * *

Pippin heard Merry approach before he saw him.

"Enjoying yourself, cousin?" Merry asked.

"Go away, Meriadoc," Pippin growled. "I don't feel like talking just now."

"And why would that be?"

"You know perfectly well why! You and Estella were sent an invitation the same as mine. You are cordially invited to the wedding of Sancho Proudfoot and Celandine Brandybuck. It was so nice of Celandine to let everyone know that they were marrying."

"Perhaps she had her reasons for waiting until the invitations were sent out," Merry offered. "Besides, Pippin, I thought you were over Celandine."

Pippin sighed, and put down the axe that was in his hands. "So did I, but now I'm not so sure. It's so confusing."

"You should go and talk to her, Peregrin. Find out her side of this story. She may be just as confused as you are."

"Why would she be? She's already decided who she wants to be with."

"Pippin, please, I know it will make you feel better - clear your head a little."

"Well, all right, Merry," said Pippin, sounding very much like he had in his childhood, when Merry had suggested that they turn themselves in for a prank they had pulled. "If you think that's the best thing to do. I'll go tomorrow morning."

Merry smiled. "A good decision, my dear cousin. And now, perhaps you may be able to convince Estella to make you your favourite meal for dinner tonight. After all, look at all the wood you've chopped!"

* * * * * *

The next morning, Celandine Brandybuck sat in her room, brushing her hair and thinking about her upcoming marriage. Most of the invitations would have been delivered by now, and she found herself wondering how Pippin had taken the news.

As hard as she tried not to, Celandine's thoughts had been drifting to Peregrin ever since she had accepted Sancho's proposal. Occasionally, a voice inside her head would ask if she really believed she had made the right decision.

"Of course it's the right decision," she mumbled, putting the brush down.

"Talking to yourself, Celandine?" a voice asked.

Celandine gasped, and turned to see Pippin standing in front of the closed door of her bedroom. The look on his face was grim, but his eyes were red.

"Pippin!" she cried, when she found her voice. "How did you get in here?"

"My uncle is the head of this family and the Master of this Hall, Celandine," he replied, curtly. "It really was not all that difficult."

Her eyes narrowed at his tone. "Can I assume that your invitation arrived today?"

"It did, though I would have preferred prior notice. You could have at least told me he had proposed."

"Well, it only happened a few days ago," said Celandine, turning her back to him. "Everyone, besides our families, of course, found out in the same way - through an invitation."

Pippin was shocked to hear this and made no effort to hide it. "He only proposed a few days ago? You're organising the wedding rather quickly, then. He hasn't...you're not with a child, are you?"

"Of course not!" she snapped, though she understood it was a logical assumption to make. Her brother, Doderic, had asked the same question. "We simply wish to be married as soon as possible. Sancho is more aware of how to treat a lass than others I know."

Pippin turned away. Celandine had known exactly how and where to hit him. He was often very ashamed of his promiscuous tweenaged years.

"I'm sorry," he muttered.

Celandine sighed heavily. "Pippin, we went through this before. You left me so many times - how could you expect me to wait? I want to get married!"

He wondered at her words. "You're marrying Sancho because you want to be married? Do you not love him?"

"Don't be stupid - of course I love him." Celandine worried that her claim would not convince Pippin. In truth, she was not so sure herself that she loved Sancho.

They had become friends during the Occupation of the Shire. Both had joined Fredegar Bolger's band of rebels, though when Sancho had joined, he had been badly beaten by ruffians. Celandine had tended his injuries and nursed him back to health. Sancho had loved her ever since, but whether she ever loved him was a different matter.

"Did you ever love me?" Peregrin presently asked.

This time, Celandine had to tell the truth. "I did, and I suppose I still do. That's the way it works with first loves, isn't it? They stay in your heart the longest, even though they've broken it."

"Yes, that must be how it works," Pippin answered, softly.

"Honestly, Pippin, if I had married while you were off adventuring, you would not have cared!" Celandine's temper was becoming short. Having Pippin there was stirring up some emotions that had long been buried, and she did not like it.

Pippin's ears had pricked up at her words. "While you were off adventuring." He knew what he had to do.

"Celandine, please forgive me for the pain I have caused you," he said. "I wish you all the best with Sancho." And with that he left the room, and a very confused Celandine.

* * * * * *

Merry, Estella and Diamond had just sat down for morning tea when Pippin returned. He did not seem particularly upset, but he did only acknowledge them with a wave before continuing on to his room.

With a sigh, Merry stood to follow after him. Curiousity got the better of Estella and Diamond, and they followed too.

When they reached his room, they found Pippin throwing various items of clothing into a pack on his bed. He had half-dressed into his Gondorian livery.

"Pippin, what do you think you're doing?" Merry asked, though he could take a fairly accurate guess.

"Celandine said that if she had married while I was off adventuring, I would not have cared," Pippin replied, as he stuffed a shirt into the pack. "So, that is what I am going to do."

"Oh, Pippin, you can't miss the wedding!" Estella pleaded.

"I have to Stella. If I stay, I'm guaranteed to do something stupid. I'll ruin the wedding for everyone, and I would never forgive myself."

"Where are you going?" Merry asked, more than a little tempted to join his cousin. He had never much liked Sancho Proudfoot (though never admitted it).

"Don't know yet," answered Pippin. "Away from here."

"But you've only just come back!" Diamond argued.

"It's been a year." Pippin finished his packing. He retrieved a golden chain from one of his drawers. Merry and Estella knew what it was. During their last visit to Gondor, Pippin had had the necklace made. It had a pendant of a celandine, and Pippin had been going to use it as a betrothal gift.

Pippin handed the necklace to Merry. "Give this to Celandine for me. It's still a flower, so it won't be completely against the tradition*. Tell them all that the King summoned me."

Merry nodded. Pippin had made it perfectly clear that he wished to go alone, and Merry would not go against this. He knew that Pippin was hurting deep inside and needed this chance to sort himself out. "Don't be gone too long, little cousin."

Pippin grinned at Merry. He then squeezed Estella's shoulder and kissed her forehead. With Diamond, he was unsure what do to, so he lightly kissed her cheek. "You may take my place at the wedding, if you'd like."

"Can't I come with you?" she whispered.

Pippin considered it for a moment, but shook his head. There was no denying that Diamond was a cause of his current state of confusion. Having her with him on this journey was likely to make matters worse.

"I need to do this by myself," was all he said.

Collecting his pack, Pippin left the room to ready Mithrandir for their journey.

* * * * * *

* "No presents were given at or during celebration of Hobbit weddings, except flowers." The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #214





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List