Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From the Bottom of My Heart  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Three - Haysend

Saradoc tethered his pony to a young leafless birch tree with snow in the crooks of its branches. There were countless number of hobbits meandering about the market place today at Haysend, and more than likely, it was the Yuletide that brought them here. Saradoc cupped his gloved hands to his face and blew into them to warm them up some; his breath escaped between his fingers in vapors. The snow reached past his ankles as he trudged through it towards the Hay Gate. There were a few merchants of the Big Folk close inside, but usually ventured no further. He looked into the crowd of booths but did not see the tradesman he sought. He spied a familiar hobbit standing near to the vendor selling confections. Saradoc yelled to him, “Hey, Hob!”

An older looking hobbit standing near a fire pit warming his hands turned around at hearing his name called. “Hullo, Mister Saradoc!”

Saradoc met up with him at the fire pit. “Hullo, Hob. I’m looking for Galion the jewel dealer. Have you seen him?”

The other hobbit shook his head. “No, I haven’t, and I‘ve been watching the Gate all day. I know he’s supposed to be here soon. I purchased a gold locket from him for my daughter, Sage.”

Saradoc rubbed his hands in front of the fire. “Then I suppose we shall wait together.”

~ ~ ~

Everyone waited expectantly for luncheon at the table in the dining room. It was set to begin as soon as the Master sat in his own chair at the head. “Has anyone seen Sara?” Esmeralda was becoming concerned. While her husband may skip a meal here and there because of business, he always requested a tray and left word with someone of his intentions. That way, his wife would sit in his stead and begin the meal.

It was not until later in the afternoon that Esmeralda’s concern turned into unease. Her husband was nowhere to be found. She knocked on Merry’s door to see if he had seen or received word regarding his father.

“No. I even went to his study earlier as you suggested, and he wasn’t there. I’m getting worried, Mum.”

“So am I,” Said Esmeralda, “but where do I begin looking for him if we’ve already been to his study, and no one else has seen him, either?”

Merry thought about it for a moment. “I didn’t search the office, nor did I go out to the stables to see if he’d taken his pony for a ride. I shall do all of that first before we raise the alarm that he’s missing.”

After walking his mother back to her rooms, Merry went directly to his father’s new office. He walked up to the door and then crouched down near the threshold. He shoved his fingers under the door and felt along the floor when his fingers touched the key. Pulling it out, he unlocked the door and stepped inside.

Merry’s eyes scanned the lifeless office. The air was chilled; no fire was set in the hearth. It just did not seem right that his father was not reclining in his high-back leather chair with his feet on the desk, or stretched out for a nap on the long couch. Merry sat down in the leather “throne”, as he jokingly referred to it, his hands caressing its supple texture. It all seemed too big for him...or was it the title of Master he was thinking of? Leaving his thoughts, he began to search through the desk drawers for clues of Saradoc’s whereabouts. He had thoroughly searched through each one when he still came up empty, and slammed the last drawer in frustration. This isn’t like him! Where is he? How can he be so selfish as to leave without word? Just as he leaned forward to get up from the chair, he spotted an open envelope tucked under the desk blotter. Only a tiny sliver was peeking out from under it. Hullo! What’s this? He lifted the blotter’s edge and took the envelope into his hands, turning it about to have a look at the address. There was no return address. He took out the letter and read it:

Master Brandybuck,

The ring and pendant you ordered are finished, and I might add they look splendid. I will be at the Hay Gate on 1 Yule for several hours. Meet me there.

Galion, son of Fallon

Jewel Mercantile of Bree"

Merry refolded the letter and stuck it inside the inner pocket of his waistcoat. So, Haysend is where he went off to. Merry smiled. A ring and a pendant? That scoundrel! He’s going to out-do my portrait! Then his smile faded. If his dad left before dawn as his mother indicated earlier and everything went according to plan, he should’ve returned by now; it was a quarter to three in the afternoon. It should only be a two or three hour ride at the most between Brandy Hall and Haysend on a good day, but with snow? Still, he should have been back already--and the sun will be setting in a couple of hours. Merry lunged out of the chair and ran to his apartment to fetch his coat and tell his mother what he was about to do...though he would leave out a couple details.

~ ~

It was frigid outside even though Merry was wearing his gloves, woolen coat and fur lined cloak. The snow was still soft under the soles of his feet as he made his way towards the stables.

“Merry!”

Merry paused at the stable gate when he heard his cousin Merimas yelling for him, riding in on his own pony. “Hullo, Merimas. I can’t stay; I must ride out immediately.”

“Where to? It’s freezing out here for one, and two--the day is nearly done.” Puffs of white vapor emitted from Merimas’ mouth as he spoke.

Merry briefly explained what he had just learned through the letter that he found in the Master’s office.

“But Merry, you can’t go out alone! It’s too cold for that. I shall accompany you.”

“But, cousin, you’ve just been out in the cold yourself--you’ll end up sick.”

“Remember a few weeks ago when you wouldn’t change out of your wet clothes?” Merimas smiled, “I, too, am a Brandybuck--and I can be just as stubborn!”

Merry was not relishing the idea of going out into the cold alone, either, so he welcomed the companionship. “Thanks, cousin.”

~ ~ ~

Saradoc stood in the shivering cold for over three hours waiting for the merchant from Bree. Fortunately, the Gate watchers allowed him to stand near their bonfire for warmth. Galion finally arrived at the Hay Gate at one o’clock. Saradoc shivered as he inspected the jewelry, made his purchase, and was off back towards Brandy Hall. Saradoc took a glove off for a moment to look at his pocket watch; half past two. This was supposed to be a quick trip; Essie must be worried.

He smiled as he imagined a thousand times over how he would present the lavish gift to his wife on their anniversary tomorrow. She is worth every pence and more! Should he get down on bended knee as he did when he proposed to her? Or, on the other hand, should he get dressed in his finest, as he did when he married her, and slip it tenderly on her finger as she stood gaping at its beauty?

In the midst of his thoughts, Saradoc suddenly found himself face down in the cold snow. It had happened so fast, he barely recalled how he got there. Then he remembered the pony stumbled heavily in the road. She had apparently slipped on a rock and thrown a shoe. Though still stunned, Saradoc right away patted down his coat pockets feeling for a small box. He let out a long breath when his gloved hand felt the box in his right breast pocket. He looked at the limping pony; he could not ride her now. He took the pony’s reins and began to walk. He had passed Standelf not too long ago--should he walk back and seek shelter there? He decided that he would make use of the remaining daylight and head straight for Brandy Hall.

As he marched on in the freezing snow, Saradoc started to shiver all over again. To keep his mind off the road and the cold, he let his mind wander ahead of him to where warmth and the love of his life waited for him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List